Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

discovered by soviet/mongolian collaboration, combining cspam favs: communism; genghis khan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Flavius Aetass posted:

Turns out they're big turkeys

You're a big Turkey

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa:

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

somebody post a hi-res of a dinosaur feather encased in amber or some poo poo i am going to study it

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Impkins Patootie posted:

somebody post a hi-res of a dinosaur feather encased in amber or some poo poo i am going to study it

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

when i took paleontology course (im a college edumacated geologist) i liked what my TA called "jellies"

the little fellers in rocks and whatnot

both the tiny ones and the somewhat bigger junk people pulled out of the lagerstattens

sponge spicules!

diatoms!

radiolarians!

stromatolites!

our good friend the trilobite!

learning to tell these apart under a microscope or in hand sample when you'd just have a random piece or cross section through a shell was great fun

you'd also end up with, off the top of my head, instances where you'd get the remnant evidence of the passing through of ancient worms and stranger things- their burrows or the impression they made on mud flats when they traversed it with a bunch of tiny legs or whatever. the variety of locomotion employed by all these things was pretty wild compared to all the boring bipeds and quadrapeds you're used to seeing.
these are called trace fossils.

wolfs has issued a correction as of 16:29 on Apr 7, 2020

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

if earths geologic existence is the Beatles sgt pepper lonely hearts club album then the length of the final track "her majesty" comprises the span of time that humans have roamed the planet. i took historical geology as an elective in college

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

ah fantastic specimens! Ty

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

little fellers in rocks you say?!

cross post from the crab thread:

Hoplosternum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i08grIdFCB4

Interesting video showing a person releasing a prehistoric 'good crab' from it's stone concretion. Good crab.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i would proudly become friends w a miocene crab buddy

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Impkins Patootie posted:

if earths geologic existence is the Beatles sgt pepper lonely hearts club album then the length of the final track "her majesty" comprises the span of time that humans have roamed the planet. i took historical geology as an elective in college

take a class on beatles albums because that song's on abbey road

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

since someone mentioned paleoart and how a lot of artists depicted dinosaurs with bare exposed teeth like crocodiles, I'm going to post one of the best paleoartists, Charles R Knight. Knight produced his most famous work in the late 19th and early 20th century. Although his recreations were limited by the mainstream interpretations of dinosaur biology at the time, they were relatively pioneering in their depictions of dinosaurs as active and dynamic animals.

Besides enjoying their artistic value I think it is interesting to compare his recreations with those of later artists. It's interesting how based on our current mainstream understanding, he probably gets things right that many later recreations got wrong. For example his inclusion of gums on the above depiction of Tyrannosaurus rex, which many later artists would remove, and his attention to get the fatty and muscular tissue right to avoid the emaciated look of eighties paleoart.

While of course the depicted behavior of the two Dryptosauri in the last image I posted is speculative, I love the cat like movements he gives them. So many illustrations just have the animals staring blankly off into the distance like a bored cow, but Knight was excellent at actually giving his subjects a spark of life.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Flavius Aetass posted:

yeah yeah abbey road i needed a popular album with a particularly short final track u see

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

so, zero seconds of sgt pepper

which is p accurate in this comparison

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm a paleoanthropologist, feel free to ask me anything

actually don't. i'm terrible at my job and i don't know anything

...the foramen magnum is bigger in neanderthalensis!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Dolphin posted:

can u tell me about the state of current research into denisovans, archaic humans in SE Asia, and the recent genetic evidence of an archaic West African population? por favor

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Danny Vendramini believes that Neandertals were nocturnal predators that almost hunted humans into extinction. He also believes they looked like this:

"One of the forensic reconstructions of Homo neanderthalensis commissioned by Vendramini, based on his extensive research on Neanderthal physiology and ecology"
Note the vertical pupils, like a cat!

Who is Danny Vendramini? Nobody really interesting afaik: from his website "Danny Vendramini was born in Alice Springs, in the Australian outback. He had successful careers in a number of fields – as a theater director, TV producer and award-winning film director and scriptwriter – before turning to evolutionary biology." Here's so more nonsense from his very slow-loading website:

"Vendramini demonstrates that the optical orbits (eye sockets) of Neanderthals were considerably larger than humans. He theorizes Neanderthals evolved these extra large eyes because, like most mammalian predators, they were nocturnal hunter. Slit-shaped pupils are better suited to the eyes of nocturnal primates (right) because they can close down tighter, preventing damage to their super-sensitive eyes from strong sunlight. NP theory argues that, like modern nocturnal predators, Neanderthals had slit-shaped pupils to protect them from snow blindness."

"Neandertals were such devastating predators that "this prolonged period of cannibalistic and sexual predation began about 100,000 years ago and that by 50,000 years ago, the human population in the Levant was reduced to as few as 50 individuals.The death toll from Neanderthal predation generated the selection pressure that transformed the tiny survivor population of early humans into modern humans. This Levantine group became the founding population of all humans living today."

Here's another very scientific picture of Vendramini's orc/gorilla Neandertals. NSFW just because there's ambiguous Neandertal genitalia: https://i.imgur.com/dVQNxPJ.jpg

He doesn't explain why he thinks they were muscled like gorillas or covered in shaggy black hair. Presumably he does in the book but I'm not buying it.

"If you’re disturbed by these images, there’s a good reason for it. Like other prey species, humans have an innate capacity to recognize our natural predator. What Neanderthals ‘felt’ like is hardwired into our genes. Neanderthal predation was so traumatic that even 28,000 years after the last Neanderthal disappeared, they can still push our buttons."

Flavius Aetass posted:

I feel like that says a lot more about Danny Vendramini than Neanderthals

It is...not difficult at all to see a bunch of racist bs in this theory, yeah.

Sharkie has issued a correction as of 03:16 on Apr 8, 2020

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I feel like that says a lot more about Danny Vendramini than Neanderthals

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Dolphin posted:

Hows work.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sharkie posted:

Racist...against Europeans!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I’m sure paleontology has its own cast of weirdo cranks and conspiracy theories and I want to know about all of them.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

wolfs posted:

radiolarians!

Disgusting. Even microorganisms have monarchists.

But those are real organisms and not something from a metal album cover? Nature really is cool.

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
1pm EST, check out this link for Dr. Lisa Amati's presentation, Fossil or Fake. She is the State Paleontologist of NY and is doing the first of many events from her living room.

Fossil or Fake

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Sharkie posted:

Danny Vendramini believes that Neandertals were nocturnal predators that almost hunted humans into extinction. He also believes they looked like this:

"One of the forensic reconstructions of Homo neanderthalensis commissioned by Vendramini, based on his extensive research on Neanderthal physiology and ecology"
Note the vertical pupils, like a cat!

Who is Danny Vendramini? Nobody really interesting afaik: from his website "Danny Vendramini was born in Alice Springs, in the Australian outback. He had successful careers in a number of fields – as a theater director, TV producer and award-winning film director and scriptwriter – before turning to evolutionary biology." Here's so more nonsense from his very slow-loading website:

"Vendramini demonstrates that the optical orbits (eye sockets) of Neanderthals were considerably larger than humans. He theorizes Neanderthals evolved these extra large eyes because, like most mammalian predators, they were nocturnal hunter. Slit-shaped pupils are better suited to the eyes of nocturnal primates (right) because they can close down tighter, preventing damage to their super-sensitive eyes from strong sunlight. NP theory argues that, like modern nocturnal predators, Neanderthals had slit-shaped pupils to protect them from snow blindness."

"Neandertals were such devastating predators that "this prolonged period of cannibalistic and sexual predation began about 100,000 years ago and that by 50,000 years ago, the human population in the Levant was reduced to as few as 50 individuals.The death toll from Neanderthal predation generated the selection pressure that transformed the tiny survivor population of early humans into modern humans. This Levantine group became the founding population of all humans living today."

Here's another very scientific picture of Vendramini's orc/gorilla Neandertals. NSFW just because there's ambiguous Neandertal genitalia: https://i.imgur.com/dVQNxPJ.jpg

He doesn't explain why he thinks they were muscled like gorillas or covered in shaggy black hair. Presumably he does in the book but I'm not buying it.

"If you’re disturbed by these images, there’s a good reason for it. Like other prey species, humans have an innate capacity to recognize our natural predator. What Neanderthals ‘felt’ like is hardwired into our genes. Neanderthal predation was so traumatic that even 28,000 years after the last Neanderthal disappeared, they can still push our buttons."

i bet he just watched Quest for Fire and got confused about which ones were neanderthals

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I’m sure paleontology has its own cast of weirdo cranks and conspiracy theories and I want to know about all of them.

Well, aside from the BANDit holdouts (Birds Are Not Dinosaurs) there's this guy who thinks that big dinosaurs like sauropods and the big therapods must have all been aquatic after all.

(He's a microbiologist, for extra Dunning-Kruger points.)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Goon Boots posted:

Disgusting. Even microorganisms have monarchists.

But those are real organisms and not something from a metal album cover? Nature really is cool.

this plate is from one of my favorite works of art in Natural History. It's name is Kunstformen der Natur by the zoologist Ernst Haeckel, and was published in 1904. Haeckel was a pioneering biologist, being the first to coin terms like ecology, phylum, phylogeny, and Protista. In Kunstformen der Natur he produced hundreds of plates detailing phyogenic relationships of organisms and illustrated their defining physical features. More artistically, he also used it as an opportunity to explore his interests in subjects such as scaling symmetry, and his work would be influential in the subsequent Art Nouveau movement. You can still see traces of this in the bas reliefs and porticos of many early 20th century museums and university buildings.

Discomedusae subclass within Cnideria

Family Orchidae, the Orchid family of flowering plants.

Family Trochilidae, the hummingbirds.

Unfortunately, Haeckel was not a good person. He was so awful in fact that no matter how beautiful his work its sometimes hard for me to enjoy it. He was one of the "pioneers" in scientific racism, an advocate for imperialism and a eugenics activist. a brief summary of his politics from wikipedia:

quote:

Haeckel was an advocate of scientific racism. He held that evolutionary biology had definitively proven that races were unequal in intelligence and ability, and that their lives were also of unequal value.[62] As a result of the "struggle for existence", it followed that the "lower" races would eventually be exterminated.[63] He was also a social Darwinist who believed that "survival of the fittest" was a natural law, and that struggle led to improvement of the race.[64] As an advocate of eugenics, he also believed that about 200,000 mentally-ill and congenitally-ill should be murdered by a medical control board.[65] (This idea was later put into practice by the Third Reich, as part of the Aktion T4 program.)[66] Alfred Ploetz, founder of the German Society for Racial Hygiene, praised Haeckel repeatedly, and invited him to become an honorary member. Haeckel accepted the invitation.[67] Haeckel also believed that Germany should be governed by an authoritarian political system, and that inequalities both within and between societies were an inevitable product of evolutionary law.[68] Haeckel was also an extreme German nationalist who believed strongly in the superiority of German culture.[69]

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Haeckel's Law <<< von Baer's Law

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
why did crocodiles survive when all the semi-aquatic dinosaurs and other large animals die off?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
haha stumped you science bitches

GOD IS RESL

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

this is like if Peter Watts sincerely advocated for the existence of the vampires from Blindsight

I love it

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
My favorite is Lystrosaurus as wikipedia tells me that at one time they accounted for 95% of land vertebrates during the early triassic.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

My favorite is Lystrosaurus as wikipedia tells me that at one time they accounted for 95% of land vertebrates during the early triassic.

that's a good one. I feel like in life it must have been extremely derpy tho. The Liberty Ship of the animal world

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Flavius Aetass posted:

why did crocodiles survive when all the semi-aquatic dinosaurs and other large animals die off?

very slow metabolism, same reason all the other big slow stupid animals (frogs, turtles, mammals) survived

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Wanted By Weed posted:

I will appreciate literally anything you post, paleontologists are undoing God's work

and bless them for it!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
My dreams to become a dinosaur paleontologist were crushed years ago when after getting my undergrad at IUP with geology I thought getting into grad school for Vertebrate Paleo would be fine, but turns out niche fields don't leave a lot of rooms for RAs and TAs :negative:

Anyway I still like that at my undergrad I got to do a cool project with Trilobites and conodonts to use specimens around the US (Alaska, Utah, Texas, Oklahoma, and Virginia where I did field work) to form a case that the boundary of Stage 10 of the Cambrian should be defined by the appearance of the conodont Eocondontus notchpeakensis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambrian_Stage_10#cite_note-Landing_2011-3 (my prof made me an author for a French Paleontology manuscript with this research)
I will say this research was really fun to do work wise, I remember for Spring Break having my dad drive me from home to college (he was working on an old coal power plant that was near Indiana, PA) getting there at like 5 am, and I'd get in the lab get some rocks that needed cracking, used the scope the clean up the trilobites, and then worked on making diagrams/charts using adobe illustrator while spending a third of the time surfing the web on the laptop next to the work computer.

Wish I had the image of Glaberaspis vescula because I was told me and my prof (John Taylor who's now retired) were the first to get a good enough specimen to document the pygidium.

Anyway at the same time I'm now 10 years volunteering in the Paleontology Lab at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History so I still get my Paleontology fix without having to pay grad student loans so maybe I dodged a bullet. Matt Lamanna is a cool rear end dude even though he is going to work himself to an early grave.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

i'm a big fan of ankylosaurids, or as we like to be known in the fandom, "ankies"

just imagine those heavily armored beasts rolling along the way, flattening anything that dared to oppose them

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Sojenus posted:

i'm a big fan of ankylosaurids, or as we like to be known in the fandom, "ankies"

just imagine those heavily armored beasts rolling along the way, flattening anything that dared to oppose them

majestic

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
do you think any dinosaurs could’ve been tipped like cows?

my bet is stegosaurus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

you can't tip cows, they sleep lying down