Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Len posted:

Is it really stealing LaBs thunder when his thread was posted first?

Isn't that exactly what the phrase normally means? Like, if you know someone has some big news to share and you tell everyone first, you're stealing their thunder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

It's like being a woman to them just means having to be hot 24/7 from 5 to I dunno, 30? Is that too generous?

Pretty sure they think of 30-year-old women as wizened crones. Unless they're teachers who are molesting male students, in which case that's just every teenage boy's fantasy come true.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Isn't this just what most religious people think?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/ms_fishscale/status/1249484419620102145

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Memento posted:

oh good gimmick posting again

have you nothing better to do?

Where do you think you are right now?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've no idea where I read it, but my first techbro invention experience was a gushing retrospective of how they came up with the idea of taxes, because they spent so long talking about every single step of the way, from figuring out how to do group purchases, to the idea of a communal chest that everyone paid into, to their astonishing brilliance in realizing that okaying each purchase was a hassle and a half, so they eventually came up with electing represantives who had the authority to decide how to spend the money in the communal chest.

I can sort of comprehend being so sheltered that you've never heard of buses, vending machines or communal living, but I've no idea what their excuse was. Even tax dodgers are keenly aware that they're expected to share and just refuse to.

It's not that they haven't heard of the thing, it's just that they got to it by such a circuitous route that they're not seeing the end result for what it is. An outsider sees the result and goes "oh, it's <this thing>" but the creator looks at it and sees the original idea and all the interim steps and to them it looks like a new invention because they built it up from first principles. I'm sure everyone's done the same thing at some point, where you work your way through a problem and are absolutely convinced that you've come up with a novel solution only to realise (often much later) that you've just wasted a lot of time reinventing the wheel.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

I guess I'm unclear on what's being banned here, sorry.
:same:

Screaming Idiot posted:

Allow the politics, but ask for people to refrain from personal attacks and multi-page arguments?
Pretty sure those were already not allowed?

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

It is very, very, very important that I be able to post the poo poo you asked me not to post in this thread right here in this very thread instead of one of the thousand other threads that exist exactly for that kind of content.
Speaking for myself, I'm happy to abide by the new rule - I just don't know what is actually now banned and what is still allowed. :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Whoa whoa whoa, slow down doctor brain genius. You're going to have to explain these complicated scientifical terms for us lay-people. What is this... did you say, "med-ee-sine"? I'm no "medical person" (is that the technical term? I've been calling them "doctors" like drat idiot) so I'm not used to all this jargon.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/icklenellierose/status/1254350926556598272

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The leader will be Vince McMahon, the religion will be wrestling.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/akilahgreen/status/1257048985367310336

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edit: "The Safe Schools Coalition Australia (SSCA) was a national network of organisations working with school communities to create safer and more inclusive environments for same sex attracted, intersex and gender diverse students, staff and families."

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 16:42 on May 8, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MizPiz posted:

Are they talking about this SafeSchools? If so, it's definitely not marxist but I could believe pedo poo poo is involved.

No, this one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

20% is just easier to tip. You move a decimal point to the left. You do it again. You smash those numbers together. You write it down. You put down the pen and hand over the receipt, sweaty and nervous, hoping you didn't take too long and that no one witnessed your public display of shameful mental math skills.

Why don't you just not bother with the maths and overestimate? Like, back when cash was a thing, if I was out for a meal with a group of people and the total came out to $27.40 per person I'd just put down $30 and call it good. No, I don't want change, please do not give me coins under any circumstances.

So if you're in a place where tips are a thing and you order a meal that costs, I dunno, $18.50, are you really going to sit there going "well 10% of that is $1.85, times two is $3.70, add that to the original price is $22.20" rather than just going "here's $25"? You're going to sit there and do maths for the sake of a couple of dollars?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/forexposure_txt/status/1264083122204758017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FFT posted:

your first example is not quite 11%

My first example is from a country where we don't do tipping. My point was that it's the same kind of rounding up for the sake of not bothering to do maths. I'm comparing something from my life to a hypothetical situation in which I live in a place where tips are a thing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

some idiot posted:

I have spent $5,835.00 in support of the development of Star Citizen.

How do you write that sentence and not immediately go "oh poo poo, I have obviously been scammed and need to cut my losses right now"? Like, you hear about people who spend huge amounts on mobile games or whatever, but it's all in small increments and it never tallies up how much they've spent in total because most of the time when they see the full amount they immediately realise that it's way more than they thought and stop. But this guy? He knows, down to the dollar, how much he's spent on this non-existent video game and he's still all in?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Breetai posted:

Biggest I've seen was $125k. But that was a while ago and he's been buying more.

Has anyone told these people that video games normally cost, like, $60? Less if you wait a few months.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That "most relevant" setting is the worst. Not only does it just hide some responses for inscrutable reasons, it also shows everything out of order. What a wonderful feature.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mister Olympus posted:

this is like being asked if you want to be invited to an anti-racism meeting, saying yes, then the people inside the meeting hold you down and put a KKK hood on you, take a picture, then say "ha ha, for wanting to understand the racism that is imprinted on you by your culture, you have become the REAL RACIST. look at HOW RACIST you are being RIGHT NOW"

It's actually nothing like that at all, but the made up version of it in your mind certainly does sound dumb.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ilmucche posted:

What is CAMAB and CAFAB

something something male/female abuse?

Coercively Assigned Male/Female At Birth, according to the top result on Google: "This is a term used for intersex people, many of whom actually turn out to be male, but have been assigned the female gender role by their parents and doctors in infancy due to, usually, ambiguous genitalia."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

J.K. Rowling wanted to come up with a word for wizards to call non-wizards. She came up with "muggles."
Is there some significance to that? :confused:

Pththya-lyi posted:

I'M NOT
TO BE

ASHAMED
WHITE
How the hell do people keep doing this? How does anyone look at text formatted this way and not read it like that?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/catherinebouris/status/1272317973869391872

Meshel Laurie is an Australian "comedian".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

Counter arguments to that have included stuff like 'a death in custody includes police vehicle pursuits where the person escaping dies in a crash' which based on a govt report that person shared, accounts for something like 52 out of 167 deaths between 1990 and 2018, but then you have to ask What about the rest? There are still 100+ you've failed to mention.

Also, that's still bad. In fact, if you're arguing that deaths in custody aren't that bad because they're all criminals or whatever then you should still be on the side of making sure the police aren't unnecessarily putting other random passersby in danger by, eg. instigating a high-speed chase resulting in one or more car crashes. There's literally no position from which to argue that the police causing car crashes is a good thing. Like, do they think real police are like the ones in GTA and if the suspect breaks line of sight then they just give up?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm reminded of the bit in character creation in the Shadowrun Returns series where one screen that has the in-character background info says there's no evidence to suggest that trolls are less intelligent than anyone else and then the next screen shows their stats their intelligence actually is capped well below any other race. Like, I see what you were going for there, but you accidentally made it more racist; now you it looks like you're making an analogy to real-world racism and saying that the racists are right.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

You could probably go a long way by not giving anyone penalties too, like maybe everyone gets a bonus but nobody gets penalties.

It also really doesn't help that "intelligence" is a stat. It's pretty hard to avoid unfortunate implications when you decide that intelligence is measurable and some types of people just have more of it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

It's not even supposed to be a measure of how "smart" you are, that's rolled into the wisdom stat. It's just for wizards to keep track of how well they memorize spells

In 5E Intelligence affects History, Investigation, Nature and Religion, ie. things based on knowledge and research. Wisdom is Animal Handling, Insight, Medicine, Perception & Survival, which is a weird mix of knowledge, observation, interpersonal skills and woodcraft.

D&D stats are just dumb and make no sense and would be among the first things I'd change (or throw out) if I were redesigning the game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AITA_reddit/status/1274738381411491846

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

What does any of this mean?

hooman posted:

Australians call them Icy Poles.
That actually varies by region. "Icy pole" is most popular , but "ice block" isn't too far behind and there are other variations like "ice lolly" or "ice pop" and, in parts of Queensland, they call them "by jingos".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Los Pollos Hermanos was a fast food restaurant in the television show Breaking Bad that operated as a front for the owner's illegal drug business.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The picture has been edited to show some American politicians, and labelled "totally legit operation". This is intended ironically.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm just surprised that his go-to Marx brother is Harpo instead of Groucho.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Byzantine posted:

Is wife guy the upgraded form of MY GIRLFRIEND?

100%.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

PetraCore posted:

There's also the fact that the USA's overton window is hosed up so people that are 'liberal' here are 'conservative' elsewhere. What some people don't get is that conservative in the USA means you've gotta be hardcore Into Some poo poo, otherwise you'd just be a centrist.
Americans just use those terms incorrectly. When Americans say "liberal" they mean "Democrat" and when they say "conservative" they mean Republican. Although they often seem to think they're acknowledging international politics by keeping the specific party names out of it, they're actually doing the opposite by using their utterly insane definitions of words that used to be well understood but are now completely useless because no one can ever be sure what you mean by them.

Liberal and conservative aren't even opposites. They're on different axes. Conservatives prefer to maintain the status-quo. Liberals favour policies tending toward free-market capitalism. If the current governmental framework is liberal then liberals are conservatives.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

In Australia our Right Wing party are called The Liberals.
Correctly so. They're using the original meaning of the term from before American media confused everyone.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Some context might be helpful here. Who are these people and what is this about?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Yo, check it. Video games and movies were a mistake.
One of the idiots showed up to defend themself:

https://twitter.com/acer3233/status/1279179339821649922
And a few people in the replies are basically going "well, they apologised, can't hold it against them" like as though getting so angry at a video game that you send death threats to an actor is just a normal, unavoidable part of life.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/americanwombat/status/1279502016817934336

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

this very forum has probably load-bearing code that autobans you if you use the wrong thread tag and that is seen as a feature. That is special knowledge you need to use the forum.

Yep, that's certainly some very well-hidden information that a new user would have no way of knowing when they created their first thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

This obviously isn't the first time it's happened but it is seriously hosed that a 13 year old can be charged as an adult. I don't give a gently caress what they did, what they need is treatment not incarceration. Absolutely nothing will be made better by putting a 13 year old in an adult prison. Not for him and not for society.
Putting adults in adult prison rarely makes anything better either.