Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Aw man.
Have a soft spot for Little and Large as its what I remember sitting down to watch with my parents when I was wee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
It was most likely the TV crew going 'hey lads lets see you do some unloading for the punters to have a gawk at' and just started filming them not giving enough time to organize where poo poo was to be moved to.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
gently caress, Sky News has some reporter driving across Italy and its got the same tone as The Road.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Catherine Calderwood getting a bollocking by the press atm on Sky News

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The soft glows of the burnt out cars being used as baricades.
The gentle pitter patter of glass bottles tinkling against RUC land rovers.
That 'after water cannon' clean smell.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Im 50/50.
Only because you won't be able to piss on his grave for 2 weeks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.
I wish to complain about this PM what I purchased not half a year ago from this very country.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
You will be able to tell when Boris dies when a maelstrom appears above the hospital and a black fuzzy patch (with blond top) gets dragged screaming into it by the ghosts of thousands of people killed by him and the tories.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

So who's leader at the moment given Jo! lost her seat?

I went to their website a few weeks ago, so probably I'm now in charge.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

How rich is he anyway? And will any of his bastard sires see any of that filthy cash?

Remember, when he was Foreign Sec he rented out his home house to a saudi business man.
Then when he was fired he squatted in downing street until he was forced out to get max money from his own home

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Manchester Police angry they weren't invited to any of them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Well, I know someone who's happy with this.

His son isn't though, cant get free holidays for favours now with the lockdown.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Lol at all the police chiefs becoming tinpot dictators practically overnight.

I know it's necessary but i feel they've been waiting for this moment their whole lives

This is training for full Brexit.
"Oy son, is thats Quinoa I see in your bags. GETINTHEBACKOFTHEVAN!"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

TACD posted:

So instead of preventing people nipping to the shops to buy a six-pack, we're just going to make them also buy a pint of milk and a loaf of bread that'll go straight into the bin when they get home.

Until when milk and bread are so rare that its cheaper to just take the fine.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Good luck with this lol.
My home area in NI has a few vegetable picking farms, and before the virus they couldn't get enough people to pick the stuff here for the last few decades.
Can't see the locals volunteering to do poo poo here.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Pesky Splinter posted:

Going through some old things of my grandparents; photos and general ancient unused, unsent cards and the like - most accidentally shocking find was find a load of christmas stamps from the charity Scope...only it's going by it's former name.

Gotta say it's jarring to see jolly cartoon angels and baby Jesus saying "Help the [slur]" :stare:

I think Grange Hill, or maybe another kids show, had used the now slur term in an innocent way, and that is how it spread around as an insult to kids.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was born in 1960 and I'm very 'about 60' before the end of April in fact. How to celebrate in lockdown?
My 50th took place when that dratted volcano stopped northern Europe so half my friends were stuck in the wrong country (it being school holidays).

So you are saying, for humanity's sake, you need to stop having birthdays?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

It was Blue Peter.

Ah Blue Peter.
That show that confused the poo poo out of every NI kid.
Where you always wondered where the gently caress you get sticky back plastic near you (no newsagents or such near me had any), why England had an abundance of it,
and why every November 5th they would dress up a week after you did at Halloween and cart a shittily looking man in a wheelbarrow demanding money.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's a rather more prosaic and practical reason for that - the man stands at the kerb side so if any passing traffic sprays up horse poo poo it hits him, not her. Now that's possibly/probably just as apocryphal as the sword thing, but I reckon horse poo poo was a lot more common than having a sword fight in most places in the world.

And poo poo flung from above. Remember people would throw their contents of the potty's out the window into the street.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Sad King Billy posted:

I don't know if you have seen this, but words fail me?

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/getwellboris

https://www.harrods.com/en-gb/shopping/purdey-sterling-silver-duelling-cufflinks-14993074

No mention of engraving on their site.
Engraving doesn't cost £300, and its going to a really tiny on loving cufflinks

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

HJB posted:

Andi Peters is on QVC selling pasties. This is completely irrelevant to everything but I feel like it's a sentence that needs to be written.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QembuLOmxM

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Comstar posted:

British comedian and actor Tim Brooke-Taylor has died after contracting coronavirus, the BBC is reporting. He was 79.

The Game of Life Mathematician John Conway has died from it too, announced yesterday.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Or Penfold from a live action Dangermouse.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

"Cross me, and I'll do you a Diana."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, fair. I suppose there's a difference between trying to show solidarity and throwing yourself into the woodchipper pointlessly.

Givin' up on the idea, then. Still really wanna find some manual labour to do, but it's really hard when you live in a city centre and don't drive

We sold our old house to one of these farmers.
And the first thing he did was change the electricity meter to a pay as you go one with cards so he can rip off the workers even more.
Then filled the place with workers, at least two to a room.
When they weren't working, the place was constant music and public annoyance. We got calls from locals thinking it was us for a while.
It is definitely not Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I predict the casualty figure for the first night all the pubs reopen at once will surpass the entire Corona virus death toll.

Pubs and the first football matches that allow crowds.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gloves and mask for the stylist, cleaning the chairs etc between customers (the implements are all meant to be cleaned between each use anyway) and distancing in the waiting area and a couple of big bottles of hand sanitiser should be enough, surely?

Most hairdressers aren't that big, as they only need a row of chairs to sit and wait, and how many chairs and mirrors on the opposite side.
They aren't designed for distancing mostly.

Also, hair itself is hard to keep track of, and it can have the virus itself.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

NotJustANumber99 posted:

There's a generational lag I guess to a certain extent. My siblings are having kids about now and don't really care about the clothes being blue or pink but it's our parents and excited aunties and uncles buying a lot of that stuff.

As a kid you are more worried WHATS on it, not the colour.
Like holy poo poo I would go mental if I didn't have my Thundercat tshirt when I wanted it.
I think kids are more into toy brands like we were than actual colours.
Old folks picking presents default to the color difference if they don't know what to buy them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

"We never said there'd be food."

"Don't you already have blue passports?!?"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
On Page 3.
Sharon from Hull (tastefully only wearing a face mask and latex gloves) says "I do not know how I am going to cope with pubs being closed til christmas"

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 20, 2020

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

zhar posted:

I'm not up to speed on US politics at all, can someone explain why this bill was blocked? Is it just to prevent good things happening to US citizens by Trumps government in the runup to the election or are there real issues with it? Did they give a reason?

The big one is there is within it a 500 billion slush fund for the Republicans that specifically doesn't have a paper trial for the first six months.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Totally going for the Robin Williams Jumanji look.
Not going to shave until lockdown is over.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

C5 cancelled Xena part way through series 4 over 20 years ago and I'm still bitter about that as I then had to spend £00s on VHS boxed sets to finish watching it.

I'm still bitter how Channel 4 treated Babylon 5.
Sundays used to be great. 4pm Smallville, 5pm Babylon 5, then 6pm Scrapheap Challenge all in a row.

Then they stop showing the last 4-5 episodes ever of B5 (and the others), to show some shite like Friends or Everyone Loves Raymond.
And only after a lot of complaining by people they aired the episodes, at 1am-2am on random nights just to get them out of the way.
This was the end of the Channel 4 being amazing to watch in the 90s.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Are the same idiots out on London Bridge clapping?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

Wait am I the weird one for not going to fetish metal clubs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THBe0DoHLUQ

If you aren't doing this at least weekly, you are.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Robot Mil posted:

Is there anywhere in the UK that is counting/reporting care home deaths? Here in Canada it's a huge proportion of overall deaths and where a lot of outbreaks are happening, definitely in British Columbia anyway. I can't see how it would be any different in the UK?

josh04 posted:

Northern Ireland is, it's about doubling the rates.

Yeah, NI is. I think its because the ONLY deaths in some areas are from nursing homes.
In my home area, there is only 10 deaths, and from local gossip we know at least 3-4 of those are from nursing homes.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I think the oddest thing I ever had happen when clothes shopping was when the guy at the shop told me I didn't need short legs when I asked for them because I'm too tall.

Like, they're my legs, they've been attached to me for a while, I know how long they are.

Oddest thing was when I wanted to get measured for a suit for my brothers wedding. He was getting all us family the same style/colour.
And the professional gentlemen suit making store I went to to get these looked at me as if I was asking them how many heads I have.
Now I am a fat bastard, but not that fat. I had no way to find out what neck/chest/waist/inleg I was at that time.
And didn't want to DIY and get a suit that is 3 sizes too small or big as had no way to change it after it was ordered.
I even offered to pay them a tenner for literally 1-2 minutes work.

Still laugh to this day about it, the shocked faces from them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
You know, point to point wormholes would solve a lot of the world's problems.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

DesperateDan posted:

Aye, a bunch could be converted into water bombers for dealing with the increase in forest fires

In the off seasons you could hire them out to fill swimming pools/really clean up some neighborhoods

One wormhole point in the sea or out in space. The other above or on the fire. Fire out instantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I want to go to mars.

And start a Martian UK themed pub.
As in how martians would see the UK.
Every night at 8pm you force everyone to stand up and clap in the direction of Earth.
Pictures of Margaret Thatcher dressed up as the Queen on the walls.
All staff have to speak in an aussie accent.