Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

blunt posted:

If Bojo dies does parliament have to reconvene to vote confidence in a new PM?

No the PM is just the leader of the party of Government, it's the Tories that are in power not Bojo so it's no good until every single one of them is dead in the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Isn't patent law all about ensuring that things people "create" become used by a few uber rich companies who buy out anything that might change things and build it into something they want to see?

Not in principal. When I did our patent application with my company it was to give us the opportunity to get our product out there without a larger much more organised company being able to sweep and do the same thing with a higher marketing budget. In practice it lets large companies buy ideas.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 6, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Why is it that when Capitalist ideas don't work in practice it is a failure of that particular subset, but when Communist ideas don't work in practice it is because it never will?

As part of a capitalist ideal it's isn't not working? You invent something and someone pays you for it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Doesn't work how it is "supposed to" then, under the way capitalism is "supposed" to work.

A principal of capitalism is that everything has a price, does it mean some people are working out patents with out the ability to produce them just to sell them? Sure. But most people use patent protection to make the thing they patent.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The problem with patents is that the barrier to entry is high for the ordinary person and the timespan is short.

The problem with copyright is the complete opposite.

It's not too bad really, myself and my colleague filled and got a patent on something, the patent office really help you through the process. It's more complex because they are attempting to stop you patenting things that everyone already knows and does, unlike copyright where is an actual concrete thing, patent is an idea about how to do a thing so it's naturally more complex. Any reasonably intelligent people could file a valid patent.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Sure, but there's the whole filing cost and process, whereas copyright is an automatically occurring thing. I get why it is, there's no library or numbered list of copyrights, it's just weird that copyright is so extensive in timeframe whereas patent is so limited. Like it'd make more sense if you owned the copyright for life but people were allowed to remix or use it in part in other things without paying royalties after say 25 years, or if copyright was automatic but non-transferable, or if you could transfer it, but you had to register it.

It's generally because patents have to be unique. You can file for £60 if you do the prior art searches yourself or you just feel confident about doing it. The reason patents are generally short is because your idea is supposed to be useful to society so it's long enough for you to make money out of it before everyone gets a crack at it. Patent is 20 years, maybe copyright should be as well, or just life of the creator? I'm not sure.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

But why? Surely simply curing the sick is good and the company itself shouldn't be generating profit?

I am of course speaking of how things should be as opposed to how they are.

I'm still confused, you're argument seems to be that patents don't work for capitalism, but they really really do, like all the time they feed into the capitalist system.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

No, it's neoliberal to abandon the lovely succdem party is a dumb take.

lol RIP the Labour left, banished to obscurity again.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

brian posted:

Fixing the labour party from the inside hasn't worked in the last 60 years and it's not suddenly going to change, but dissuading people from leaving does work and has worked consistently at preventing an alternative

Well you're sure as poo poo not going to fix it from the outside or manage to organise anything to replace it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Economically targeted bombing in the Docklands did force the British to the negotiating table and led to the Belfast Agreement, but yeah I don't think it was very popular with the public.

What you need is something indirect enough that the press can't spin it as violent extremism, but is sufficient to shift the public discourse.

Unfortunately what you tend to get is trot groups and talking shops, but some of those groups linked upthread seem interesting.

Action like this and less violent action works for single issues. It does now work well for promoting things like a political agenda. Just see how well RISE did in the supposedly more left wing Scotland, i'm pretty sure not even all their family members voted for them.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jakabite posted:

I just quit. Despite Owly’s protestations otherwise, electoral politics is in my opinion an absolute dead end. Look at basically every industrialised nation. It’s a choice between a knee capped centre left or some turbocapitalist/fash, with the latter always winning. Capitalism has reached a stage of entrenched power within its own framework that means a vaguer left wing government will never be allowed to be elected again. Why would it? Supporting Labour is throwing good money after bad. Sure, Starmer might get in but only if he promises to be on his best behaviour and doesn’t deviate or do anything too left wing.

We have global warming right round the corner. It’s going to cause some form of societal collapse or a slip into fascism. Labour doesn’t figure in either of these scenarios. The only hope is for people o actually do politics outside of electoralism and as long as normal people see the Labour Party as the main way to do that we’re hosed. They’re literally pointless at this point.

If Electoral politics is a dead end then so is every other route.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jakabite posted:

Huge lol. Yes, because it’s that great shining beacon of electoralism that’s been delivering us good left wing governance for the last 200 years. Grow up, politics is more than a loving voting booth.

By all mean crack on with what ever it is you want to do but if you want to change actual laws that govern the country you need to engage with electoral politics. Because non-electoral politics has been delivering real left policies just fine has it?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Pressure groups seem to do a good job influencing laws from outside, as in the good work done by LGBT and BAME groups over decades (and the less good work done by corporations, TERFs, and angry letter writing churches).

That does take a long sustained push over years though, and a lot of work building the group up. That's still engaging with politics but more in terms of influencing the people already at the top, rather than changing the people at the top, so it takes longer.

Single issue groups do a good job of changing the public mind about things which feeds into electoral politics as you say. It's the calculus the SNP are doing just now, to support TERFS or Trans Rights, not because of some objective good but because someone more or less people might vote for them. We got gay marriage because David Cameron thought it was good for his polling. No matter what you have to engage with the democratic machine because that's the part that actually does things.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jakabite posted:

But it will never, ever, ever, ever end the capitalist system. And that is essential for human survival in any decent way. It's as simple as that.

What will?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rustybear posted:

the decline in the rate of profit will eventually make 'for profit' economic production impossible.

People still need bread and shelter however; the resulting conflict gives rise to a new political compact of some form. Hasn't happened yet obviously but the decline in the rate of profit is an observable effect.

That engine still has a lot of life in it yet, even then I don't see us moving away from a strictly democratic system, though perhaps a proportionally elected one.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

Anyway, the important question I'd like to offer Scottish voters is this- does Scottish independence count as an extra-electoral political movement? Answers on a postcard.

I'd say no, the Scottish Independence movement specifically engaged with electoral politics to achieve their aims.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I see racism is going to be Starmer's Antisemitism. Doesn't really matter what he does, it's going to plague him.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

I doubt the press will give a hoot because Starmer conforms to their vested interests unlike his predecessor

Potentially they didn't give a poo poo about the Tories Islamaphobia for the brief moment it was a thing. Kinda depends if the rest of the Labour party manage to let it go.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I think the difference is that he's literally surrounding himself with big racists who he won't criticise despite blatant proof of their big racism.

Like the truth actually matters?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The main problem is that there are plenty of valid criticisms of the way identity politics is practiced, from it being used to divide and conquer by the right (see: TERFs being funded by anti-LGBT American evangelical groups) and also as a figleaf by the liberal class (Raytheon-sponsored Pride floats, "You're a sexist if you support Bernie over Hillary", etc) - but the anti-idpol left seem content to completely cede the ground to those forces and (in extreme circumstances) to Well Actually oppressed groups.

It might just be rose-tinted glasses but it seems like 60s/70s radicals were much better at allying themselves with identity-based causes, but it does seem like there's a lot of people supposedly on the left who get really loving angry at the idea that Black Lives Matter aren't pushing for the JDPON.

This is just my opinion but to me it seems there's a fundamental problem with anti-idpol in general and it's that people have identities. It's fine for me, middle class straight white male to be all anti-idpol, I have literally no opposition to anything I want to do. The worst I have to put up with is someone calling em a jock. But for anyone who is oppressed by society, i.e anyone who isn't a middle class straight white male, those identity issues are going to be a LOT more of a pressing concern than any high minded ideals about how it wont matter once the revolution comes.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Hey don't stop or be discouraged or anything like that, no story is actually unique.

It can go into the recent 'Can't do things' genre, can't see, can't speak, can't move etc.

Make it so everyone is deaf, don't think that's been done yet.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

So a friend of mine and fellow Labour member has sent me a link about a live meeting for something called The 'Workers Party UK' called the death of Project Corbyn, hosted by George Galloway. What's a tactful way to tell her that it's best worth avoiding?

Aside from being a different party, of course.

Why wold you want to avoid that? Sounds incredible.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Not sure what's supposed to happen with all the high risk folk shielding if everyone else returns to work. Is there a plan for them other than "stay inside until there's a vaccine, sorry"?

Some the people I know who are high risk have jobs where they interact with the public so there's surely no way they can go back if it's circulating through everyone.

woah woah woah are you asking about an exit plan? Is that you Kier?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Back to baking, does anyone know a good place for ordering flour? Looks like they charge £30 for delivery on Amazon

We order our flour from Gilchesters https://gilchesters.com/ but they are sold out right now. I think Mungoswells has stock though https://www.mungoswells.co.uk/

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't know if I want to order foodstuff from someone called Mungo even if they're not swelling.

You looking forward to marching season? Disparaging the Catholic Patron Saint of Glasgow there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

justcola posted:

At least most people would be indoors.

Death stats - the government is saying the equivalent of everyone in Truro has died, when its more like all of Salisbury.

Or 2 and a half football pitches with the dead stood up, compared to 6.

Or 216 buses compared to 615

Or 3400 cars full compared to 14000

How many Olympic sized swimming pools?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

as if brits regret the empire

They Regret it didn't last longer. There were still like 20-30 countries we hadn't invaded.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Just a blanket no Nazis is good. Your Goth Nazis are likely just being edgy but who cares, you lose nothing of value banning Nazis.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So, hypothetically, if someone's work had sent them home to work from home, but reduced their salary by 20%. Is there anyway to check if their employer has applied for the Work Retention Scheme to pay 80% of their salary?

I'm not saying my brother in laws employer is scum, but i'm suspicious.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

peanut- posted:

Sorry I misread the sentence as just "sent them home" rather than "sent them home to work". Yes that's definitely not allowed!

Indeed, so I was curious if there was a way to check if your employer had claimed for you or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes it's a pain. My tinfoil hat theory is that by the time you reach your 40s say you have done a handful of temporary jobs squashed in between uni vacations or between 'proper jobs' that you will trip up, forget to mention one, and then they have an excuse to fire you at any time for lying. I mean I completely forgot until a couple of weeks ago that I took 3 weeks vacation once when I had some outstanding, and went temping as a typist in a surveyor's office instead of holidaying on a beach somewhere.
Also, I think it is supposed to show some kind of 'diligence' and 'conformity' to societal norms regarding life paths.

So the CEO my work who has final say on all technical hires is really big on this, not to try and trip you up later but to see if you're actually reliable. If you have lots of jobs with short stays or random gaps in your employment history then he wants to know why. We had a great candidate in who had a 3 month gap because he broke up with his girlfriend, quit his job and when backpacking*. It can be unfair but that's why is asks.

*He did end up getting the job because he said it was unlikely he'd do it again.