Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm betting Italy will win.

I had to check - I played a diplomacy game here on SA over twelve(!) years ago and won as Italy. It can be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Xerophyte posted:

This said, the most important skills in Dippy aren't really about good strategy on the board: they're talking to everyone all the time, replying promptly to everything and always being available as everyone's first partner in any scheme.

I'll echo this. Your current enemy might be your future ally. If you don't keep talking to your enemies, they'll never have a chance become your friends. Keep your friends close, your enemies closer, and the enemy of my enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Dash Rendar posted:

Is it obvious from the board moves what is going on?

No. Can we get full moves? It would be nice to confirm that Russia held two of her units. When bounces happen it's going to get confusing.

Early things to note is that no one gets Belgium without foreign help this year, England and France seem to have some kind of agreement as neither made any kind of threatening moves against each other, and I'm not entirely sure what Germany and Russia are thinking/doing.

Austria/Italy - you're doing good. Meaning neither of you hosed it up so far. Good. Keep doing that.

Germany - this is a completely different game if you tried to move to Burgundy. Hopefully there was a reason for that, but given the pro-England moves it doesn't look great for you.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Similarly, Turkey moving its fleet to Eastern Med or Aegean and army to Con is, in my opinion, a stronger opening than what they went with

They can't though, the fleet starts in Ankara.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Thoughts:
-I like what Italy and England are doing.
-France too but I'm curious about the fleet in Brest. One to keep an eye on.
-Austria also built a curious fleet. Russia seems content to sit there, so build armies instead and go attack!
-Germany may have salvaged the situation if there was a French agreement over Belgium. That might explain the fleet in Brest.
-Turkey has made no mistakes yet is going to get pounded because they don't have an ally that can help. No moves on Rumania or the Black Sea means Turkey's going to lose Bulgaria, and Russia will get no help in return against the Balkans. The army in Moscow can't help any unit at all next turn, maybe building it in St. Pete would have been better? Turkey's hope is that Russia appears so weak that Italy and Austria attack each other early enough that Turkey can survive.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Dr. Snark posted:

I...goddamnit that border was impassible when I tried to move a ship from Petersburg to there and I didn't even think of the drat army.

breathes in Ooookay. Not happy. Stupid loving mountain border...

The fleet starts on the south coast of St. Pete. A fleet can't move from Stp(sc) - Nwy, but can from the north coast.

This is also why France's move to the north coast of Spain is so weird. Moving to the south coast gives France a ton more options from a tactical perspective. Diplomatic reasons for moving to the north coast are that it pacifies Italy and angers England a bit.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
So what was Germany trying to order in Denmark? That has to be a misorder. Germany's made some seriously aggressive moves against Russia. Was Denmark supposed to move into Sweden, or support Norway into Sweden? The eastward push is...interesting, considering the armies France is amassing on Germany's borders.

Austria's probably wishing they had built another army to solidify the front against Russia instead of floating around the Adriatic uselessly.

Turkey's gone full Turkey. Good luck!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
The Triple Alliance is doing well! Italy and Austria did well to back off each other and are working well together. Even better, Germany is involved and the three of those powers are on the verge of something great. Turkey and England are going full defense, France loses a unit, and Russia's about to be split in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I usually feel like moving to Syria as Italy is a mistake. Convoying an army even more so. It's because your units end up so far away from mainland Italy that Austria will be tempted to backstab you, and if they do there isn't much you can do about it. Italy has to remove a unit and I'd think real hard about disbanding the fleet in Syria to instead focus on the France feeding frenzy.