Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When in doubt, Sephiroth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He has heck of upper body strength to have been hanging there the whole three rear end hours we spent in the Drum.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

At first I thought Johnny was kind of funny, until suddenly I became extremely, irreversibly sick of his poo poo, but then his storyline immediately ended, so I feel like the writers understood his role well

Oh, I don't think we've seen the last of Johnny, to be honest.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Johnny? Gongaga.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nomura will appear as the Author of Fate

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was from a dev demo that was never made public, but there's footage of it on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV6uPY9HGkM

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Flopsy posted:

No link?

Nah, Nintendo crossovers are kinda passe.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel like if we changed fate so far as to create an entire alternate timeline where Zack is alive, just killing Aerith as usual, even if they try to fake it out, would be pretty hack.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Monsters are a thing, but Mako makes them worse.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah the whole Roche/Jessie's parents sequence was exactly what additional content should be, and it puzzles me that Roche basically disappears from the game after that point and didn't at least get a cameo in the escape from the Shinra building.

Aside from some aesthetic choices in the final chapter, the only bit of additional content I didn't care for really was the Drum. I get why they put a new mini-dungeon there, you've only just gotten Aerith back after an extended absence and Red XIII has just joined you so they should be given a chance to strut their stuff, but it totally kills the pacing. Like, Avalanche is supposed to be actively assaulting the building to buy you precious minutes to get outta there and you're just wandering around a twisted maze at a frustratingly slow pace solving door puzzles.

Not to mention the Drum is kinda where the cracks in the late-game encounter design really start to show through.

I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to avoid the part where the whackamole men just electrify the entire battlefield.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, that doesn't really help me in the fight itself when I don't know it's coming, now does it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The first runthrough is basically full of moments like these, you have to remember them for hard mode because that poo poo will fry you otherwise. Stick some elemental thunder on your armor and go to town.

And see, that's kind of the issue because I'm probably not gonna do a hard mode run, so it doesn't do much for me except be super frustrating.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was thinking about Jessie probably still being alive and my third eye was opened to a possibility for the next game

Gold Saucer date with Jessie

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

Sorry but Jessie is very much dead :(

Then I guess I have a GHOST TO KILL

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"The ending changed slightly through a collaborative writing process during development"

Me, a genius: Wow these people don't know WHAT they're doing

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tifa for Tekken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utaF0xF5E7s

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheFluffMother/status/1260103584626008066?s=20

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There was a big scene with it and everything.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Harrow posted:

That was a bigger move from Nintendo than I expected, honestly. I figured they'd just not work with him again because of the NDA breaking thing, but taking the extra steps to cast someone new, re-record his lines, and patch them in is pretty big and was welcome given what a creep Chris Niosi is. It's not a ton of lines since Byleth's a silent protagonist anyway, but it's still something, and hey, Zack doesn't have a ton of lines either so :v:

The best part is that Niosi was only bragging about it because he was totally gonna be in Smash and then he doesn't get to be in Smash.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

BaDandy posted:

CC did a pretty good job of showcasing how a lovely corporation would actually control a living weapon, and that's by making them think they have freedom of choice when most of that is ineffectual while making them completely dependent on the corporation.

That's just the normal times we live in now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

Also I just remembered I had this video sitting in my favorites for years without an excuse to post it, but now that FF7 is back might as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au4HujcJKQQ

SQUARE YOU COWARDS GIVE ME FF7 ANIME!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Order:_Final_Fantasy_VII

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

yeah...not that one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII:_Advent_Children

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Is Kyrie like Yuffie in her own story? I'm gonna have to buy this book, aren't I

Kyrie works with an investigative service that tracks down missing people after Meteorfall.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Considering that Loz, Kadaj, and Yazoo were all pieces of Sephiroth, and damaging the three of them damages the big one...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel like making Aerith's death an immutable part of destiny would be the most obnoxious kind of fanservice, the kind where just because it was important to the fans means they have to retroactively make it more important than it was in-universe. Like how of course Darth Vader wasn't just a fallen Jedi who served as the Emperor's attack dog while the officers mocked his religion behind his back, he was the chosen one of prophecy and a lynchpin to Sheev's plan to create the Empire. It would also be a bit weak if the remake, which has so far hemmed the characterization closer to what was actually there in the original rather than what the later Compilation implied of them, continued the dumb hack Jesusification of Aerith.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My name is President Shinra and I want to build New New York in Heaven

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like swords.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Ugh, do I have to do this? Whatever, I run R&D, we do poo poo you're too stupid to understand, there, I'm leaving."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wonder how receptive people would be with bringing in full heals after every battle from XIII, at least for Normal. With getting rid of consumables, it would focus the action more on surviving each single battle, rather than having to worry about resource management and battles of attrition through dungeons.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Asema posted:

He's right/just in doing what he's attempting to do

This isn't the place to go in-depth about it, but this is 100% not true at all. He's given an understandable and sympathetic motivation yes, but he is still committing multiple instances of omnicide and intends to commit many more, and the game does not ever say that he is in the right for doing this. You still have to kill him, after all. Motivation does not equal justification.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kefka is a clown and without age

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah dude, you loving GO there and see the plate down.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Compilation was pretty bad overall so I don't think we need to be that beholden to it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

She can still end up in the lifestream if she dies of natural causes as an old woman surrounded by her loved ones tbh.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Legitimately, setting up your remake so that the characters are diagetically fighting against the original plot but still going through with the most iconic plot development of the original just as you had done it in the original would be the most punk-rear end lovely writer move of all time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's kinda not much to go on aside from that, so I don't know what you're looking for.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Everybody dies all the time, death is meaningless.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

The only one that stuck was Liu Kang, he's been dead for awhile now and not very happy about it

I mean even then, he's been a zombie in both timelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And they didn't even have him try to make a lady breed with a dog this time!