Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

How would you tell?

There'd be positive news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh someone asked about FF14 server in the last thread I am on Excalibur-NA with a shitload of other goons

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bobstar posted:

Edit: here is a badger kitty we saw on our walk today. He wanted tummy rubs but we did not oblige.

vvvv Virus concerns. But it was very hard to resist

What the gently caress :catstare:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Alternative solution: Order something pricey online like a new computer.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I must be the most naive chump in the world because I assumed the talk of China hiding their rona numbers was partly saying "China is mistreating its people" and partly saying "We can't be sure that China's methods would be effective here, because we can't even be sure they've been effective there."

Of course it was really about racism :sigh:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah growing potats is so easy even I could do it. Ganbare!

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/malaiseforever/status/1245776222342307843

Starmer is going to make Ed Miliband look like a loving rabid Tasmanian devil.

Can you loving imagine these same people if Jezza came out and said "Yeah we're not gonna bother doing much of owt actually, 'cause everything's out of our hands"?

I mean you can argue about his efficacy and whether there was more he could have tried wrt: being Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition but he certainly never bunked off even the most basic criticism of government because he didn't think it'd change policy.

Also brb time to CLAP FOR THE NHS!!!!!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

happyhippy posted:

gently caress, Sky News has some reporter driving across Italy and its got the same tone as The Road.

The Road is an uplifting story of a world where there are enough babies to eat.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Azza Bamboo posted:

With nightingale and the other facilities being erected, and retired health staff being brought back in, the Tories are well on their way to building 40 new hospitals and employing 50,000 more nurses.

:lol:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Spicy thread today :gowron:

crispix posted:

I got a Tesco delivery last night and I had a minichat with the driver. He said that while most people were being sensible and taking precautions, he still had quite a few idiots acting like they hadn't heard about any virus. Even with a hosed back I put a dust sheet down on the driveway for the stuff and kept my distance from him.

Also I was reminded of the goon whose mum got shouted at by her neighbour for getting a food delivery. I clocked the curtain twitching bastard across from he at her upstairs window the entire time I was shambling back and forth to bring stuff inside. Society feels incredibly claustrophobic atm. Getting groceries is now a huge event

tbf that's just any auld doll in Norn Iron, my Granny would always be nosing out of the window to see what the neighbours were up to

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

crispix posted:

She's 40 odd, she's just one of those insufferably nosy bastards

Oh in that case it's unacceptable, gotta be a pensioner before you're allowed to do that!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

goddamnedtwisto posted:

- The EHF waves themselves are (unintentionally) the problem, by either damaging the lungs or (brace yourself physicists) changing the oxygen in the air so it can't be absorbed by the lungs

I'm not even a physicist and my head exploded reeading this

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

crispix posted:

Have any of yous ever lived in a house with a ghost?!?!? :ghost: :spooky: :ohdear:

My uncle (Yes, that one) had a townhouse in Newtown, Wales while he was MP and I'd swear up and down the attic (converted into a big cool living space where I played a great deal of PSX/PS2 games) had summat spooky livin... uh, inhabiting it. One time it definitely cast an FF-style 'Confuse' spell on me because I was hallucinating mathematics problems that made no sense all over the place. Was chill during the day, at night I was less than welcome.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Had the displeasure of meeting Boris Johnson at a charity do once. He was surprisingly out of touch, and VERY unfunny.

Anyway yeah given that it's the PM and he's a rich tory at that, one can assume he can call on the best medical care possible. If it was just "tests" I have to think they'd do everything possible at home, which is eminently possible if it's drawing blood, taking a nasal swab, etc. as far as I know, but if he needs like a CT scan of his lungs or whatever then I think that's hospital gear only. Even so that much would be a short trip (And you'd imagine they'd prioritize him so he gets a slot ASAP, either because he's the PM or because you want the oval office out of your hospital immediately).

IANAD so this is all pure conjecture and speculation. I'll put it this way, I won't be surprised if tomorrow he comes home and is fine, but I also won't be surprised if the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland actually carks it from rona.

And shortly thereafter I would cark it from laughing too hard.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jollity Farm posted:

I don't expect it'd be "good" if Johnson died, since there's plenty of utter dipshits in the parliamentary Conservative party who will do their best to be just as rubbish as Johnson in tribute. But it would be interesting. Someone must start a "he faked his own death" rumour if he dies, that'll provide online amusement for years.

The year is 2035. Britain remains divided into utterly irreconcilable camps. On one side, those who think Boris Johnson died of rona, and that this was very funny. On the other, those who think he died of rona, and this was a terrible tragedy and the first lot are ghoulish monsters. On the third side, those who think he did die but was assassinated by Corbyintes/Corbyn himself/Carrie Symonds/Russia/etc.. On the fourth side, those who think he didn't die, his death was faked, and he's relaxing in the same island paradise as Jeffrey Epstein.

e; Forgot the crowd who think he died of 5G.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Lambert posted:

"Admitted to the hospital" usually doesn't mean you went in for a quick test.

Right, that was what I was trying to say - it's unlikely to be just a quick wee test or scan because he was admitted overnight.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tarnop posted:

That element was really missing from the film Contagion. Also, Jude Law's character should have been president.

When I first saw Contagion I thought "Yeah there are people like Jude Law's character but it's probably a bit overstated in this for dramatic effect, in reality in a situation that serious he wouldn't get a huge audience"

it's me, i'm the loving moron dupe

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

namesake posted:

I watched Contagion 3 weeks ago and my thoughts were 'Well I'm glad the CFR is 10x times larger than what's happening now' so lol if you took any other messages from it because otherwise it's a perfect representation of what's going on.

Christ can you imagine how hosed we'd be if rona had a CFR of 1 in 3, as standard? It'd probably end up over 50% once everything got overwhelmed.

Also I did like how Matt Damon's guy was immune and the authorities were like "That's cool but it's not actually all that useful to us, we've got your blood and stuff but this isn't really the angle through which a vaccine or cure is actually most likely to be fruitful, go home."

Also also what was the end result, like 2 and a half million dead in America, ten times that globally by the time the vaccine rolls out? That's the least believable part of all, looking at our current shitshow something with a 33% CFR would kill a billion people before that point lmao

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

"Take it on the chin, ye mighty, and despair."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Murderion posted:

It is the 21st Century. For more than ten hours Boris Johnson has sat immobile in an undisclosed London hospital. He is the Prime Minister of Great Britain by the will of the thumbs, and master of sixty million souls by the might of parliamentary majority. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from a repurposed Dyson hoover. He is the Covid Lord of the Empire for whom a thousand lungs are sacrificed every day, so that number may never truly die.

:vomarine:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Is that floppy haired posho oval office not dead yet

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

:hmbol:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

communism bitch posted:

They're squaddies what do you expect? That they can count?

any squaddie hired after 1998 can't shoot... all they know is skyranger, reload they gun, die, be bisexual, eat hot chip, and severely misjudge their chances to hit that sectoid

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

A big-brained grown-up arrives.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I can't believe I step away from being Online for fifteen loving minutes and it all kicks off

Also

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1247240275791134720

The utter lack of embellishment. The absence of any color commentary. The simple, stark way it's laid out.

Her heart is breaking and she's terrified :kheldragar:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

stev posted:

a) Do we get a day off work if he dies?
b) If yes, will they try to use Easter weekend to do us out of a day off?

A) No
B) Still yes

e;

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So if Bozo bites it, does that mean another election?

A Tory leadership election yes, with someone (Presumably Raab) being interim PM until that happens. Also a by-election in his constituency, one would hope not until the crisis is less acute so it can be held without spreading the heroic and blessed comrade Rona around. An actual general, no.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bardeh posted:

He's going to be put on a ventilator almost guaranteed. The way this thing progresses if you get it bad is the symptoms don't subside, and then you very rapidly go downhill. Given that he's worsened over the afternoon and he's already had symptoms for 10 days, he's following that progression. Like 50/50 the PM is gonna die of this, holy poo poo

Yeah there's no guarantees at this point, either to the good or the ill (Regardless of which way round you think those are, lol). Also he's obviously been having trouble since last night so was already receiving some care in hospital, that it hasn't taken and he's instead been upgraded to the ICU doesn't bode well for him. His age isn't quite at the Big Risk levels yet but his general health works heavily against him because he's a tubby fucker with a drinking problem and probably drug habits atop that.

He might pull through but him not (yet) being on a ventilator doesn't seem at this stage to indicate anything much. Especially as for all we know he is on one and we've just not heard yet, or they're prepping one for him as we type our Reckons.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bardeh posted:

that IDS quote basically confirms that Boris is pretty much already fighting for his life, doesn't it? none of this 'moved as a precaution' bullshit

Very much so. That's not the talk of someone who has been told "The PM's in intensive care but it's mostly as a precaution in case his health fails further, at the moment we have every reason to be optimistic." That's the talk of someone who just got a briefing saying something like "The PM is literally unable to breathe unaided and his chances of pulling through are low and declining by the hour."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Imagining the Cabinet all rushing to the hospital to be around the Great Man and they start hashing out succession only for him to wake up briefly, make Beria Patel poo poo herself because she was poo poo-talking him, and then actually die.

What I'm saying is his death will be as joyful and as chaotic as the Death of Stalin.

Corbyn strides in, swinging his dick, shrugs off his badass longcoat, and goes "I took Islington North, I think I can take a flesh lump in a business suit"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Josef bugman posted:

If Boris dies you are going to suddenly see an awful lot of Tories suddenly start taking this a lot more seriously. But until that happens I think nothing will occur.

I'm not even sure about that, it'd be extremely easy for them to go "Well of course Boris got it and died he shook hands with a commoner and was up to his eyeballs on booze and coke all day" and think they're still immune

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

zentigeist posted:

One person clapped on my street, utter embarrassment.

If it was only the one it could have been pure coincidence

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Out of curiosity, would the people running the UKMT hardship fund consider something like seb's situation an appropriate thing to ask for help with?

Idk what the specifics of their situation are so I'm not saying it is necessary/should be done, I am just wondering. If so though, might be worth asking for a bit of help if you want to get something more powerful?

Idk just a thought.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

CGI Stardust posted:

‘It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own’, said Cicero. This is so true of the woke bourgeoise who bang on endlessly about ‘Karens’. You know Karens: they’re the busybody, always-complaining, helmet-haired women who stalk the nightmares of sophisticated middle-class people, especially the right-on millennial middle classes. These people are constantly making memes of Karens, showing culturally and sartorially inferior women asking for the manager and generally making a fuss about everything. Which is hilariously ironic given that ‘Karen’-like behaviour – snitching to management, trying to get people sacked, moaning endlessly about every inconvenience – is the stock-in-trade of woke millennials. These Karen-bashers are the biggest Karens of all.

Furthermore I believe Karethage must be destroyed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

Ultimately for all the platitudes about how people didn't realise what was really essential, I don't think it's going to change. Because people don't want to grapple with actually understanding what essential work means. They don't want to think the world is maintained by people who work for basic subsistence, they certainly don't want to deal with any of the consequences of empowering or even rewarding those people appropriately.

So you'll get claps. And absolutely nothing else. And the clapping will serve exactly the same function as those articles do. As something for people who sit atop the labour of others, to do to make themselves feel good. It is performative appreciation as a vehicle for making the appreciator feel better about themselves, and to diffuse any responsibility they might feel to do anything meaningful. Two minutes on a couple of thursdays to clap and demonstrate your wokeness. That's what the foundation of society is worth.

Even the stuff that is pointing out "Uh hey some people we're treating like garbo are actually really important" are serving to divert the ire from where it should be. Freedland's article is a prime example: He's banging on about how we don't "need" sports and movie stars. Well, yeah, not many people are going to say they're really in need of all that money and stuff, but hardly anyone in the entertainment world at large is commanding that kind of money, relatively speaking. Sure, you've got a tiny cadre of people like Neymar or Messi or Tom Cruise or RDJ - but they're a very small group in comparison to the huge numbers of people in the lower leagues, or the people who can't pick and choose their acting roles, and so on.

Which isn't to say something oughtn't to be done about massive pay for that elite cadre but talking about them in this context is to redirect people's discontent away from the people who command true wealth and power - the government, the corporations, and the billionaires, people who can lose Messi's annual pay packet and not even be aware of it, people like Mike Bloomberg who can piss away orders of magnitude more money than the average celeb will ever see on a vanity Presidential bid and not have it impact his wealth because it's such a pissant sum next to his investments and interest. Even if he spent that amount every year for the rest of his life, and had no further income whatsoever, he'd run out of life decades before he ran out of money.

(Jeff Bezos has well over twice as much money as Bloomberg does lmao)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

for gently caress sake it's not like it would materially improve the world by any significant amount it'd just be funny and thoroughly deserved if he died but this world can't give us even so tiny and measly a piece of good things happening :negative:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

Tensioning wires? Why does a telly need a tensioning wire?

To provide tension? :v:

Guavanaut posted:

In any colour display system you need a way to keep the three beams (red green and blue) only hitting the right phosphor dot, otherwise you just get a big mess.

The old fashioned way was a shadow mask, literally a big sheet of metal with a ton of holes drilled in it. They blocked most of the electrons too, so they got hot and dimmed the picture a fair bit, and they were hard to machine for a fine dot pitch without ridiculous expense.

The new hip way was an aperture grill, which is a bunch of fine vertical wires under tension. But they could (like any wire under tension like a piano) end up vibrating due to sounds and mess up the picture. So the solution was a couple of damping wires across them horizontally. But these also block some of the electrons, so on some monitor technologies you'll see them as two fine horizontal lines across the screen.

Huh, so that's why my granny's old telly had those lines!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Comrade Fakename posted:

The Sun front page is insane, as in I genuinely think the people responsible for it are severely mentally ill:

Like, I think it’s undeniable that there is part of that that is the paper (and by extension what the public assumed the public believe) is literally calling Johnson “babe”. And the idea that anyone in the whole country is in any way invested in these two people’s relationship - including the couple themselves- is fundamentally bizarre. Who is this even for? Plenty of idiots like Boris, but this is acting like he’s Princess Diana or something.

I think my favourite part here is having this hagiography of a front page also prominently feature the death toll which Saint Boris of Pfeffel is in large part personally culpable for.

E; it's going to be a hot minute before only 121 people die from covid in this country in one day again

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 11, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

All of this is enraging, but by far the worst slur that has been thrown at us according to this is calling Corbyn and his supporters "trots".

Absolutely loving disgraceful.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Fumble posted:

Im all for AD2000 based burns.

I'm so glad I'm not the only know who knows the TRUE origin of "simp"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

When I was wee my granny would take me on walks and sometimes we'd nip into the fields at dusk and dig up some Comber spuds or carrots or the like and steal away with our criminally acquired food.

That's my food harvesting story.

E; We didn't piss on the crop.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Vitamin P posted:

Question; why is the government announcing that it's another 3 weeks of lockdown while also announcing the furlough support will be going on for at least 3 months? Is there some public good to tricking some people into thinking 'it might only be another few weeks' while the Savvy Reader understands it'll be much longer?

I think the lifting of the lockdown is intended/expected to be a progressive thing rather than ending all quarantine efforts all at once? So the additional three weeks is just to the beginning of that, but we can't expect everyone to be back to normal for much longer.