Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I missed the firefly op due to family priorities but caught the tail end of the discord chatter. Sounds like the dinghy support role is my jam. Could someone explain the setup a little?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Game is good. Like legit good. Not broken ironic goon game good. Legit good. It's early access, some stuff is imbalanced,. etc.. Regardless, we have a loving awesome group of goons to play with and it's just plain fun to play. Currently we're doing guerrilla warfare since our main tile was taken by a clan 1000x our size and it took them weeks to finally run us out and the shear fact we held off so long is legendary. Like I actually login to play because I want to, like when is the last time you played a game just because you wanted to, no other reason?

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Comrayn posted:

Hey I like this game this comment does not take away from your assertion that the game is good but reevaluate your relationship with video games.

Haha fair point. This is why I quit most MMOs, they start to feel like a chore, gotta login to do my dailies for the thousandth time... etc.. When that happens it's time to go.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Game is fine. These games are always best right at launch if you want to play it as an mmo, and we're past that now. Goons and a lot of other people played the crap out of it for the first couple months and folks are starting to take breaks. It's actually a pretty good time to solo since there's drastically fewer pirate clans and griefers roving around right now. Devs are still releasing good updates slowly but surely. New map and new walker are both cool. If you want large scale pvp this instant then the goon clan isn't what you're looking for though. Once more content has been added and there's an actual endgame loop expect a little resurgence.

The desert aesthetic really lends itself to a low population survival game. I hope the pop increases for the devs sake and because I want more content, but I'm kind of digging the lone wastelander feel right now.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Jerry Garcia's Ghost posted:

So you can break your base out without fear of getting ganked these days? Can you go into a meteor crash site and clean up without being ganked?

More so than in the past. It's generally best to have two bases. One for higher value/time consuming items that you keep relatively small and can unpack/deposit/withdraw/pack within the temporary protective bubble you get when zoning in, and have that in a dedicated bank walker you likewise only use to pop in/out of zones, and another base for crafting that you unpack for longer intervals if things look safe. Though honestly the game encourages you to craft on walkers and keep moving. On a mollusk you can fit one of every type of crafting station (put the higher value ones inside) and be running jobs as you drive around, and this setup is super cheap to get started solo. You can also graduate to bigger walkers with more stations but that's going to work better with a buddy or two. You really only need a big crafting base deployed for larger group projects, and for those you're going to team up with folks and provide protection.

Anyway, it's still a risk and will vary zone to zone, but if you play it smart you can get away with a lot more than you used to.

Meteor tiles can be soloed fairly well these days but you need to be quick in/out and pick your battles. The general setup is a spider walker and disposable gear, deposit ore frequently and first sign of trouble do a safe logout of the walker to start the timer and then kite the enemy away on foot until the walker logs.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
The burn sounded good in theory and if it was on a longer timer, like 30-60 days it'd probably be ok, but right now it blows and it's the most common reason I see for people quitting. They had this funny screenshot of the week thing or something shortly after they implemented the burn, and it was often these massive structures that would take a ton of effort to build and will never actually happen now because by the time you'd built it the burn would destroy it in a couple days and splitting it up into parts and packing it and reassembling would be impractical and take tons of walkers and time, so no one ever bothers.

The player falloff sucks because drat this was fun goofing around with goons during the beginning.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
It was ok when I wasn't working during the lockdown, but once hours picked up I spent more than half my available play time just moving walkers due to the burn. I'd rather be doing other stuff in the game. I don't mind if it takes effort to move my entire fleet, but zero-to-hero gets tedious as the only option to meet up with friends and prevents you from trying out larger builds. If they don't want to extend the timers, maybe they could offer a perk that eliminates the sand and water costs for one walker per week for a limited duration, or something that would allow for quickly hoping back into the game now and then while still allowing for a little progression.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
That new panda walker sounds like a step in the right direction in terms of moving walkers during the burn, though I still wouldn't risk my entire fleet being packed in a single target so it would still be multiple trips to catch up to the current tile.

Would be fun to roll into a zone and unpack 5 titans :byobear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

nakieon posted:

So they introduced merchants that sell a limited number of tablets (around 15 tabs per merchant) for something like 5k flots each.

This sounds like a very good change.