Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

vvvv Virus concerns. But it was very hard to resist

You can deliver tummy rubs carefully and gently with appropriate PPE (your shoe).

I know this because my cat loves to invite tummy rubs and then proceeds to claw and bite whatever appendage is extended to deliver it. So having a show is a must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Oh, I've got the ATM card for it, it's just in a current account. The idea of taking it out a few hundred at a time did occur to me, but I wanted to cut down on the number of journeys to and from the ATM, for obvious reasons.

And yeah, I'm hoping they just do it no questions asked, but I just wanna have a backup in case I'm put on the spot. Maybe helping a friend pay rent?

If you bank with Barclays (boo hiss) they have the special multipurpose ATMs/counter replacement machines in branch that will happily dispense 1k at a go no questions asked.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate posted:

Alternative solution: Order something pricey online like a new computer.

Make a sizeable donation to the UKMT Solidarity Fund.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

fluppet posted:

Has it been announced they're going to staff the new hospitals?

They're raiding the staff from the North-East London hospitals - so places like Barts. It's more beds but the same number of staff.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Endjinneer posted:

So like if someone has a beautiful fish tank and instead of feeding all the fish together, they just give food flakes to the neon tetras. The plecostomii clean algae off the walls which they should get flakes for, but the tetras say that they don't deserve any because the walls aren't quite clean enough. Rather than let the plecs starve which would ruin everything, the tetras generously lend them the food instead.
Time goes by, the plecs get more in debt to the tetras, but nobody cares because fundamentally someone still puts in enough flakes for all the fish to eat and the walls are fairly clean.
Then the owner decides that the plecs are being feckless, so they throw away the bubbly treasure chest as punishment and oh by the way boys, flake ration's halved. You'll just have to eat each other.
Then the owner suddenly gets motor neurone disease and starts throwing in flakes by the fistful to try and repair the neglect. As immobility tightens its grip their final days are spent before the murky green tank, within which two listless fish eyeball each other across the filth strewn wastes of what was once magnificent.

I'm not really sure what point I'm trying to make, except that it's loving bananas.

What actually happens is that the Plec grows bigger and bigger and bigger and eventually fills the entire tank and goes "lol no" at the Neon Tetras.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tbf at least he holds his boss to the same standard.

Work until you're dead and then we'll recycle the body.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Algol Star posted:

I don't understand this at all, even if you arbitrarily classify CPR as safe at some point they're going to need to be intubated or have some breaths given if you're intending to keep them alive. Are they suggesting you start CPR without PPE and as soon as anaesthetics arrive pause for a minute to get changed? It doesn't even save any PPE, you're all going to need to wear full kit anyway at some point unless you just let them die.

Edit: this whole thing has never made sense anyway. Originally they said to just focus on chest compressions and ignore the breathing but since you're getting very little haemodynamic instability with covid the primary method of arrest is going to be hypoxia and if you're not going to give breaths (requires full PPE, technically NIV) then what is even the point of resuscitating them?

Has there been any data on the success rate of CPR for COVID patients compared to all-causes?

Edit: 1997 is the year after Tony Blair was elected.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Prince John posted:

If it's zoom you're using, allow me to commend the 'virtual background' feature. Cunningly blocks all your assorted detritus and replaces it with an image of your choosing.

I tried it in a cluttered office and it managed to only pick up the door and turn it into a portal to a starry void.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Invade Turkey for secondhand PPE. It's a dumb reason but I mean you might as well use those aircraft carriers and F-35s for something right?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

atm my greatest hope is that by the time climate change starts to gently caress everything even in the west I have made enough money to buy a croft in the Highlands and have learned enough to realistically achieve subsistence farming

I'll still die of ketoacidosis a year or two after the supply chains break down, but you work on the things you can change, you know

Learn how to extract the insulin from the pancreas of the Highlanders you hunt.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
nm

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/LittleMisScouse/status/1255505378013569026?s=19

It's weird how often the "left his wife as she was going through cancer for the woman significantly younger than him" doesn't get brought up.

Imagine if Corbyn did it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

As actual WW2 veterans run out, the projection will be concentrated on fewer and fewer targets, until the last remaining person to have fought in the war spontaneously catches fire from all the boomer energy.

Highlander rules. The last one (probably the Queen) will be wreathed in lightning and live on forever as God-Empress of the Imperium of Britane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

I ask because I would like to have one I can plug into my computer. I am fine with the smartphone I have, I would just prefer a computer one. Since my birthday is coming up and I can't think of many things I want, I thought I would ask.

I've been trying out some USB webcams for work and I'm not terribly impressed. Your phone webcam is very likely to have better output than any cheap USB cam and if you want to spend 100s on a good one you might as well get a cheap 2nd hand flagship phone from 3 years ago. I think a used Galaxy S7 is like £50ish on eBay?