Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Marking my place in this thread by saying that the correct ship is indeed Aeifa (pronounced like the Celtic name Aoife)

I have basically spoiled myself for the ending details but I just started Chapter 18 and have yet to see them for myself (17 was longer than I expected and I was planning on finishing tonight but it looks like one more session).

Edit: also going backward in this thread and

Funky Valentine posted:

Rufus's actual characterization is that he's secretly much smarter than basically everyone else involved with Shinra.

It would actually be kind of amazing if they do expand the party roster and have Rufus join the squad because how can he make dosh if Sephiroth destroys the world?

I fully support this, that boss fight was sick, coins and akimbo guns is a good action RPG moveset. Just delete Vincent I guess

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

homeless snail posted:

IDK how you could play this game for 40 hours and not think its anything but a labor of love by everyone involved, its crazy reverent of FF7

What makes a rabid fanbase rabid is that they have worked themselves into thinking that they are actually the ones who should determine what is legitimate and what isn't ("they owe us"), because their acts of consumption are worth more than the creators' acts of production

(This is not a comment on anyone in the thread, the discussion here has been reasonable from what I've seen)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Andrast posted:

People who wanted a straight remake should have been out the instant they changed combat to a real time system imo

I remember when the E3 2015 trailer showed it off there were these takes lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"A good man who serves a great evil is not without sin. He must recognize and accept his complicity."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I thought what the whispers were doing should have been exceptionally clear by the chapter 8 dialogue that included lines like, they won't let us go that way, it's like they're keeping us on a path

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

I want to take the time to effortpost about an element from the game that accurately sums up my feelings about the entire drat experience of FF7R. That element is the song "J-E-N-O-V-A - Quickening," and it is the best motherfucking song.

The fight with Jenova Dreamweaver and the song that plays when you engage it are both engrossing and distressing at once, particularly right at that first moment. The song is recognizably "J-E-N-O-V-A," but the punchiness and synth that was evocative of something sinister and alien in the original are curiously missing, and the fact that we're fighting Jenova at all is a break from established canon, so immediately the OST and the mechanics are working together to establish this feeling of not-quite-rightness that is an excellent representation of what Jenova is (Wrong, with a capital W). The song is almost dreamlike and languid, and much slower than the original's high-tempo adrenaline booster. Even the fight seems ponderous, particularly on Hard or if you aren't overtly superpowerful yet - you kill tentacles to try and create vanishingly small windows of vulnerability for this... The-Thing-lookin' thing, now in glorious HD.

But you do start making progress. The fact that you're not "supposed" to fight Jenova here fades away, because while I wasn't sure about all this when it started I'm extremely on board now. This is new poo poo but it kicks rear end. And the song follows along with you, building into an ominous chorus and the sonorous sweep of the orchestra playing off a bit of that high-pitched goodness we all know and love, made real here by the presence of the strings. There's a lot of percussion as punctuation, neatly aligning with the rhythm with which you take out these new, remote appendages and create a widening gap to attack this Thing. I'm not even sure I miss the original track anymore - the chant filling in for the MIDI staccato feels suitably epic, and I'm an unabashedly enormous fan of the source material - both the song and the game.

It isn't until after I've convinced myself that, you know what, this is a real high note, and maybe even better than the original... I mean, I still miss that drat song, it was so good, I would've liked to hear it in--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVOtzx-fXTY

OH FUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK, they get it, these motherfuckers get it, they know exactly what they're doing, holy shiiiiiiiiittttt, and I'm cackling like I'm 12 years old again re-playing Final Fantasy VII in my best friend's basement, except the same friend is here with me as an adult because we've been playing through the game and he's cackling like a lunatic, my man just LISTEN to that glorious "alien techno."

This game is really good, and its soundtrack is loving transcendent. Masashi Hamauzu loving rules.

Exactly my experience

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Fan arbitration of what's real or not and what should officially be demoted to some other tier of legitimacy is really tiring

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

The earlier comparison to MGS2 was apt. MGS2 being what it was isn't really such an out-there evolution of Metal Gear and it was also really well done.

Final Fantasy has never shown any interest in this kind of meta narrative and I can understand why it annoys people who just wanted a good, straight story like the original game.

Since FF8 there have been more FFs with time travel/timeline fuckery than not lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

You bringing up Red XIII here did make me want to revisit the Drum and think more about my opinion on it. You're right that it does a lot to make Red XIII feel like an actual member of the party and that could be pretty important to drive home there. I didn't really feel like it added anything to what we already know about Hojo by that point, or at least that it didn't add enough to justify how long it is, but I did really like how much that segment did with Red XIII.

The animation of Red XIII flipping switches completely justifies The Drum imo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would suggest enjoying your memories of 99% of the remake and then be sad they never finished it, I guess

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They could have called it FF7 Re:Make Directed by Tetsuya Nomura, that probably would have clued FF old heads without giving the game away for everyone else

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Cloud and friends Remade the timeline, seems appropriate to me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, I agree that FF8 should have been the game to get this treatment but that's just because I love FF8

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Blowing up the Death Star was bigger than... not blowing anything up at the end of Empire Strikes Back

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

My man, I am torn. I think I want to love FF8, but I just can't. Junction is probably simultaneously the most tedious customization system in an FF and by far the easiest to break open, even if you engage with it on the game's terms. The cast is largely horrible outside of Squall and Quistis, and Laguna if you wanna count him. The plot is straight up nonsense, and only sometimes in a fun way. Rinoa, the main love interest!, is child-like in a way that honestly kinda creeps me out, having replayed it on the Switch relatively recently. The last 20% of the game or so is straight up garbage if R=U is truly not a valid reading of the story. I have some strong feelings about FF8.

FF8 had like... a demo disc? Something, and it came out with like I wanna say Jet Moto 2 and some other cool poo poo. But all I cared about was playing the FF8 demo after being so obsessed with FF7, and the song that plays for the Dollet mission is SO GOOD, and the FMV had me crazy hype, and it was gonna have like a school setting? which I did not realize was incredibly commonplace in Japanese popular culture, particularly videogames and anime, so I was like "COOL???? I THINK????"

And then the goddamn game came out and I kept thinking I was going to eventually like it until it ended and I realized I didn't like it.

If they were to remake FF8 they'd have to start almost from scratch. UGH FF8.

One of the main worldbuilding elements is that a Sorceress trapped in a giant space prison is constantly screaming 24/7 in a way that completely jams radio transmission worldwide

It owns

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/BelgianBoolean/status/1252054006031147009

Edit:
https://twitter.com/christinelove/status/1030503682637357056

The Remake could Get This Right

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 21, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Angelo Cannon in 4K HQ HDR

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess I don't understand the logic of loving 99% of something and then hating the last 1% of it so much it makes you retroactively think the 99% was worthless :shrug:

Just treat it like cheese and cut the bad bit off

Edit: this is not commenting on Beefstew's post which showed up while I was typing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What about the Hojo beach scene, that seems like it would be completely out of place now

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Elena > Reno

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

But yeah I get the sense that there are an increasing number of players like me who probably whole-heartedly reject Reeve's liberal incrementalism and were glad to have the scene with the Shinra Middle Manager, lol at "we're the good guys we can't just kill president shinra", put a bullet in all the gillionaires

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Technically I believe Time Compression and/or the Eighth Umbral Calamity killed (or would have killed) more people

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Why would you even make a self-destruct feature like that anyway

Edit: That requires on-site manual operation too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

Unless I'm mis-remembering and they're blaming the Sector 7 Collapse on Avalanche/Wutai, in which chase yeah Jessie's parents are probably dead too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The funny thing is that I was impressed they went with the Greek pronunciation of the name considering there's another Nomura character named Kairi

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"So what? Screw him." Aerith, re: Sephiroth

Edit: lol gently caress Sephiroth used octoslash on aerith :negative:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 21, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh man this game must have one of the top ten all time implementations of dynamic reactive soundtracks, that fight was phenomenal

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I know it's shorthand but lol that the Whispers were affecting what Stamp looked like

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I love this game and enjoyed the ending and am on board with whatever they want to try with the next part.

Like yes there was some hokiness with confronting the literal manifestation of Destiny but I can forgive it that, partially for everything it did so well up to that point and partially for it being a working-through of how to take this story somewhere else, as has been previously discussed.

I am just eager to see what they try with this, considering now it is not a story structured around Aerith's loss and absence, but around her presence and what that might mean. I would be more skeptical of the ending except for the fact that the most salient character moment of the end is given to Aerith and her ambivalence about what is to come. I don't think it's a coincidence that the one major "past" alteration (besides Stamp) we are privy to is the survival of a person who has played a pivotal role in Aerith's life. That last moment about her missing the steel sky was heartwrenching and if that's what they carry into the next part, and if FF7R is definitively Aerith's story in an active way, I would be elated

J Detan posted:

The characters were delightful the whole way through (especially Aerith, who I frankly didn't care for much in the original and is my standout favorite in the Remake) and the weird way it goes about saying that its story has unknown avenues and twists we won't see coming was exciting, at least to me.

:same: so hard

I never really thought much about Aerith in the original, she just seemed like a generic nice girl and of course she selflessly sacrifices to save the world and is more important for not being there than anything else, it had become such a meme. Meeting her again, with the characterization and personality they were able to give her, so that you can see how much of that cheeriness is a defense mechanism or a front (also she says "poo poo"), to see her genuine bond with the other characters now that the story had time to breathe, I am really much more connected to her and will probably be emotionally invested in whatever happens this time around lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 21, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I'm glad we defeated the whispers in real life so we could get on the timeline with this game instead of the CyberConnect2 version.

Shame about everything else though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They need to have someone on the Shinra side to be a jovial rival that also hasn't murdered thousands of innocent people

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Johnny was in the original game, Leslie and Kyrie were in Compilation content.

Roche is New and Amazing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, in the original Johnny was just a bystander NPC, his parents were wishing him goodbye as he "left town" in Sector 7 then you see him again outside the Honeybee Inn

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK so I finished the game last night and I did not kill any whispers. I saw no indication that the whispers had all been defeated and were never coming back and everyone itt keeps insisting that we killed them all off. When and where did this take place? The 3 main party stand-in demon things and the huge demon behind them were not whispers. What am I missing here?

ImpAtom posted:

... The bosses are literally called "Whispers." That is their name. They are Whispers.

If you assess them it tells you they come from the future to protect the timeline that gave rise to them, lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I will agree that the ending jump to fight the final bosses was a bit abrupt and didn't make sense for some characters. The reason why I feel like FF7R is becoming Aerith's story is partially because she has the strongest motivation and understanding of what it means to challenge the whispers so she's in the driver's seat at the end. Cloud is pulled in by (his yet-to-be-understood) conflict with Sephiroth. Red XIII got the mind magic or whatever from Aerith. Tifa and Barret make less sense, especially if Barret thinks about the Whispers saving his life and the idea that the Whispers serve the will of the planet... which is what he has been fighting for this whole time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah the Weapons are activated after Meteor is summoned right

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yeah, pretty much same here. I have plenty to say about the execution of parts of this remake but the fact is that the vast majority of it was brilliant and while I'm nervous that the rest will be garbage... honestly, there was a chance it was going to be, anyway, even if they stuck to a more straight-up remake. I'm on the wild ride and very little will stop me from getting the next part on its launch day.

Are you saying... there's no getting off this train we're on?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

For every loss of "no getting offa this train we on" or "Planet's dyin', Cloud!" we also got to update pretty lovely scripting like "Stop acting like a retard and climb!"

So it was probably worth it.

I kinda like the update

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Every time a bar of one-winged angel comes in as a motif in a track it is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Game of thrones

loving 30% of it, at best