Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Problem description: I have a 1TB platter hard drive and wanted to upgrade to SSD. I installed the new drive without issue and used Macrium Reflect free version to clone the drives. The Original C drive with 2 partitions for recovery(D) and systems(E) or something. It cloned succesfully and the new SSD is (F)(G)(H). I also made the new drive the boot drive. I would like to reformat the old drive and use it to store pictures of cats or whatever and reletter them. Anything I try is stopped because the old drive contains system folders. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attempted fixes: I tried reformatting using disk manager and also just straight up pressing delete.

Recent changes: N/A

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 10 Home

System specs: HP Pavillion 690

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, the advice is not for system drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
You're going to want to disconnect the platter drive and ensure your system still boots ok with just the SSD as a safeguard.

Once you've verified that, I'd nuke it with a linux USB key and parted.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Ah that's a good idea. I disabled the old drive in the bios from the bootable options. Does disconnecting still make sense?
What is a linux key? Can you link me what it is how to use it? I appreciate your help, I'm not super computer savvy.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I think it's a reasonable step but disabling it in the boot order likely covers the situation I was worried about, which is that c: is still involved in boot somehow.

Reading again you might try disk manager in windows first if you haven't. Right click start --> disk management and you can try to delete the partitions there.

If you can't, https://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-parted-magic-flash-drive-creation-windows/ is a decent tool -- you can create a USB key drive that you can boot off of that will include parted, which is a tool to delete partitions. Since you're booted into Linux instead of Windows it'll happily blow away the partition table. Just make sure you pick the right disk.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Ok sounds good. So if I understand correctly, I'll download the linux thing on a thumb drive, use it to boot my PC. Delete the old C,D,E, drive on the old hard drive. Boot from the new SSD and reformat the old drive. Releter the SSD into C,D,E and make old drive (F) for fat cat pics?
Just want to make sure I understand the process before I mess something up.