Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They should’ve passed a multibillion dollar cruise ship bailout to be divided between all US flagged ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lightpole posted:

They do this with MSP money to account for the increased cost of US mariners. Trying to get any increases passed on at contract time is impossible, companies insist it's their money. What I'm saying is NCL doesnt need that much money.

Sure but the joke is you can allocate infinity dollars for US flagged cruise ships because there aren’t any.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Its from 2014 but it is evergreen.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hawaii probably needs a serious bailout right now so it might not even have been a bad idea! Though I guess that'd flow through to Norweigan cruise lines...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

Was the Mercy the ship used as a prison/torture ship by the CIA or were those different boats? I can't even remember all the crimes anymore.

The USNS Mercy and Comfort are giant ships that scream "USA USA USA" and are painted white.

So 50/50 chance. CIA usually at least maintains some deniability though, I would assume they'd use some random container ship?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chichevache posted:

It says "unless their is imminent danger to the EMT", so as long as the family threatens to hurt them the EMT can bring them to the hospital for treatment. I don't foresee this system being abused in any way.

The “treatment” is the attending at the ER calling a time of death

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Does it define “gas mask” or “emergency”?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

We're now at the point in Trumpland where the MSM is purposely attacking chloroquine and letting people die just to hurt Trump:
https://twitter.com/WashTimes/status/1245777574862749698

Looks like it just barely beat out “nothing” so there may be a lot of “well it doesn’t seem to be making things worse” going on

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arrath posted:

Lets say a supercarrier is to mutiny and become some roving mercenary for hire/pirate group. Would sinking it actually be an option? Wait for it to come to shore to resupply? Wait for it to need to refuel?

How often does a carrier need more JP-5? I'd figure pretty often? I mean, unless you don't use any aircraft...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Really the error lies with the navy for naming a ship after an O-6 that did exactly the same thing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Biden wants to compromise with McConnell on justices so I’m not actually seeing a good option in November.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Here:

https://twitter.com/mj_lee/status/1247541685573148675?s=19

There are somewhat early signs that New York is hitting their peak earlier than expected, with a lower peak than expected.

Deaths are the most lagging indicator, the current best indicator for where things actually are involve new hospitalizations and new ICU admissions. Both are significantly down in the past few days. Hospitalizations/ICU admissions are also lagging indicators, tracking back to how successful the mitigation actions were 2-3 weeks ago. There's significant evidence that social distancing is working and a lot of models are getting more optimistic.

Get better TCD's dad.

This doesn't just mean that hospitals are full, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Last I heard Centralia may have burned itself out.... nobody has really checked.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Looking at the current information about it I was probably thinking of the part of it near Byrnsdale. The "fire" is actually 4 separate ones and theres 3 definite fronts still going.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

2.3 uSv/h. Not great but not terrible either.

Seriously, its "only" 20mSv if you stayed there an entire year.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fallom posted:

Did people think Bernie was still going to get the nomination? He lost a month ago.

It was still technically possible, but the more important thing at the moment is that if he had broken some delegate threshold he'd have more power in drafting portions of the platform. By dropping out below that threshold, Biden delegates will be the only delegates able to propose additions to the platform. In other words, :rip: to all the delegate/superdelegate changes from 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

(Which involved unwanted kisses and groping as "jokes").

Uh, Biden is on film doing this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Semi-log plots are good and useful. On the other hand, I recall a prof saying "everything plots as a straight line on a log-log graph."

Minor exception: frequency response functions

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Also a couple of shoes.

Based on his shoe reaction time he would've tossed the grenade back at whoever threw it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

Bush should just signed with the Astros as a relief pitcher, we would have all been off a lot better.

Other parallel universe options include MLB commissioner dubya making everyone forget about steroids using folksy charm.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There's an alternate universe where Bush is MLB commissioner and Rice is NFL commissioner and that is a much, much happier universe than ours.

Unless Jeb!/Cheney won in 2000

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Missed an opportunity to say "social distancing and using appropriate PPE"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

The Northern Ohio Reich (THE Ohio States?)

Naming 90% of the big 10 after Ohio seems like a good way to start a war

edit: toledo war 2: “not it”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bengy81 posted:

I really can't believe that people are willing to sacrifice grandma Betty just because they can't get a margarita at Chili's.

Grandma Betty seems to be the one that wants to sacrifice herself. Younger people are the ones taking quarantine seriously.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Sometimes I wonder if there are alternatives to limiting the military's talent pool by only promoting from within and then remember what a shitshow the failson officer corps were in WW1

This thinking results in Pete Buttgieg direct comissioning as an O-3 based on an MBA

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The concern might be for enforcement?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Did Cushing, OK fill up to 100% causing this crash?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

it's dropped as low as -$35 a barrel.

WTI has gotten that low before?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

This is one of those cases where the bullshit of the stock market makes my brain hurt, so I can't mentally comprehend ETFs, even though I've been explains how they work, what they do, and how poo poo goes fucky when they go sideways.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimcollins/2020/04/20/the-us-oil-etf-uso-is-the-culprit-behind-oils-massive-plunge/amp/

Its best to go all the way back to the fundamentals of futures and work forward. ie, futures exist so someone that makes a physical commodity can be sure that they'll get a certain price for a product they want to extract/grow/produce/etc now. ie, if I'm a hog farmer, I sell futures for pork bellies so I can be sure that someone will take all the hogs off my hands when they grow up. Same thing for oil - if you're an oil producer you want to be able to have some certainty about a minimum price for what you're taking out of the ground or else you just turn things off. What everyone is talking about is a contract for people to take delivery of oil of a certain grade from a certain region of the US at a certain place during the month of May. So if you buy this contract, you're responsible for having a truck or time on a pipeline ready at Cushing, Oklahoma ready to take delivery of so many barrels of oil some time in May. You're not buying a literal barrel of oil - you're buying oil to fill a barrel you take up to the spigot (so to speak).

These contracts usually have some value because oil is a valuable commodity so people bundle those contracts into things that can be traded on the market. Now you have people buying oil contracts that don't actually want to take delivery of the oil so you build a gently caress off giant tank farm at the place of delivery and store any oil that is delivered until people sell it again. Thats fine because oil always has SOME value right? The worst case scenario is you just let it go to the refineries for almost nothing. Except - what happens if the unthinkable happens and nobody wants to take the oil away from there and the tanks all fill up? You're now on the hook to have a truck or whatever at a terminal in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma and to accept a bunch of toxic waste you are now violating a bunch of federal laws by incorrectly accepting.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

NOW I get it. Also why previous days' news articles were talking about how a lot of oil storage people are basically floating oil on barges in the middle of nowhere, just sitting there.

Do you happen to know the consequences of breaking one of those contracts?

Not sure. I'm looking at the details for the first time and I found the actual contract information: https://www.cmegroup.com/content/dam/cmegroup/rulebook/NYMEX/2/200.pdf

Apparently you do actually have to have a pipeline ready to accept the oil at the time, you can't just have a truck there (though I'm sure you could work something out with an operator). Minimum unit for delivery is 1000 barrels too.

edit: i guess defaults would be under hte general rules, either way i'm assuming its along the lines of "you can't do this again" which would be a problem if you're running an oil ETF which is what most people do when they buy "oil"

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 20, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I can't just buy one?

Usually when you buy "oil" you're buying a share of an "electronically traded fund" which means that you're actually buying something from someone offering to take care of all those pesky issues for you.

Those people seem to be in trouble!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

For some reason I'm reminded of the streak eagle's flight profile for time to altitude records...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This is an amazing bit of terrible law drafting.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Can you imagine President Biden negotiating a state bankruptcy bill with Mitch McConnell? Trump would seriously be friendlier to state government!

Though Biden requiring state legislatures sit through a class about how they should all stop buying Starbucks lattes or whatever the gently caress that requirement is would be darkly hilarious

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

It's also possible that the apartment management is blowing poo poo out of proportion. I've lived in poo poo holes that tried to charge me for the dryer vent hole that their maintenance people put in.

That message really sounds like someone did something incredibly stupid and flooded an apartment.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Local campaigning is how AOC won by surprise so it absolutely does at the local level.

I understand the feeling though because based on the democratic primary it does look like campaigns are useless.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Navy Leaders Recommend Reinstating Roosevelt Captain Fired Over Virus Warning Navy leaders request early retirement from Trump admin

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/us/politics/coronavirus-navy-roosevelt-brett-crozier.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BUG JUG posted:

Cool that the government was ok giving a trident back to a convicted criminal but absolutely will not bring back a Captain whose only crimes were the normal ones committed by nobles.

He made the president look bad, that’s treason!

...the president is a king right

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

For certain parts of the left, "centrist" and "liberal" have become meaningless snarl words.

"Liberal" is the mainstream of the democratic establishment, "centrist" refers to the "third way" types - the right wing of the democratic party.

The current overton window is skewed so far right that "liberals" would be at home with the loving torries in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trump would somehow beat up lowtax like uwe boll did