Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

LearninCurve (or anyone!)

When you said 'text based version' of shopping websites for delivery slots, what did you mean?
A friend has been trying for ages to get a slot on Tesco to no avail and so I told him what you said and now he wants to know what that means ... erm....
I'm guessing it's to do with accessibility?

I dunno about Tesco, but on the Morrissons one when you check out and go to pick a delivery slot, it's a calendar view but with a little "Text-only version" or whatever link at the bottom. And that gives you all the slots in a list, it's easier to read and maybe it updates before the calendar view for some reason??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's almost like preventative measures were only put into place very recently, and the true number of cases was being underreported due to lack of testing, or something

I dunno I'm not a government minister or one of their advisors though. Or a journalist!!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Vitamin P posted:

It's so loving wierd that the Daily Mail is presenting this as basically HIV where like The Test is some unending status when rona obviously is a very different thing practically speaking.

media Crusades are always a big thing for them, it's a way for them to keep relevant. There just needs to be OUTRAGE and FURY and claims that people are acting because some tabloid told them to, it's never been about accuracy (that kinda limits your options)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ it's still gonna be high because we've been underreporting cases by not testing. Either that or our mortality rate is like 7% instead of 1

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wonder what brought this on? Google to stop supporting climate change denial companies claiming CV made them rethink.

https://agreenergoogle.com/

this virus (which isn't just something that affects the global south this time) is kinda like a dry run for things like climate change. like it seems a lot of people are suddenly discovering the realities of the way society is organised, how precarious everything is when conditions change, and there's a developing class consciousness where a lot more people are looking at billionaires and their companies and asking why they get to be safe and taken care of, why've they got everything? Why do people have to beg and shame the elon musks for a few crumbs when the world is falling over?

so yeah there's gonna be a lot of performative "we're all in this together, you guys" and I reckon there'll be a bunch of PR exercises to try and paint capitalists as actually the good guys, actually, who are in a position of responsibility and who are going to make sure we're all ok, you guys

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's a long loving way from ideal (and the one area where I sort of agree with the nudge unit people - the observance of each successive lockdown is going to get worse and worse)

They'd have a chance if they'd taken charge of the situation like South Korea - immediate response, diverting resources into equipment and testing, explaining to people exactly what needed to happen and why, providing support to help people isolate etc

they went for bumbling and inept instead so now nobody has any reason to trust them, and trying to regulate control measures is just gonna look like more indecision and confusion. Like they didn't just gently caress up the actual response, they're also eroding the state's authority and power to actually get everyone to listen and pull together

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ms Adequate posted:

Also brb time to CLAP FOR THE NHS!!!!!

ohhh someone's letting off fireworks for the nhs, thought it was time for the street wars

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

JFK and Nixon on those posters on the left? Presidents of the USA maybe

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

MAYE IT'S BOTH all right fine

them look like Eels on the ground though

also the Police in front of the cars?

also also Great White is a band? next to the shop

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 2, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

countdown to Jose getting bored enough to see exactly how far that is

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Deketh posted:

No idea. I'm assuming the old lady is stressed to gently caress and having a terrible day, maybe just angry that someone got a delivery slot while she's been struggling... I'm hoping she's not gonna be spreading poo poo around town or on facebook or whatever

If she's shouting at people she might be spreading something around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2azcn7MqOU&t=149s

they're not sure how much this matters yet, but it would explain things like people getting infected from being on a bus 30 mins after a contagious person. Masks are looking more and more like a pro move if you're out

e- ok can't embed it but all the other versions are really low quality, and this is about being able to see fine detail :/

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That video's more about showing how clouds of microdroplets end up basically suspended in the air, in place, unless you have sufficient airflow to move them. And just talking loudly can produce them, so if it's possible for the virus to cling to those, that's another potential infection vector. Either way, avoiding going out and being in places without good ventilation is probably a good shout

there's a video here about producing masks that's been passed around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY-29VBkGmw

it's basically paper towels, tissue paper, and some stuff to hold it together and in place. The face shield is there to avoid people coughing in your face, but just the mask is better than nothing so long as you replace it regularly, or if someone coughs on it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I did not see that at all! In fact, I still don't see it! Can you give me a clue as to where you found them? (For future reference!)

I downloaded it so I can watch on my tv via HDMI. I haven't found a way to watch vimeo on my tv directly (I can watch youtube on it).

Ed: I've been remarkably dim - don't mind me. Found them now.

Ed2: And now I've just found a Vimeo app for my Roku (but can't view subtitles on it). I blame something or other for being a thickwad today.

I dunno what 1 used to grab them, but for future reference this site worked ok!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Stardrops has this "white vinegar" cleaner but it has all these warnings like DO NOT LET THIS TOUCH YOUR SKIN so I'm not really sure vinegar is the magic ingredient in that one

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

Concentrated acetic acid will burn your skin, and technical grade probably still has methanol in, so it's good advice.

well whaddya know
https://www.dpi.uk.net/product_info.php?id=224

the bottle just lists "contains among other ingredients: parfum" which really sounds like they're trying to hide what's in it. So it pretty much is just vinegar in a spray bottle, that's cool

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Bardeh posted:

Fairly sure this isn't true and this dude has just gone out for bread and milk while still potentially infectious ffs

It's not, but when you've got the Health Secretary noping out of quarantine after 6 days because he thinks he feels better, no wonder

the official 7 days advice doesn't seem to be based on anything anyway, far as I'm aware it can be 14 days before the antibodies kick in and the virus still sticks around for potentially several weeks. but hey if you want to slow roll everyone catching it while minimising economic disruption from having people stay home, that's one way to do it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

uspol but rip america

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1246557500234661900

I'll say one thing for boris johnson, at least he isn't going on live tv to tell people to neck unproven and potentially dangerous medication (which lupus sufferers need and are running out of) because, y'know, why not

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

Your post misses the best part that he sacked the peace corps who all work in malaria areas and take it as standard who all his lost their access to it because he killed their healthcare and told everyone else to take it

yeah I stopped there because really there's so much. they're all ordered home too so it's like, who wants malaria??

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

XMNN posted:

I'm just highly sceptical of anything that these people are so pleased by

I would be very happy to be wrong though

should probably go to bed before I end up quitting tonight lol

It's obviously disappointing, but I think people were prepared for it - the important thing is Starmer pushed himself as a unifier, he made a lot of promises, and he needs to be held to them. The bad people are out to push a counternarrative that "we won" and "the leftist experiment is over"

and in time it might be true, maybe that's what Starmer as leader really means - but right now they're trying to assert dominance and say they're in charge now, so expect a lot of performative celebrating and don't let them have it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Vitamin P posted:

Awsome lefty manifesto + respecting the referendum = historically unprecedented swing to the good

bing + bong = simples

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

yeah I saw stories about oxygen running out next week in some places. Is that something we could step up production of or what?

stay safe yourself winegums, and all the other medgoons in here. and everyone else, stay out of hospital!!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ahhh right, I thought maybe it was delivered in tankers or something, so you could just do that more. If it's all on-site and the only delivery setup is cylinders then yeah, that's not great

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

massive spider posted:

My cat got spooked during the stupid clap on Thursday and ran out and I cant find him so I'm especially salty about it.

:ohdear: I hope he's back soon, does he usually disappear for a while? secret second home maybe?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hey did anybody mention the BBC ran a fake Grand National with computer generated horses and took the whole thing deadly seriously with classical music and everything

all past jockeys and experts weighing in on which of the famous racehorses from history was definitely gonna win the prerendered race. none of the riders started doing dances on the back of the horse or anything! surreal

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

I find it helps if you don't view it as an identity, labour membership is a tool, you can use it without it defining who you are. Your cause is far bigger and far older than the party you use.

yeah, I linked this before (it's actually about activism ;)) but I like this take on things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6o4qIMUaY&t=1188s

just jumped into the middle of it but you get the point!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

https://mobile.twitter.com/jewdas/status/1247522139080511491

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

like I'm less bothered about his nose than the fact it's the same pose as that A W Mann picture all the racists love posting, with red liquid dripping from his hands

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

sensing another ratty av update here

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Communist Thoughts posted:

sometimes i dont really get the lying.. i suppose i do... its just reflexively british to lie to your underlings and the public.
but it seems particularly stupid to lie to NHS staff who are in the thick of things

thank you for your service jabby

lying to the NHS workers makes it official

now there's no PPE shortage because they don't need it anyway

*sends 'unneeded' PPE stocks elsewhere*

wow PPE availability is increasing! thank u government
-some blue tick journalist

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

free pullout: Isolation Motivation BS

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Are house parties and buying a chocolate orange even illegal yet? As in, there's legislation prohibiting these activities

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

Who cares about the exit? I'm not really clamouring to know when they're going to go back to doing nothing, maybe what they're going to do to help people while we all need to be at home is more pressing?

that's what he's talking about really - what's the plan? assuming we're not going to be on full lockdown for the next year or two, how are we moving forward? what's the situation with testing, what's our strategy for deploying it and what's the supply chain for those tests? if we're going to keep isolating, how long are we talking and what's the plan for making that workable for everyone? if we're going to relax restrictions, what measures are going to be in place to make sure we're safe, and accurately monitoring the situation, and what are we going to do if infections start to rise again?

China had a plan that worked effectively, South Korea had a different plan that worked effectively. We had no plan and that's why we're in this situation, so "what is the plan" is a good question to be asking because there's still no sign that we have one

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

tbf this is basically the trump playbook

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ the sims killer strikes again!

Barry Foster posted:

I loving knew we'd gently caress this up too

Why can't we do anything right? Why do we have to be either 'lol nothing matters laissez-faire herd immunity' or loving stasi-calling police state?

it's both!
we get the herd immunity from the government being all "do whatever it's coo" for weeks before half-arsing a lockdown
and we get the narcs because the government's encouraging everyone to blame each other for the results

I mean hell it worked for brexit, why not now

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 10, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

what if the general walks in wearing a tiny hat you can't see until it's too late

time works the same way

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 10, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

jaete posted:

Yeah we're getting the worst of both worlds here. The lovely non-lockdown is not strict enough to actually work or do anything, but it is just strict enough to make everyone unemployed and miserable

Pretty much the shittiest possible response, by this unbelievably poo poo government

or the best, if you assume they want to do the herd immunity thing, like they openly did before they realised it would be unpopular

this way they get it over with quicker without having to wait for a vaccine, and everyone's pointing fingers at everyone else, making it an individual problem instead of a systemic one

I bet channel 5's furiously producing shows about the poors not staying indoors right now!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Isomermaid posted:

I'm finding balancing that hard. Cos yeah it's hard not to think of the outside like a river with silt in it right now and everyone moving through that just churns it up and puts people at risk.

But at the same time small places are making GBS threads themselves about losing their businesses. The little brewery started doing that delivery to the neighbourhood and it's just the two guys. We ordered a box of beers from them and there was a little note, saying "thanks for ordering this it helps keep us going", same with the little pizza place, they're not a chain and it's like if noone orders their stuff right now they're out of a job.

I honestly don't know whats best to do

here's the guidelines
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...can-and-cant-do

quote:

Stay at home
Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)

You should only leave the house for very limited purposes:

shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible

so you are allowed to go out for food, and ordering a pizza is getting a hot meal. Deliveries are gonna happen, and they're important because not everyone will have access to decent food right now, for many reasons. So I wouldn't worry about getting a delivery, so long as you're careful about social distancing and cleanliness. As for going out for food, if you're as quick as possible and again with the social distancing/hygiene, that seems fine - delivery seems like it's better though, since it minimises the number of people going to a place

Honestly I think we need two things

- absolute clear guidelines on what is and isn't ok, so people aren't trapped inside because they're worried they're doing the wrong thing. This isn't helped by the police and local vigilantes giving people poo poo for doing stuff that's within the guidelines, or even encouraged. Hell, how about the police spend their time tackling that harrassment instead? Let people be as comfortable as possible, with the minimum disruption to their lives, and they're more likely to go along with it

- an actual system put into place to help people adapt and manage - financial support (including for small businesses), organised deliveries, providing food and medicine. Get everyone into safe shelter. Focus on protecting vulnerable people. Organise some resources to help people stay at home, entertainment or advice on cooking, or things for parents to do with kids. Subsidise everyone's broadband and create some national "stay at home" online project that everyone can join in - there are people doing similar stuff on social media, but the BBC could organise a national resource that reflects what people are going through, and makes them feel unity and connection and like we're all part of an effort and we'll get through it, just to help with people's mental wellbeing

ok three things

- the government has to at least act like it has things under control, show that there's a plan, and keep everyone up to date with progress on e.g. when the testing is going to start. If people have confidence that smart and serious people are in charge, they're more likely to do what they're told - there's an element of trust. And that comes from things like specific rules and guidelines too

:words:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

Interestingly makes no mention of live doves there, so it was more likely a focal feature than a theatrical thing, and centuries of story telling have added that.

the dove from above is pretty theatrical

endlessmonotony posted:

But no, LCDs have unavoidable latency, don't work quite right with retro consoles, and look different due to no curving or scanlines. As a result, retro game nerds have had CRTs... from the time CRTs were common.

I've seen people start claiming that decent CRTs are better for modern games too, that things like Control look really good at low res (where you can really crank up the effects) because it smooths and blends between the pixels and gives a more natural image, and the responsiveness is meant to feel a lot better as well

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

this guy calling out the government should be leader of the opposition imo

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1248640423221919750?s=20

backbench traitor jeremy corbyn is at it again!!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

hey cmon they also have the woman who recently shared an anti-5G petition on Twitter too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ohhh so all the sneering at millennials was actually because they weren't strong and rational enough to demand the purge of the older generations

now I get it