Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Farg posted:

i dunno if i'm a fan of the turn order thing but everything else just seems like bravely default as it always was? i'm early on but i'm not seeing any red flags, its fun. also its like a brief intro cutscene and some dialog before you can dig through your settings, it isn't remarkable in that sense at all

I get the impression a lot of people really hate the game's aesthetic and that that this is coloring perception of the game in general.

I actually like the aesthetic for whatever reason, but it's apparently making some people completely incapable of enjoying anything connected to characters/plot.

edit: I like the option to increase battle speed. Grinding isn't so bad when the battles happen so fast, and I haven't tried these lure items that supposedly make things easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there a way to get more specific info on some of these skills? Like the Monk's thing that does higher damage in exchange for lower hit rate; it would be good to know exactly how much more damage and exactly how much less hit rate.

Caidin posted:

I have a poor eye for art all told but it looks like Bravely Default's usual style but shinier to me.

Some people (most reviewers from what I've seen) think the style looks very bad in higher resolution and that the characters look "dead-eyed."

I don't really get it, but it's apparently at least a somewhat common reaction.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 27, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

They look fine on my TV so far. I prefer it over characters like Rex and Pyra. :shrug:

Yeah, I have an easy time sort of viewing the character models as abstractions of a sort.

I'm also wondering if using English VA might be contributing to perceptions of the party, since they seem just as likable as the BD1 cast so far (with the JP voices, at least - I used the English VAs with BD1 but prefer the JP in this). Elvis/Adelle are cool and the protagonist/Gloria are at least distinct from Tiz/Agnes.

PageMaster posted:

What's a wiki-wiki and should I bother trying to kill them when they pop up in battle or are they like a metal slime and I can't do anything until later in the game?

The only time I've killed a Wiki-Wiki is by spamming fully braved Firaga-Firaga-Firaga-Firaga followed by Beastmaster special (latter probably isn't necessary, but the Wiki-Wiki had only ~15 HP after the nuking and I wanted to make sure I finished it off).

I don't think using non-magic attacks can practically kill them early on since they dodge everything. For a while I tried to exploit the Earth weakness using Vanguard, but that never worked.

I was underwhelmed at the rewards from it and probably wouldn't bother if I was close to a boss and didn't want to rebuild up a special attack.

Ornamented Death posted:

Am I just missing something the "will the enemy attack you?" stat? I have Seth as a white mage with white mage appropriate gear and Gloria as a vanguard with vanguard appropriate gear and Seth gets attacked three or four times as often as Gloria. Even when I use abilities that are supposed to make enemies attack Gloria more often, Seth is still my unwilling tank. Elvis as a black mage is also getting attacked more often than Gloria in this scenario, just not at quite the same extreme as Seth.

I'm a little confused about this as well. I have like 70 more "chance to be attacked" stat on Seth compared with everyone else, but he doesn't seem to be attacked more than anyone else. It actually seems like my Freelancer Elvis is attacked the most.

PageMaster posted:

What are your early game damage dealers? For bosses it basically comes down to apply poison and survive with me, but after a certain point they can't kill me but I'm hammering out fractions of the poison damage with my other classes. Vanguard does ok thanks to a strong weapon drop, but my monk feels feels incredibly weak, even with the unarmed perks, and my mage/bard is stuck on defense buffs and I feel a little unequipped with no way to buff damage or debuff enemy defense.

Something strange is going on if your Monk feels weak; Monk does dramatically higher damage than everything else in my party currently. It's the only thing I have that hits for over 1000 regularly.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Black Mage has been mediocre for me as I near the end of Chapter 1 but Monk's abilities do great damage if you level it up. Firebird, Qipong Wave, and the heeldrop move all do great damage in exchange for health

This is my experience as well. BLM does kind of disappointing damage unless I'm hitting a weakness with an -aga spell.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 1, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just did the Berserker fight and yeesh. I won first try, but just barely and only because I had unlocked Arise on WHM already; otherwise I wouldn't have been able to keep up with the damage he was dishing out. It was actually not a battle of attrition, since the sheer damage he dealt out pressured me to try and kill him sooner rather than later (since the wrong combination/timing of his attacks could have wiped me out easily). I think I would have had an easier time if I had leveled up Bard (which I'm going to do as soon as Elvis maxes Black Mage, since he's really close now). On the upside, it probably says something good about the boss fights that nearly every single one involves me barely winning. Feels like you have to put more thoughts into things and that I would have lost if I had made worse decisions.

Others have mentioned this, but don't sleep on Poison. It seemingly lasts forever against bosses once applied. I was also able to Confuse the aforementioned boss, though it didn't do much good since his allies were already dead.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Same. I can burn 60+mp for a 3-400damage -aga spell or 99mp for a 1500 damage monk skill, or 1bp for 1k or so damage and just have someone do that 2x for their first action in random battles to blow through trash at breakneck speed.

In the boss fight mentioned above, hitting his weakness with Firaga did ~700 damage, but he countered fire damage and the damage was still dramatically inferior to both Monk and Beastmaster releasing a Minotaur. Speaking of the latter, I wish there was some way to get a description of Beastmaster abilities - it only says if they have an elemental alignment but some obviously aren't even attacks - there's one monster's ability was called Advance and targeted a party member, but I had no idea what it would do (ended up not using it since I was in the middle of a boss fight). I'll probably look them up online, but that information would ideally be in the game somewhere.

I get the impression that BLM might be the sort of job that is better as a subjob for a job that can do better magic damage. I could also see something like Aspir Attack being good on other jobs, since many melee jobs use MP for attacks.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 3, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Andrast posted:

The steal rates in this game are abysmal so I wouldn't do it even if there was stuff to steal

It's kind of goofy given the existence of Forage, which is a 100% chance to get stuff like ethers, hi-potions, and attack items as many times as you want. Since equipping someone with Thief I've attempted to steal like 20 times against random normal mobs without success.

Natural 20 posted:

Spoiler for the CH2 boss mentioned.

Freelancers can dispel his berserk which trivialises everything

:monocle:

Somehow it did not occur to me that he could have had the status effect.

raditts posted:

I destroyed the Thief asterisk boss by capturing a bunch of minotaurs and just Brave x4 slamming those bitches on him one after another, easy 2-3k each.

Is it just me or is Elvis kinda poo poo at everything? His black magic is weak, his physical attacks are weak, he only really seems useful in jobs that don't scale on stats.

At the very least any stat discrepancies should be easy enough to address with all the stat buffing items you get from the boat (and occasionally other gameplay).

I think BLM itself is just kind of underwhelming. Early on it's useful as your only way to do AoE attacks, but that's not an issue once you get a couple other early jobs.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 3, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

abelwingnut posted:

any more thoughts on the plot? i haven't picked this up yet, but i am intrigued. never played the other two or ff5, but i've read those plots were fantastic. but reviews here say the story is...blah.

Unless it just completely jumps the shark later I've been a little confused by the negative plot-related reviews, since so far (having finished the first "full" chapter after the prologue) it seems to basically be on par with Bravely Default 1 and is doing a fine job of holding my attention (I had a harder time caring about the plot in Octopath).

I kind of like how it's leaning into the idea of asterisks as a plot device.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

(mild end of Chapter 1 spoilers)

Btw I saw someone mention not seeing the first two Asterisk holders again, but they just showed in a side quest that appears in Savalon after finishing the main plot there.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao I just completed Beastmaster on Seth and with this "increases stats based off of number of captured monsters" ability he now has almost literally double the physical/magic attack/defense stats of everyone else in the party.

Shame that I'm going to instantly change his class for the JP. I'm debating mostly ignoring Beastmaster even though it's really strong, just because I can't stop myself from obsessing over capturing everything.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can't believe anyone actually kept up with cutting grass beyond the first time you get like a 60g drop and realise it's not worth it.

I've gotten most of my gear from cutting grass. It frequently gives top-level gear.

Evil Fluffy posted:

including time I spent capturing monsters ans testing what their beastmaster effects are (which needs to be in the bestiary or something because come on game)

Yeah this is extremely annoying and dumb. I don't want to have to waste my captured monsters just to find out what they do (and even then it'd probably be hard to remember all of them).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 7, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Godspeed Strike is some bonkers poo poo. Literally did over 6000 damage total against a boss with 17k HP.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm pretty much 100% sure now that getting enemies to low HP makes it easier to steal from them. The only time I can reliably steal with a 4-turn brave chain of Steals is when a mob is at 1 HP from one of the Beastmaster's skills.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I ended up killing one of the world rares that I was initially just going to attempt to steal something from (and then Flee). After using a couple Godspeed Strikes I realized "maybe this is actually doable" and sure enough was able to win (though I never stole the equipment it had - I only succeeded in stealing a couple collectables). I was just barely able to heal through the damage it (and the other mobs it summoned) did and used a ton of Ethers in the process.

It gave very good XP, but wasn't really worth the time (since I could have gotten more by using the same time doing "regular" grinding).

Dr_Gee posted:

So I'm seeing the similarities between Gloria and Agnes, but Gloria just seems much more... idk, assured? Still kind, bit less nice? Like, I remember Agnes being a lot more hesitant even in Bravely Second

Yeah there's a pretty big difference with the cast in general. Seth also comes off as more self-assured than Tiz. In general the cast feels older than the Bravely Default 1 cast.

Elvis and Adelle are great, with Adelle being the best party member. Her Japanese VA is great.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

At the point I'm at, I'm wondering what was up with that one reviewer who talked about not having a necessary element for a boss. I'm guessing they were talking about either Light or Dark element, but I'm pretty sure that I have full elemental coverage by means of Beastmaster and attack items.

Unrelated, but I got a "Giant JP Orb" from the boat today and it instantly took someone from rank 7 in their job to the very peak of rank 11 (like <10 JP from maxing it).

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm also wholly unimpressed by berserker. Nothing in the kit really pairs well with anything, they are slow as all get out and they have a glass jaw compared to the other dedicated melee guys. The damage doesn't even really seem all that much better than vanguard, only real difference being that zerker can attack everyone in the fight.

This is a pretty massive deal for grinding, though. Berserker's final skill also hits really hard.

I agree about Red Mage - I put 3/4 of my party on it as soon as they finished the jobs they were currently grinding. It's the sort of job that seems like it's good to have no matter what role someone has in the party. I've done the same with Beastmaster for MP Saver and that "using Brave increases the damage of attacks" skill (and I also want everyone to be able to equip the "chance to capture monsters when you kill them" skill so I can keep obsessively capturing things, though I'm not sure if it works if neither of a person's jobs are Beastmaster).

I find myself never using Vanguard; its damage is sub-par compared with alternatives and I don't feel like I really need a tank (and the difference in damage taken isn't that high to begin with). I'm wondering if there might be other jobs/skills that make stuff like its debuffs more worthwhile. It looks like I'll be unlocking some sort of heavy defense job soon since I encountered a guy who is obviously an asterisk user in chapter 2, so I'm thinking that might end up pairing well with Vanguard with the latter as a sub-job.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like this Beastmaster second specialty was not created with the assumption that people would be giving 3/4 of their party Beast Whisperer. Anyone with Beastmaster maxed is ludicrously overpowered with it (more than double as strong as any other party member who isn't a maxed Beastmaster) and I've steamrolled the last couple bosses I've encountered as a result.

In the (Chapter 2) Archer fight I also noticed that the boss's add was weak to Light, so I looked through my beast collection and found one that casts Banishra. I used Off The Chain with it and it did 8000 damage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Steal Spirit is really strong; I can completely fill up my MP by doing a single brave-chain of it against most mobs (how much you get seems to depend upon the mob, but most seem to give a lot).

It kind of makes Godspeed Strike even more ridiculous, since you can easily generate your own MP (though Ethers are also extremely cheap - I find that I have enough money to buy everything I'd ever want to).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is it just me or is Gambler kind of bad? Even the best rolls on its chance-based skills seem to just give "okay" damage.

It can apparently increase drop-rate and money, but can't you just use Thief's "Mag Pie" + Steal for the former (and the latter is kind of irrelevant since I always have way more cash than I know what to do with in this game)?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just arrived at the chapter 3 city and it seems to have the same plot as a certain segment in Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Salve-Maker boss was a stupid rear end in a top hat but I somehow managed to limp my way through. Really taking the absurdity of counters up to 11.

Does that boss’s big annoying counter attack count as physical? If so, I guess I’m gonna level up all my characters in Archer...

I got extremely lucky with that fight and finished with one character at like 300 health. This was largely because I fought him without setting my jobs appropriately, though, so I went in with a really dumb build intended for killing trash (for example Elvis having Pictomancer/Berserker, lol).

One skill that I've found is often useful is the Berserker's "ignore all status effects that cause you to lose character control" one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fancy Hat! posted:

Im just starting out Chapter 3, and I got Salvemaker. But the dungeon are really starting to give me trouble and I'm burning through Ethers with my team, and I can't seem to do more than 1/8 an enemies damage with alot of moves. Is there an optimal team I should be using? I've got my Thief/Ranger, Healer (W Mage/Bard), Damage Magic ( Black/Red Mage) and Muscle (Shieldmaster/Vanguard) and im hovering around Level 30. Should I just be braving more for these rando fights, cause I need them to stop lasting more than a couple minutes.

For some reason I'm not seeing Berserker in this list! Berserker is basically the job for killing trash mobs, at least relatively early on (I'm also in Chapter 3). Early on they have an AoE that costs BP to use, but later they get Level Slash which is a strong physical AoE.

(That being said, the flower mobs in that specific area are obnoxious and will frequently give a bunch of status effects to the character who uses a physical AoE on them)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

maybe its rose coloured glasses but i remember enjoying a bunch of persona boss fights where my squad was up and running but the bosses could still challenge me and it sorta came down to key decisions on the individual turns and i had a good amount of information to make those decisions.
i've definitely won and lost battles based on recognisable decisions in a turn in BD2 but i'm usually just super cautious cause i have no idea whats gonna happen on the enemy turn or even my turn sometimes

I think that's probably mostly rose-colored glasses, because the Persona system (at least in Persona 5) is very straight-forward as long as you just stay buffed (and keep the enemy debuffed) constantly, and I was playing on Hard. I remember being challenged for the first couple Palaces, but after that just sort of steamrolling everything (ignoring the hardest NG+ bosses). Royal is a bit worse with this since you can heavily exploit Thermopylae due to traits.

In this I have to at least put more thought into building/equipping my characters.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

Ah see I've been in a "invincible tank, healer that babies said tank, support unit who spams debuffs/buffs, UNHOLY MURDER ENGINE :black101:" configuration since I got Shieldmaster, so reflect physical damage is just a "why can't I one-round you" speedbump.

It's still an annoying loving speedbump though. :v:

I'll always try bosses the first time with whatever bizarre job configuration I've been using for leveling in a dungeon.

So I'll go into a fight with no tanks and two Pictomancers or something (and with all the JP bonuses abilities equipped), and if I lose I'll actually go through the trouble of giving my characters proper builds.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Something feels tonally strange about how loving awful the villains are in most of the earlier chapters (and maybe latter ones too, but I'm only at Chapter 4). Like the bad guys do stuff that is disturbingly brutal in a way that sort of clashes with a lot of the rest of the game's tone.

Like in chapter 3 Gladys is not even remotely a sympathetic figure; she's basically like a Sonderkommando except arguably worse.

Granted, BD1 also had some weirdness with various Asterisk bosses being awful pieces of poo poo and then suddenly being good during the loops, but I don't remember much on the level of "pile of corpses who a little girl slit the throats of to make red paint" (except for maybe the forest village stuff with the fairies).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

Make sure you do the sidequest from the shieldbearer guy in rimedahl for a coda to the gladys story, if you haven't already. I was a little surprised by how they navigated the issues with that character there. Not to say it worked per se but it was a kind of interesting attempt

That's actually part of what prompted my post. I don't think that her parents being killed is even remotely a justification for actively executing countless innocent people, many of whom literally had family members pleading for them and what have you.

Natural 20 posted:

Not really in BD1.

In BD1 you brutally murder the person that does that. (And her entire family). By the time Edea meets her dad she's basically near full breakdown over all the friends she's killed.

Speaking of this, IMO it's unacceptable for BD2 to introduce all these horrific pieces of poo poo and then repeatedly deny the player the opportunity to kill them. Castor falls off a cliff, insane Pictomancer girl dies in a cave-in (this one is the worst - literally murdered the child of the people accompanying the party), Helios dies by dragon (this one isn't as bad since the dragon has more personal claim to murdering Helios than the party), and Gladys dies by Helios.

Natural 20 posted:

Not really in BD1.

In BD1 you brutally murder the person that does that. (And her entire family). By the time Edea meets her dad she's basically near full breakdown over all the friends she's killed.

Yeah, Edea in general goes a long way towards making the BD1 plot compelling.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Talking about this stuff actually makes me want to play the original BD again. It's been a very long time since I last played it (not since very soon after its NA release), so I only remember the broad strokes of the plot. I think there's a JP voices option so it might be neat to try that out.

Dirk the Average posted:

I was really, really hoping they would play up the angle of the asterisks corrupting people and that the twist would be something along the lines of how we slowly would become the bad guys as the asterisks corrupt us and give us ever more flimsy excuses to flex our newfound power, but no, that never happens.

Oh man, now that you mention this that would have been a really cool plot-twist.

Dirk the Average posted:

I like the idea that she started down the path of redemption, but was then killed (which itself was hilarious because the party could have cured her with a snap of their fingers). It was somewhat refreshing to see that she didn't get a full redemption arc, and that the feelings of the townsfolk towards her were somewhat complicated in the end.

I'm pretty sure that things like curing spells are nearly always supposed to be viewed as some sort of abstraction where the healing is just restoring characters' energy and healing minor wounds. It's why characters are "knocked out" instead of killed.

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t think the Wystwald people were corrupted by the asterisks, they were mind controlled by the paintings they got alongside the asterisks

Yeah, this is definitely the case. The asterisks weren't the cause in that situation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like you could do some interesting things with combining Shieldmaster and either Vanguard or Swordmaster (or that other skill some job has that give a party member aggro) and using the "if enemies attack you, you drain 1BP from them with the counterattack" skill.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hammer Bro. posted:

Also the music's better.

Not to say the music here is bad (and I'm fond of how they reuse motifs), but I've listened to the Octopath music outside of the context of the game. They even have a remix album.

I'd rank BD1 music above Octopath. For all related games I'd rank them something like this: BD1 > Octopath = BD2 > Bravely Second.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been replaying BD1 and (spoilers only because I know there's at least one or two people in this thread who never played the original) I forgot how terrible the Eternian forces are. Like they show Kamiizumi being upset at Qada for the whole "torturing and murdering 100,000 with chemical warfare" thing, but the most generous possible interpretation of that guy is that he's the biggest gently caress-up ever and wasn't even willing to remove the guy responsible for the war crimes from his position. Soon after it's also revealed that the Swordbearer forces literally use sacrificial child labor in mines + use them as body shields.

Same applies for Braev Lee. Regardless of his goals, dude is basically just releasing a bunch of death squads full of sociopaths to terrorize every other major nation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some of these BD1 fights are tough (just did the Temple of Fire monster, which was really tough and would almost party wipe with its strongest attack even though I'm pretty sure I'm over-leveled and had everyone with defense buffed and defaulting), though I think I remember getting overpowered later once I unlocked a lot of key abilities.

I like how buffing/debuffing feels a lot "easier" in BD1 (particularly with Pirate); in BD2 the calculus is often harder because it's difficult to tell if the trade-off of using multiple BP to get a buff/debuff for 3-4 turns is worth it.

Doing BD1 again has sort of emphasized how "disjointed" BD2 feels. Like each individual chapter of BD2 is reasonably interesting on its own, but it doesn't really seem to tie into an overarching narrative well and it feels like you just abruptly transition from plot point to plot point.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So around Chapter 5 in BD2 I had started replaying BD1 and I'm now in Chapter 5 of BD1.

Having played both games around the same time, BD1 definitely has "something" to its narrative/characters that BD2 doesn't.

BD2 is still fun, but BD1 is much better about its characters/setting/music/etc all working together well. BD2 has a sort of "disjointed" feel to it for reasons that I can't quite put my finger on.

edit: My one gripe with BD1 is the thing I mentioned earlier where the game isn't tonally consistent about a character like Braev Lee. He has sympathetic motives, but his actual actions would see him sent to the Hague in a just world. The only Eternian forces that aren't portrayed as either blood-gargling psychopaths or "people who continue to work with and give power to blood-gargling psychopaths" are the Sky Knights (who, with the exception of the Black Mage guy, at least keep their military action limited to Agnes herself and the country's military).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 26, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Deki posted:

Managed to steal 2 insane daggers from a world boss while loving about seeing what they all had available with magpie, but they're too heavy to use, much less DW :negative:

I did this same thing; they're the first things I ever stole. I was finally able to reasonably use one by sometime during Chapter 4. Still can't easily use 2 (I think I can maybe pull it off if I use a Wind Charm or two).

raditts posted:

I just had one person my designated pokemon master, maxed out the job and set it as sub, and tried catching at least one of every enemy and tried to catch monsters in every battle from when I first got Beastmaster to sometime in Chapter 5, and by that time I probably could have walked through the rest of the game easily. And I didn't even do the ridiculous ability combinations that guarantee capture of every monster in the battle.

The route to go if you want to use a Beastmaster is to have everyone level it up enough to unlock Beast Whisperer. That way you can passively catch a bunch of things without having to directly put an effort into it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Finally finished the game. tl;dr: Just go replay Bravely Default 1 instead.

I think I may have mentioned in an earlier post how I started replaying BD1 while playing BD2 and somehow ended up becoming more immersed in the story of this game I've already played than the new one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It bugs me how lame Adam's motivation was. It is literally the same as Gaius's from FF14, except without the excuse of "because they keep letting primals be summoned" and all the explanation of why Garlemald exists and is the way it is. It's just this guy who thinks "if I take over all the other countries there will be no war :downs:."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think the general consensus is it starts really good and interesting and fun and by the end is a bit of a chore to finish

Probably not the best jrpg to buy if you have others you’re waiting on I guess but I’d give it a solid 7/10 (big FF5 fan)

The feeling I got from it is that they hosed up something with the way they wrote the overarching plot.

Like each individual chapter was fine and I was very optimistic about the game for the first couple chapters, but they didn't connect well or lead anywhere interesting.