Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

Anybody still playing this? They just came out with big update confirming seasonal wipes (seems to be a 3-6 month duration type deal), with the first wipe dropping the same day their Commerce update comes out. This would be sometime in October.

I really like this game and I think if they can solve the player retention issues this could be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

DrCaptainSir posted:

Honestly they need to make the burning a month and have it do two rows or whatever. The burning I feel is what really killed it for everyone. And now they are just doing more bad things to the game. I think if they ever made the private server stuff more...usable I'd probably host a server for people to gently caress around on. But yeah, their server hosting is a complete joke and really limited.

Yeah, I think the biggest population drop was like a few weeks after the burn. Hell, the burn is why I stopped even owning personal ships myself and just become a guy who would respond to pvp pings and spawn on other peoples ships. Just too much busywork just to farm water and move west to east constantly. I feel the glory days of LO were before the burn, it just felt like everybody was playing and fighting over land. It was honestly great.

Aye, plus their private server infra seems almost like a cash grab because you need a separate server per tile or something like that. So private servers are usually just one single tile and that isn't really indicative of official server gameplay.

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

Ninogan posted:

Was a fun game at launch but just like with so many other titles like it it feels like you can get a few weeks entertainment out of it before it's dead and done.

Ninogan, is that you from Mortal Online?

If so, I actually saw Smasher (from Envy in MO) and RevirTV (from TOP in MO - bonus kill pic after he talked trash) playing. I believe Smasher ended up insiding Revival or something (it was a red flag clan, I forget the name, it wasn't FoE though) and forming some yellow color clan called Coom, no idea if they are still around.

This game was still insanely fun even when the game hit 1k players peak but I have a bit of a different perpective since I was one of the main pvp leaders (specifically a pvp trainer, but I made callouts on the field here and there) for FC-GC which was a dark purple clan that merged together in south NA E a bit later in the game - like late May? FC being Full Control and GC being Good Company (which I came from). I think Liverupucams had already moved on by the time we formed FC-GC though. At least as a leader the game was fun in during it's death throes but I didn't feel the same way when FC-GC disbanded because of some drama with our main leader (Waters) who wanted to dissolve the leadership council which I and 7 others were part of and become a dictator. I ended up joining another white color clan in NA W called Aurora and was some lowly member and the game wasn't as fun anymore. Ended up quitting like mid-July and the game was dead by then.

I'm hoping the October wipe will bring a lot of players back, but I think that the game has been gamed enough that it's only gonna be good for actual fun for a few weeks to a month max. They need to fix some core problems because all the zergs (and FC-GC and the clan I joined was guilty of this too so I'm not discounting my part) started relying on tilecapping to win tiles - it was too easy to do it that way. In some cases, we would tilecap hours before vulnerability and just sit there to take a tile without any real risk. The game got really boring when that became the main strategy in the tile metagame. The game is so much more fun when a bunch of marauders on multiple dinghys and stilettos are just duking it out making plays on the field. If they can encourage that kind of play...

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

Nalin posted:

That's what killed it for the main goon guild. OwO learned they could just cap our tiles hours before the timer and there was nothing we could do about it. And when they did that, they also prevented anybody who had logged out on that tile from playing the game as you could only death warp to a free tile after first logging into the capped tile, which you couldn't do because it was capped and you were stuck in queue. That should have been their #1 priority to fix. If you constantly have people unable to even play the game because they have to sit through a queue first, they will find something else to play.

Aye. As far as I know, DC didn't even fix the death warp thing. I think they added a queue cancel option, but it doesn't always work and you only get stuck in lobby. You should still be able to travel, but if you had no walker or something you're completely SOL. DC also tried to fix the tilecap thing with the "A tile's controlling clan gets reserved slots either equal to clan size of tile or up to 20." change but 20 is so low to properly fight zergs and zergs regularly swarm 2, 5, 10 man clan size tiles with no issues anyway, I have no idea what they were thinking with that change.

My plan in October is to train up to a dinghy and bonespike sword and just go kill people. Maybe rush Wyndan Saber if I'm feeling good, but nowhere past that. If by some miracle I continue to play, maybe Wingsuit so relatively risk-free solo pirating becomes possible.

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

https://steamcommunity.com/games/903950/announcements/detail/2815270122230313800

TLDR: October wipe isn't happening now - delayed for later when content patch actually drops on the live branch. Looks like all changes will be deployed to a new permanent test/beta branch that we can opt into via steam. I'll probably still check it out in Oct but hopefully enough people are playing so we can actually have a nice "launch day/week" feel and have some cheap fun killing people. I'm not 100% sure whether this new test/beta branch will continue to have higher gather rates and 33% research costs but I assume it would.

nakieon fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 24, 2020

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

New Volcanyon map seems interesting, wonder what they drop more materials of and what the POIs look like/give.

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

Jerry Garcia's Ghost posted:

When does that come out so that the current 300 people playing can see it

Already came out as of like a day or two ago, but :laffo: :sadday:

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

Beta branch coming tomorrow w/ Commerce updates. Should be fun.

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

So they introduced merchants that sell a limited number of tablets (around 15 tabs per merchant) for something like 5k flots each. You can do quests and easily get thousands of flots. This led to proxies already being built and claiming medium oases within 24 hours.

And Wingsuits being sold for 10k flots in some places, and whatnot

nakieon fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 23, 2020

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

Big fan of the changes put forth today except for Upkeep system. It looks like upkeep is not similar to Rust in that it appears linear (Rust has "tiers" and it gets worse upkeep as you build past breakpoints) and is about 1/3 of the base's build costs every 24 hours. In other words, every 72 hours it costs the same as rebuilding the entire base if you leave it out during that entire time.

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

cmdrk posted:

Is this game gonna pick up at all after the wipe? seems like only a couple hundred playing these days.

It likely will for a bit, but it's going to get stomped into a few hundred players again because the megazergs are still coming back and they never added any real kind of capping on big zergs like that. No hard tile caps or anything like that. Uganda has 200+ members ready to go for example and will dominate EU and they are working on NA-East recruitment for their NA division. I believe the big clans that had the blue donut in NA-West are coming back as well so NA-East is going to be a big melting pot again. Should be fun for at least a few weeks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

Are yall the hot pink/purple color clan "BAD GAMES CREW"? Ha, I think my clan ran into yall earlier tonight. I like a lot of the changes but holy heck proxies are expensive now! Just the proxy license is 100k flots.

nakieon fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 24, 2020