Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Kin posted:

Is there a decent website for totally novice people looking to grow their own veg?

I'm talking a step by step guide with links to things to buy and explanations for any and all jargon.

I basically just wanna try growing poo poo like potatoes, carrots, broccoli etc but have absolutely no idea where to begin.
It's crazy easy.

Go to Wilkos, look at the seeds and they'll say when and how to grow them.

For outdoor plants, If you have a garden or allotment make sure you weed it thoroughly. Maybe even make a raised bed with a tarp or something to protect it.

Be ready to cover them up if the weather goes cold again, or water them if there is a dry streak

Ive got a raised bed at a friend's allotment, with the edges covered in copper tape (slug deterrent) and it's doing really well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

not having a microwaved spoons burger is too high a price to save thousands of vulnerable lives..

restart the economy!

can't wait to get me one of those huge sports direct mugs

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Prince John posted:

I'll make a small contribution to bird chat. They aren't perfectly focused but these were flying overhead this afternoon!

Great shots!

We never really got red kites down in the southwest, so I'm always excited to see them when I'm around Wales/Midlands way

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

This thread is very salty that the Hoff is now Lab leader

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

That news about Boris is terrible :(

those poor poor hospital staff

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

i don't think we should making jokes about boris' potential demise if it means that [AMOUNT_ERROR] children are parentless

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

looks like a harlequin, confirm the id and kill the fucker

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

winegums posted:

I'm not convinced any of the shitshow of replacements in the tory party would want to take over once boris RIPs outa here. Brexit was bad enough, but at least they could massage things with their extensive control of the media. Pretty hard to bullshit and blame brussels on the massive loving body count but obviously they'll try.

same landmass as china not island like grate britten :smug:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

paternal blond hair flopping in their eyes

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

i hope he is being helped by a diverse group of nurses and doctors from all backgrounds, many of which he has encouraged racism towards, so that if he does recover he has a new sense of respect, humanity and decency.

Hahaahahahahahaha

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

i'll be on my doorstep tonight for the BJ applause, but i'll be noting house numbers of clappers for 'future endeavours'

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

might write a facebook post saying that sound aves from claps travel at exactly 14.32khz, aka the activation frequency for coronavirus attached to airbourne dust particles. Don't clap!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Big Train, Monkey Dust and Brass Eye

Just name dropping.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

holy poo poo

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

who here has vr gear for their pc? i have a question

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Yes they have a whole category for it, in fact.

just thought i'd see if some people in here would enjoy some steam codes for vr games i have

nvm

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

Can I just point out that no-one working at a university ever loving wanted to sell education as a commodity to begin with? Credit for that idea goes to Blair, Cameron and Clegg.

e: As for where the money went, I think mostly the government cut the teaching budget to match so we never got much (if any) extra money to begin with. In terms of what waste I can see now, mostly the existence of upper management and their fetish for shiny new buildings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-29262526

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I organise by weight

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

i've been sat playing cities skylines all day, i'm a loving hero compared to half this thread

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Did you roleplay real life and completely shut down the traffic by, well, by doing anything in cities: skylines

i'm playing it on ps4 so no hope of any traffic mods/improvements

they literally all go in a single lane on the freeway, regardless of which exit they're taking

very similar to the m6 tbf

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

downloading tropico to create corbtopia

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

keep up keir

bojo is actively perusing an exit strategy

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

he's a good lad

bet phil wouldn't even wear ppe in that slaggin hospital

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Tbf to him he did kill hitler so...

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

theres been 3 or more unbearable posts in a row and i have been summoned

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Aphex- posted:

I used to post there years ago until they put the byob theme in, and I just couldn't get past the colours. Is there any way to turn it off? I might just not be byob enough.

use the phone app and post from the garden like a normal person

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

don't buy anything nestle

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

mehall posted:

Nestle are awful, but also don't begrudge the little pleasures people can find to make life bearable.

Not sure how I'd survive the grimdark future of Tory Britain if I wasn't allowed chocolate oranges.

i don't think choc oranges are nestle?

i also don't think chocolate pleasure is worth dead babies personally.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Angepain posted:

i keep getting worried about this couple across the street. i usually sit by the window so every now and then, even before the lockdown, i would hear the guy yelling at his kids or possibly also at his wife/girlfriend. I generally can't really make out what's being said but the force of the tone is always kind of suspicious. just now I heard him going off on one with the kids and the woman there, something about how she shouldn't have left the window open and now one of the kids has dropped something out of it, or something, with a whole lot of "loving"s thrown in. I don't know these people at all and I don't really know if there is anything I can do or could do or if i'll ever know if there's something going on or if i just don't like people raising their voice in any capacity. i imagine the lockdown isn't helping the situation any regardless

please phone 101 right now, see what a professional thinks of your concerns.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Aramoro posted:

I see racism is going to be Starmer's Antisemitism. Doesn't really matter what he does, it's going to plague him.

I doubt the press will give a hoot because Starmer conforms to their vested interests unlike his predecessor

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Kin posted:

Piers Morgan is a bit of a prick, but he seems to be eviscerating Matt Hancock just now.

Meanwhile the BBC are fellating an old man who walked around his house.

99 year old dude raises £8(?)million for NHS Trusts/charities in uplifting act

Goons angry

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

12 million now, and fair play to the old bloke.

Personally though I'm angry at the normalisation of the idea that the NHS should be funded by charity rather than taxation. See also - the completely fawning response to the Duke of Westminster giving 12.5 million to the NHS after dodging several billions in inheritance tax.

The latter is a valid and good reason to be angry, the former is not.

£12 million is amazing

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

this is arguably the greatest photo ever taken

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

HJB posted:

Ah, silver lining, that's alright then, ignore the first bit.

isn't there a funding shortage of about £8b or something already?

this is just more piss

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I get paid £87 this month. Been self employed since last April so no hope of pay cover from gov, unlikely to get UC because I've lived abroad recently

Basically, I'm miserable, poor and want UBI now please.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

justcola posted:

Which industry were you working in (and where?) - there's a few hardship funds going around right now depending on your sector.

Liverpool - https://liverpool.gov.uk/benefits/help-in-a-crisis/
Manchester - https://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/200008/benefits_and_support/6302/apply_for_a_cash_grant_if_you_are_in_financial_crisis
Various Creative sector stuff - https://www.creativescotland.com/resources/professional-resources/covid-19-directory
Music - https://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/HardshipFund

And the UKMT fund of course. I'll be getting my UC payment next week but have no idea what it's going to be as I'm still getting paid from contracts for last month. Hope you're alright - if you've been abroad are you entitled to any help from that government?

Thanks friend

I'm okay for now, I've got some savings that can take a pounding for a bit. Just moaning as all my plans and dreams evaporate.

Those links should be in the OP though.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Ben Soosneb posted:

Hey Thread, I could do with some advice for a friend, or more realistically put him in the right direction to get some advice.

Friend A rented a small house, and sublet the spare room to Friend B. B Wasn't on the lease or anything, was very much a month by month lodger arangement.

Sadly A died 2 weeks ago, corona virus. B had been working from home in his room, came down in the evening and found him dead on the sofa. B's been completely self isolating since.

Now the landlord has told him he needs to be out in 10 days. Obviously this isn't your everyday situation, and probably doesn't fit into the current "no evictions" category?

B's from Eastern Europe and doesn't have any family to stay with. I'll put him up if needs be but i'll very much be a crashing on my sofa in an already full flat.

Are there any charity / free advice lines he should ring? Can the Landlord evict him ? Obviously there's no arrangement with B and the Landlord, so I guess he's effectively sqatting at the moment. This is well out of my expertise but would like to at least point him in the right direction.

He is going to be homeless and needs to contact Shelter ASAP

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

If he isn't on the tenancy he has pretty much no ground to stand on afaik

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How long is the rent paid up for? Also it's not going to be pleasant I'm sure but he'll be able to stay longer than 10 days because you can't just turn up and turf someone out like that? But I dunno wtf. Shelter defo as a starting point. Negotiate with the landlord? Offer to pay the rent if they can?

Without any sort of agreement (tenancy/lodger) with the actual landlord then the landlord only has to give 'reasonable notice' which can be anything they like.

Basically landlord is a shithead.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

i want some caramel digestives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

baka kaba posted:

what a romantic moth :kiss: