Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus
Tonight I got my first stiletto on my 3rd day of playing, we used it to defend the base from a twitch streamer who kept screaming about peasants and let us see where he was on the map until he fixed it. Then we killed a crab with my walker which was fun as hell, then I lost everything on it to the twitch streamer who has a massive erection for us now and he allied with a bunch of pubbies to attack us. 10/10 would lose a bunch of poo poo again. And the goonsirs that helped me with my ship, thanks.
Edit: RIP our watch towers and rupu slings. We tried to defend buuuut there wasn't enough of us.

DrCaptainSir fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus
God these servers are terrible and crash all the time every time.

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus

nakieon posted:

Anybody still playing this? They just came out with big update confirming seasonal wipes (seems to be a 3-6 month duration type deal), with the first wipe dropping the same day their Commerce update comes out. This would be sometime in October.

I really like this game and I think if they can solve the player retention issues this could be great.

Honestly they need to make the burning a month and have it do two rows or whatever. The burning I feel is what really killed it for everyone. And now they are just doing more bad things to the game. I think if they ever made the private server stuff more...usable I'd probably host a server for people to gently caress around on. But yeah, their server hosting is a complete joke and really limited.

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus

nakieon posted:

Yeah, I think the biggest population drop was like a few weeks after the burn. Hell, the burn is why I stopped even owning personal ships myself and just become a guy who would respond to pvp pings and spawn on other peoples ships. Just too much busywork just to farm water and move west to east constantly. I feel the glory days of LO were before the burn, it just felt like everybody was playing and fighting over land. It was honestly great.

Aye, plus their private server infra seems almost like a cash grab because you need a separate server per tile or something like that. So private servers are usually just one single tile and that isn't really indicative of official server gameplay.

Yeah, I hosted a private server for rupucams for a while to give us a place to test things out and all that jazz. But I could only set harvest amount and a few more trivial settings. There were no RCON commands or anything because even though Nitrado was hosting the actual server, DonkeyCrew were in charge of the server configs. It was rear end to deal with. You could even change tiles but to only get one tile per server was stupid and you couldn't even link tiles either

I chatted with Nitrado on the phone a few times even and I truly felt bad for the guys because they had several people calling and bitching at them about stuff that they couldn't do anything about because of the agreements they had with donkey crew. ugh.

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus

Arven posted:

If the burn was there from the beginning they probably would have been fine. I think the huge abrupt meta shift and rendering of so much people's work pointless was what did it, not the mechanic iteself.

I agree. I actually am really hoping they make private servers viable because I think playing this with a bunch of goons could still be fun.

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus
We took a Dinghy out with 8 people last night and raised chaos while our main base got bitch slapped and people hid from the big bad mans. Now we ran away and are rebuilding on another tile. Hopefully round 2 will be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus

Nalin posted:

It was quite an epic ride. We had multiple large guilds chasing our dinghy around the server in a fit of rage. A horizon filled with walkers desperately chasing us.

Actually a dude records most of our fun fights and shenanigans. This was the dinghy one. Also my favorite part was when we were running from all those walkers made the perfect jump then had a tree shove up our dinghy and flipped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuX3R72LU0I

Video recording, many laughs and dudes bad at fighting are seen.

Also last night we got into some trouble that was only slightly my fault. We knew some guys that were allies of the dudes we quit being allies with were leaving the tile and they were dicks anyway. So I hatched up an idea to put a ballista spider or two up on top of a hill and snipe/harass them while they packed up to leave which they were doing.

Someone ended up saying in local to get ready for the raid instead of chatting in clan so I was like welp lets go now! So we got into position with one spider, while our 2nd one and Spanks with his insane battle Mollusc aka Bang Bus hurried in. We basically spent a good 20 minutes making their lives hell and blew up a bunch of stuff. Then the enemy started screaming at driss to come save them because well driss was the dudes that were on this tile earlier.

Basically what happened next is we left and then got mobbed by driss and some of their lackeys I think or maybe it was just coincidence. The guys that we fought that weren't driss were actually chill dudes and didn't wing or deck anybody that they could've. Just wanted fights.

Anyway it was a bit crazy for a bit but also fun. Always poke the hornets nest!

Also hey! Last Oasis is on sale for like 34% off. Not a bad deal if you are thinking of playing and want to come smack some mans.

DrCaptainSir fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 26, 2020