Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I just want to apologize to everyone who has been in the rona threads since the beginning in late Jan/early feb and who I probably insulted or something for lolling at this

because now all I can do is lol at this too

like lmao at that graph where 3000+ people die a day from this for a while month. hope since my state is already plagued reall hard(jersey) that it peaks and ends here earlier than everywhere else

lol

I was anxious and panicked about the Roni but I’m definitely in the acceptance stage now. All I can do is lmao as a car with United States written on the side slow motions towards the edge of a cliff.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

a helpful bear posted:

:rip: dave matthews :(

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Flooger posted:

I started smoking again this week. Smoke free since like September . Genius loving move to start back.

I quit smoking at the first of the year, and switch over to a Juul. I jbought a carton of cigarettes this weekend to store in my freezer for when the poo poo hits the fan

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/business/status/1245460928289812480

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

why the gently caress are they talking about drug interdiction

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1245505018612133888

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Hi,

This did not happen.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

MadJackal posted:

Day 12

“I will continue using military metaphors. We are at war with this virus.”

The greetings this morning were grim.

“Stay safe” has become the aloha of intra-Resident conversations. I heard that twice before reaching the front doors of the hospital just after sunrise.

“How was the night?” is the standard greeting to the two Residents just finishing their 12 hour Night Float shift. These are the two young MDs left to put out fires across half the hospital’s two hundred or so beds.

“We had the longest Code ever. Took an hour. We went through maybe 20 epi’s.”

Epinephrine is only given to people with either pulseless electrical activity or those who are asystolic – flatliners. (Once again, Hollywood has lied to you. You don’t put the paddles on anyone with a monitor next to them going BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.) The ACLS guidelines say you push those every 3-5 minutes.

The Ok, We Tried alarm should have gone off about 3-4 epi’s in. Not 20.

“Was it a young guy?” “No, It was James.”

I curse a little louder than I mean to. I walk out of the room and wash my hands even though I’m sure I hadn’t touched anything.

James is- was a nurse at my hospital. He was maybe in his early 50s. Every Resident loved him because he was tough and always fought for his patients. He was a nice guy and a pleasure to work with. But he was fierce. He’d seek us out during Rounds, stare us down and make sure we put in orders for his patients ASAP. We all respected him.

I knew he was on a vent as of the night before with settings that looked, well, dire, but it’s still a shock.

The night team leaves. I start mindlessly updating the cheat sheet summary of our 16 patients. I’m on autopilot at this point. 13 are COVID cases. COVID cases are, unfortunately, very easy to manage. You put in orders for medications that you’re pretty sure don’t work, you note how bad their oxygen saturation is on nasal cannula (NC) or nonrebreather (NRB), and you gown up and see the worst cases / people you think might need to be intubated in the near future.

The first Rapid Response comes at 7:40AM. I reach the door (of course it’s a COVID room, that’s all we have left) and realize I left my N95 at home. I’m not entering that room. I flippantly tell the interns to access the situation and head to pick up a new mask at the Command Center.

The nice nursing admin lady hands me a paper bag with a new N95. She tells me to sign for it in the binder just outside the door. Despite my autopilot brain, I joke, “Oh we’re on the honor system? You know I’m just going to sign ‘John Smith’ in the binder right?” She laughs and says it’s ok I left my N95 at home.

I pick up my mask and sign John Smith in the binder.

Just because I’m in shock doesn’t mean I can pass up a joke like that.

I head back up to the Rapid. I get a debrief that this was narrow complex ventricular tachycardia in the 200s. They pushed metoprolol (wrong decision) and adenosine (right decision). I go talk to the very bright and hardworking intern on my team. I explain that in situations like this where the patient is otherwise hemodynamically stable, metoprolol isn’t going to do enough to slow the heart rate. You’ve got to reset the circuit breaker. I asked who the attending was in the room.

There was no attending. The intern had to make the call.

I left my interns to the wolves when I walked off in a huff to go get a new mask.

My autopilot brain goes over how lovely I am of a senior Resident. When YOU were an intern, at least your seniors never walked away from a Rapid.

As I walk back to the call room to barricade myself behind a door for an hour or so, I come upon a nurse meeting where the news of James’ passing was being announced. I honestly don’t remember a single word of it. I do remember the occasional sobs coming from these amazing nurses.

Then there’s a Rapid and a COVID is intubated.

Table Rounds.

Then there’s a Rapid and a COVID is intubated.

I’m getting good at assessing whether or not a hypoxic COVID patient will get tubed and if we have time to get them upstairs before they crash.

Go me.

“The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places.”

I don’t think my fellow Residents or I will break in the near-future. Maybe, maybe not. A few of us are close though, including myself. Feels like it’s just over the horizon.

It’s what follows that quote which worries me.

“But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.”

James never broke. He was good, and gentle and brave and he was killed.

I appreciate you writing these and for the work you’re doing

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

There are roni test kits available on DHgate. I think they were probably backdoor'd out of a manufacturing place or fell off the back of a truck. They look like legit antibody tests, but I don't know poo poo about this stuff. I guess these are the tests that people have been saying aren't working as they would only show a positive result after your body started to produce antibodies in an amount measurable by the test, so not much use for quickly determining if that fever and headache is the Toni Roni or not.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/GrrrGraphics/status/1246456156102385664

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

in the best timeline, New York secedes and joins China’s emerging coalition

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

etalian posted:

My brother lives out in rural TN and this month the town got flooded by people from the NE (NY/CT/NJ) fleeing to their vacation homes.

a source told me last night that a rural West TN hospital near a popular recreation area has 7 intubated COVID patients in its 12 bed ICU. at least one of these patients is from a Memphis suburb and left the city to go to their vacation house.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

triple sulk posted:

good morning

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

presser stream: https://youtu.be/O8f-QjnmXXQ

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

trump just said that people didn’t want free money they wanted to work

lmao

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/sharksoncouches/status/1246361184514772992?s=21

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/gHMP5xO.mp4

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Wuhan locked down on 1/23 , wasn't the door welding vid and steel containment cube around that time?

I think that stuff was in the two weeks after Wuhan lockdown. re-reading the first weeks of the original corona thread is wild

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

TowerofOil posted:

I cant loving wait to go back to work tomorrow for number. My roommates job had multiple people test positive for the roni last week and his work closed for all of one loving day and opened again, he goes back to work tomorrow too

my brother works in a sausage factory and they’ve had one confirmed case, and he told me about two different people collapsing and not being able to catch their breath. they closed today and are back open tomorrow.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

I order mango Juul pods from Canada because I don’t want to go back to smoking.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

AHA

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

i am extremely looking forward to whatever pomp and nonsense england has in store for a prime minister's funeral. i'm sure it will be full of all kinds of archaic royal nonsense and flair like the royal weddings. maybe something dumb like the queen takes a drink from the royal chalice, swishes it around and then spits it into the mouth of all the cabinet members who take turns doing the same all down the line until the last person stands up and blows the royal backwash out of their mouth to the masses of people gathered below. big ben will strike exactly six and a half times and they'll all cheer for the life of boris. everyone will wear green vests with pink shoes and we'll learn this ritual is called 'snarfling the garffle' and has been a practice since the 1600s. people all over england will crowd into pubs to cry out 'my god, it was the most beautiful snarffle i've ever seen'

loving monarchies lol

when's the last time a PM died in office?

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

my brother works at a Tyson pork plant and they have four confirmed cases and aren't closing lmao

I told him they need to stage a walkout but that aint happening in the south

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

didn't realize de blasio was a crip

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

currently thinking about the beans i made last night

they came out real nice cooked with just a few garlic cloves and a bit of salt

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

trump briefing starting soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVeEmARzvfo

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

big boy is LIVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVeEmARzvfo

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

updated for reality

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Sphyre posted:

boy i cant wait for this thing to be over in *checks projections* may

can't stop thinking of this

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

CODChimera posted:

actually with recent events now is probably a good time to check your supplies. do you have enough beans?

I have enough food in my house to feed my partner and I for six months, and still feel like I don't have enough supplies.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

AppleNippleBOB posted:

it's p hosed.

not as hosed as me still working atm.
I'm glad I still have a job, sure.
Glad I don't have to be in the mile long foodbank lines I saw 2 of today while driving around the city for work.
Upset that my near 70yr old coworker will likely catch it and die, after spreading it to his wonderfully nice wife before going.

gently caress this poo poo, fire me and give me my trumpbux

gently caress

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

test post to see I lost all my av stuff

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

gently caress

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

we're on like day four of 'guys we're totally gonna flatten the curve soon we swear' so

hey guys we flattened the curve

ignore the million+ test kits waiting to be processed

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

dex_sda posted:

wait what

yesterday during the WH press brief, Dr Birx said the following:

quote:

I want to finish by really talking to my laboratory directors, because you’re extraordinary and you’ve done an amazing amount of testing. Those nearly 2 million tests that we’re getting to, those were all done in the last two to three weeks. But we do have ex- — excess capacity. So if all the lab directors could look in their laboratories, if they have an Abbott m2000, if they could get that up and running, we could double the number of tests that we’re doing per day. That is a high-throughput. The machines are throughout the United States. There’s hundreds of them. Right now, about 80 percent of them are idle. We’re going to have a call with the laboratory directors of these laboratories to really ensure that this is an automated, robotic situation that they can run.

There’s over a million tests sitting tests — test kits sitting ready to be run. We have five platforms of test. This is one of our really high-volume platforms, like Roche. And we’re really calling on them to really increase that capacity so that we can do not only increase diagnostic testing, which I think we’re doing quite well right now, but also increasing the ability to do more healthcare workers, first responders, community testing, and surveillance.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...g-april-7-2020/

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

oxsnard posted:

where is the narrative that "this is basically over" coming from?

government and media mostly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

idgi