Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

"supercocaine" was way funnier than I thought it would be...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Kind of "current eventy"

Does anyone have a good thread/source they are following for general virus news/stories? All I'm getting is what shows up on the news and this thread.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Here is my newest Current Event:

The city of Laredo has passed an ordinance that fines you $1,000 for NOT covering your mouth and nose in public.

Now I need to think about masks before my town does the same thing.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Stravag posted:

I bought something like this last year to make walking Kedah a possibility in peak pollen season. Dont think theyll really work with protecting against covid but is better than nothing and beats the fine.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B085T41QRY/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_MIIHEb0EHD98X

Theyve been bought up pretty hard since this started. Thankfully you can still get the replacement files relatively easy. Just bought a30 pack last week for like 20 bucks to help with this year's pollen

Yeah, my problem is everything I'm finding has a delivery time of around the end of April. Looks like I have to dig out the old gator, neck...

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

BigDave posted:

Does the Navy actually want a crew to mutiny?

Glad someone else was thinking the same thing...

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Remember how those hospital ships were going to help?

https://nypost.com/2020/04/07/crewmember-on-usns-comfort-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

Crew are testing positive for the virus.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Madurai posted:

He'd have to die so hard his death would be retroactive to a few years ago.

Boris stars in.... "Die Harder"

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Stravag posted:

Charlotte had like a week were people had almost entirely abandoned the roads between 7pm and 7am, traffic is coming back but is still not as heavy as it normally was. Nc is going to get hit really hard soon i think

I have a feeling that is going to be most places. I only go to the store when needed, keep my distance etc.

Then we have my HOA. They have decided to support local businesses and get a taco truck to show up for the community. While I am the FIRST guy to stuff my face with taco truck food, there is NO WAY, I am leaving my home to go to that. We have actual neighborhoods actively putting people in danger.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Someone school me on this:

How are local/state agencies making their predictions for cases? With testing being so low, how is a county saying they predict, say, 100,000 cases? Is it contact tracing of the cases they know? Did they take flu data an tweeked the numbers for the COVID rate of infection?

Bonus points if you have a link so I can learn more.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

Here's information on the IHME model out of the University of Washington that has been driving some talk: http://www.healthdata.org/covid/faqs

Another on how localities are partnering with universities to make their own models, with different assumptions, and why DC thinks the IHME model is bad: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/coronavirus-peak-dc-maryland-virginia/2020/04/03/0636bc6c-75cf-11ea-87da-77a8136c1a6d_story.html

Here's a longread about where the Trump presser model came from and why epidemiologists think the model was suspect / hot garbo https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/02/experts-trumps-advisers-doubt-white-houses-240000-coronavirus-deaths-estimate/

The trouble is that there's so much we don't know, and no federal government model/standard, and each model is based on assumptions, so localities are pulling from a gazillion different sources. We're so far behind that contact tracing really isn't A Thing in the hotspots.

Thanks!

Edit: Reply =/= quote...

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Can someone smart make someone not smart (like me) understand this?

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

What does that mean for the non-sciencey among us?

NOT a doctor.

My understanding is that the rate of infection is now believed to be 5.7. As in ONE infected person will infect 5.7 people. Previously agencies have said that the number was more like 2. A number of 2 drove them to do social distancing, close "non-essential" places, etc.

5.7 means China lifting the lock down on Wuhan is VERY bad.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

PeterCat posted:

Called my dad this morning, I want to have good conversations, but he comes up with "the news says that NYC is inflating the number of Covid deaths so they can get more Federal Funding." "Also, they aren't reporting any flu deaths or heart attacks and are just rolling the numbers into the covid total."

I almost had a "crack ping" moment from that and the drat malaria treatment poo poo.

Everyone has a friend that knows a guy who's brother is a doctor and it TOTALLY works.

I pointed out that if it was so good, NY would have less dead bodies. Then they claimed it wasn't from COVID. Now I'm waiting for it to be the dead are the 5G installers, who needed to be "disposed of" so it can come full circle.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Zamujasa posted:

The statements of "It's just a 2-3% fatality rate" always just. blow my mind.

In our overcrowded schools (just as an easily-digested example) that's already one kid per three classrooms. An entire section of a 10000-seat stadium.

Where the gently caress did we go so wrong.

I think it comes from two different things:

1. We are desensitized to death as a society.
2. I don't think people understand how many people 2-3% of the population is. If they used a "real" number, 6-9 million people, it might be different.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Has anyone found a site that compiles people who publicly speak out against the virus precautions and then, later, get the virus? I only ever see one offs from twitter, no repository of names.

It might be helpful to spam that out on a regular basis for some of my dumber "friends".

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

If only that site would load...

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

That Works posted:

No but here's another one.

Those bring me so much morbid joy...

In other news, we have an issue of great importance... Army made a decent recruitment video and they used NIN for the score...

https://twitter.com/USArmy/status/1252314925764153344

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Ataxerxes posted:

So you did get out after all, congratulations! Do something IT related if you can tolerate it, even during the pandemic the IT companies here are hiring all over the place.

Doubling down on this statement. IT is hiring ESPECIALLY on the west coast right now. My inbox is flooded with jobs from the west coast. Right now everyone wants python devs, security guys, and linux guys.

Get started with one of those, then if you get tired of pounding on keyboards, go the management route with ITIL, PMP/SCRUM, and claiming you are incharge of developers.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Yeah that is old, but it goes in the totally awesome category. Thanks for sharing that one.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Ardlen posted:

Poland and the Czech Republic are already in NATO.

But does that really matter any more? I have a hard time seeing our Dear Leader risking poo poo to help them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I found your link very useful