Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

TACD posted:

For people asking why Zoom sucks so much, Ars has done a handy summary of their privacy blunders and “oops haha didn’t mean to” fixes so far. They’re sketchy as hell and there’s plenty of other options out there.

Edit: Actually I don’t think that article even mentions the secret webserver they previously installed on user’s computers.

Thanks for posting it.

But yeah it's more of something to start from, Zoom is shady in so incredibly many ways it's honestly a little impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The most useful blood types are O- and AB+ due to their wide compatibility. Blood's composed of components with opposing functions and either extreme of the scale is very useful.

But since O+ is compatible with any Rh+ and Rh+ is more common than Rh-, O+ is still very valuable.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
A much better way to keep a hold on time is to go to sleep when you're done being awake, wake when you do, wear clothes if you need them, and eat when you're hungry.

Remove all visible clocks, get rid of any mirrors you may have and let yourself get engrossed in tasks and entertainment alike. Ignore any routines, only do tasks as you find them necessary. Clean up when it's dirty, do laundry when there's enough in the basket.

If it matters it'll assert itself. The rest, eh.

You're but a fart on the wind, gone soon enough.

Never enforce a schedule just because you think that's what you should be doing - figure out what you want to do first, and the days will take shape.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Necrothatcher posted:

I mean, different strokes for different folks, but that seems like terrible advice.

username/post combo too.

The best way to help someone impose order upon their own life is demonstrating why it can be a necessity.

The pseudoprofound nonsense in the post is a great blueprint to ending up eating nothing but ice cream and beans and ending up playing Minecraft until your eyes hurt too much to continue on more dawns than a few. [Ask] me about researching eye drops for this very problem.

Eventually you get tired of living like that and have a much better understanding of what you need to do and why.

I've been cut off from most of society for over ten years (due to a severe injury leaving me with mobility issues) and the madness will take over even the most fastidious soul eventually.

You keep waiting for the day when things go back to "normal" and then it just never comes, you just slowly realize this is the new normal, and you keep giving yourself passes just to wait a couple more days... or weeks... or months... to wait it out and get back to your life. Just until I've dealt with the current problem at hand.

This is going to be a rough ride for a lot of people.

Also yeah the nick is a reference to how it feels to play videogames when you've got severe chronic pain. I don't enjoy the tasks I'm completing in the games, and the games are nothing but endless monotony, but focusing on a task I can complete helps me not focus on the pain.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hemale in pain posted:

The real sad thing is I spent about 10 years of my life living with no schedule and just sitting on my butt playing video games. This is remding me that I willingly lived like that and it's depressing as hell.

i destroyed my late teens/early 20s and this feels like a mini version of that. fuuuuck.

e: also i feel for you endlessmonotony, what the rest of us have to go through sounds pretty minor to what you're living with. sorry.

Eh, I've made my peace with it a long time ago.

The point is, I suppose, that this is going to take years to resolve and once we're on the other side massive segments of society have experienced interruptions that will cause a major shift in the way we do things both by necessity and just because we don't feel like bringing certain aspects back.

But the human brain craves normalcy and predictability and it's going to both be operating on the assumptions the world has now, like the ones about the necessity for everyone to work, as well as whatever weird bullshit you start to consider normal during the social isolation.

And holy gently caress do humans ever get weird about the bullshit we believe. As all of this poo poo around us every loving day proves. The world's ruled by lunatics and truth is but a mirage.

The sooner you accept something like this is going to gently caress you up, the sooner you can figure out which bits about it are the important ones to mitigate and develop working coping strategies for. Once we emerge from this, a lot of us are going to have some real rusty skills for at least some aspects of our lives and there's not going to be any getting back to the way things used to be.

The one person you can't trust is yourself because you, as a human, have weird, stupid ideas and need to keep an eye on that to keep that from spiraling out of control.

If you just assume the way things worked back when you could understand it is a valid way to approach the world after this mess, you'll end up a Guardian columnist.

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone thinks they destroyed their late teens/early 20s, whether it's by working too hard, partying too hard, staying in too hard.

I didn't!

However I started losing track of my life apart from the illness somewhere in the middle of the Bush Jr era and got myself able to start properly recovering with 2015 and I still have this urge to raise my hand and go "excuse me, what the gently caress did you all do with the world?".

I was real bitter about having lost my youth and health until I started talking to normal people enough to form a coherent picture of what their youths were like and at that point I realized I may not have had the chance to gently caress up my youth... but I most assuredly would have, and in a boring, miserable way.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Communist Thoughts posted:

lol yeah we have known this since january

going back and reading the 1st pages of the cpsam corona thread is a trip. several posters immediately and accurately call the pandemic and why. also basically all the info the UK et al is pretending to find out now is available back then.
I think Jan 26th rando posters start realising that ICUs are gonna be hammered and thats the main threat. I appreciate those guys going "buy masks now!" while everyone is calling them fatalists

The point the thread called it was when there were multiple reports of asymptomatic transmission.

Aka "oh good, this thing will get through airports in no time at all huh".

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

zentigeist posted:

This thread is getting N A S T Y

Getting?

This thread has been delusional and nasty ever since the previous election.

Labour is dead in the water because people who want a right-winger will just vote Tories no matter how much you triangulate, and the public has little to no reason to trust Labour to implement any leftist ideals effectively and they've been justified in that for twenty years. You don't advance left wing causes by voting, that's not how it's ever worked. You take action so people know and trust you before an election ever takes place, and Labour as a whole... hasn't.

Twisto's stance is rich given the way they have been acting all year though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

What are the people in this thread going to pray for though?

Him having a revelation that causing pointless suffering is bad?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Don't think about it. Just enjoy the Simpsons joke.

I find the thinking about it enlightening.

You're supposed to pray for the soul, not the flesh, and that man's soul is incredibly stained. If you were to be a genuine believer and pray for him, what, exactly, would you pray for?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Zalakwe posted:

Theology chat warning - when it says "body" in the bible it means body and spirit. They aren't seen as separate for humans in an orthodox reading although you wouldn't know it from the way even priests etc talk about them.

Flesh is something else, the word often represents sinful desire.

Anyway.

I do know all that.

It's why I chose the words I did.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GreyjoyBastard posted:

if anything i'm genuinely somewhat concerned we might be in a simulation where the operator is pushing the disaster buttons for giggles

<simcity voice>STOP BEING loving NAZIS YOU ASSHOLES</simcity voice>

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

sebzilla posted:

Yeah, fair enough. It's not even an upgrade that I need especially, just that my current laptop has 1) a screen smashed beyond use 2) a dodgy charger and hosed battery that won't hold a charge anyway 3) a missing Enter key

It's been through some stuff! But rather than throwing money at fixing it, seems more sensible to just get something newer now and avoid spending twice.

e: Maybe £300 is too tight, I dunno. £500?

i3 or i5, at least 8gb of RAM, at least 256gb m.2 or SATA SSD.

Those are the key criteria.

Something like the GeForce MX 250 graphics card will provide a very significant boost to performance... but those are generally rare even at £500.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The AMD Ryzen range is solid as hell too. Mainly what you need is a current gen CPU, regardless of what power you settle on. Modern CPUs are extremely quick off the mark compared to older gens, so even a relatively cheap one is going to handle day to day tasks well.

I still don't trust AMD to keep up with driver support.

But yes it's probably better read as "do not get an Intel processor that isn't i3/i5/i7 those things are gaaarbage and so are the AMD APU devices".

EDIT Also, current-ish gen (8000+) i3/i5/i7. Devices predating i5-4xxxx have severe problems in modern systems.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

I'm surprised that there haven't been a bunch of hipsters claiming the tube TVs somehow capture the visual effect better.

CRTs do have better representation of the visual effects, to the point where some designs from the pre-CRT era just don't work in modern times (most notably Duck Hunt).

CRTs don't have actual physical pixels which means that when you're amorphously reshaping the signal LCDs just can't deal with it and the best you can do is image filtering on a massively higher resolution and a fair chunk of computing power. Of course, the computing power requirement isn't especially large for modern computers so if you're emulating the original hardware everything is fine.

But no, LCDs have unavoidable latency, don't work quite right with retro consoles, and look different due to no curving or scanlines. As a result, retro game nerds have had CRTs... from the time CRTs were common.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

Duck Hunt (and all NES gun games) should work, it uses an incredibly basic shot detection mechanism where the screen goes black and the ducks go white for a few frames. Maybe the contrast on an LCD wouldn't be enough, but a plasma should definitely work.

Yeah no you're wrong on a lot of counts here and it's clear you haven't tried it and don't care.

The whole explanation is... a wall of text you can fairly easily look up online if you care though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

It's a timing issue that can be patched out, the NES (and Master System) light guns didn't care about scanlines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plyezWkvZx8

I don't know where you'd start with SNES/MD light guns, because they were tied to a scanning spot.

He's using both a patched ROM and third party hardware.

Duck Hunt will not work on LCDs because it's looking for a very specific pattern of light LCDs cannot recreate. If you patch the ROM to look for something else to define a hit, then it... will do just that, but at that point you've altered things enough you might as well emulate.

Also the screen goes black for one frame, then it lights up white for each of the ducks in turn for one frame. The distinction is important, because what the game's looking for is the switch from black to white in a time frame LCDs just can't do.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TVs and monitors certainly did:

Oscilloscopes and vector displays (like the Vectrex and the original Asteroids) didn't, admittedly.

I think what you mean is that early consoles and micros lacked the ability to actually handle images at common TV resolutions (a single monochrome PAL frame would be about 55k, in an era when entire games were expected to fit into considerably less space than that) so all sorts of clever workarounds existed to use the physical characteristics of the CRT itself to hide the fact that you're actually only capable of putting out a 300x200 image at 15fps, meaning they look like utter dogshit on modern panels. I think there was even a game that did colour interlacing - putting out the red, green and blue channels in consecutive frames and relying on the phsophors staying glowing long enough to give a full colour image - but I can't seem to find a cite for that now.

We're both technically incorrect.

There is a reason Trinitrons are the desired collector's items for this purpose though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Either way I'm calling for a truce here, this is MAD with boring nerd bullshit and we can only go into the stupid details of how you accurately recreate old game experiences with period-appropriate hardware for so long until this thread gets moved to the appropriate Games subforum.

The actual point was to demonstrate how you should never say the words "I'm surprised that there haven't been a bunch of hipsters claiming" because what's about to follow is something that is going to get proven wrong, and baka kaba's example is a lot better than mine.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm still a member for now but it does feel poo poo to be giving money to these assholes.

Also the report doesn't exactly make the Corbyn lot look good either, it seems like they were as unable/incompetent at governing the party as they were at threading the needle and campaigning in '19

None of this stuff is very surprising though, it's all poo poo I already assumed or knew.

I really don't buy the "just organise" / "just go mean/violent" retreat from electoralism fantasia either...

Name / avatar / post combo.

The left's got nothing but bad choices and an endless uphill struggle ahead of it.

And behind it.

Labour, however, is not a left-wing organization it's a broad tent full of rot and mold.

Got to organize outside and independent of it.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 13, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I've been using Ecosia for a while too, it's fine! And if you ever need more specific results you can add #g or #gi to your query and it'll redirect to Google or Google images instead

Google sucks these days anyway, especially if you're searching for anything specific or technical. Oh we didn't include that term, did you want us to search it? Click here if so! Oh here's a result with an antonym of one of your search terms, you wanted the opposite of what you typed right!! You can get around it to a point but it's a real pain and it used to be way better at this

I don't think there is a way to get around it.

Worse, I can search for an exact query and get no results. Then change all the words to the spelling Google expects and get the result I wanted.

I do not know what's going on with the fuzzy logic at Google but it's Bad.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So has the Brexit situation gone from "they will buy our cakes" to "there will be adequate food" to "if you find food for sale you're still legally allowed to buy it"?

What's next?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I've been playing Deus Ex all day.

The loving cartoon villainy by the UK government is startling even when I've just been playing a game about the more evil double Illuminati using 6G and nanomachines to create an artificial plague to establish the New World Order! At least they have goals they can't accomplish without their stupid schemes and actual sensible motivations!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
(First of all, I know that 6G in the game refers to a security clearance and the 6G networks are merely their version of an intranet running over the communications infrastructure.)

Bill Gates (except not) has an evil plan involving 6G and nanomachines and having the vaccine for a pandemic be means of total control over the population and the only ones fighting for the common people are secessionists who fetishize Texas and the 2nd amendment. Meanwhile, the last voice for truth on the internet is known only by his pseudonym and by his revelations on the true nature of the plots within plots in the world governments, especially UN, and within the US, FEMA.

Are global politics right now just bad Deus Ex cosplay? Did we jump at the first chance we got to live in a dystopian future?

Where are all the cool cyborgs? I mean, other than me, I guess.

I'm only one because it was the only way to treat my illness, though. I'd have been totally fine if life didn't devolve into a nightmare. I never asked for this.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

Deus ex is a conspiracy theory gumbo and it works because conspiracy theories are, in a way, grounded in reality. They're a response to people realising there's something wrong with the world but not having the right framework to process it through, so they throw in stuff they're more familiar with like biblical good/evil dichotomies and comically evil baddies from mass media.

They're broadly right about the themes of power, control, hostility to human welfare and life, things just getting worse, but they're wrong on the specifics of why it's happening and how (and who's doing it, to the extent it's at all directed by conscious human action)

I've seen it put as "conspiracy theories are understanding the world sucks but being unable to accept people being as petty and stupid as they are".

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Who would have guessed the bourgeoisie wouldn't like a left wing proposal?

It's not a leftist proposal, it's just a very, very stupid proposal.

As long as borders exist the entire idea is just pointless authoritarian wanking.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ThomasPaine posted:

Which even vaguely left-leaning person thinks Marx is bad lol

Marx was a very racist idiot whose ideas have repeatedly not even slightly worked out and that's understood by like 90% of left-wing who have read the drunken fool.

He identified a lot of the problem but man none of his supposed solutions are worth a solitary poo poo.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ThomasPaine posted:

This is a very bold take to be posting in the UK Marxism Thread

Anyone supporting Marx in everything doesn't belong in this thread. And repeating his shittier views is going to get you banned right quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

CORBYN LEAVES ONE UNION BUT WON'T LEAVE EU. AND JOINS A NEW UNION WHICH HE PROBABLY WISHES WAS SOVIET

Given that "soviet" means "worker's council" I'm sure there's a (non-lovely, please) sex worker joke here.