Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I miss the feeling of walking to the library on summer vacation and staring at the illustrations in a gregory s paul book for hours :unsmith:

is it true that t. rex had a large frontal ribcage thing that made him barrel shaped, unlike the sleeker versions we've seen since the 80s or so?

e: i am a good 20 years behind on dinosaurs btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I remember reading that something as well-known as triceratops could have been just a juvenile chasmosaurus IIRC

I haven't been able to find any reference to that since reading it a few years back and if wikipedia is a guide to general consensus I'd say triceratops is definitely its own thing

i would imagine the real problems exist for species that are identified based on like two bone fragments or whatever

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
not sure why those things remind me of james carville

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Torosaurus not Chasmosaurus. Most folks would agree with Triceratops being its own thing but its an interesting argument.

we must go longer

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
my daughter's apatosaurus:

taylor swift's apatosaurus:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Squizzle posted:

is it possible to mistake paleontologists at diff stages of their careers, as members of distinct professions??

Yeah most of them appear to the layman as a grant writer

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Turns out they're big turkeys

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Impkins Patootie posted:

if earths geologic existence is the Beatles sgt pepper lonely hearts club album then the length of the final track "her majesty" comprises the span of time that humans have roamed the planet. i took historical geology as an elective in college

take a class on beatles albums because that song's on abbey road

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I feel like that says a lot more about Danny Vendramini than Neanderthals

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
why did crocodiles survive when all the semi-aquatic dinosaurs and other large animals die off?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
haha stumped you science bitches

GOD IS RESL

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I know that paleontologists and archaeologists are very delicate when excavating, but how do you avoid breaking anything in the shovel/pickaxe stage before you know what's there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
cool video, thank you!