Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Why are we using the US spelling of metre in the thread title? Pls fix.

brexit means brexit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jose posted:

Idc if it's ghoulish I think the UK would be better of if he got it and maybe died. or any other high profile journo. They might do their loving jobs

Nah they'd just use it as an excuse to claim that journalism is the hardest most dangerous job there is and we should appreciate them more

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

lol he is such a oval office

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Failed Imagineer posted:

The grandeur of the Grand National

Exactly what I thought of when I heard about it lmao

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
cool cool

https://twitter.com/PeterStuart3/status/1247100943696637954?s=20

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Huh so my girlfriend and I just found out that now they're only letting one person per couple/household into supermarkets at a time. Guess I'll sit in the car then!!!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
If he dies how will our ships be able to navigate the warp??

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

VideoGames posted:

Wow, cannot believe how thin skinned Jack is. I am sure he had a veruca at some point.

Jack is a human verruca

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Lmaooooooo

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1248882813409075207?s=19

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jose posted:

Come join us in the cccc UK chat thread if you want to talk without politics stuff

It's a BYOB subforum

I used to post there years ago until they put the byob theme in, and I just couldn't get past the colours. Is there any way to turn it off? I might just not be byob enough.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Well then it looks like I'm not going to get much work done today!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

I liked Midsommar but Hereditary was better.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
beef and stilton pasties are the food of the gods

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Lmaooooooo

https://twitter.com/HadleyFreeman/status/1251786058825695232?s=19

The replies are great

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Miftan posted:

The perfect Liberal take :discourse:

"Won't someone think of the oligarchs!!"

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Microplane or grate or slice garlic, presses are just messy and awkward.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I've become a true coffee snob over the last year. I was fine with instant coffee but have slowly moved over to now having freshly ground pour over coffee and holy poo poo is it night and day. I ran out of coffee beans last week and had to go back to instant for a couple of days and it loving sucks.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

UnquietDream posted:

If you can, and fair if you can't but quite a lot of the coffee places around me have been doing deliveries and I've lapped that up. Partially because good coffee but also because I really really want the locally owned coffee shop in Cardiff that I am habitually at to still be there when this ends.

I've got one of those online coffee subscription things and it's been great. I just had to up the frequency of it since working from home! Saves me having to go out and get it for sure.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Coohoolin posted:

See this is the thing, cremina is the simplest type of pasta sauce made by combining olive oil sauteed flavourings (ex garlic, chillies, etc) with a little bit of pasta water.

The first time I made my gf pasta al tonno I described it as tuna pasta and she was expecting an unholy baked abomination. You all eat pasta, why not learn the incredibly simple way to make it the best? Is it just British solipsism? Latent anti continental racism? gently caress me.

I cook pasta like this all the time, I've just never heard of it called cremina.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone who hates spending too much time cooking should really invest in a slow cooker. They're cheap (i got mine for like £25) and you just chuck in all the ingredients in it in the morning and it's done by dinner time. Sometimes you should brown the meat before putting it in but apart from that, that's all there is to it. I've made some really tasty curries, goulash, pulled pork and loads more in it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Guavanaut posted:

I get what you're saying, but the wording here tickled me.

Ha! Yeah luckily you're not the one cooking so you can forget about it until you get the wonderful smell of your future dinner filling the house. I'd never had goulash before owning a slow cooker and it owns. Like someone said earlier, smoked paprika rules.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Crankit posted:

Imagine getting flour and using it to bake bread. I've gone fully Marie Antoinette and any flour I get is becoming cakes

:agreed:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Before you go about banning air travel it might be better banning cargo ships since the top 15 of them produce as much pollution as all cars on earth.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

But the rate and distances we travel right now are not required for humans to be humans, and are in fact actively deleterious to humans being humans because they are not sustainable.

The internet isn't required for humans to be humans.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

But what's your proposed solution for making the necessary changes to human society that doesn't involve losing any of the things we can currently do?

I don't have a solution and I'm not assuming that it's as simple as banning all international travel.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

minema posted:

I was just saying that everyone should try to fly less, I wasn't suggesting enforcing limits. All I meant was that if you emigrate to another country you should accept you won't be able to see your family as often as you would have otherwise.

Like most things in life even if we as regular people flew less it is all completely negated by the super rich and their private fleets of planes. So probably best to focus on them first before going after the proles.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

zhar posted:

What's your source for this?

Here's one article about it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...e-a9071391.html

Per passenger mile they're worse mainly from the fact that they take less people so each person's carbon footprint on board is way higher.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Right but you're still talking at the very most a few thousand planes which spend most of their time sitting in a hangar having hooker blood hosed out of them - compared to the carbon footprint of even a small regional airline it's a rounding error. Like I say, concentrate on how they get their money, not what they do with it - it makes no loving difference if the Koch family all start taking the train tomorrow compared to the colossal footprint of the companies they own.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that yes it's a class thing not a mode of transport thing.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Josef bugman posted:

Also isn't nuclear power kind of difficult to do because it sometimes 1) explodes and 2) takes ages to set up to ensure that 1 doesn't happen.

France alone has 58 nuclear reactors so no it can be done pretty successfully.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

I think abolishing borders is not the same thing as abolishing geography.

Abolish borders but don't even think about trying to go outside them!!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think that travelling to other places does that (especially not brits traveling abroad) or that the primary inhibitor of "global social development" is a lack of cross cultural pollenation.

Have you been abroad at all? Genuine question.

Also, not all Brits abroad are the stereotypical gammons you see in Spain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I was on an air india flight a few years ago and the attendant came over 2/3rds of the way into the flight and asked me if I wanted a drink, I asked for a beer and then they asked, "Another one?", so I said uuh sure, took it, then they said "Another one?" again and I ended up with 3 beers at once without even needing to ask.