Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Countblanc posted:

it's really hard to enjoy combat when it's just a cacophony of layered voice clips, and struggling with the interface meant i never wanted to open a menu. really hoping that they take the feedback to heart.

I struggle to understand the mindset behind that and why it's so common.

You know the player is going to take an action literally thousands of times over the course of a game. Either make the sound effect completely unobtrusive (jumping in a platformer), or only have it trigger a small percentage of the time.

They'll still hear it plenty but it'll be a treat and a surprise versus something one has to actively try to tune out.

That apparently steps on itself.

(Still looking forward to the demo.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Harrow posted:

I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough about game development to know just how much of a "rough draft" I should expect this to be, especially when the release date is still just "some time in 2020," but I definitely hope there are a lot of UI changes that come between now and release, not to mention things like enemy encounter rate adjustments and stuff like that.

I'm enough of a game and software developer to to comment. If you've got graphics for it which aren't actively repellant, it's supposed to be final. Not just in form but in design -- you greybox these things after you've thought them through on paper. Only then do you make something presentable.

Stuff that made it to a public facing demo is supposed to be final. Someone actively designed it that way. Or, as is more commonly the case, one-or-more someones didn't really design it in advance, they just did a thing.

Fortunately there's a chance for them to get enough pressure to redo it. Though Japanese development studios are disproportionately resistant to what we'd consider modern design sensibilities -- remapping buttons and all.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Octopath's stories were fine in the context they were intended but they pulled the cardinal sin of making something that has hard expectations surrounding it, then frustrating those expectations.

I've done it a time or two myself in hobby games I've made. If people have a certain expectation, you can't go to them and say, "Don't expect that." Or at least, you won't get results from doing so.

Scream "SEPARATE STORIES" all you want, everyone was waiting for them to intertwine.

Worst of both worlds that that half-assedly merged them in the postgame.

I hope this game's story is decent but I'm sad about all the QoL regressions. I'll probably still be down to clown regardless as I want something mechanically crunchy right now and the soundtrack ain't whistlin' Dixie (though I'd be extremely okay if they did that too).

Wasn't this game also made by a different team/studio than BDI? Or am I mixing up Square side-projects?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I enjoyed Bravely Default, I did not play Bravely Second.

I very much enjoyed turning the combat encounters way down for most of the game until it was time to farm, then turning them way up and auto-battling.

I like the idea of crunchy job/team combination stuff, but I don't have a lot of tolerance for time-grind.

I do my grocery shopping tomorrow. Sell me up.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oh, can you change difficulty mid-game or are you locked into it?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Srice posted:

The card game in this rules. I had no idea there was gonna be one and I'm glad it seems mechanically interesting enough to spend time with it.

Nobody mentioned a card game. Off to Target with me!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Is there any way to see how likely poison is to land, or do you just have to spray and pray?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Is the Freelancer Special duration based on actual time as opposed to any in-game turn time or action usage?

I keep accidentally using it due to heavy joycon drift, then I press + to pause 'cause I need to focus on something else, and a minute or two later realize I've just slowed down the combat, taken no actions, and the special is over.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm still for now enjoying the crazy imbalance but it does seem off when the enemies are literally running away from you 'cause you're too high level then the boss right next to them kicks your rear end something fierce.

I've actually stocked up on Phoenix Downs just 'cause they heal more than potions and perform double-duty on the Freelancers when they have a chance to survive at 1HP.

I like knowing the boss' HPs because twice now I've pushed everyone to -3 BP just to squeeze past that finish line, but it's gonna suck whenever that doesn't pan out.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

stev posted:

Man the party is really enabling Elvis' rampant alcoholism. I assume he's steaming at all times given that booze is all he talks or thinks about but he's high functioning enough that it not noticeable.

I like how underplayed Alfyn's alcoholism from Octopath was.

That dude had a problem.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

someone might've already posted this, but it was a bit of a letdown that the first two asterisk bearers

The only disappointing thing about the first two asterisk bearers is that they're not recurring characters.

Dag's accent was delightful.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Srice posted:

Someone hasn't been doing all the sidequests!

I'm somewhat frustrated at you for bullying me into interfacing with their poorly-implemented side-quest system.

They're so inconsistent as to whether they'll be voiced and amusing or phoned in yet require running back and forth between two locations roughly 6 times, and I can't figure out how they decide when things are gonna have icons and when they aren't.

Can you at least spoiler which town such quests show up in?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Srice posted:

[quest spoiler]

I just wrapped up with that town according to the main plot and I even think I found the mansion that you're talking about; it seemed like a cool set piece though I was already higher level than the enemies.

Pretty sure I'd talked to everyone in the town but clearly somehow I missed that one. Thanks!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ytlaya posted:

Btw I saw someone mention not seeing the first two Asterisk holders again

People clued me on on what I missed. I'm glad they did; it was charming.

Caidin posted:

There seems to be this whole game spanning card game thing to do to get it but so many people seem to have gotten it right away that I guess you can just grind points off c rank players loitering around the first two towns until you can play for that job?

I think you just have to play one of each person in the same room you learn about it. The dialogue basically told me to do so, then I immediately got a quest. Played maybe 5 matches before I got the outfit.

And now I'm on a bender. Gotta catch 'em all.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It also won’t automatically activate an inactive quest when you complete an active one which is bad design IMO

I did not even realize quests could go inactive. That would explain a bit about their irregular behavior.

Ugh, menus.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Most of the Square games I've purchased for Switch have not received much if any post-launch support.

They've been mostly fine and generally stable first releases, which indicates that they're great at executing but maybe not so hot at designing.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

How do you even have that much mana?

I can usually only Godspeed Strike twice, maybe three times, a-fore I'm out.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was just trying to get a list of the names of the stats in this game without leaving my desk, but searching that has proved difficult. Everything seems to talk about jobs and abilities and there are a lot of top ten lists.

Including Top 10 Classes for Elvis, where they talk about his jawline and what roles he'd be good at. They spend a whole bunch of words saying how his base stats complement the caster oriented classes and how he does better this-and-that than the other party members.

We've confirmed that all the party members have identical base stats, yeah? And that that article is fake news spun from whole cloth, right?

Except for the jawline bits.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ugh I might be done with the boat system.

I left off yesterday at a save point right before a boss. I wasn't gonna play at all this morning (got other things I'd rather do) but I wanted to cash in on the boat rewards. For whatever reason there wasn't a teleporter near this save point and I didn't wanna have to walk back through much dungeon so I went ahead and fought the boss first.

Boss wasn't difficult but I forgot I'd used all of my Phoenix Downs just killing the trash mobs faster, so when my healer went down slowly everyone else did too. All right, fine, I'll load and use a teleport crystal just so I can get my boat bucks and I'll worry about walking through the dungeon again later.

Turns out if you load your game the boat timer gets reset to 0. Thanks for that, game.

Good in spite of itself is an increasingly apt description.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Even if that was a full 12 hour boat, you missed out on like 4 JP orbs. The boat system asks very little of you and gives pretty minor rewards. It’s just not that big of a thing at the end of the day.

Early on I got one of those humongous JP orbs which was great for maxing somebody's Freelancer.

Just like how I got 6K gold from some grass pretty early.

I think the game was just trying to hook me to engage with otherwise tedious systems.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Farg posted:

godspeed strike is too strong. my team setup for it onr-rounded the final boss

I just noticed that shieldy-job has that ability which causes -speed items in your hand to become +speed items.

I want it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm still a little sad that outfit wasn't Pirate, though.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ytlaya posted:

Is it just me or is Gambler kind of bad? Even the best rolls on its chance-based skills seem to just give "okay" damage.

Gamblers own bones and one of the bosses I fought was with 4x Gamblers.

The special is really nice (full MP for everybody) and Flash the Cash does fixed damage that appears to ignore resistances (though not defaulting).

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ojetor posted:

That's a good tip. In general switching weapons during combat is completely free and it can make a big difference. Particularly later in the game when you have a variety of weapons with useful bonuses like the elemental staves, weapons that are good against enemy types and shields that resist elements.

It did not occur to me that you could do this.

Of course this is also one of those games where I'll spend all my time unlocking all the various jobs just in case I want to use them and by the time I have all of them fully unlocked I'll be done playing the game.

Imagine if this took the BotW approach and said, "Here are all the jobs and abilities. Go bongos."

Probably wouldn't retain people for as long but man would the discovery period be intense.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pollyanna posted:

For those who share my disappointment with where the story is going, what games that measure up to BD1 should I go play to cheer myself up?

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward.

That guy in general is great for big o' twists and melodramatic moments; AI: Somnium Files is probably his best package overall but VLR has the biggest, craziest, twists.

Helps if you've played 999 first but not strictly necessary.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Also the music's better.

Not to say the music here is bad (and I'm fond of how they reuse motifs), but I've listened to the Octopath music outside of the context of the game. They even have a remix album.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was going barehanded then I noticed weapons made number go up higher so hey free attribute open too.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SKULL.GIF posted:

There is no predictive loading and it drives me crazy -- especially when using the caravan to travel from city to city.

The caravan goes outside the city. I took the caravan to a city because I wanted to go inside the city.

Also it's not that hard to write a background-thread object pooling cache. You can even fall back on loading scenes if it's empty!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I mean I'm the kind of crazy person who puts on some podcasts and just grinds the snake in Savalon for three hours straight to max out jobs, so that's the only time I really bothered with JP Up.

That is the wrong kind of crazy.

Instead you need to make sure that all characters have JP Up and JP Up and Up at all times and never stay in a class once they've maxed it that way sometimes boss fights are brutal because you have a party of 4 Gamblers instead of anything cohesive. But then when you get to the end of the game you won't have any grinding to do and also you'll probably beat it before that point, thus never using any of the cool character combinations.

This game's riding on the coattails of the brianworms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Natural 20 posted:

Normal, turn up the difficulty on bosses. All hard mode does is throttle your experience gain and increase enemy atb gain.

Huh. Does it throttle JP gain too?

I don't care too much about character level, but I do want me them jobs.

Assuming I haven't already passed the point of burnout. Haven't touched it in a number of days and the last time I did it was only for long enough to accidentally backtrack in a vague, featureless dungeon.