Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
my daughter's apatosaurus:

taylor swift's apatosaurus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Daikloktos posted:

Were dinosaurs taxonomically birds, or were they the lizard ancestors of birds

Depending on how broad your taxonomic definitions are, birds are dinosaurs, or fish.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Flavius Aetass posted:

what, and I cannot stress this enough, the gently caress

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

Torosaurus not Chasmosaurus. Most folks would agree with Triceratops being its own thing but its an interesting argument.

Its not super common but yes (trilobites, "branchiosaurs" are two that come to mind).

A little less so but variation is a problem when working with incomplete data such as the fossil record. Also a problem is what we call "cryptic species" among living animals, that only differ genetically. You would never tell that from fossils.

(I'm also a paleontologist, and I know of a few others at various stages of their careers on the forums)

is it possible to mistake paleontologists at diff stages of their careers, as members of distinct professions??

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Squizzle posted:

is it possible to mistake paleontologists at diff stages of their careers, as members of distinct professions??

Yeah most of them appear to the layman as a grant writer

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Flavius Aetass posted:

Whats the reasoning behind this beast

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Flavius Aetass posted:

I always felt like the world was missing a dinosaur with a head like a partially flayed cock

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lightning Knight posted:

Have you been spared that tweet lol

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
I think it looks frightening when it’s cut off. It’s a Doberman—let it have its ears!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Flavius Aetass posted:

Yeah most of them appear to the layman as a grant writer

lol

Here you go, paleontologist love poop and vomit: https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/03/fossilized-vomit-and-feces-are-delighting-paleontologists/

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Gum posted:

While most depictions of humans show them with a thin layer of fur, recent discovery of human fossils at extreme latitudes suggest that humans actually had much thicker coats than other primates

They're going to think we were bloblike creatures based on fossils of Americans after Yellowstone erupts aren't they?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Inshallah

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TheDon01 posted:

Whats the reasoning behind this beast
I think it's operating on elephant logic. Big "ears" = heat regulation.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its all a hoax imo op

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
stephen jay gould ftw punctuated equilibrium ftw

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

actually im a pale epistemologist

thewoof
Sep 11, 2006

My eyes are the eyes
of a dead man.
I feel the unholy stream.

Has anyone else seen that old movie Jurassic Park?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

exmarx posted:

stephen jay gould ftw punctuated equilibrium ftw

Someone gave me a collection of his essays when I was a kid and I loving love it dearly but I have no idea who it was. gotta wonder why they decided a 9 year old would want a collection of essays about evolution and poo poo but it worked out

edit: to be clear I didn’t read it when I was nine, it sat on my shelf for years then when I finally decided to read it it blew my mind

Drunkboxer has issued a correction as of 15:52 on Apr 6, 2020

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Squizzle posted:

Ugh, this thread is WAY too highbrow. What it needs is some really bad and stupid attempts at paleontology by morons.
Let us journey into a magical portal to the world of David Peters, paleoartist, amateur paleontologist, and lord high captain supreme of Dunningkrugerland. The most insane things have been highlighted for your pleasure.

Darren Naish posted:

Stage 1. Starting in 1995, Dave began publishing arguments and hypotheses in the technical literature. He started with a brief letter in Nature (Peters 1995) where he suggested that previous authors (Unwin & Bakhurina 1994) had erred in their interpretation of a particular pterosaur’s wing membranes (that particular pterosaur was Sordes pilosus, a small, long-tailed form from Kazakhstan). What happened in that 1995 article set the course for everything that was to follow: Dave looked at published photos of the pterosaur concerned, thought he could see something that the original authors (and everyone else who’d looked at the actual fossil) had missed, and based his whole argument on the re-imagining of an image (Peters 1995). In their response to Dave’s article, Unwin & Bakhurina (1995) noted that “Peters’… reconstruction… is based on a highly unreliable technique, interpretation of photographs” (p. 316).

Darren Naish posted:

Stage 3. The Longisquama holotype consists of the front half of the animal, preserved on a slab of matrix. It seems that the adjacent chunks of matrix are known, but they’ve rarely been figured in the literature. By using a special photo-tracing technique [read on] on both the front half of the specimen, and on the additional segments of matrix, Dave claimed some time round about 2003 that he (and everyone else) had previously understated the weirdness of Longisquama. He claimed to find the whole back end of the animal – the hips, the hindlimbs, the tail, and a whole bunch of additional, giant appendages. And hitherto-overlooked baby specimens of Longisquama were preserved on the slabs as well.
[...]
Dave had now crossed the line from producing remarkable-but-just-about-plausible results to freakin’-crazy-almost-certainly-not-real results. Longisquama-like dorsal frills, claimed Dave, were present in pterosaurs. Yes, in ALL pterosaurs. Short-tailed pterosaurs were not actually short-tailed: they actually, said Dave, have long, whip-like tails, often with tassels at the ends. Furthermore, toothless pterosaurs actually have teeth after all, wing-fingers still have claws at their tips, and digit V is still present in the pterosaur hand, says Dave. Some pterosaurs have two nostrils, says Dave (as in, two on each side). Dewlaps, enormous dorsal crests and even anglerfish-like ‘lures’ decorate the heads, snouts and throats of Dave’s pterosaurs. Some of these structures, says Dave, are about as big as the animal’s head and body combined. ‘Best’ of all, pterosaurs of many kinds are – says Dave – preserved with babies attached to, or adjacent to, their bodies. These babies are, says Dave, built like miniature adults (that is, they have adult-like proportions), decorated with the same grandiose flaps, frills and dewlaps as Dave’s adults, AND they have wholly unossified skeletons, hence explaining their feint, translucent, near-invisible essence on the slab. I’m not joking about any of this stuff: it’s all documented online, and also in Peters (2004).

Darren Naish posted:

[...]What I’m getting at here is that people who come along and properly instigate paradigm shifts or convincingly overturn long-held models are exceptional, and either incredibly gifted, incredibly lucky, incredibly hard-working, or incredibly rich… or some or all of the above.

David Peters would have us believe that just about the whole ‘mainstream’, accepted structure of the tetrapod tree is wrong, and that he – uniquely – has discovered a wholly new, paradigm-busting one.

Darren Naish posted:

[...]In additional to this phylogenetic re-shuffling, and in addition to those many new details of anatomy that he claims he’s discovered (more on that in a moment), Dave also thinks that he’s discovered some crucial new stuff about the biology and behaviour of pterosaurs and other fossil tetrapods. Using the digital tracing technique, he claims to have discovered flightless pterosaurs, vampiric pterosaurs that bit dinosaurs, widespread evidence of super-narrow wing membranes, and even prey items (like insects) preserved within the mouths of some animals. Pterosaurs have generally been assumed to be egg-layers, an inference based mostly on their hypothesised position among archosaurs. Recent finds of baby pterosaurs preserved within eggs (Chiappe et al. 2004, Ji et al. 2004, Wang & Zhou 2004), and of an egg preserved right next to the pelvis of a particular pterosaur specimen (Lü et al. 2011), provide compelling support for that assumption.

But Dave’s claim that numerous unossified baby pterosaurs are preserved alongside – or on or even in – the bodies of adult specimens is discordant with this, since their 'presence' led Dave to argue that pterosaurs were viviparous. After the first baby pterosaur preserved inside an eggshell was discovered, Dave seriously proposed that it represented a miniature kind of pterosaur – he named it Avgodectes pseudembryon – that took to hiding inside broken eggshells (he published that name in the magazine Prehistoric Times).

Darren Naish posted:

Dave thinks that a number of small pterosaur specimens – interpreted by everyone else as juveniles of Pterodactylus and other taxa – are actually miniature adults. His interpretations are dependent on his digital tracing technique, and on the incorporation of the characters he finds via digital tracing into his phylogenetic analyses. Given that he interprets these tiny animals as adults, and given that he contends that growth in pterosaurs was isometric, he proposes that the babies of these miniature pterosaurs were less than 10 mm long. Yes, less than 10 mm long.

This is an awfully long list of heresies to come from one researcher. Is it impossible that Dave Peters really is the most insightful, most gifted, most brilliant compiler and analyser of phylogenetic data of our time? No, it is not impossible. Is it likely?

Darren Naish posted:

[...]Dave is a bit of a contradiction on this front. He’s thrown a million radically strange new discoveries out there at a phenomenally rapid pace, and indeed the rate at which his ‘discoveries’ occur is unprecedented. Dave proclaims frequently that he changes his ideas when he’s wrong, and indeed he invites others to test his claims. So far so good. But, when others don’t see what he sees, when they criticise his interpretations and his methods, he remains steadfast in his opinion that they’re wrong because they’re biased, because they’re refusing to use the same method that he does (read on), or because they can’t provide a superior hypothesis.

What about the alternative – that they’re not wrong? I’ve now corresponded with Dave on several occasions about the structures he reports to find. He seems very confident that he’s always right, yet I don’t think that he ever is. I am not alone; many others have challenged Dave’s observations in discussion (virtually all of this is online, though see Bennett 2005), and indeed Dave’s work is ignored by publishing scientists.[...]

For more david peters, simply google 'david peters pterosaurs' for articles outlining why he's insane, (and sometimes him leaving plaintive comments on other people's papers asking why his incredibly important research hasn't been used as their foundation). Often he will show up in the comments to personally explain how incredibly unowned he is, and also that btw he's being 'blackwashed' by Big Paleo. You can also find him on his blog, the pterosaur heresies, where he daily outlines his many important phylogenetic discoveries, each of which overturns decades if not centuries of work by blinkered and ignorant fools, like that toothed and baleen whales descend from completely separate groups of mammals and toothed whales specifically evolved from tenrecs.

Alternatively, if you'd like to see crazy people with too much time on their hands that don't bother with even faux-humility, you can look up John V. Jackson, aka 'strangetruther', who randomly erupts across the internet whenever someone dares contradict his completely sane and absolutely accurate self-published science, with coherent arguments like

John V. Jackson posted:

Yeah... only I covered this in my book published 4 years ago: "The Secret Dinobird Story". I notice my name doesn't appear in this blog page so you've managed to find a reason to airbrush the person who has made the greatest contribution to the understanding of Drepanosaurs.

I wonder if you can even be bothered to make an excuse for this blatant transgression. Don't give me that crap about peer review. You've shown that you disapprove of publishing anomalies yourself, when it suits you. In fact peer review is only there so that people can stick their noses up in the air and hide behind their poncy cravats when they can't do the science as well as others but want to pretend they can.

THIS DREPANOSAUR ISSUE HAS BEEN SOLVED. It wasn't by you and it never will have been.

You'll regret this.

John V. Jackson posted:

Silvio may have mentioned gliding for drepanosaurs in 2010 but I'd already covered the idea pretty expansively on either the vertpaleo list or the palaeo list over five years earlier, both of which Silvio subscribed and posted to, and, on the one I'm referring to, actually on the subject of drepanosaurs and at the time of my posting.

Anyway, he doesn't seem himself to believe in gliding for drepanosaurs other than Hypuronector, so he can't claim credit for understanding Megalancosaurus.

Palaeontology again revealed as an area seen to be not a science but a minor decoration on flawed social activity by groupists with pretences but no expertise in technical or difficult but vital abstract areas. Time I got on to Portsmouth University's funding procedures.

John Jackson.
http://sciencepolice2010.wordpress.com
Yes, that is the name of his website. It really is.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Squizzle posted:

Ontology Trump's epistemology

Lol auto correct going to leave it though

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Drakyn posted:

Ugh, this thread is WAY too highbrow. What it needs is some really bad and stupid attempts at paleontology by morons.
Let us journey into a magical portal to the world of David Peters, paleoartist, amateur paleontologist, and lord high captain supreme of Dunningkrugerland. The most insane things have been highlighted for your pleasure.

For more david peters, simply google 'david peters pterosaurs' for articles outlining why he's insane, (and sometimes him leaving plaintive comments on other people's papers asking why his incredibly important research hasn't been used as their foundation). Often he will show up in the comments to personally explain how incredibly unowned he is, and also that btw he's being 'blackwashed' by Big Paleo. You can also find him on his blog, the pterosaur heresies, where he daily outlines his many important phylogenetic discoveries, each of which overturns decades if not centuries of work by blinkered and ignorant fools, like that toothed and baleen whales descend from completely separate groups of mammals and toothed whales specifically evolved from tenrecs.

Alternatively, if you'd like to see crazy people with too much time on their hands that don't bother with even faux-humility, you can look up John V. Jackson, aka 'strangetruther', who randomly erupts across the internet whenever someone dares contradict his completely sane and absolutely accurate self-published science, with coherent arguments like

Yes, that is the name of his website. It really is.

Oh God what are you doing you will summon him that way

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Oh God what are you doing you will summon him that way
Incoming new blogpost: 'confirmed: koalas are arboreal pandas and moles are highly specialized forms of tuatara, also i am being paleontologically BLACKWASHED by the elitist hivemind of something awful dot com who are just frightened of REAL SCIENCE.'

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

It's cool how people used to use the model of a crocodile for drawing what dinosaurs might have looked like, and gave them minimal excess facial flesh or lips. See the old t-rex illustrations with exposed teeth and such. Now more modern illustrations are like, actually they had poofy feathers and migght have had weird prehensile trunks or mobile lips or more chubby faces. We can't tell because the fossil record makes it hard to know!

Here's what some mammals would look like if we used that model to try to see what they looked like from skeletons:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/natashaumer/dinosaur-animals

Dinosaurs probably had wattles and flappy bits and poo poo

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Bones

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Bone Zone Bone Zone Bone Zone

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Todd Bonezalez

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

paul_soccer12 posted:

Todd Bonezalez

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

paul_soccer12

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

No wait uhh..

paul_

uh

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

pauleontology_soccer12

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

:hek:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

TODD BONZALEZ posted:

It's cool how people used to use the model of a crocodile for drawing what dinosaurs might have looked like, and gave them minimal excess facial flesh or lips. See the old t-rex illustrations with exposed teeth and such. Now more modern illustrations are like, actually they had poofy feathers and migght have had weird prehensile trunks or mobile lips or more chubby faces. We can't tell because the fossil record makes it hard to know!

Here's what some mammals would look like if we used that model to try to see what they looked like from skeletons:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/natashaumer/dinosaur-animals

Dinosaurs probably had wattles and flappy bits and poo poo

Then there was the one graduate student that was very artistically inclined that made a life sized sculpture of a new theropod he was naming and planning to splash in the press that, like you said, was showing all of the bones with a thin drape of skin covering it. When I saw it I said "if you brought that to a veterinarian they would euthanize it on the spot".

It was a nice sculpture of a seriously anorexic dinosaur though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

paul_soccer12 posted:

Todd Bonezalez
of the

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Bone Zone Bone Zone Bone Zone

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

I don’t know anything about dinosaurs, but do know raptors are loving cool

Flavius Aetass