Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I worry it'll get super grindy, but I'm sure there'll be a way to turn off the mobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

precision posted:

Bravely Second was better in every way imo

I loved BD but fizzled out real quick on bravely second

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jesus christ the beginning of this demo's difficulty is rough, also seems like you level up jobs really fast in this demo, getting to level 7 (in BD it was ten) takes normally a lot longer.

So far here are my complaints with the demo (haven't finished it):

• Enemies are too aggressive. I guess the game is set to Hard from the get-go, but it's not exactly the high damage that bothers me, it's how far away they see you and how fast they run and how long they chase you for.
  • rotating the camera is nigh useless because it doesn't rotate much if there is stuff in the way, and there's a lot of verticality in the maps, which means you're going to get ambushed by enemies, a lot.
  • Where the gently caress am I on the overworld? I can see the minimap, but I have no idea where I am because I can't find a large map anywhere.
  • Pressing L should default like in the 3DS game, because pressing R to brave is the same.....but as far as I can tell L/ZL aren't used for anything in combat.
  • There is a turn order....with no turn order forecast? This seems curiously omitted since pretty much all RPGs with a turn order have a turn order forecast.
  • It gets easier once you get better equipment, of course, but man that start is rough, especially with the stuff already mentioned
  • Can't skip past non-voiced text by NPCs on the map, and of course by default it's slow as sin. Even on fast it's still a little too slow, I can read it faster than I can dismiss the bubble.
  • transition between outside of a building and going into the doors is a little too fast? It's slightly disorienting.
  • Having to hold + to show what each skill does is real stinking annoying
  • No way to tell more info about what a skill does while already in combat. You learned a new skill that isn't Cure->Cura->Curaga! Lets just check my men- oh I got ambushed, again. WELP
  • OK, so this game gave me a helpful tip, I remember something about it, let me just refer to the glossary that holds the player tips...oh wait, there isn't one.
  • Cutting grass seems interesting, you cut some grass down and sometimes there is a hidden item in it. Except cutting grass is the most unfun thing on the planet in this game. If it was more like cutting grass in Zelda games, I'd be on board, but what grass it cuts seems clunky and it doesn't also cut the tile you're on, just the tile in front of you, so if you run into a big patch of grass, have fun spending five minutes clearing it hoping you'll get something. Also you can cut down big bushes, but not trees so it's further unclear as to what counts as cutable.
  • Night day cycle moves too fast

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Terper posted:

Pressing L after you have Braves ready will cancel them without you having to go back into the main combat menu and pressing B.
And pressing Y in combat will tell you what a skill does.

Thank you! That wasn't obvious to me.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I can't even submit full feedback because the survey text boxes are extremely character limited.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

New Survey is up, check your emails. Same questions before but without the text limit so I just dumped my laundry list of problems into it so I suggest you do the same.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://youtu.be/fO50YB_cjXU

They listened to our feedback, here’s the result.

Some of my UI feedback comments made it into the video :eyepop:

Then again, I did send them like a thousand words lol

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It means they are going to attack soon, they did that in lieu of an actually telling you the turn order.

I don't understand why we can't get turn order in a game in 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you watch the video about the feedback they got from the first demo, they thought it would make the game too easy.

I saw that, but this is an RPG in 2020, all of them are too easy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wasn't this the one where they wanted to let the "haven't played an RPG in 30 years" folk have a go? Or was that the first one?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just want Bravely Default 1 but in 1080p, but the demo kind of soured me on it.

One reviewer:

quote:

[Dungeons] With monsters packed in just a few paces apart, you might exit one battle only to swiftly trigger another, and by the time that’s done you’ve lost your bearings. Yes, there are ways of avoiding confrontations, but you can’t afford to do that often if you want to raise your skill levels sufficiently.

This reminds me of Xenosaga, no random battles, but there are monsters in a corridor and they move twice as fast as you, so you wouldn't be able to skip them even if you wanted to.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 25, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The answer is "if you can see them it looks less bullshitty when you get a random battle to pop up", but then the developers do bullshitty things like not giving you an option to escape them, or making it sufficiently difficult like

If someone is complaining that the game is too hard and when probed the group finds out he's been skipping battles, the group he's sharing this information is going to dunk on him and tell him he's "an idiot and no wonder you're having a hard time". It only serves to handhold people that shouldn't be hand held, and if they're just gonna write a review bitching about it, I feel like they should be able to retort with "actually, the player collected stats say you skipped all the mobs, so that's on you"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

Let's play a game! It's called how many sidequests are in this area:

Not sure? Let's take a closer look!

Okay once more, a little closer!

If you answered 2, you're wrong!

If you anwered "gently caress this game and it's stupid sidequest design," you're a winner!

Why is there so many really dumb choices that only serve to annoy the user? I'd tolerate it out of FF1, but there have been 34 years of upgrades since then.

I want to get the game but then crap like this turns me away.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Taear posted:

I'm 10 hours in, I know how it works. I just don't like it, my mind doesn't work like that and I really can't plan ahead. Especially since it doesn't tell me who is going next!
If I can't play entirely in the moment I can't play - which is why normally I just play these games on easy but "easy" here isn't actually easy.

I genuinely don't want to spend time learning how to beat a boss, I just wanna move on.

TBH, I did a similar? thing with the superbosses in Bravely Default, I just read a guide on ninja/dragoon spam, put it on autobattle after entering the commands and did something else for half an hour.

with how many games I have, just gimme the story and the experience and onto the next game

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, FF5 has a horrible plot even by the thin standards of Final Fantasy. It's poorly translated, the plot beats read like they were written by a 6 year old (....and then, the evil tree god goes to space, and then everyone's dead dad is there for some reason, and then....), and it's incredibly short The battle mechanics are solid though. Had it not been for Four Job Fiesta I probably wouldn't of ever beaten it

IDK what crack you're smoking but short rpg in a day and age where every rpg is a massive "crack open a tome, you're now doing homework assignments" a short fun campy rpg would be neat

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Any benefit of having Nintendo Online for this?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Who are you people who speedrun rpgs lol

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

OK, two hours in impressions:

1. they didn't fix the sword/grass cutting mechanic. It's nice to find random items, it still is too tedious to actually cut grass because it doesn't hit enough area at once. I know the 2nd demo claims to have fixed that, but I can't see a significant enough difference between demo 1 and the release of the game. IDC about hitting mobs early but I think either they should have taken it out, or increased the range by double what it's at now.
2. even on casual it's kind of a lot harder than I expected
3. gently caress wolves gently caress off, stop bumrushing me, I'm trying to do poo poo
4. oh that undulating tree mass is just a bunch of very strong random enemies that is even stronger than me after two hours of grinding? ok.
5. oh rare mob, it's harder? ok yeah I saved my game, wtf it one shot Adelle? I guess it didn't like me singing "Hello". OK run away I guess
6. what the poo poo is this tooltip thing that is overlaying other menu items instead of it not overlaying other menu items to show a description, this is failing UX Design 101, what the gently caress. Oh, click LMB, come on.
7. weight is stupid and whoever thought it was okay should be flogged with a wet noodle, especially since it doesn't SEEM? to go up with level up, or if it does, not fast enough, or equipment is generally too heavy
8. I think this kind of art style was more impressive and impactful when it was on the 3DS with the 3D effect, as a means of showing off the weak hardware of the 3DS in a cool way. Here, on the switch on a 4k screen, it just looks like them trying to summon nostalgia except it doesn't really look that improved from way back when. The character GFX is better than demo 1, but eh
9. no turn counter and a whole lot of "well this is a general showing of who could be next but you NEVER KNOW :imunfunny: " is a whole lot of go gently caress yourself. Put a turn counter on in a turn based game or loving stop making your game. I hate this not being there so much.
10. But Thou Must Deal With It, Verily! Forsooth, this style of talking is literally the TAINT. UGHHHH
11. no auto battle button, but there is Press Y, do you want to re-enter the info from this character's last actions? y/n? additional set of button prompts that I can tell are gonna get on my nerves, and if anything probably is to dissuade you from doing cool manuvers like in BD1 where you could do a ninja/dragoon setup and just afk the superbosses. Yeah, cheese isn't "balanced" but it's a single player game, who cares, let me break the game over my knee, you aren't my mother.
12. graphics look better, lantern dynamic lighting causing shadows through trees is neato, though that's just probably some basic engine capabilities since it's running on Unreal Engine 4.
13. Night lasts only about maybe a minute tops, so it's a bit jarring for it to keep going between night and day so quickly. Wish it either didn't have a day/night, or it happened slower.
14. graphics are better but I might be expecting too much to ask for even 2x aliasing from the switch in docked mode.
15. going back to point 1 I could probably be less grumpy about it if the MC didn't turn around like he's got one leg buried underground and spun around faster, especially to turn around and face the wolves that just zoomed at you from off screen so fast that it's too late to properly react to it having happened.

So far I'm kind of disappointed but, also I like leveling up and equipping the job classes and the grind so far isn't horrible, I don't think I'm going to cut any more grass in the game ever.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

raditts posted:

Kinda feels like you spent more time writing this list than playing the game, maybe you should just play the game more.

If it helps, cutting grass is completely unnecessary beyond the first area, and really is only useful there because you might find more money in the grass than you would doing a few fights, and you might find an odd item that is expensive / isn't in the shops yet. Once you progress past the first area and can actually afford tents / inns after one or two battles, there's literally no reason to cut grass except if it's slowing you down to walk through it.

Nah it only took me 15 minutes

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can't believe anyone actually kept up with cutting grass beyond the first time you get like a 60g drop and realise it's not worth it.

A few times I got several hundred gold, like maybe ten % of the time. I had about 6k gold but I spent most of it buying equipment, which I didn't end up needing much because I got it from the grass

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

To me grinding ruins JRPGs completely. What's the point in playing if I'm a living god when I fight every boss? Also it's boring as sin.

Mainly the onus shouldn't be on a player who is playing the game as predictably as possible to grind outside dungeons to make the actual dungeons tolerable.

It's much easier for developers to throw a lot of trash mobs at you than it is to curate each interaction

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I probably shouldn't be level 8 before fighting the first bosses, but oh well, i like to curb stomp

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do you tell what quests you have completed?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks, I hate it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wish the travelogue had some sort of frame of reference before clicking on it because it takes several seconds to load and more to back out of it

Which one is first? which is last? did I miss one? who knows!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I sent him off on the boat and he was doing things while I was out exploring. Uh I guess so??

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've been reading a bunch of guides, what level should I be for the first zone's rare enemies?

I'm almost level 20 MC and I just got to the desert town

Almost have freelancer maxed out with everyone for that sweet JP-UP bonuses, thanks Boat.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

For rare enemies, it's less about level and more about abilities. The fae critter up top is the easiest to kill, the tree has a ton of health but is vulnerable to poison, and the lizard is immune to a lot of early game things but folds quickly once you can get past that. Realistically, you can steal some pretty neat stuff from each of them, and for all but a few rare critters, what you can steal is the same as what they drop. The more of the rare equipment you get, the higher your power spikes, and the more of the rare monsters you can kill more easily. Of course, you need the weight allowance to use said equipment, and that's really where your level constraint is going to come from.

I only just got to the desert town, so there's no thief skill yet

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Fair enough. You might be able to take the fae critter up top, but I'd leave the other two alone until later. Rare critters aren't endgame challenges, but they do vary wildly in strength. It's always worth fighting them and taking notes on what they do and are weak to so that you can come back later when you have the tools you need.

Yeah, I beat one with MC being a level 5 BM, but holy gently caress charm that took half an hour

now I learn that body slam does like 800 per to her, and welp :negative:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wow that (prologue) death was expected but I am not sure what exactly happened there. He blew up? the bad guy blew him up? idgi

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do I tell how many enemies I captured for the beastmaster job, and how do I tell what their moves are? and for seriously, each monster is a 1 time use?? I don't get to LEARN white wind? the gently caress is this poo poo

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Them and any bee enemy just lets you you bully bosses to death. So manny bosses just paralocked from 100% to death.

But also of course BST's releases are one use stuff, that's what the class has always been. BST and BLU were always separate design spaces.

Blue is arguably better, because it's forever learned rather than having to go farm some mobs, but having to learn it by being hit with it is pretty irritating in a different way.

Anyways, only able to check a general info about what monsters you've captured while you're in a battle is loving stupid

Having to check a spreadsheet that tells you what the move does is stupider
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tg8OT4-OSF19wUKB-fR6QOmIBSJ1TAE_4Ye9YFDFd80/edit#gid=0

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 22, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I like this more than either DQ11 or Persona 5

then again, SQEX re-released those games I own with no discount to upgrade to the new version, so those games can go gently caress themselves and square enix too.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Per usual, I hate JRPG minigames

BnD is frustrating. Old lady was easy. Boy is considerably harder.

I watched this but I don't understand, at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpz1JVQvRgA

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 25, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

5:9 vs the young man is crushing

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've never played othello, but I basically just brute forced it.

I'm not liking these B rank fights where you can potentially lose a card if you lose, especially since you can just save scum to avoid losing the card in the first place.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Water Crystal: "There's only one way you're getting the water crystal, and that's from prising it from my cold, dead, hands!"

(just conveniently their "character ready" voice clip plays)
Adelle: "All right then!"

:laffo:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Excuse me, I can't pick up an item from a chest if I have 99 of that item? gently caress off with this antique gameplay poo poo

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

On the one hand, arbitrary limitations for the sake of perpetuating old video game poo poo is annoying. On the other, when are you ever going to need more than 99 of any item?

I would like them to make the rewards for chests unique, and reusable.

Congrats, you found the Phoenix Feather, you can just res whenever you want (no changes other than it's re-usable, so it doesn't replace other, better, abilities)

Or maybe with a cooldown timer? (I don't like cooldown timers that much)

Hell, make an rpg with job systems but the only money you spend is on buying new absurd outfits and you build a house in the countryside you can decorate and plant things and undergo Rocky style training montages and maybe once, as part of the story, you have to defend your house from the Big Bad who wanted to ruin your house, but you defend it and everyone kind of leaves you alone to save the world after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

aight, looks like I need half the thief tree equipped to make stealing bearable. Gonna save stealing until later I think.

does the chapter 1 boss drop good items, or skip them and I can buy them later?