Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PizzaProwler posted:

Somehow referring to the partner as "boyfie" grosses me out more than the pube ring.

Without a doubt the worst part of that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Knormal posted:

Also obviously this is putting too much thought into it, but why are the ice walls all varied coastline on the inner side and completely flat on the outside?

Coriolis force.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ilmucche posted:

He's hosed though right?

Nah, he’s probably 46.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Could also be the optimism about a “turning point”.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wizzardstaff posted:

She's not wrong though.

Yeah, stopped clock.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Or wordplay for “Sasha Archangel”, apparently.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Warmachine posted:

I love how the person is posting like "WORDING MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE THINK POSITIVE" when based on those statistics leaving the patient alone gives them a better chance of survival than the so-called treatment.

Goddamn death cult.

More importantly, they reveal a really small N.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

https://twitter.com/MNFreedomFund/status/1272726417650995202

This is probably, maybe, slightly not okay. Just a feeling.

Nah, they’ll figure it out. They took down their donation page shortly after the huge influx started, so I don’t think they’re trying for Maximum Grift.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that album was truly outrageous

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A new challenger appears!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Len posted:

My coworker chimed into a conversation about gun safety with "my nephew plays with my boyfriends guns all the time but the safety is on so it's okay"

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh nooooooooo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

T-Man for IK of this thread

You know, yeah, I think that would actually be a decent move.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I believe in everyone's right to abort a fetus they carry, but especially if it was conceived with this guy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Len posted:

Like Joe Tweaker breaks in and says give me your valuables he isn't going to wait for you to go to the gun safe, you have to be ready now

That’s why you keep your valuables in the gun safe.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ambitious Spider posted:

I haven't read long halloween or Dark victory in ages, but used to think they were pretty great. what the hell happened?

snipe tax:

https://twitter.com/DanBoeckner/status/1287837993005457413?s=20

This guy (Mitchell) was a good friend of mine, but we’ve fallen out of touch over the last 5-10 years. Wouldn’t have expected him to take this angle, but not surprised he dug in once he did.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

People mostly become cops for exactly the kind of power trip and macho tribalism that’s on display here. This is like a long-form recruiting ad for their target audience.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inceltown posted:

Get something with a wire bridge you can fit around your nose so that breath escapes in another direction.

Yeah, my mask uses thick floral wire and it’s great for that. I miss it when it’s drying from being washed and I have to use my backup with some flimsy poo poo in it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I saw that comic I legit did not know which of the portrayed characters it was meant to be supporting. (I’ve never seen that comic strip before.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fister Roboto posted:

Really? I thought it was incredibly obvious. If they had intended the white woman to be the good guy here, they would have drawn the black woman with at least five different racist tropes. Is this a side effect of goon face blindness?

I didn’t know anything about the comic or author’s style, and I have been Poed too many times to trust my ability to analyze American political commentary on the first pass. Possibly some cognitive defect, sure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arivia posted:

Do you not know who Joyce Carol Oates is?

This is a common thread in discussion of that tweet, I believe.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Len posted:

My coworker has a story about how someone her husband works with is in the hospital with an infection in her lungs caused by wearing a mask.

Lancet would be pretty interested in that, I suspect.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HiroProtagonist posted:

cis is literally a chemistry term, also. it just means one side of an isomeric molecule. hence, "beat him with a chemistry textbook" because cisgender came from the organic chemistry context as far as the prefix is concerned.

I thought chemistry and gender uses both just came from the Latin “cis-“ prefix meaning “on same side” with an opposite of “trans-“ meaning on other side, like “cisalpine” did as well. I hadn’t heard that the gender usage had been informed by chemistry terminology at all. Where did you encounter that?

E: oh, there were more posts transpagebreak

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ultrafilter posted:

The prefix "trans" shows up all over the place, but I can't recall seeing "cis" outside of chemical names.

“cislunar” and “cisalpine” were already cited in this thread, as two examples.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Godwin’s law just predicts that someone will mention Nazis. It doesn’t prescribe any consequences for doing so.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheMostFrench posted:

My understanding in dealing with people who have high income is that donations are one method to ensure you stay below certain tax thresholds; then claimed as a tax deduction. E.g - earned $100k this year? You might go into the 'high earner' threshold and have to pay a higher percentage of income tax than someone who was in the medium threshold, but if you donate a large portion of your income - enough to keep you below that threshold - you pay less income tax.

This is not how tax brackets work. Unless there is outright fraud, donations to an arms-length charity can never leave you with more money in your pocket than not donating it, or if you have a greater than 100% marginal tax rate (which I don’t think is the case anywhere in the world, not that it’s necessarily a terrible idea).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do you live somewhere with a wealth tax? I don’t understand how the transfer of assets would be advantageous from a tax perspective otherwise.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BrigadierSensible posted:

Please forgive my ignorance.

What exactly is donatism?

Thank you for asking.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mind the walrus posted:

"The Wars" are both about a full century old now. The people who read those newspapers are either dead or extremely elderly.

yes, that’s why op said that it was the parents and grandparents of living people who read the German papers, I believe

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powered Descent posted:

I guess I'll get broken up after the first world war?

It was a sad time for all of us.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ruffian Price posted:

It is baffling that makers of those ridiculously overpriced clothes still rush to save fractions of a cent on production. Why even care at that price point when you're barely improving margins?

I think it's caused by a couple of things, based on some discussions I had with people adjacent to the space:

- the production lines are set up with certain suppliers and techniques, and changing them to be higher quality can involve a lot more cost and delay than just the increase in materials or slight additional time to produce

- the person who is responsible for managing to a budget for production is often very far from the person who "gets" the money from sales, organizationally, and may have fixed budget elements for components of production independent of the item, except for the elements that are "supposed to" be invested in

I have no way to actually evaluate whether any of that is accurate, but the fashion-production-adjacent people I talked with left me with that impression, many moons ago

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

grittyreboot posted:

I don't know if Boogie's gonna catch a charge on this. I would imagine any attorney worth their salt would point out the other guy was stalking, harassing and possibly threatening him.

Mostly don’t attorneys get involved after someone is charged?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

People have already dogged on most of this, but the title of "head of state who has been infected with COVID-19" is one he shares with Bolsonaro and Boris Johnson. I haven't looked at any corona stats from Brazil, but I am still confident stating that anyone capable of pattern recognition would not make this argument.

Johnson is head of government, Elizabeth II is head of state for the UK.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ultrafilter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): I'm existing just for listing!!! > Idiots on Social Media: slavery was hard and so is this workout

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Serious question: what’s the difference between “block all the entrances to a PPE factory” and

LordSaturn posted:

"blockading PPE factories"

?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what’s the “pede” thing, I ask, wincing?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

My inclination is to assume someone whining about the number of counties like that person was is being disingenuous, but I suppose they could also be sincerely confused about the difference between physical bigness and population bigness.

In the case of county-counting, it could easily be by analogy with the US Senate, which counts political divisions rather than population or land area.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Moon Monster posted:

Am I missing something or is this guy boasting that he's kind of a big deal and claiming to personally owning a cool $32k as evidence of that?

If your family is worth $134M and your savings as an adult is $32K, then you are not very close to the financial centre of gravity of your family’s enterprises. (Nobody whose immediate family is worth that much would say “$134M” either; that level of precision is for smaller holdings and celebrity-tracking sites.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Go Bob! You got this!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Parler, I do believe, was the site that required SSN and photos of ID for accounts. Delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aramoro posted:

The game doesn't force you to be complicit in the situation. I'm not sure where the idea there are mandatory cop missions came from, but they're not in the game.

Yeah, it’s easier if you get the rewards for going along with the oppressive system, but when isn’t that the case?

There’s an item you can get early on the game whose description is basically “you can say anything in Japanese and it sounds fancy”. They knew what they were doing when they pulled the thread of Cyberpunk 2020’s exotic-and-dominant-Japan framing through to 2077. V mocking Jackie’s provincial food tastes near the opening is just another piece of that.