Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Honestly a ton of fun, basically Fury Road meets Conan Exiles with Atlas style open world, get in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I literally could care less if people refund, it's a good game and will stand on its merits if/when it becomes playable. They obviously need to wipe it but whatever. Big takeaway from this week was seeing the entire world have the same "huh, cool" response. Its gonna be a successful game.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

So despite the godawful launch I still think some credit is warranted to us goons for telling the devs to hold off on the release and make the game/balance better first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjK3UYhOp20&t=112s

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Pretty sure they just released a Netflix documentary about the multi thread rivalry between khad and dicks

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

This thread is quiet mainly because we're all having a great time killing each other daily in massive battles. Pretty sure we had like 50 goons on discord at some point today. Game is extremely good, get in

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yeah this game rules. Kind of a contrarian take but I love the burning and emphasis on nomadic gameplay, especially as a leveling factor causing diminishing returns to playing too much and hoarding too much. Endless respect for a game that respects my time.

My biggest gripe was that when the pop started dropping off, they didn't burn servers fast enough and as a result everything got super empty in like a week. The whole point of the burn was to act as a pressure release valve for player density, so the game would feel the same no matter how many people were playing.

Anyway I'll probably give this another go during the October update but only hop on a couple times a week. Easy to get burned out but this is still the best mmo out there imo.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Absolutely, the amount of fun stuff you can do in this game is beyond anything else right now. It's so many great game mechanics plugged into the same single world. Custom walkers, mount and blade style combat, voice chat, grappling hooks, turrets, deployable bases, goddamn wingsuits. It's honestly overwhelming.

The biggest conflict when I played with goons was me wanting to always be running around killing stuff on far-ranging patrols but feeling like I ought to be patrolling our hex, grinding, or contributing to the base. Like obviously that stuff is important from a teching up/gearing up perspective, not trying to diss anybody's playstyle, but that was the systemic mechanic that eventually burnt me out on the game.

Those patrols were so much goddamn fun. Extorting every pubby we came across, looting whatever we could find, running from zergs, acting on tips and stealing tablets from our hated nemesis in the middle of their "safe hex", finding enemy camps and leading our battle fleet straight to them, that was the best part of the game for me.

One of the best stories to come out of that was when we rolled up on a whole clan who had just circled their walkers around a temporary base. We outnumbered them about 8 to 6 and all hopped down to start fighting, then for whatever reason (I think we could sense they were new) we all just started yelling at them to be cool. Eventually they chilled out and agreed to send their best fighter to face ours - if they won, we would spare them. Hucklecat stepped up and, luckily for them, he was having an off night and they just barely managed to down him. We let them go and, it turns out, they remembered the encounter so fondly they actually came out to the hex next to ours and joined our alliance.

Then there was that other time where Burlington and I were grappled to some fleeing dudes and their walker dragged ours down into a crevasse. We collect ourselves and look up to see that they and another enemy walker are just pouring naked dudes over to our walker (still stuck in a tree) we hop down and fight them probably 4v2 for a good two minutes straight, with them respawning every time we took one of them down. Eventually they ran out of water and we were able to escape. There's a video of it somewhere. Still doesn't hold a candle to the time I bore witness to Forge going apeshit on 10 guys at once for a full minute and winning.

Anyway, guess I'm trying to say this game is absolutely the most fun mmo available right now and has something for pretty much anyone. If you're interested, absolutely give it a try the next time we goonrush it, or even just with a friend or two on your own. You will have a ton of memorable experiences.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Now's our chance TT

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I guess you always do have the option of just packing it up and parking it off the map? Maybe they want structures to be less sprawing and more purposeful. That still seems really high though.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Being good is never a requirement for playing with goons nor is it particularly important to having a fun time with this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Lots of changes for the better this time around. With stronger portable bases you see actual on-map settlements too. Little customized shacks for each person. Bases have a lot more character this time around and a stronger sense of community.