Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

The finger on the monkeys paw curls and we get a section where you play as Rufus but it's just you struggling into your ridiculous pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
What the heck is up with Rufus anyway.

Like everyone else at Shinra has stylish suits like the Turks and here's this rear end in a top hat wearing the leftovers from Nomura's teen years.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

WaltherFeng posted:

Like everyone else at Shinra has stylish suits like the Turks and here's this rear end in a top hat wearing the leftovers from Nomura's teen years.

He's the VP and hates his dad something fierce.

"Oh, you want me to wear a suit in public, dad? Want me to dress professional?"

*Blows a ridiculous amount of gil on the most obnoxious custom suit possible*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

his coat was kind of ridiculous even in his original character art, he's just got a few more layers to it now

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

Rufus was exiled from Shinra for a long time for conspiring with the original AVALANCHE and hates his dad.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

WaltherFeng posted:

Just a point that Rufus's suit is a Roberto Ferarri dealie.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

So I'm playing through the chapters in order again, and something I still haven't wrapped my head around 100% is why in Remake, Avalanche initially decides not to take Cloud on the Reactor 5 bombing mission, versus the original, where Cloud's included on the Reactor 5 team from the beginning (if I remember right). In Remake Jessie mentions that it's because they didn't want to put so much on Cloud, that it was Avalanche's fight.

Could it have been because Cloud brings up 'invisible enemies' during the train ride back from the first bombing mission, and that makes Avalanche wonder if Cloud's going crazy? That would be the only meaningful divergence that Avalanche had seen up to that point. Otherwise a lot of the differences between original and Remake can be directly or indirectly tied back to interventions by Sephiroth/the Whispers.

Of course, this could have all been spelled out in one of the interviews that's been published, and I've just missed it.

---

It is interesting playing through Remake from beginning to end again, having read all the additional info and interpretation that has come out in the last three months, as well as re-reading up on the original. For example, Tifa's reaction to Cloud saying it's been five years since they've seen each other, or all the times Cloud gets his cognitive dissonance headaches.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paper Tiger posted:

So I'm playing through the chapters in order again, and something I still haven't wrapped my head around 100% is why in Remake, Avalanche initially decides not to take Cloud on the Reactor 5 bombing mission, versus the original, where Cloud's included on the Reactor 5 team from the beginning (if I remember right). In Remake Jessie mentions that it's because they didn't want to put so much on Cloud, that it was Avalanche's fight.

Could it have been because Cloud brings up 'invisible enemies' during the train ride back from the first bombing mission, and that makes Avalanche wonder if Cloud's going crazy? That would be the only meaningful divergence that Avalanche had seen up to that point. Otherwise a lot of the differences between original and Remake can be directly or indirectly tied back to interventions by Sephiroth/the Whispers.

Of course, this could have all been spelled out in one of the interviews that's been published, and I've just missed it.

---

It is interesting playing through Remake from beginning to end again, having read all the additional info and interpretation that has come out in the last three months, as well as re-reading up on the original. For example, Tifa's reaction to Cloud saying it's been five years since they've seen each other, or all the times Cloud gets his cognitive dissonance headaches.

Honestly it's pretty reasonable that it's either due to Sephiroth or to the Whispers. Sephiroth lures Cloud off-track to the point the Whispers need to hold Aerith in place long enough for her to meet Cloud, which means Cloud's timetable was off and it's possible he even took longer to get on the train than previous which was enough to make Barrett doubt him more when he didn't before. It's worth noting the first big divergence is that Cloud isn't invited into their underground lair so there is less trust than was before.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
they also didn't really have the money to pay Cloud for another mission

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I really wanted to see that underground lair :mad:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Continuing the Sephiroth discussion from the General thread:

I mean, it seems like there were three options with Sephiroth here:

1. Straight remake. We would not even see Sephiroth in the entire game (or close to it, if they decided to throw in a flashback snippet or vision). This was unrealistic to expect, not just because "Sephiroth is popular and people will want to see him", but because as the first part in an X part series, they wanted to establish the overarching villain in part 1. If they didn't, part 1 would feel almost totally disconnected from the rest of the series- Midgar is so self-contained, with its own villains and disconnected from the main FF7 plot. I think it was smart not to do this.

3. Full Seph integration with massive plot changes. If you want him to "feel like the main villain" of part 1, he would need to do some serious direct antagonistic actions. As Sephiroth isn't in Midgar at all in the original game, if you were to have him do a bunch of "main villain" stuff with actual repercussions, it would require a serious plot divergence. People already got upset about the relatively minor changes we got, so I can see why the devs would not have followed this path.

2. Partial inclusion with minimal changes. This is what we got. They have Sephiroth show up quite a lot without any drastic changes to original plot. His appearances leave new players mostly in the dark about what his deal is, but familiar players are also in the dark, because they don't know why he's here or what he's doing. So all players get to be mystified, which is actually the OG FF7 experience. They establish that he's bad news without having to make any serious plot divergences: our usually unflappable here is scared shitless whenever he shows up; he brags about killing Cloud's mother and burning his town; we know Cloud had a battle "to the death" with him, but he's somehow still alive; he can apparently come and go at will; he stabs Barret- this is enough to let even new players know that he's bad news and a real threat, even if they don't fully understand his motivations or what his deal is. After all, this is just a hook for the rest of the story, and not the ending.

Honestly, the way they handled him seems pretty smart.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Caidin posted:

Hey question about the soundtrack here, does anyone know the name of that track that plays in the train yard between the Ghoul and Eligor fights. The tense one with a few notes of the Turks theme in it? I can't find for some reason.

I think this is what you're looking for? It's not on the official soundtrack, but this playlist has it as "Please Let Us Be In Time" and it shouldn't be hard to rip it through any number of services or programs. The playlist (linked in the video's description) has a few other fun things not on the OST, like the alternative versions of the song playing during the reveal of Aerith's dress ("A Certain Gaudiness") and a few other fun mixes. I really need to find a full version of the Honeybee Inn song and dance number. It's split up into 5 smaller segments on the OST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPa6dxBGfNc

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Zebulon posted:

I think this is what you're looking for? It's not on the official soundtrack, but this playlist has it as "Please Let Us Be In Time" and it shouldn't be hard to rip it through any number of services or programs. The playlist (linked in the video's description) has a few other fun things not on the OST, like the alternative versions of the song playing during the reveal of Aerith's dress ("A Certain Gaudiness") and a few other fun mixes. I really need to find a full version of the Honeybee Inn song and dance number. It's split up into 5 smaller segments on the OST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPa6dxBGfNc

Oh, yeah that is exactly it. I went through the whole soundtrack looking for it. They crammed like a 100 songs on there but I guess I shouldn't be surprised some key tunes got left out. Thank you.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

I'm continuing to re-play through the chapters, and I noticed a couple things that hadn't registered my first time through:
  • At the beginning of Chapter 8, when Aerith tells Cloud about her 'useless' materia, Cloud has a vision of her death from the original game (I don't know why this didn't jump out at me my first time through, maybe I was looking at my phone or something?)
  • When Cloud and Aerith leave Sector 5 at the beginning of Chapter 9, Cloud has another headache-vision. He doesn't see anything unusual, but the first few notes of the Lifestream theme play.
Up until then I'd thought that Cloud's headaches were only triggered by seeing or hearing something that invoked his repressed memories, but this could either tie in with:
  • OG Aerith in the Lifestream is reaching out to Cloud; or
  • The whole 'Whispers are WEAPONS' thing, where Whispers are the planet's way of controlling fate, and the Whispers are giving Cloud visions in addition to directly intervening.
I almost wanted to lump in Cloud's visions from when he's falling after the Airbuster fight (where he talks to another version of himself), but compared to all the other visions he has, these are probably just regular ol' unconscious dreaming.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Paper Tiger posted:

I'm continuing to re-play through the chapters, and I noticed a couple things that hadn't registered my first time through:
  • At the beginning of Chapter 8, when Aerith tells Cloud about her 'useless' materia, Cloud has a vision of her death from the original game (I don't know why this didn't jump out at me my first time through, maybe I was looking at my phone or something?)
  • When Cloud and Aerith leave Sector 5 at the beginning of Chapter 9, Cloud has another headache-vision. He doesn't see anything unusual, but the first few notes of the Lifestream theme play.
Up until then I'd thought that Cloud's headaches were only triggered by seeing or hearing something that invoked his repressed memories, but this could either tie in with:
  • The whole 'Whispers are WEAPONS' thing, where Whispers are the planet's way of controlling fate, and the Whispers are giving Cloud visions in addition to directly intervening.
I almost wanted to lump in Cloud's visions from when he's falling after the Airbuster fight (where he talks to another version of himself), but compared to all the other visions he has, these are probably just regular ol' unconscious dreaming.

The second time, it's because it's literally the same framing and composition of Aerith departing in the Ancient Forest.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Paper Tiger posted:

When Cloud and Aerith leave Sector 5 at the beginning of Chapter 9, Cloud has another headache-vision. He doesn't see anything unusual, but the first few notes of the Lifestream theme play.

Did you notice that after this vision, a tear rolls down his cheek and he seems surprised by it? Then he turns away from Aerith quickly so she doesn't see he was crying.

It's not clear why he's having future-visions yet; there are a lot of theories floating around, but we've gotta wait and see!

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

Onmi posted:

The second time, it's because it's literally the same framing and composition of Aerith departing in the Ancient Forest.

Oh dang, I never would have made that connection! That would explain why a tear rolls down his cheek, too.

Man, I'm super looking forward to Part 2.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Paper Tiger posted:

Oh dang, I never would have made that connection! That would explain why a tear rolls down his cheek, too.

Man, I'm super looking forward to Part 2.

She also leans into the scene at the start from behind a post similar to how she does in the forest from behind the tree.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Caidin posted:

Oh, yeah that is exactly it. I went through the whole soundtrack looking for it. They crammed like a 100 songs on there but I guess I shouldn't be surprised some key tunes got left out. Thank you.

Glad to help, I loved that song too and would have been sad if I'd scoured the OST trying to find it only to come up short. The song that plays during the escape from the Shinra Building (the playlist calls it Confrontation with Heidegger) isn't on the OST either and I loved that mix from the instant I heard it. The full playlist is 245 or so songs, contrasted to the 100 or so on the proper OST. And that's with the playlist consolidating the entirety of disc 8 (20-something Jukebox remixes) into a single video.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope they keeping bringing back things from the compilation. I want to see Gackt again but he's a Cactaur now.

Gacktaur

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Super No Vacancy posted:

I’m so mad Biggs survived instead of Jesse

You know what owns?

I read a "spoiler" that Jessie survives and played through the last parts of the game constantly thinking "so when's Jessie coming back" and then it just never happened and I was sad :(

Biggs is great too, though. Biggs is probably my favorite of the Avalanche trio. Chapter 4 was one of my favorite chapters; it's one of the best chapters for characterizing Cloud (in addition to Biggs/Wedge/Jessie of course) and also gives us a look into middle class Midgar (this was one of the few disappointing things about the game; we get to see non-slum Midgar once at the beginning and once during Chapter 4, but otherwise you never really revisit it).

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The shot that confirms Biggs is alive also vaguely implies that Jessie is, too. I want to believe.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I thought the way the shot was framed was such that there was another bed in the room and we might have seen Jesse's headband on the shelf.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Her headband and her gloves.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Paper Tiger posted:

Have you seen the chapter 14 scene outside the house with aerith? She pops up to cloud in a “dream” because she’s in shinra HQ. But the stuff she says and way she acts made it seem like she knew all the timeline stuff was going on.

I’m not sure if it’s like... a different aerith speaking to Cloud (one that’s from the future) or if aerith knows more than she’s letting on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Have you seen the chapter 14 scene outside the house with aerith? She pops up to cloud in a “dream” because she’s in shinra HQ. But the stuff she says and way she acts made it seem like she knew all the timeline stuff was going on.

I’m not sure if it’s like... a different aerith speaking to Cloud (one that’s from the future) or if aerith knows more than she’s letting on.

Not everyone gets that scene. Some get Tifa and a lucky few get Barrett.

But I lean toward current Aerith, but "other iteration" Aerith is an interesting idea.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 30, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The Ultimania directly calls reference that Aerith knows things she shouldn't and is clearly hiding things from the party. One of the big takeaways, if you did all the sidequests, is the short scene you get with Aerith after finishing all the Sidequests in Sector 5, where she talks to the flowers, mentions how they don't talk back but also concludes with "I'll probably just give up, it's what I'm best at anyway" Which has been completely at odds with Aerith's entire character, and when Cloud mentions it, she basically goes "That's because today is the day I met you."

My interpretation is this Aerith, through Lifestream or other methods, has knowledge of the future, and has been trying to alter it, and failed each time. Things likely like trying to stop Zack from leaving. She's stuck between wanting to give up, and wanting to fight to create a better future. Similarly, she knows who Marlene is, WHERE Seventh Heaven is (Pay close attention to how she asks Wedge where Seventh Heaven is, she's confirming information she knows, not learning it anew), and that they won't stop the plate from falling.

That's ignoring of course, things like her shushing Marlene after Green Staticing her.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That whole garden talk with Aerith was really weird. Like she brings up how she isn't really being treated badly at Shinra, then a bit later we jumpcut and she's in Hojo's cell while he goes all "I KEEP YOUR MOTHER'S BONES ON MY SHELF AND TALK TO THEM EVERY DAY"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

That whole garden talk with Aerith was really weird. Like she brings up how she isn't really being treated badly at Shinra, then a bit later we jumpcut and she's in Hojo's cell while he goes all "I KEEP YOUR MOTHER'S BONES ON MY SHELF AND TALK TO THEM EVERY DAY"

Aerith has a poor perspective on things and doesn't recognize having conversations with Hojo as the warcrime that it is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DeathChicken posted:

I interpreted that entire scene as Cloud imagining what Aeris would say since, as it's clearly shown, she's a figment of his imagination at that point in the story.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
Biggs being alive owns because he'll likely show up when the party parachutes back into Midgar to stop the Sister Ray only to get killed by Hojo just before he drinks the T-Virus.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

I interpreted that entire scene as Cloud imagining what Aeris would say since, as it's clearly shown, she's a figment of his imagination at that point in the story.

Also, Aerith is precisely the kind of person who'd bullshit Cloud to keep him focused instead of worrying or having a nervous breakdown. She's got tough mom energy.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Aeris kicks the poo poo out of any character in FF13, plz dont compare them

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

DeathChicken posted:

RareAcumen posted:

Aerith has a poor perspective on things and doesn't recognize having conversations with Hojo as the warcrime that it is.

That and she's probably trying to convince him to not go after her.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

BaDandy posted:

That and she's probably trying to convince him to not go after her.

Seconds after the conversation with Hojo: "gently caress I hope Cloud ignores that dream and comes save me"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
They really knocked it out of the park with how absolutely loving detestable they made Hojo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And they didn't even have him try to make a lady breed with a dog this time!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Waffleman_ posted:

And they didn't even have him try to make a lady breed with a dog this time!

"I'll make her breed with G types" or whatever he says sounds even more rapey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I was surprised there were still G-Type SOLDIERs around, let alone some loyal to Shinra. I mean, yeah, Genesis isn't dead, but just because he was cured at the end of Crisis Core I wouldn't think that would magically fix everyone injected with his cells. But it was also a literal deus ex machina, so who knows.