Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

little fellers in rocks you say?!

cross post from the crab thread:

Hoplosternum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i08grIdFCB4

Interesting video showing a person releasing a prehistoric 'good crab' from it's stone concretion. Good crab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

since someone mentioned paleoart and how a lot of artists depicted dinosaurs with bare exposed teeth like crocodiles, I'm going to post one of the best paleoartists, Charles R Knight. Knight produced his most famous work in the late 19th and early 20th century. Although his recreations were limited by the mainstream interpretations of dinosaur biology at the time, they were relatively pioneering in their depictions of dinosaurs as active and dynamic animals.

Besides enjoying their artistic value I think it is interesting to compare his recreations with those of later artists. It's interesting how based on our current mainstream understanding, he probably gets things right that many later recreations got wrong. For example his inclusion of gums on the above depiction of Tyrannosaurus rex, which many later artists would remove, and his attention to get the fatty and muscular tissue right to avoid the emaciated look of eighties paleoart.

While of course the depicted behavior of the two Dryptosauri in the last image I posted is speculative, I love the cat like movements he gives them. So many illustrations just have the animals staring blankly off into the distance like a bored cow, but Knight was excellent at actually giving his subjects a spark of life.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Dolphin posted:

i'm a paleoanthropologist, feel free to ask me anything

actually don't. i'm terrible at my job and i don't know anything

...the foramen magnum is bigger in neanderthalensis!

can u tell me about the state of current research into denisovans, archaic humans in SE Asia, and the recent genetic evidence of an archaic West African population? por favor

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Goon Boots posted:

Disgusting. Even microorganisms have monarchists.

But those are real organisms and not something from a metal album cover? Nature really is cool.

this plate is from one of my favorite works of art in Natural History. It's name is Kunstformen der Natur by the zoologist Ernst Haeckel, and was published in 1904. Haeckel was a pioneering biologist, being the first to coin terms like ecology, phylum, phylogeny, and Protista. In Kunstformen der Natur he produced hundreds of plates detailing phyogenic relationships of organisms and illustrated their defining physical features. More artistically, he also used it as an opportunity to explore his interests in subjects such as scaling symmetry, and his work would be influential in the subsequent Art Nouveau movement. You can still see traces of this in the bas reliefs and porticos of many early 20th century museums and university buildings.

Discomedusae subclass within Cnideria

Family Orchidae, the Orchid family of flowering plants.

Family Trochilidae, the hummingbirds.

Unfortunately, Haeckel was not a good person. He was so awful in fact that no matter how beautiful his work its sometimes hard for me to enjoy it. He was one of the "pioneers" in scientific racism, an advocate for imperialism and a eugenics activist. a brief summary of his politics from wikipedia:

quote:

Haeckel was an advocate of scientific racism. He held that evolutionary biology had definitively proven that races were unequal in intelligence and ability, and that their lives were also of unequal value.[62] As a result of the "struggle for existence", it followed that the "lower" races would eventually be exterminated.[63] He was also a social Darwinist who believed that "survival of the fittest" was a natural law, and that struggle led to improvement of the race.[64] As an advocate of eugenics, he also believed that about 200,000 mentally-ill and congenitally-ill should be murdered by a medical control board.[65] (This idea was later put into practice by the Third Reich, as part of the Aktion T4 program.)[66] Alfred Ploetz, founder of the German Society for Racial Hygiene, praised Haeckel repeatedly, and invited him to become an honorary member. Haeckel accepted the invitation.[67] Haeckel also believed that Germany should be governed by an authoritarian political system, and that inequalities both within and between societies were an inevitable product of evolutionary law.[68] Haeckel was also an extreme German nationalist who believed strongly in the superiority of German culture.[69]

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

My favorite is Lystrosaurus as wikipedia tells me that at one time they accounted for 95% of land vertebrates during the early triassic.

that's a good one. I feel like in life it must have been extremely derpy tho. The Liberty Ship of the animal world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Pitcher Witcher posted:

Do paleontologists get guns pointed at them by dingus landowners while working on a site like my archaeologist uncle does? Or is that just because he works in Idaho? Now that I think about it does that happen outside the u.s.?

you get guns pointed at you trying to work with live animals too. nothing makes people act crazy like a little bit of land :/