Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

josh04 posted:

Tbf "net worth" articles are always total horseshit.

You don't get an invite to the Bullingdon Club unless you're minted though, so it's probably fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Azza Bamboo posted:

A lot of tears itt. Also "if you're not with me then you're against me" thinking.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with how emphatic his win was.

There's lots of situations in life where "if you're not with me, then you're against me" is appropriate, measured and reasonable.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

mehall posted:

John is too old, he was apparently talking about retiring after the 2015 parliament, but stuck around when Corbyn got the leadership, otherwise he'd likely have retired by now.

Doesn't he also have lots of baggage from days of yore too? Don't think the establishment reaction against him would have been any less fierce.

Cerv posted:

lol such transparent begging.

she’s never even had a junior role above PPS, and asks to jump straight into shadow cabinet?

Doesn't this kind of headline normally result from being asked a leading question by the interviewer? I mean, if I was asked, I'd say yes, and I've got even less experience than Philips. She's not gonna say no, because it makes any politician look like they don't want to be making a difference in people's lives.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 4, 2020

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

Problem is I voted SNP before and theyr handling the covid thing embarrassingly badly.
Its become extremely clear they have no real power at all and just follow in whatever bojo does but say they did it themselves.

What have they been screwing up? Haven't particularly noticed anything in the media about it, except that Sturgeon can deliver more concise and coherent speeches compared to Johnson.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

What the gently caress is this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52164358

quote:

Mobile phone masts have been torched amid theories linking coronavirus to 5G, despite ministers saying there is no credible evidence to back them.

Masts were set alight in Sparkhill, Birmingham, on Thursday and Melling, Merseyside, on Friday.
On Friday, Facebook removed a page which showed several videos claiming to show 5G towers on fire and encouraged others to do the same.

Trin Tragula posted:

It's funny how lots of people think this until they're being told anything they do say will be given in evidence, and then they have a quite miraculous Damascene conversion

Agreed, lawyers ensuring that defendants get a fair trial should not be regarded as having character defects for doing so.

Endjinneer posted:

Politicians are untrustworthy, so unless they sign pledges I don't trust them.
Politicians are untrustworthy, so when they sign pledges I don't trust them.

:golfclap:

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

I'll make a small contribution to bird chat. They aren't perfectly focused but these were flying overhead this afternoon!

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

tbf that's just any auld doll in Norn Iron, my Granny would always be nosing out of the window to see what the neighbours were up to

Much truth in this!

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

If anyone misses the pub (or just wants an excuse to make fun of me) I'll be live streaming a house gig in this group at 10pm. I've started on the Guinness so you might even get your requests met.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/201653174496800/

I popped in and sent a virtual wave.

OwlFancier posted:

Speaking of beer I found out recently that I quite like newkie brown despite not generally liking any sort of beer drink.

Are there any other things in that vein that I should try if so? I like that it's not particularly bitter, just a nice rounded flavour to it, sort of earthy and pleasant.

I don't know if it counts as 'proper' beer or not, but you may enjoy some things that deliberately mess up the 'beer taste'. E.g. the Badger Sett

https://www.badgerbeers.com/our-beers/

I'm quite partial to the Blandford Fly which is fizzy and ginger-y for example.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

"Spoken to Keir this afternoon"
"I look forward to welcoming Keir to the Potteries"
"Looking forward to working with Keir to rebuild our party"

Ffffff, she's coming back, isn't she. :(

I wonder how many other Change candidates we're going to get crawling back.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 5, 2020

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Encouraging first remarks from Starmer:

quote:

Key workers have been "overlooked and underpaid" and there will have to be a "reckoning" after the coronavirus crisis, the new Labour leader has said.

Sir Keir Starmer told the BBC's Andrew Marr: "They were last and now they've got to be first."

He said another decade of austerity would be a mistake, saying it was "inevitable" that the wealthy would have to pay more.

Speaking to the BBC's Andrew Marr Show, Sir Keir said: "What we can't do is go back to business as usual we now know who the key workers are, they have very often been overlooked, underpaid and there has got to be a change."

He said funding of the NHS had to be looked at and "we have to think about how we reimagine the economy going forward".

"I think it is inevitable that we have to ask those that have more to pay more," he said.

"When we are through [the coronavirus crisis] there is going to have to be a reckoning, we are going to have to do things differently."

Looks at least like he has no intention from backing away from an anti-austerity stance.

Edit:

Also I don't normally approve of Tabloid stings, but in this case... The Scottish chief medical officer decides to take a wee trip to the holiday home in Fife.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52171694

Prince John fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 5, 2020

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Pretty sure Ruth Smeeth never left sadly, just lost her seat to the Tories

Haha, wow, you're completely right. I think I had just lumped her in with the rest. :facepalm:

jabby posted:

Corbyn's foreign policy was always, in my opinion, a bigger impediment to him getting into power than his domestic agenda. Being nice to the poor might get you disapproving looks from our major allies, but trying to shift the international balance of power/consorting with our 'enemies' is genuinely the sort of thing they will just kill you for. Part of me is slightly relieved Corbyn made it out of the job without getting into a mysterious CIA/Mossad-approved "car accident".

So it's not a great feeling, but I can see it coming that one of compromises we are asked to make with Starmer is a Corbyn-styled domestic agenda but without any significant shifts in foreign policy.

I think this feels likely. A couple of right wing commentators on his leadership campaign were drawing attention to the complete absence of anything on foreign policy.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Hahaha, Lisa Nandy as foreign secretary. I guess there's not much focus on international politics at the moment at least.

Anneliese Dodds as Chancellor is reassuring - wasn't she McDonnell's preferred option? RLB conspicuously absent, presumably to get a minor post tomorrow.

Rachel Reeves in cabinet, but lurking on the sidelines. I wonder if she was first choice, but given Duchy of Lancaster so she can slide in later, once the scrutiny is lower.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Bobstar posted:

It's ok, they have towns in other countries too

:golfclap: Amazing.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Edit: ^^ Apparently they were never charging the NHS rent, but for a contribution towards the fixed costs of maintaining the building, if you believe the response they put out. They're now waiving that too.

ronya posted:

The collapse of Burgon suggests the problem runs deeper than this...

He didn't remind me of a rallying figure so much as Eeyore. And pretty tone deaf to how policies like his war consultation could be easily spun by the media into making him look like a caricature commie pinko leftie. I still voted for him, but more out of a grim sense of duty than enthusiasm.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 5, 2020

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, rent deferral, whatever. People aren't paying rent right now, but their debts are building, and they're going to get a huge bill in three months while we're still on lockdown.

We don't have a rent deferral either, do we? Just a slightly longer eviction process. Landlords can get relief from their mortgage payments though.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Tarnop posted:

Everyone has their own line though, right? At some point a group stops being something that you think can be changed into one worth supporting. For example, you presumably wouldn't advocate to join the Conservative party in order to fight for change from within.

Let's say I look at the vote breakdown for leader and decide that it's pretty strong evidence that the membership collectively cannot stomach the idea of a woman in charge. Or I look at the deputy vote and realise that they definitely don't want a person of colour anywhere near the leadership. At what point does it become acceptable to the party membership police for me to say "this party no longer represents me or the people I care for"?

I think your argument is a good one, but who are they going to support if not Labour, though? You're not likely to get more social justice from the Lib Dems and the Tories certainly aren't a safe haven either. You might as well stay in the political party most likely to lead to positive change otherwise you lose all influence.

Bardeh posted:

this is from the mail, so im not gonna link it:

he's potentially killed himself because he didn't take this seriously until he literally was gasping for breath

Assuming this is true and not just some puff piece to create a hardworking martyr narrative, it's striking how much little he trusts his subordinates. I don't think anyone in the country would give a proverbial if he went on sick leave for a few days and handed over the reigns to his deputy - it's what the rest of us do. But he's terrified of leaving them in charge.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Telegraph is working on it already.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Chinese Gordon posted:

Absolutely not. If anything, it makes turbo suicide no deal more likely, since while Boris couldn't really give a gently caress about Brexit beyond optics, all of his potential successors are lunatic true believers.

I'm also a bit worried that any replacement PM will be worse. Say what you like about Bojo, but he does want to be liked by the country, which may well translate into some cash heading towards key workers after this is over. I'd rather have BoJo as PM than Gove, or IDS.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Ok will do. That's interesting, I only just thought about it when my phone wanted me to read a story about how insurers are about to see a billion pound windfall from underutilized cars still being proper insured.

Heh. I'm sure our premiums will go down accordingly.

I got a preemptive email from them saying go wild with the volunteering and no need to call them.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

gently caress, after reading that, I really want to thump someone. :argh:

Lungboy posted:

If he'd cleaned house of the right like Boris did to the "moderate" Tories he might.

It's much easier to withdraw the whip from MPs than to fire employees though.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Decorum needs to die, immediately. Sorry Corbyn/Bernie, you're completely irrelevant in today's world. You will always be a monument for what we could have had in a better world, but these people are the enemy and are completely insidious. Weeds need digging up at the root. Pricks. I hate loving everything right now.

As much as I'm also filled with rage, they also shot themselves in the foot once again by not submitting the loving thing a month ago when it was completed. Who cares if it's within the remit or not, just make it public, otherwise it's pointless to spend the gazillion hours preparing the document.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Totally would be me if I got my hands on one of those beasts!

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Almost every person named in that doc has gone protected on Twitter and I'm certain is currently scrubbing the gently caress out of their old posts, especially those from spring/summer 2017.

Is there someone out there archiving all of twitter? Feels like someone must be.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

J_RBG posted:

loving hell this is going to define people's attitudes to the labour party for years to come, depending on what starmer does

https://twitter.com/mfinnthepoet/status/1249476494985957376

This one is misleading. The actual text in the report makes it clear she's repeating a rumour that she has heard:

quote:

Discussion in the “SMT Group” made clear LOTO’s negative view of the NCC’s “soft decision”, with key staff in LOTO, such as LOTO Chief of Staff Karie Murphy, suspecting it had been orchestrated “to embarrass JC and create a crisis”:

06/04/2017, 21:11 - Emilie Oldknow: Got a crazy tale for you... Apparently Karie has been telling Shadow Cabinet members that I have orchestrated the Ken situation so that KL made provocative comments and then Tom got his people on the panel to make a soft decision, all in order to embarrass JC and create a crisis.
06/04/2017, 21:11 - Emilie Oldknow: TW has heard this too
06/04/2017, 21:22 - Patrick Heneghan: That's from Simon f I guess
06/04/2017, 21:22 - Patrick Heneghan: Based on what I heard 854

Don't know why they feel the need to selectively edit quotes. There's enough dirt in the report elsewhere and it just opens them up to charges of manipulation as a defence.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Presumably she's talking about the actual act of leaking the document rather than all the stuff in it, as damaging to labour right now and the fault of leftists for doing it.

I'm having visions of a nasty future timeline where all the evil gremlins get nice payouts from Labour as a result of their personal data having been leaked and causing them reputational damage.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

So LAAS are "taking legal counsel" and "collecting evidence of people sharing the report":

https://www.facebook.com/265468330561803/posts/885247921917171/?d=n

I shared the link to it quite a lot on twitter.

Am I getting sued, do you think? Are there actually legal grounds for that?

You could always protect your tweets temporarily, or delete the posts where you share the link. I'm assuming they're too incompetent to do an insta-archive of everyone sharing it.

brian posted:

i genuinely don't understand how anyone can expect things from Keir Starmer like he wasn't explicitly the right wing candidate of choice, did you really think they were putting their eggs in the Jess Phillips basket or what

What about the Nandy basket? :D

Prince John fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 13, 2020

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

LabourList now have a fairly even-handed write-up. Goes into more detail than the Beeb article, which from what I saw, focused purely on antisemitism and completely sidestepped abuse and sabotage.

https://labourlist.org/2020/04/internal-report-lays-bare-poor-handling-of-complaints-by-labour/

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

At least the NEC is setting the terms for the enquiry rather than just him. How likely is the NEC to be tough on this, given there were some union people involved?

I really, really, hope this wasn't the case.

I'll be on it for the first 45 minutes so if they get around to a general Q&A session while I'm still on the call, I will ask whether there's truth in this.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

so this is all fine and not a completely loving terrifying indication that the british government are off the wall english nationalists

https://twitter.com/RobertTyreBute/status/1250127248201572353?s=20

Aye, pretty grim. Has there been an official response from the UK government yet? I'm assuming their line will be that health is a devolved area, therefore they're not responsible for sourcing PPE for the Scottish NHS - but it's not going to win them any votes north of the border that's for sure. I can't imagine they'll tough this one out for long.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

I'm sure they'll have an excuse but it's not gonna fly in a million years lmao

specifically because any plausible excuse is gonna run up into the emails that explicitly say "we've been instructed not to sell to you", which is actively blocking the Scottish NHS from sourcing its own PPE.

Apparently, events have overtaken us. Looks like the Scottish government didn't think they were credible rumours.

quote:

The suggestion of PPE being diverted to England from Scotland had earlier in the day been dismissed by the Scottish government's clinical director.

Prof Jason Leitch, speaking on the Good Morning Scotland programme, said: "We have looked into it and we think it's rubbish.

"So the companies, and our colleagues at NHS England yesterday when we spoke to them, said it wasn't true.

"There's another element of this, though, that the English route for PPE is one of three routes that Scotland has access to PPE from.

"So we are in a four-country fight against this virus. Honestly, people might not believe me, but that four-countries' fight is pretty aligned."

Apparently the Scottish health secretary has also received assurances that providers were not asked to prioritise England over Scotland, for whatever that's worth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52279578

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Pistol_Pete posted:

Starmer online now saying that the Uk must never return to austerity and that the economy must fundamentally change going forwards. Also talking a lot about unity lol.

Good turnout so far, they're saying over 10k on zoom. They are actually taking questions (lol, 1,700 sent in so far!), although I dare say with that many people on the call there will be lots of grouping and sifting.

Keir so far talking very strongly about lack of tests etc. Seems to be on top of government's previous test targets and where they are against them.

He actually comes across relatively normally when he's in full flow. Not half as awkward as he is when doing a speech.

Pablo Bluth posted:

This is NHS England's current understanding of in-hospital deaths by actual date, as of yesterday 5pm.

The 'provision' bars are the ones the NHS themselves label as 'Data likely to change' Most the deaths are recorded within five days but they still continue to get noted after that. For example, only 81% of the deaths known to have occurred on the 31st March were collated in the first five days. The long-tail of reports seems to have gotten longer, presumably as the hospital system has been more overworked. If you apply an 80% rule to the first couple of red bars then we're still in the flattening stage rather that decreasing stage.

I must say that I'm encouraged at how quickly we appear to have moved into the flattening zone. Not to minimise the tragedies occurring every day in our hospitals and care homes, but I was expecting that daily death number to shoot way, way, past Italy given the delay in our lockdown and its comparative slackness. Perhaps this might be an indication that the severity of lockdown doesn't need to be Alcatraz-level in order to get the bulk of the benefit of reducing transmission?

Edit: vv Agreed. Some genuine upset in Angela's voice IMO.
Edit2: Although god I just *hate* "Ange". That word triggers me so bad for some random reason.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 15, 2020

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Wasn't there a thing about 50% lockdown being almost as good as 90% lockdown or something, I remember something like that ITT.
Sweden will be laughing if that's a known thing.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

Lewis is a charismatic handsome ex-military man that has drunk-tweeted extremely cogent and explicitly anti-neoliberal takes, he seems to genuinely understand how awful neoliberal atomisation is, by any measure he's a legit good bloke with a potentially massive electoral appeal but he just won't get involved he won't fight.

I mean, he did run for leader. :shrug:

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

It actually gets even stranger:

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

kingturnip posted:

Just done a back-garden haircut with the clippers and then sat in on an hour-long videocall while trying to keep the camera still enough that no-one could see the assorted detritus in my room.
Fun times.

If it's zoom you're using, allow me to commend the 'virtual background' feature. Cunningly blocks all your assorted detritus and replaces it with an image of your choosing.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

^^ That sounds amazing.

Oh that's a shame, I get full coverage. Just asking the dumb question on the offchance, but you don't have the 'i have a green screen' option ticked do you? That messes it right up if you don't actually have one.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Payndz posted:

I once had a boss who'd done this at least twice - picking up all his old company's assets cheap and starting a new company in the same building while leaving creditors in the poo poo - to the point of having to hire effectively an office bouncer to protect him from pissed-off people demanding money. Right after I left he did it again, leaving me out of pocket on a bunch of freelance stuff I'd done that wasn't part of my regular work. About a year later I got maybe 10% of what I was owed. Thankfully I wasn't depending on it for food or rent.

Why anyone's allowed to do this more than once, and even on that one time without massive restrictions on their subsequent actions, is a mystery. But hey, that's capitalism!

The short answer is you're not. The trouble is that it generally requires someone with time and/or money to actually enforce this.

At minimal cost, you could make a complaint setting out why you think he should be disqualified as a director. There's always an outside chance there have been lots of complaints, and if disqualified, he will be forbidden from becoming a director of future companies without permission.

I'm assuming from your description that he's only doing it repeatedly because it's worth his while, aka he's squirreling profits away while screwing his creditors. That's a criminal offence and grounds for disqualification as a company director, and for personal liability through 'piercing the corporate veil'. (e.g. https://www.businessrescueexpert.co.uk/piercing-corporate-veil/).

If you think he's deliberately been putting assets out of reach of his creditors before liquidating, then you can apply to resurrect the company for a small fee to try and open proceedings. Then the Insolvency Service can handle complaints once he tries to dissolve it again.

If he's just terrible at running a business (i.e. he's genuinely running out of money each time and then starting again out of blind faith that he'll do better next time) then it's a bit harder to prove, but it's still an offence to knowingly trade while insolvent or taking on third parties with no intentions to pay them. As always, those who have time and money to piss away on lawyers are the ones that get justice.

He sounds like a real poo poo and I'm sorry you got stiffed.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

Question; why is the government announcing that it's another 3 weeks of lockdown while also announcing the furlough support will be going on for at least 3 months? Is there some public good to tricking some people into thinking 'it might only be another few weeks' while the Savvy Reader understands it'll be much longer?

Also large companies laying off >100 people need to give their employees 45 days notice if they make them redundant. If the furlough is approaching the end, companies need to make decisions 45 days prior to that about whether they will be able to pay their employees or whether they need to make them redundant. A lengthy extension gives everyone breathing room and means companies can see the economy picking up before making redundancy decisions.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Nope. People walk past each other on the pavement same as they always do, without moving away from each other. Cyclists don't bother to keep their distance either. Dog walkers are stopping to chat to each other without thinking about social distancing etc. I'm not trying to be Scrooge here, I just think it's remarkable that people have basically stopped caring altogether. If you weren't told about the lockdown because you were living in a cave for example, you would not notice any difference.

This is in a fairly affluent town in the midlands for example

Huh. As a counterpoint in my not-affluent town a bit further south, everyone crosses the street to avoid being close, or at least steps into the road. Social distancing is observed in shops and the streets are pretty empty. Hopefully your town is not representative!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Seems like someone in Cabinet is either lying, out of the loop, or much less sold on Number 10's plans.

What the gently caress is it with the "we went with the science" bullshit. Are our scientific advisors really saying that it wasn't necessary to lockdown in order to stop the NHS being overwhelmed?