Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Hello!

Welcome to a thread about paleontology, both the science of it and the politics! This is a thread to discuss anything that falls under the field of paleontology, defined by Wikipedia as "the scientific study of life that existed prior to, and sometimes including, the start of the Holocene Epoch (roughly 11,700 years before present)."

This means motherfuckin' dinosaurs hell yeah!!!

But also any other ancient life, including Cenozoic mammals to the Cambrian explosion.

However, this thread is also for discussing ongoing legal issues, court cases, or political disputes surrounding the fossils of ancient life, such as what happens when fossils are found on land belonging to Native peoples. You can also discuss scientific disputes surrounding ancient life, if that's your bag.

But most importantly post pictures of motherfuckin' dinosaurs hell yeah!!!

PS: the "Poo" in the title refers to coprolite which is the scientific name for fossilized poop. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GCU Quelle Suprise posted:

Howdy, socially anxious paleontologist here! Also, Atrocious, are you Darren? Cuz you know me through the grapevine!

I'm prob not gonna post much cuz posting gives me the agita, but I'm psyched about this thread!!!

please let me know if anything is wrong in the op or needs to be added, tia

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Flavius Aetass posted:

my daughter's apatosaurus:

taylor swift's apatosaurus:

what, and I cannot stress this enough, the gently caress

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
do you think any dinosaurs could’ve been tipped like cows?

my bet is stegosaurus

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lmao

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sullat posted:

My son recently dug up some dinosaur fossils. He put them together like how the skeleton must have been. What do you guys think? He thinks its a new species of T-Rex, he calls it 'Minisaurus Rex'. He wanted me to show it to some scientists, and I figure you guys are close enough.

Tell ur son that we want to see more of his paleontology digs, at his earliest convenience, please. :hai:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

that looks like a goddamned horse hoof

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bilirubin posted:

I've seen some fossil marine reptile paddles where the bones were replaced by gem quality opal.

Wait here is a whole pliosaur: https://io9.gizmodo.com/eric-the-pliosaur-one-of-the-most-interesting-fossils-5987941

these kinds of fossils are probably fairly valuable, getting any of them into museums or scientific labs instead of private collections - or worse, destroyed to make jewelry - is a minor miracle I imagine

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Atrocious Joe posted:

am I crazy for thinking private collections should be illegal, or at least heavily regulated and permitted? not necessarily for common stuff like invertebrates or plants, but it seems wild for rich people to buy up dinosaur fossils which the wider scientific community may never know about.

Everything about paleontology I learned from Walking with Dinosaurs and that documentary about Sue being excavated. So please tell me if this is stupid for reasons I'm not thinking of.

I can't really think of a reason why not making sure fossils are held as heritage of all humankind, or what have you, and always stored in publicly owned and operated museums/research institutes, wouldn't be the correct thing to do.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Look at this sick filth

https://twitter.com/ComicaI/status/1270129999903969280?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
rocks in their natural habitat lol owns