Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Patware posted:

still no proof that it's not just november 1248th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

It's a term of art mostly used in legal writing to describe why someone believes an alleged fact. Ex. Based upon information and belief on or about November 09 2013 Donald J. Trump paid two prostitutes to urinate upon his hotel room bed.

Makes me think a staffer wrote it.

It's the "Since the dawn of time," of patrol cop incident reports

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

5,800,000 new unemployment claims this week, watch the market close green.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've always loved that The Monkees are at least kinda self aware: From an interview about that album launch:

"Man if you went to a 50'th anniversary gig when we were starting out you'd have been at an Al Jolson show or something, this is crazy"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ASAPI posted:

Here is my newest Current Event:

The city of Laredo has passed an ordinance that fines you $1,000 for NOT covering your mouth and nose in public.

Now I need to think about masks before my town does the same thing.

lol in SC it's illegal to wear masks in public and there's no medical exemption

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Oh unquestionably, the very next line is about flaming crosses

quote:

ARTICLE 3

Offenses Tending to Breach of Peace

SECTION 16-7-110. Wearing masks and the like.

No person over sixteen years of age shall appear or enter upon any lane, walk, alley, street, road, public way or highway of this State or upon the public property of the State or of any municipality or county in this State while wearing a mask or other device which conceals his identity. Nor shall any such person demand entrance or admission to or enter upon the premises or into the enclosure or house of any other person while wearing a mask or device which conceals his identity. Nor shall any such person, while wearing a mask or device which conceals his identity, participate in any meeting or demonstration upon the private property of another unless he shall have first obtained the written permission of the owner and the occupant of such property.

HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 16-114; 1952 Code Section 16-114; 1951 (47) 132.

SECTION 16-7-120. Placing burning or flaming cross in public place.

It shall be unlawful for any person to place or to cause to be placed in a public place in the State a burning or flaming cross or any manner of exhibit in which a burning or flaming cross, real or simulated, is the whole or a part or to place or cause to be placed on the property of another in the State a burning or flaming cross or any manner of exhibit in which a burning or flaming cross, real or simulated, is the whole or a part, without first obtaining written permission of the owner or occupier of the premises so to do.

HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 16-116; 1952 Code Section 16-116; 1951 (47) 132.

SECTION 16-7-130. Exceptions to Sections 16-7-110 and 16-7-120.

The provisions of Sections 16-7-110 and 16-7-120 shall not affect the following:

(1) Any person wearing traditional holiday costume;

(2) Any person engaged in a trade or employment in which a mask is worn for the purpose of ensuring the physical safety of the wearer or because of the nature of the occupation, trade or profession;

(3) Any person using a mask in a theatrical production or masquerade ball; or

(4) Any person wearing a gas mask prescribed in a civil defense drill or exercise or in an emergency.

HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 16-115; 1952 Code Section 16-115; 1951 (47) 132.

of course that seems to leave an opening for anyone wearing a dust mask while doing paid landscaping to burn all the crosses they want...

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 2, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

pantslesswithwolves posted:

So after months of hearing that masks were ineffective at preventing people from contracting COVID (but could help minimize the spread by containing droplets) now all of the talking heads are starting to say that we need to wear masks at all times. How is anyone supposed to interpret this as anything but desperation and grasping at straws at this point?

Emergence of evidence that initial viral load dose matters at the outset of any given individual infection. While an improvised mask won't prevent infection, blocking 30 - 80% of the virus particles in the cough that gets you, does buy your immune system more time and correlates to better outcomes.

The evidence is that hospital workers who are swimming in the poo poo have dramatically higher mortality vs. the general population :smith:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

In a similar vein, Nikki Haley is an awful person but she was clutch as hell during hurricanes and I want her back.

Regarding Cuomo, the last time a NY pol stepped up to fill an incompetent white house's leadership vacuum during a national crisis everyone wanted to appoint Rudy Giuliani king, how's that aged?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That Works posted:

Sure but making masks aint exactly Liberty ships either

Yeah liberty ships are easier

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

why are they making this so complicated, just put a t-shirt over your head, line up the hole so you can see out and tie the sleeves together

also, definitely loving "GOT NALOXONE?" in a us gov publication when special licensing and per-doctor patient caps make that nearly impossible

e: nevermind, confused with suboxone

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 4, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BurningChrome posted:

What is it with Kennedy's and dying? Shocked a Cessna ain't involved this time.

Took a canoe into 3' seas at sunset with an 8 year old

If it was any other family we'd eventually get confirmation it was a murder-suicide.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Midjack posted:

Technology will someday allow us to create a violin small enough to play over this.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

You're wrong about this bit, but otherwise, yep.

The federal stockpile is operating as normal and it's direct federal-to-state transfers, no companies involved, but it's basically out. The trouble is that the feds (Donnie) can't figure out if they want to nationalize all of the replenishment requirements, or half-rear end it. So, states are bidding against states bidding against the feds, high bid wins until the poo poo gets delivered.

Donnie's trying to avoid the responsibility for the shortages, but his people are still Doing Things and buying/sending poo poo to the high-population states (or, red states!), so the low-priority states are literally working AROUND the feds to get their poo poo in secret.

It's kinda hosed!

lol if it's just a straight up bidding war all the red states like mine that don't believe in taxes are even more turbofucked. Market Based Solutions!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Having learned from Sanders' efforts, Joe Biden will be hosting a virtual fireside chat next week.

The link to watch costs $2800

https://secure.joebiden.com/onlineactions/lksKMIfCBUKi1-gGNZjPig2?fbclid=IwAR0v_se-D8317FXKSHQpIRgG4xfMSLrmjprQYzaCQ_-6Pglir5HMFJ7mLSk

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Well now that that pump has dumped guess it's on to camostat. Make sure you tell any friends with pancreatitis to stock up now before Donnie tweets about it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

Not growing up with a religious background, it's always interesting to come across a new phrase that is apparently utterly innocuous to the person saying it that makes me :yikes:

Welcome to Calvinism!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R52heyok9Ps

E: that second song, "I'll Fly Away" legit owns tho, IMO this is the all-time definitive version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvO-nIh63LA

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 5, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

egyptian rat race posted:

I legitimately regret not buying the "Calvinist by choice" shirt I saw a few years back

She'll wait for you.

https://www.idakoos.com/calvinist-by-choice+tshirt?srch=1

e: oh poo poo this one's even better

https://www.idakoos.com/didnt-ask-to-calvinist-just-got-lucky+tshirt,929962

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 5, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Washington Times is a Unification Church owned rag with less credibility than tucker carlson

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who is bill mitchell exactly because boy howdy I hate him

He's just some guy but then Mitt Romney read a tweet on Kimmel and all the other chuds started following him

that's literally the entire origin story

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

I can't wait to find out some day why this particular drug has managed to implant itself in his rotting swiss cheese dementia brain as a super cure. Is it narcissistic "I know best as I am eternal, infallible and all knowing"? Is he in on a grift somewhere making personal money off the sales rush? Is it the authoritarian strong man desire to have a cure to the deep state Democrat hoax that will be gone after 15 cases? There's just so many wonderful possibilities for how it's a self-serving lie I can't choose.

He gets to pronounce the big word and look smart, that's it, that's the whole story.

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/MarkLevineNYC/s...ingawful.com%2F

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sacrist65 posted:

Yesterday, I had someone tell me that if they look at all of the younger people dying from this they would find that they vaped or something that they brought on themselves. I cant decide if it was victim blaming or "they were no angel" line of authoritarian thought.

The same person was saying its just the flu last week.

His wife was going on about that lupus medicine and the antibiotic cocktail like it was a cure all.

Facebook is a brain disease.

It's not facebook, it's the hypervirulent strain of just world theory that's been circulating in the evangelical community for half a century cutting the gordian knot of theodicy by declaring that bad things don't happen to good people so if bad things happen to you then you are ipso facto a bad person

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

When one of theirs dies it was part of God's unknowable plan.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Red Crown posted:

Reported text of acting SECNAV's address to TR over 1MC

this one gets a "holy loving yikes" from me

(I don't think anyone would lie when making this transcript, but it would have to have been made real time by someone in the ship's company)

"And let me tell ya something, the only reason we are dealing with this right now is a big authoritarian regime called China was not forthcoming about what was happening with this virus and they put the world at risk to protect themselves and their reputations. We don't do that in the Navy."

:laffo:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ironic historical echo: Theodore Roosevelt himself once did exactly what Crozier did.

quote:

"MAJOR-GENERAL SHAFTER.   

SIR: In a meeting of the general and medical officers called by you at the Palace this morning we were all, as you know, unanimous in our views of what should be done with the army. To keep us here, in the opinion of every officer commanding a division or a brigade, will simply involve the destruction of thousands. There is no possible reason for not shipping practically the entire command North at once. Yellow-fever cases are very few in the cavalry division, where I command one of the two brigades, and not one true case of yellow fever has occurred in this division, except among the men sent to the hospital at Siboney, where they have, I believe, contracted it. But in this division there have been 1,500 cases of malarial fever. Hardly a man has yet died from it, but the whole command is so weakened and shattered as to be ripe for dying like rotten sheep, when a real yellow-fever epidemic instead of a fake epidemic, like the present one, strikes us, as it is bound to do if we stay here at the height of the sickness season, August and the beginning of September. Quarantine against malarial fever is much like quarantining against the toothache.   
All of us are certain that as soon as the authorities at Washington fully appreciate the condition of the army, we shall be sent home. If we are kept here it will in all human possibility mean an appalling disaster, for the surgeons here estimate that over half the army, if kept here during the sickly season, will die. This is not only terrible from the stand-point of the individual lives lost, but it means ruin from the stand-point of military efficiency of the flower of the American army, for the great bulk of the regulars are here with you. The sick list, large though it is, exceeding four thousand, affords but a faint index of the debilitation of the army. Not twenty per cent. are fit for active work.   

Six weeks on the North Maine coast, for instance, or elsewhere where the yellow-fever germ cannot possibly propagate, would make us all as fit as fighting-cocks, as able as we are eager to take a leading part in the great campaign against Havana in the fall, even if we are not allowed to try Porto Rico.   

We can be moved North, if moved at once, with absolute safety to the country, although, of course, it would have been infinitely better if we had been moved North or to Porto Rico two weeks ago. If there were any object in keeping us here, we would face yellow fever with as much indifference as we faced bullets. But there is no object.   

The four immune regiments ordered here are sufficient to garrison the city and surrounding towns, and there is absolutely nothing for us to do here, and there has not been since the city surrendered. It is impossible to move into the interior. Every shifting of camp doubles the sick-rate in our present weakened condition, and, anyhow, the interior is rather worse than the coast, as I have found by actual reconnoissance. Our present camps are as healthy as any camps at this end of the island can be.   

I write only because I cannot see our men, who have fought so bravely and who have endured extreme hardship and danger so uncomplainingly, go to destruction without striving so far as lies in me to avert a doom as fearful as it is unnecessary and undeserved.

Yours respectfully,
THEODORE ROOSEVELT,
Colonel Commanding,
Second Cavalry Brigade."

Roosevelt delivered the letter to Shafter, but, presumably not convinced the corps commander would act on it in a timely fashion, also allegedly handed a copy of it to the Associated Press correspondent who was covering the Cuba beat. That correspondent quickly cabled the letter to AP headquarters and it published nationwide the same day.

The public outcry was overwhelming and unanimous in accusing the McKinley Administration of not caring about the troops. McKinley summoned his Secretary of War, Russell A. Alger, and vented his fury that the letter was leaked and ordered him to do what he could to make the problem go away. Alger ordered the Navy to send transport ships to retrieve Fifth Corps from Cuba and the Army to ready facilities at Camp Wikoff on Long Island to house the stricken soldiers once they arrived back in the United States.

Alger demurred when asked by the press whether the leak had caused him to react faster than he otherwise would have; however, he was on record as previously having asserted that no ships were available to bring Fifth Corps back from Cuba.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 6, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

In unrelated news, Amazon reports streaming demand for "Battleship Potemkin" on Guam suddenly up 47,000%

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Green Imperialism definitely a step up from... whatever the hell this is

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hahaha that's the secnav?

motherfucker looks like the bastard child of McNamara and The Beast Rabban

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If anyone doesn't know about the Doom Roguelike, it's real good.

Shotgun build 4 lyf

https://drl.chaosforge.org/downloads

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This is a weird press conference even by trump standards

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

he sounds... conciliatory and cooperative

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Corporate america normalizing rent strikes continues to be the funniest and best part of this whole situation. Cheesecake Factory welcomes you to the revolution, comrade.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/12...ingawful.com%2F

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I keep saying this but the last time a NY pol stepped up to fill a leadership void from the white house during a national crisis everyone wanted to appoint Rudy Giuliani god-emperor.

How's that plan aged?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

211 users banned as of this post and the number keeps rising :lol:

It's slowed down since Lightning Knight's lunch break ended but they'll reach me eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-6i8UTZ4VE

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

how is he so good at this

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/statu...ingawful.com%2F

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hey heads up if you're in the gulf states, forecast models are setting up for a major tornado outbreak this weekend

discussion starts at that post but read to the end and that thread is a great bookmark generally.

Carmant posted:

If you live in MS it's time to start prepping your doomsday bunker:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

gently caress that we're mining The Sun

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

yeah it owns too much to change back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

They kinda have, the republicans have been forcing them them blow a massive hole in their budget by overfunding their pension plan for about a decade as an effort to sabotage the one thing left people can point to and say the government does well

How Congress Manufactured A Postal Crisis

quote:

In 2006, Congress passed a law that imposed extraordinary costs on the U.S. Postal Service. The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA) required the USPS to create a $72 billion fund to pay for the cost of its post-retirement health care costs, 75 years into the future. This burden applies to no other federal agency or private corporation.

If the costs of this retiree health care mandate were removed from the USPS financial statements, the Post Office would have reported operating profits in each of the last six years. This extraordinary mandate created a financial “crisis” that has been used to justify harmful service cuts and even calls for postal privatization. Additional cuts in service and privatization would be devastating for millions of postal workers and customers.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 10, 2020