Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LingcodKilla posted:

Just who are they protecting them from?

Protecting the minds of their followers from reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Was Prussian Blue not available?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

stealie72 posted:

Was Prussian Blue not available?

Didn’t they grow up?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

LingcodKilla posted:

Didn’t they grow up?

I think last I heard they were hippies now? Who knows

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Gonna get reaaaaal into bolshevism

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Once Prussian blue turned 18 they both did what pretty much any child of overbearing conservatives do: immediately become potheads

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Internet Wizard posted:

Once Prussian blue turned 18 they both did what pretty much any child of overbearing conservatives do: immediately become potheads

Seems like a lot of Neo-Nazis would benefit from smoking weed and jerking off

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

LingcodKilla posted:

They're defending the brave, patriot farmers in the rural areas from "Detroit". Really that simple.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Russian PM Mishustin tests positive for virus

quote:

Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin says he has been diagnosed with coronavirus.

His positive test came on the same day that Russia recorded a record 7,099 cases, taking the total number of infections above 100,000.

Mr Mishustin was given the role of prime minister in January and has been actively involved in Russia's handling of the epidemic.

Russian TV showed him telling President Vladimir Putin of his diagnosis.

"I have just learned that the test on the coronavirus I took was positive," the prime minister said during the video call.

Mr Mishustin suggested that First Deputy Prime Minister Andrei Belousov should take his place and Mr Putin agreed. Mr Mishustin will now go into self-isolation.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

facialimpediment posted:

They're defending the brave, patriot farmers in the rural areas from "Detroit". Really that simple.

Yeah, they need to protect Michigan from the Yankee menace! The Confederacy shall rise again!!

Oh, wait...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I guess we can find out if polonium cures coronavirus

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That Works posted:

I guess we can find out if polonium cures coronavirus

At certain temperatures

https://twitter.com/forbesscience/status/1255292848762687490?s=21

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Technically correct.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

50 million was my cutoff too lol

I had a giggle moment and thought about saying 101% so you could literally have people paying themselves so much they went broke. Hell besos makes something stupid like 6.3 million either a day or a week cant remember which, imagine how much we could do for the country if everything after either his first 9 days or 9 weeks of income went straight to taxes

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/DFisman/status/1255600480333574146?s=20

Thread unrolled below

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1255600480333574146.html

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stravag posted:

I had a giggle moment and thought about saying 101% so you could literally have people paying themselves so much they went broke. Hell besos makes something stupid like 6.3 million either a day or a week cant remember which, imagine how much we could do for the country if everything after either his first 9 days or 9 weeks of income went straight to taxes

I heard it was 8k a second

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

maybe i'm too hungry but i couldn't make much sense of this as a layman

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Is the the first time anyone else had heard that someone other than Putin/Medvedev has been the PM in the past decade?

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Patware posted:

"Signs are good, ask again later"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Patware posted:

it appears it might help if given early, and doesnt appear to be too deadly

the problem here being vast amounts of this county you still cannot get tested unless the rona is balls deep into you

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

People getting evicted and going hungry: I sleep

AETNA facing a challenging Q2:

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1255255653188321282?s=21

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"unlikely alliance"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Fallom posted:

"unlikely alliance"

It's hilarious how terrible the media is in this country

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

it appears it might help if given early, and doesnt appear to be too deadly

the problem here being vast amounts of this county you still cannot get tested unless the rona is balls deep into you

Basically this, just like any antiviral treatment, the earlier you are taking it the better your results. In the mice trials they administered remdesivir as a prophylactic before exposing the mice to SARS-COV-2. Expectedly, the mice which received remdesivir as a prophylactic had a much milder illness than control mice, and quicker recovery.

This also shows up in the remdesivir trial they enrolled people in, the earlier you get it the better you do, because the virus's reproduction is inhibited by remdesivir, and you don't get as sick.

Antivirals are nasty poo poo though, they can make you quite sick themselves, and some of them are so strong that they're handled as a cytotoxic drug by hospital staff, e.g. ganciclovir, which is a carcinogen and a mutagen. So there's some concern about side effects of administering remdesivir as a widespread treatment for SARS-COV-2, but it's better than hooking people to a vent and praying.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
lol McConnell is going to get people killed (even more than usual) and no wonder why the House doesn't want to come back

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1255966288373055489

McConnell is just death cult YOLOing so he can get more judges in

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

I predict the answer is antifa.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Godholio posted:

I predict the answer is antifa.

known for liking masks so not a bad answer

however lol why would you want to be around those cesspools of disease let them get together and slap bro-bellies or whatever they do

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/DeItaOne/status/1255972408353329154

pretty much guaranteed he is revealing TS/SCI intel in press briefings

:chaostrump:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pmchem posted:

Coin toss if it’s that or if it’s his own beliefs.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

pmchem posted:

He definitely releases TS/SCI info in press briefings, but i'm gonna go with the old standby of he's pulling poo poo out his rear end again

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

orange juche posted:

He definitely releases TS/SCI info in press briefings, but i'm gonna go with the old standby of he's pulling poo poo out his rear end again

He's a racist game show host with the beliefs of a fox news grandpa. Right now, they're all eating up the theory that the virus was brought back to a Wuhan lab for study, as part of some weird SEE WE CAN ID RARE STUFF TOO and then it broke free of the lab and that's that.

So he hasn't seen a goddamn thing outside of twitter, fox news, and facebook posts.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

He's a racist game show host with the beliefs of a fox news grandpa. Right now, they're all eating up the theory that the virus was brought back to a Wuhan lab for study, as part of some weird SEE WE CAN ID RARE STUFF TOO and then it broke free of the lab and that's that.

So he hasn't seen a goddamn thing outside of twitter, fox news, and facebook posts.

Pretty much, I see some interesting things in my line of work, and I'm gonna go with he got it off fox news. Won't stop him from being all secret squirrel bullshit because it makes him feel important though,

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 30, 2020

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

orange juche posted:

ODNI put out a statement saying that the lab connection was bullshit, so I bet this came straight out of the moldy cheese in his head.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Notahippie posted:

ODNI put out a statement saying that the lab connection was bullshit, so I bet this came straight out of the moldy cheese in his head.

I don't even think mold would grow on it, tbh.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Patware posted:

I'm going to try to explain this to people without any stats or clinical knowledge.

The China study for remdesivir (RDV) stopped early because they had issues finding enough patients to try the drug on. As a result, they have small sample sizes, and much more uncertainty than they originally hoped. There was still some signs of a positive benefit to RDV treatment once the data was analyzed using the traditional statistical models for it (Cox proportional hazards models for groups based on intention to treat), but this "benefit" is still pretty uncertain due to the lack of test subjects in the China study. A secondary statistical analyses suggests that RDV helps patients recover considerably faster, but people look down on secondary statistical analyses, because it is much easier to lie with statistics when you can choose your own model instead of using the traditional model.

The good news is that the American study, which has many more patients involved, found a similar benefit using the traditional statistical models and has much less uncertainty from the much larger sample size. There were also a noticeable number of cases where the doctors stopped treatment of RDV early due to side effects. This is predicable as strong antivirals tend to be fairly toxic, with a real potential for nasty side effects.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Notahippie posted:

I think ODNI said it was not man-made / genetically altered, there’s a big difference

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Notahippie posted:

Not quite, ODNI said that the virus wasn't *manufactured* in a lab, so it wasn't man-made. ODNI hasn't weighed in on if it came from the wet markets, or got loose from a lab under study, or whatever the gently caress. But there's a serious upcoming problem of "conclusion shopping" because Donnie's merry band of dumbfucks are convinced that if they can prove China was at fault, he will get reelected because they'll somehow forget our own botched response.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Notahippie posted:

That’s not exactly what it said, the public statement was that the virus was probably not man-made or modified. There’s room in those words for it to be a release of a naturally occurring pathogen from a lab, and they are open to that possibility still.

https://mobile.twitter.com/verambergen/status/1255873429254832129

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Quoting myself from years ago, re: China weaponization.

Also, I think I covered it in here before but for the virus to have been an engineered bioweapon would have taken several simultaneous breakthroughs that Western labs have not achieved before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Sure, but look at all these past examples of manmade viruses: