Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
April Fools!! https://twitter.com/loopnewstt/status/1244656376976195591?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Silver lining is that by the time hurricane season is in full swing you'll have a much clearer picture of how the plague is being handled

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Thank you for you're service

https://twitter.com/kairyssdal/status/1245811898873831424?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you give your cat a high quality food and brush em every once in a while the puking should be fairly rare. I mean you should do the same for your dogs too it's just that cats are very fastidious cleaners and if their coat is of poor quality it sheds and clumps more so they get more hairballs.

Dogs will just be gross and smelly until you do something about it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Remember that little slap fight about the WHO being owned by the PRC?

https://twitter.com/TencentGlobal/status/1244814309730865152

Well you don't need to argue about that when they're just gonna have a backdoor into the entire UN

MA-Horus posted:

Crack Mayor's brother (Premier of Ontario) is gonna be releasing Ontario's COVID-19 estimates today. He's already said "you deserve to know what I know", and that "the numbers are shocking and sobering".

Let's see if people finally get the message to STAY THE gently caress HOME. They had to put a by-law into effect here in Toronto imposing a $5000 fine if people not in the same household are within 2 meters of each other on purpose.

Really weird to see him vacillate between giant rear end in a top hat and competent crisis manager so quickly. something something the duality of man

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MA-Horus posted:

It's incredibly stark to see the difference between him and Jason Kenney (Alberta Premier). I don't like Doug on the best of days and I think the list of essential services here in Ontario is far too large. BUT, at heart Doug (and the Ford family in general) are populists (hosting Ford Fest every year), and I'm pretty sure someone sat down with him at the start of this (after his idiotic "go travel on your march break!" press conference) and gave him his "come to jesus" moment.

I took great pleasure in watching him get royally pissed at price gougers though.

To be fair ol' Kenney has to deal with $0 a barrel tar sand oil so he's got his hands full of his province literally falling apart

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Thinking about how Trudeau bought a pipeline running through the BC rainforest for 4.5 billion dollars and Albertan oil is worth $0

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

davecrazy posted:

Dallas Mask masker won’t ramp up production because he’s afraid of being on the hook for unemployment after the crisis ends and he has to compete with China on price and loses business.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/wat...247-guess-again

The article says he ramped up production for Swine Flu and was promised contracts by American hospitals who promptly ditched him for Chinese suppliers and he almost went bankrupt. Love capitalism!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-04/italy-daily-virus-fatalities-fall-to-681-lowest-since-march-26

quote:

Italy saw 681 new coronavirus fatalities on Saturday, including a police officer in Premier Giuseppe Conte’s security team, while authorities warned a return to normality in the country remains distant.

The daily toll was the lowest since March 26 and fell from 766 Friday, according to civil protection data. There were 4,805 new confirmed cases, an increase from 4585 a day earlier.

It's hosed up how 681 deaths in one day is a good sign because it's less than 766 the day before

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Icon Of Sin posted:

It’s an antibiotic, it was never going to do anything for a virus.

HCQ is an anti-malarial as well as a DMARD (Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatoid Drug). Because it suppresses the immune system the theory goes that it will stop the cytokine storm that kills people with robust immune system from happening. It's not a particularly wrong hypothesis to test.

e: The run on HCQ supply is particularly egregious because people with Rheumatoid Arthritis and other similar auto-immune diseases need them on a daily basis to function. Imagine not having access to the pill that makes it so that your knees and ankles don't feel like flaming knives digging into every gap of your joints so you can get up and live a normal life or even just make it to the washroom so you don't poo poo yourself because a bunch of Trump listening morons bought them all out for a fake cure.

Eej fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 5, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
As a pharmacist all I can say is "haha that'll never work, x is a y type of drug!!" will eventually get egg in your face

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I forgot to mention, azithromycin is used for its respiratory anti inflammatory effect in COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, aka what happens to the lungs of long term smokers) so this isn't actually a wild shot in the dark.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

shame on an IGA posted:

Washington Times is a Unification Church owned rag with less credibility than tucker carlson

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kazinsal posted:

Probably a D victory in November. Without the cult of personality around Trump the Republican party will end up being just the old white boys club again. I don't know if Pence would be able to survive the debate process. Biden is good enough for a lot of people on both sides of the fence.

That or they suspend the election and the GOP seizes absolute power.

Weird way for Gilead to come into being but I can see it

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gotta crack a few nursing homes to make a UBI omelette

https://twitter.com/TheMendozaWoman/status/1247121283264978947?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ron_paul.gif

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/tank_egg/status/1247271450328719361

I spiced up the video with the good news

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

quote:

Donald Trump has said he asked US pharmaceutical companies working on experimental coronavirus drugs to approach Boris Johnson’s doctors and offer their help, after it emerged that the British prime minister was in intensive care.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/trump-i-have-asked-us-pharma-ceos-to-offer-johnson-experimental-covid-19-treatments

I can't believe Donald Trump is going to assassinate another head of state with HCQ poisoning

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1247719681483509761

probably bad

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The bad news is the undocumented slave class of Saudi Arabia lives packed together like sardines. The good news is that the kingdom finally has to give them recognition and offer testing and treatment. But only because the filthy masses could easily get royals killed. Silver linings huh.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Aw man, the husband of the grandma who invited the wrong kid over for Thanksgiving died to Covid

https://twitter.com/kingjamal08/status/1248097922069041152?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If the Expanse is correct mining anything at all is a huge pain in the rear end and a giant water boulder will smash the gently caress out of your arm and you can't do anything about it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1248966531679047680

Okay this one seems probably not good for real this time. Another article on the same thing indicates that coronavirus travels on shoes very easily and the pharmacy of the hospital which had no patients in it tested 100% for coronavirus on the floor.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/neontaster/status/1249800616475582469?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/RobertKlemko/status/1249716012599083010?s=19

America praying for an end to school shootings and Uncle Xi is I'm cooking something up for that one

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Real people named it Cascadia.

It's only Cascadia when you useless west coast states confirm the abolition of DST so our lazy Premier will follow suit

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
People in Vancouver are doing it every 7PM and people have graduated from yelling and hitting pots and pans to using airhorns and setting off firecrackers. The closest hospital to me is over 3km away and behind a hill.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

bengy81 posted:

I really can't believe that people are willing to sacrifice grandma Betty just because they can't get a margarita at Chili's.

American Exceptionalism.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
China increases its Wuhan death toll by 50 per cent after reassessing cases

quote:

“In the early stage, due to limited hospital capacity and the shortage of medical staff, a few medical institutions failed to connect with local disease control and prevention systems in a timely manner, which resulted in delayed reporting of confirmed cases and some failures to count patients accurately,” state media cited an unidentified Wuhan official as saying.

quote:

“Medical workers at some facilities might have been preoccupied with saving lives and there existed delayed reporting, underreporting or misreporting, but there has never been any cover-up and we do not allow cover-ups,” he said.

Too busy SAVING LIVES to count numbers like some number crunching nerd

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1250728138327261185?s=19

Hey this time they can't actually say the milk can't be pasteurized on time!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ah in answer to the tweet I posted

USDA to try 'out of the box' solution to get food from farmers to food banks

quote:

The Trump administration will spend $19 billion on a relief program for farmers struggling during the novel coronavirus pandemic, including a new approach to send billions of dollars of agricultural products to food banks and other organizations around the country.

“Our farmers, ranchers, we have, these are great people. Great Americans. Never complain. They never complain. They just do what they have to do. The program will include direct payments to farmers as well as mass purchases of dairy, meat and agricultural produce, to get that food to the people in need,” President Donald Trump said at Friday night’s briefing.

Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said $16 billion of the program would be in direct payments to farmers who have experienced losses during the pandemic and will spend $3 billion to buy agricultural products. The program will begin by purchasing $100 million a month each in fresh fruits and vegetables, dairy products, and meat products.

“Having to dump milk or plow under vegetables ready to market is not only financially distressing, but it's heartbreaking as well to those who produce them. This program will not only provide direct financial relief to our farmers and ranchers. Mr. President, it will allow for the purchase and distribution of our agricultural abundance in this country to help our fellow Americans in need,” Perdue said.

“In recent weeks, we’ve seen, all of us have seen the heroic patriotism of our food supply chain workers that have shown day in and day out, doing the work to serve the needs of fellow Americans,” he said.

Perdue said the plan includes an “out of the box” solution to some of the disruptions in the supply chain by using commercial distributors like Cisco to package bulk products into a “pre-approved box” of dairy, meat and produce products. He said the approach hopes to use those companies’ employees to help take some of the workload from food banks that report they are short on volunteers to help with the incredible demand.

“If you don't mind the pun, this is an out of the box example of what we're trying to do. It is new and different. We've never done this before but in realigning the supply. Much of the conversation you've heard about milk dumping has been to do with the dual processing system we have in this country,” he told reporters on a call Friday night.

He did not directly answer if this was a version of the Harvest Box program the department has proposed in previous budgets, to significant scrutiny from lawmakers, advocates, and food bank operators, and if that will slow down the process.

Sen. John Hoeven, chairman of the Senate Ag Appropriations Committee, released more details on the breakdown of direct payments to farmers. He says payments will account for 85% of farmers and ranchers’ losses between Jan. 1 and April 15, 2020. Perdue said they are pushing to have those relief checks out by the end of May.

“We’re grateful to President Trump and Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue for working together to come to the aid of America’s farmers and ranchers. The coronavirus pandemic forced the closing of restaurants, schools and college cafeterias, causing commodity prices to fall off a cliff and serious disruptions to food supply chains," Duvall said in a statement. "This $16 billion in aid will help keep food on Americans’ tables by providing a lifeline to farm families that were already hit by trade wars and severe weather.

“Farmers and ranchers proudly accept the responsibility of feeding this nation and it's heartbreaking to be forced to dispose of milk and plow under crops of fresh food at a time when others are going hungry. We also appreciate the additional funding from other sources to help deliver food from farms to food banks," he continued. “We look forward to additional details about how the aid will be distributed.”

The nation's largest operator of food banks, Feeding America, also applauded the announcement. Along with the Farm Bureau, the groups have asked the USDA to consider ways to get food directly from farmers to food banks more quickly and expand SNAP benefits to Americans so they can buy food from local retailers. SNAP programs provide nine meals for every one donation provided to a food bank.

“We are still examining the details, but this effort has the potential to be a significant food resource for people facing hunger," Claire Babineaux-Fontenot, CEO of Feeding America, said. "This program is designed to ensure nutritious food from growers and producers makes it on to the tables of our neighbors now when they need it most. We look forward to working closely with USDA on how to most efficiently operationalize the plan in the coming days.”

USDA has taken a number of other actions to expand food assistance including the Pandemic EBT program that provides cash assistance to families, allowing states to operate disaster school lunch programs to distribute meals to families outside of the school setting, and expanding the number of states where SNAP recipients can use their benefits to buy food online.

I'm sure there's some ridiculous grift in here somewhere

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Seems like gobbledygook to me but isn't that like a Conflict or is Conflict fake like all other laws nowadays

https://twitter.com/SamSacks/status/1251562465961414657

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My cats are super excited that I'm always at home for them to sleep on or tap for food on demand

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/NEJM/status/1251571193984847874

lmao at hospitals having to do Fast & Furious style heists to get their PPEs to their destination before the feds catch them and detain them

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/johnnyxochoa/status/1251599018393829379

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
This kind of mentality exists everywhere but the real problem is how prevalent and weaponized it is in America. South Korea had "you can't quarantine me!!" protests at the start but then everyone fell in line afterwards. Possibly because they rolled out testing and contract tracing extremely fast so they never actually had to do a full lockdown.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

When you accidentally leave snap to grid on when setting up graduation

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Futures are basically video game preorders you can buy and sell freely except the value of your preorder fluctuates based on the market.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'll have you know it's my right as an american to purchase battleship-caliber shells

Goofy walkin' with my concealed carry USS Missouri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Poor Outlook posted:

It's a cult of personality. In the same way Steve Jobs got people to work for nothing and spend all their time at work, I would imagine that communists leaders did something similar. Working towards a common goal feels good. It's the fundamental difference between east and west thinking in the Cold War.

I would also highly recommend The Americans. It's about the KGB and why blue jeans and Ronald Regan being absolutely willing to end life on earth 'won' the Cold War.

In the Thanksgiving video one of the guys (he's actually in all 3) talks about how in his hometown he was very happy because he felt fulfilled just doing his duty and was unaware of the lies and activities of his government. Conversely in South Korea he enjoys his freedoms but finds happiness itself to be far more difficult to attain.