Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Am I remembering right that the combat system is different this time around? I remember putting in orders for my whole team at once in Bravely Default/Second, but this time you put in orders as each character's turn comes up. Is that right?

Also I am loving the new job costumes. The White and Black Mage ones are fantastic and I love Gloria's fuzzy White Mage hat :3: Can't wait to see the look they give Red Mage this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Octopath had two demos. It had a fairly limited one that let you play Primrose and Olberic's origins and was the "we want to gather feedback" demo, then another one that let you play a big chunk of the beginning of the game and carry over your save that came out shortly before release. If I had to guess, this is the equivalent of that first demo, where the goal is to show off and gather feedback, and there'll be another demo closer to release. I wouldn't bet on the game being released before fall.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The twist of the game is going to be Parallel Dimensions hate to break it to you folks.

The game isn't called bravely default 2, it's Bravely Default | |

At one point in the game you're going to have to go to the different dimension and your cast will invade the title screen and hop from one | to the other | you heard it here first.

:hmmyes:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

eonwe posted:

I've never played the first Bravely Default, I guess it was on 3DS?

Am I missing much, or is this FF style where ever game is sorta self contained? Also...is this just made by FF people?

Bravely Second was a direct sequel to Bravely Default (sort of like in a -2 Final Fantasy game, like FFX-2, way).

Bravely Default II appears to be a totally new world with a new cast, like a separate Final Fantasy games. This series so far has a way of getting kinda meta and doing dimension-hopping stuff so I wouldn't be surprised to see something return from Bravely Default/Second, but so far it looks like you could jump into this without missing anything since it's a whole new story.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Loving the demo so far, except for one thing:

The environments are gorgeous, but right now the focus/depth blur effect is causing me a bunch of eye strain, at least when I play on my TV. I haven't tried handheld mode yet. And the motion blur when sprinting makes it hard to see enemies and details in the ruins dungeon, too.

Otherwise I'm extremely looking forward to this. Oh, and the new job costumes are good as hell. I love the fuzzy White Mage hats, the beautiful Monk garb, the really over-the-top pimped-out Thief outfits, it's all so good.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I loved BD but fizzled out real quick on bravely second

Same for me. One of the big issues I had is I felt like Bravely Second just wasn't balanced as well as Bravely Default. In BD1, I set the difficulty to Hard at the start and never felt the urge to change it--just rolled right along and had a great time. In Second, it felt like random battles were way too much of a slog on Hard, but bosses were a pushover on Normal, so I ended up constantly riding the difficulty slider. And while I appreciated that option, it just kinda took some of the fun out of it to have to micromanage that aspect of the game.

The non-Revo music didn't help, either.

It's kind of a shame because I thought a lot of the new jobs in Second seemed rad as hell and I wanted to play with them, but I just couldn't stick it out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That sandworm owned the hell out of me. I thought I'd prepared so well and I couldn't even get it to half HP :negative:

Gonna have to rethink some builds, maybe give everyone Revenge or some poo poo so I have a chance of being less BP-starved.

RunawayPantleg posted:

No enemy slider combined with inability to do a pre-loaded attack rotation and on field enemies is going to make dungeon crawling a slog. Hoping this is still an early representation of the game

I'm definitely hoping the enemy slider shows up in the final version. Maybe it could be an "enemy density" or "enemy respawn frequency" slider since the encounters aren't random anymore, obviously with the option to turn them off entirely.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hope there's a way to control how many enemies are around and/or how quickly they respawn in the full game. Not having any way to control the encounter rate--even if it isn't truly random anymore--would be a big step back.

They also really need to standardize what buttons do in the UI. There shouldn't be different buttons for "show me more details about this thing" depending on what menu you're in, for example.

I'd love a turn order forecast but there are also plenty of games with turn order that don't include a forecast, so it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't one in the full game. I hope there is, though.

Really my biggest thing is that I really hope they tone down the motion blur and probably also the depth of field blurring in the towns. I was getting some pretty bad eye strain playing the demo and that usually isn't a problem for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

I struggle to understand the mindset behind that and why it's so common.

You know the player is going to take an action literally thousands of times over the course of a game. Either make the sound effect completely unobtrusive (jumping in a platformer), or only have it trigger a small percentage of the time.

They'll still hear it plenty but it'll be a treat and a surprise versus something one has to actively try to tune out.

See also: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I wanted some voices in battle but holy poo poo they just never shut up and the only other option is to turn battle voices off completely. Here's hoping BD2 just tones it down some.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Countblanc posted:

i haven't finished it yet, but after about an hour that was a thoroughly unpleasant demo. it's really hard to enjoy combat when it's just a cacophony of layered voice clips, and struggling with the interface meant i never wanted to open a menu. really hoping that they take the feedback to heart. i can tell there's something great in there but i really felt like i was struggling to find the fun.

also i like overworld encounters but it feels meaningless when you can't really interact with that mechanic at all. dodging some enemies may actually be impossible, and the sword swing doesn't give the good lizardbrain feels that those sorts of mechanics are supposed to give since most of the time you're only using it to negate a charging enemy's own advantage rather than getting one for yourself.

I think I had more fun with it than you did but I agree with all your complaints.

I'm hoping that the interface goes through a lot of changes, especially. There are just some baffling UX decisions going on there, like having different buttons for "show me more details" in different menus. And the one when you're looking at job abilities is the plus button, and they make you hold it down? What?

I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough about game development to know just how much of a "rough draft" I should expect this to be, especially when the release date is still just "some time in 2020," but I definitely hope there are a lot of UI changes that come between now and release, not to mention things like enemy encounter rate adjustments and stuff like that.

I also really hope some of the later jobs take some weirder spins. One of the things I liked about Bravely Second is that the earliest jobs they give you are some of the new and exciting ones like Wizard and Astrologian, and that game has some really rad and wild jobs. This standard Final Fantasy jobs were still there but they made sure to emphasize the new ones earlier on. I'm hoping we see some more unique jobs as the game opens up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Is this the general opinion? I'll hold judgment then! I really want to like this game, but I feel like its me that is the problem, not the game.

Yeah it isn't a very good demo. It might not be that you don't like this style of JRPG anymore--it might just be that you don't like this particular game, which seems to be a rational reaction to the demo.

I bounced off Bravely Second pretty quickly when I first tried it years ago but maybe I should give it another go instead.

Golden Goat posted:

I think my issue with the UI stuff feeling clunky isn't what's giving me a bad impression it's that the dungeon design is still really dull and coupled with no way to turn off encounters and having them set to hard make a it a slog to play.

This is another of my disappointments but to be fair I should've expected it. Bravely Default had really boring dungeons, and what I played of Octopath showed those dungeons weren't great, either. It's clearly just not something this team is good at and/or not something they're interested in putting a lot of resources into.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I dunno I just want some more going on with dungeons then it just being a pretty straight run to the boss in a really dull background (The ruins in the demo did not look great).

Yeah, that's where I am. I love JRPG dungeons, but I need a good dungeon to be interesting to explore. So far nothing I've seen from the Bravely/Octopath team really meets that criterion besides maybe the final dungeon in Bravely Default, which only liked because it had a really cool backdrop.

IMO if the best thing about a dungeon is that it doesn't get in the way then I'm not sure why there's a dungeon at all.

To be clear I loving loved Bravely Default, even the second half, but the dungeons still just felt like boring time-wasting hallways.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 31, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The previous Bravely games gave the player a lot of control over battles--the difficulty, frequency, and the flow of each actual fight--and we're all about being challenging even with the player so empowered. I loved that about the original: I could use the job system to attempt to break the game in half and the game would push back just as hard in a way that felt fair and fun. That's why I hope they either add a turn forecast or go back to the "enter your commands for the team all at once" style of the previous games. The way combat flows in the demo just doesn't feel right for the kind of strategies Bravely games (including the demo) seem to want you to use.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

e: also the loss of those QOL features was probably my biggest complaint about Octopath Traveler too. It's hard to go back to a JRPG with no QOL after playing Bravely, where you could not only adjust encounter rate, you could straight up turn off encounters. Or turn them way up. Or disable exp gain. Or disable gold gain. Just, gently caress it, do whatever you want. Play however you want. It was so incredibly good.

Yeah and honestly it'd be insane to me if they released a Bravely game without those options after Bravely Default and Second had them and did so well with them. With the non-random encounters they'd probably need to have more of an "enemy density" slider than an encounter rate one but that'd still work and be a huge help.

I loved that I could crank up the encounter rate and turn off EXP gain if I ever just wanted to grind out JP, that was awesome.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The pseudo-ATB meter is a weird choice for displaying turn order in a non-ATB game when they could've just had an FFX-style turn order display, but I can sorta see what they're saying about giving the player too much knowledge about when enemy turns are coming potentially making the brave/default system too powerful.

I'm still a little confused as to why they didn't stick with the system from Bravely Default and Second, where you input all the commands for your side at once and then the whole round plays out, but :shrug: if they're gonna do it this way, then this is definitely an improvement over the demo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can sort of understand the justification for a turn order tracker making the game too easy in this case. Sure, it doesn't make other games with turn trackers too easy, but the difference with a Bravely game is that you can spend a resource to take extra actions on a character's turn. That wasn't the case in Octopath Traveler, for example, where BP are instead spent to power up the character's one action. My guess is that giving the player perfect knowledge of the upcoming turn order combined with the Brave system to make it too easy to prioritize targets and shut enemies down at exactly the right time.

Sure, most JRPGs these days are too easy, but I'd really prefer if a Bravely game wasn't. I had a blast in Bravely Default and a big part of that was because it provided enough challenge that I actually had to care about job/ability setups on a level beyond "I guess I'll just use whatever looks cool because the game is easy enough that it doesn't matter"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Gunslinger posted:

Haha wait what? I haven't had a chance to check out the demo yet. How does the game determine who goes first then? Is it stat based (speed?) or something? I will download it later but I am super curious. I can't even visualize how it works, you just pick as their order comes up and you have no idea what that is? I must be misunderstanding this.

Yeah, it's speed. I don't know what other JRPGs you're familiar with but think, like, a Persona game or Dragon Quest XI. (Incidentally, Dragon Quest made a similar switch with XI--in previous Dragon Quest games, you gave orders to your whole team at once, but in XI you do it as each character's turn comes up.)

That said, Bravely Default 2 has little meters under each of your party members' HP/MP bars that show you how close they are to their next turn, and show alert symbols over enemies if their turn will come next (before any of your characters). It looks like an ATB meter from a Final Fantasy game except the game is actually turn-based rather than filling the meter in real time.

I... don't really like it for a Bravely game, and I think it's all down to "feel" more than anything. I really liked inputting my whole team's commands at once in Bravely Default/Second and I thought it worked really well with the Brave/Default system. It made it really quick to input commands and go. Having to do it one character at a time, as their turn comes up, feels clunkier. I don't have a problem with it in other games--like I think Persona 5's combat is a lot of fun--but when combined with the Brave/Default system it feels awkward.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 17, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

yeah, it gave you complete control over the encounter rate - you could turn it down, turn it off, even turn it way up if you wanted. You also had control over exp gain, job point gain and money gain which let you grind exactly as much or as little as you wanted. It was genuinely the best implementation possible in my opinion, and then we never saw it again :rip:

Yeah, the loss of this is something I really don't get for Bravely Default 2.

I can see how an encounter rate slider wouldn't really work because they aren't truly random encounters anymore, but an "enemy frequency" or "enemy density" setting could exist. And control over EXP and JP gain, if nothing else, would be really nice. One thing I liked in Bravely Second was the ability to turn off EXP gain while I was grinding JP so I could learn new job abilities without severely overleveling for where I was in the story.

And turning the encounter rate way up was useful, too. The couple times I really wanted to grind out JP in Bravely Default, I just cranked the encounter rate and battle speed to max and went nuts. It was awesome.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dragon Quest XI has an interesting implementation of battles being on the map in that they're actually really easy to avoid most of the time, even in dungeons. You move faster than most map enemies so you can get away from them without too much issue. It's pretty chill.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BexGu posted:

Was it Second Layer that had the system that if you one shot a encounter you had the option to continue with another one immediately with increased rewards/exp/etc? I loved that feature since it made farming in slightly lower areas a fun self imposed challenge.

I think so, yeah. You could chain battles together for increased rewards, though I don't remember exactly how it worked.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm definitely still looking forward to this. Probably won't buy it right on launch if only because I'm already juggling too many other games, but I'll get it soon.

Also really curious to see the full list of jobs and if there are any particularly interesting ones in there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There do appear to be some new jobs that look kind of interesting, like Pictomancer and Hellblade, though I can't find any details on what they do beyond their names and looks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The thing I'm really itching for is to see what all the jobs can do and what their outfits look like. I'm sort of expecting a range of jobs closer to Bravely Default than Second just from what we've seen so far. That's kind of a shame because the wilder jobs from Second were pretty fun, but I had plenty of fun with Default's jobs, too, so I'm still looking forward to it.

Of the demo jobs, Black Mage's outfit is a big downgrade from class Black Mages, but Monk has just an insanely good outfit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thing about Octopath is that all it really would've taken for me was to have characters sometimes appear and comment in other characters' stories, and not just in the pub chat skits. Having characters just chime in with a line or two during other characters' scenes so that it's clear that they're all there going through stuff together would've made a huge difference.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That’s exactly what it is, yeah. I think the new jobs and shake ups of existing jobs are cool (Red Mage has its own set of spells instead of just using low-level black & white ones) so hopefully that will keep my attention long enough to get through the game, if it is a slog.

Oh huh, Red Mage having its own set of spells is a good touch. That's something the FFXII Zodiac versions did as well.

Though I noticed that the FFXII Red Mage spells seem to be on the Arcanist job in BD2, including Ardor.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

At this point I'm sort of waiting to see videos/impressions of later-game gameplay. I want to know if the jobs, character/team building, and battle system stay interesting throughout the game. That's probably going to be the main deciding factor on whether I get it. Is there a meaningful difference between spellcaster jobs other than what damage types they have access to, for example? Are there jobs that have unique mechanics and skills that really mess with things?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gave in and bought this because I'm pretty sure having a nice RPG to chill with in handheld mode on the Switch will be nice, even if I'm already juggling too many other games. I am a sucker for nostalgic RPGs I guess.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the new job outfits.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, it stays during difficulty selection at the start that you can change any time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm so glad Revo is back. Music is great so far. The "main" asterisk boss theme is an absolute banger

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Terper posted:

When I got to the first Asterisk and was expecting the same theme as from the first demo and it was something different instead, I got such extreme whiplash I thought my neck would crack :v: It was a fine theme I was just so completely unprepared

I was surprised that there are two asterisk themes this time around. They're both good but the one from the original demo is my favorite of the two. Extremely good "get pumped up to kick rear end" music.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Just got this game, I loving loved BD1 and thought BS was good but a bit less inspired. Haven’t loaded it up yet, but from what I hear the battle system is still good and the art style is identical. Question is, how’s the plot and party banter? Is it on the level of BD1 or BS?

Anything I should be worried about going in, e.g. places where it’s worse than previous games?

I'm still pretty early on so the plot's still pretty basic (gotta get the four crystals before the bad guys do!), but so far the party banter has been great. Plenty of little "party talk" skits you unlock along the way as well.

One of the big changes/downgrades from the previous games is that you can no longer adjust the encounter rate or independently adjust the EXP/JP/money drop rate. Encounters are now visible on the field so you can avoid them that way, and how much EXP/JP you get from battle is tied to your difficulty level (though you can still change that any time).

The combat system also handles turn order differently. In Bravely Default/Second, you enter commands for your whole party at once, then the round plays out. In Bravely Default 2, you enter commands for a party member when their turn comes up, and there are only vague indicators of whose turn will come up when. It creates a different pace/feeling for the battles that can take a little getting used to compared to Default/Second. It's something plenty of other JRPGs do of course (maybe even most?) but still, a change from the previous games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When it comes to JP grinding, assuming I didn't get JP Up/Up and Up in the prologue, when's another good opportunity to grind out those Freelancer levels on everyone? I assume I'm going to want those abilities sooner than later.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PageMaster posted:

It really doesn't have to be in the prologue and you can do it anytime after; I did it immediately after getting to the city in chapter 1. You do need to do forage farming, which is actually quicker after you lose the support character in the prologue since they can end battles early by attacking.

1) battle low level enemy like a goblin in the first area. Leave one goblin alive, have all characters forage, and tape down your A button (have cursor set to memory) and watch tv for a bit. What you're looking for is a stockpile of throwing items (stones, throwing knives, throwing axes, etc).

2) hornets in the first map drop insect nectar which increase consecutive battles with them. Use that and get into battle with the hornet, Brave then use two throwing items to kill all enemies each wave. This gets you between 100 to 300 jp and more insect nectar.

3) repeat until mastered freelancer.

Guess I know what I'm gonna do during my work meetings tomorrow :v: No downside to just passively gaining +70% JP on everyone for as long as I can spare the ability slots.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really enjoy how, because you don't kill Asterisk holders after their fights, you get to see them reduced to whatever their Freelancer outfit would be after you steal their Asterisk. It's like stealing an enemy's clothes with Locke in FF6 :allears:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's the best use for Bard? It seems like a really good subjob since it doesn't seem to rely on stats at all, is that accurate?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why won't a single Insect Nectar drop for me :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Should I be selling things like Bug Wings, Dwarf Teeth, etc. or is there something to save them for?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ojetor posted:

Monk was definitely my highest damage character for the early game. Make sure you're using double attack boosting accessories, those also get the +80% bonus from the barehanded passive.

Holy poo poo I didn't know this :eyepop:

I'm still early on in chapter 1 so I put two Flame Talismans on my Monk Adelle and now she's got like 40 more physical attack than anyone else

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like a good middle-ground would be a short button hold for Defaulting with the L button.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, most accessories have multiple effects and various stat boosts so there are multiple reasons to equip them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Buffs from Special moves last as long as the character's theme tune is playing, so it's based on real time.