Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

From the other thread:

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

And as for the meeting with Aerith afterwards, it reaaaally seems like the idea that this is an AU might be plausible. Cloud has a brief vision of Aerith's death when she talks to him about the Holy Materia.

See, this kind of stuff worries me. I think there's something potentially interesting there if they can pull it off, but I don't have a lot of faith in it. "Keep the story how it was but expand on some aspects" is what I thought they were going to do and I think it'd be a big misstep to change things up a lot or do a "this is a new timeline and Cloud has flashes of memories from the other timeline" kind of thing, especially for people playing this as their first FF7 experience.

Obviously that's still all speculation at this point and for all we know they're just giving Cloud weird precognitive flashes to go with his weird memory flashes but I dunno, that kinda thing makes me uneasy.

Onmi posted:

Okay but have you considered it might not be a remake? Y'all ever heard of being Rebuild'd?

So, how did this go for Evangelion? I'd heard of the Rebuild but I don't know much about what it changed or how good it was.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

It didn't go well. Namely, because I don't think Anno knew where the gently caress he wanted to take it.

As for VIIRE The scene in question, is a quick flash of the white materia bouncing on the stone. It, combined with a lot of elements, have me sure this is a sequel hiding as a remake. and I wouldn't be surprised if later games use different "RE" names, leading up to "Reunion" More pointedly, here's how I would expect things to go

This game still pretty much follows FF7's plotline, things are expanded, and there's a lot of extra intrigue that's not originally there, but it's, all together, FF7's Midgar. I would expect the next game to deviate further from this, maybe direct things not happening the way they should have happened. A remixing of events. Things like the Tiny Bronco not being shot down and being forced to use as a boat, or it is completely destroyed, forcing the party to find a proper boat to proceed. And I expect the further it gets, the more cascading the effect is going to get. Until we're finally confronted with the fact this isn't a remake of FF7, but a sequel, masquerading as a remake.

Me, personally, I'm all on board the Nomura Crazytrain, but I really do feel for people like Man, I just wanted a remake

Really, even if this isn't a sequel masquerading as a remake, it does look like it might be leaning way too hard on "the player knows everything that's going to happen so we need to tease them with the Big Things they're excited to see" to the point that it might be alienating for someone who has never played FF7. I hope that's not the case but it would be pretty disappointing it it ended up going that way.

As for the Rebuild of FFVII theory, if nothing else I think it would actually be cool if each game had a different "Re" name. Remake, Rebirth, Reunion or something like that. And if they do go with this being a "Rebuild" situation, I hope it's subtle plot changes, things that hint at "things are going a little differently this time," and not something that totally upends the entire plot, like Aerith surviving and things like that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh poo poo, I hadn't paid attention to the lyrics before. Interesting song to do for the first part of the remake, too.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 2, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well, I hope if that's what they're actually doing, it's done in a way that works for first-time players, too, and not just for people who know the original story inside and out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wasn't there some statement a while back about how they consider the FF7 Remake to be a separate continuity anyway?

Really as long as it isn't ~*~all just a dream~*~ I think it could at least be interesting to see play out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

And, I think the final nail in the Rebuild theory to me, is the Watchmen of Fate descriptions.

The physical manifestations of future destiny, they fight with swords to protect the future that shaped them.
The physical manifestations of future destiny, they fight barehanded to protect the future that shaped them.

DO NOT LOOK IN THAT BECAUSE IT'S PROBABLY THE MOST MAJOR SPOILER IN THE GAME IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED.

Are the Watchmen of Fate the dementor-looking things?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Guess we should get ready to buckle up for a wild ride

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah what's the current rule for this spoiler thread as far as tags go? So far it looks like we're tagging speculation and remake-specific spoilers but not spoilers for the original game?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think part of it is that people don't want even the smallest spoiler-tagged spoiler in the main thread so people are being cautious even here in the spoiler thread. That might change once the game is out and spoiler tags become necessary in the main thread (and this one becomes the "totally untagged spoilers for the whole game" thread).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't watched the thing but

The up and down with this game has been amazing. It's revealed and people freak out, then radio silence and everyone assumes it's either dead or will be awful, then E3 and the demo and everyone's like "actually this might be really good holy poo poo!", and then...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I still think this could work but I just hope it doesn't get too meta for its own good and let the "changing fate" thing end up overshadowing the main story. As I recall they've stated that all the major plot beats will be the same, so we can expect Aerith to die when the story gets there and all that, but given that the final boss fight seems to be some big Watchers of Fate thing instead of something connected to the core plot, I worry that the fate aspect will overshadow everything else.

I figured there'd be a new final boss to cap things off but I figured it'd be like a Jenova fight or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unbelievably ballsy move and I hope it pays off.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I also can't possibly see this working for people who never played the original. I could be wrong about that but I have to imagine first timers are going to be baffled.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It occurs to me that they never wanted to remake FF7 in the first place. Wasn't the old line that they wouldn't remake FF7 so long as the original was replayable?

Maybe they never changed their minds.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well whatever happens I'm kinda excited for the wild ride ahead. I am not looking forward to the internet FF7 fanatic meltdowns, but I'm definitely really looking forward to playing the game and seeing for myself how this all goes.

And if nothing else it seems like it's gonna be a lot of fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

There is going to be a Grand Canyon sized gulf between people who wanted a straight forward but expanded retelling of the original game’s events and people who are curious where this is all going. I can see arguments between the two getting relitigated every day until part 2 comes out.

And unfortunately I will not be able to stay out of it as hard as I try

This will be the death of me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wait why does he have the Buster Sword? Didn't Cloud take it? Time fuckery?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have a strong feeling we're entering into "entertainingly bad" territory here

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

Maybe it's the other way around and Sephiroth is the one trying to change the future, with Aerith essentially fighting to ensure her own death.

This was my assumption and makes a lot of sense given the context, though if Aerith is the one asking everyone to "fight fate" then who the hell knows.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lol they could have just not done...this...and had a series that printed money for a decade, and now part 2 will probably sell half as well since newcomers won’t know what the gently caress is going on and ff7 purists will hate it on principal.

It's an insanely gutsy move, really. Honestly I hope it pays off and kicks rear end but my gut tells me we're headed for "awful but in an entertaining way." Can't wait to find out, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly my theory is that it isn't some coma dream thing, but rather Sephiroth or even Jenova trying to change things somehow. Sephiroth seems to remember the original timeline and Cloud gets flashes of it, so maybe it's Jenova doing time manipulation to try to prevent Aerith's death or mess something else up and make sure the Planet is destroyed this time or something.

This might also be wishful thinking because nothing would annoy me more than "it was all a dream!!!" stuff. I'll take time loop poo poo over that any day.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Motto posted:

I could interpret most of this as a way to inject a climax into each part of the project while still maintaining the "same" story, but the Zack thing is way outside of that so I have no idea.

They could've done that just by having a Jenova fight or something, so there's definitely something more going on.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HD DAD posted:

I’d like this, and ironically it might make Aerith’s death hit even harder? Either on some subconscious level she realizes she’s “supposed” to die, or she just predestination paradoxes herself into getting shanked.

Yeah, especially if they fake us out, like Aerith survives her original death only to die shortly after because she knows she has to.

I believe they've said in some interview a while back that the major plot points will all still be in place so it might be that things go the same on the large scale but how we get there is very different.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

why are you guys spoilering poo poo you made up, in the spoiler thread

An abundance of caution until the game is actually out everywhere I guess. We're mostly spoilering speculation that uses info from the game I think?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 3, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't deny that I'm a little bummed out that it isn't a straight remake even as I'm really curious what they're up to. It would've been cool to see the original story play out in an expanded form and with insanely good production values and great action gameplay, and I was getting really excited for that. That we're now officially never getting that is at least a little disappointing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really wonder how this is going to go over.

People who were excited for a faithful remake are going to feel lied to, I expect. What about newcomers? I feel like they're just going to be confused because none of these twists mean anything if you haven't played the original, right?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It'll all be worth it when Sora, Donald, and Goofy tumble out of a portal in part 2 and give Cloud a keyblade

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing I've very recently learned is that there's a very vocal contingent of Crisis Core superfans on Reddit who have strong opinions about the way Zack is portrayed.

One of them was even annoyed that Cloud could use non-Buster Sword weapons in this because of how important the Buster Sword is to Cloud and Zack's relationship, despite, y'know, having tons of non-Buster Sword weapons in the original.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just watched the launch trailer and they turned the weird house enemy into a boss??? Hahaha that owns

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gameplay-wise I have no reservations about this at all. It looks insanely fun, the demo was great, and I'm sure I'll have a blast with it.

The story's gonna be nuts and honestly I'm looking forward to it. gently caress it, let's go on Nomura-san's Wild Ride.

Anyone know when the pre-load starts for US?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also, I'm surprised not to see more reactions in the YouTube comments to the "new" things in the launch trailer, like the Arbiters of Fate being named, Aerith talking about how they're loving with her, and, oh yeah, Barret getting stabbed by Sephiroth.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dexo posted:

Do people think New players are dumb. Or that they won't explain what's happening in the game, if not in this "episode" eventually.

I think it's less "confused" and more "left out." Like I think it'll be obvious a lot of the twists are meta twists that would be surprising to someone who played the original but might fall flat if you don't know the plot elements being twisted. It's not so much that I think people won't be able to follow it, just that they will and the things the game treats as big, impactful moments won't actually feel that impactful to them.

I could be very wrong, though! I've yet to see how this will all be executed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HD DAD posted:

I will laugh if it turns out all of this is just Cloud going insane again, and when we reach catatonic Cloud in Mideel, Tifa reveals the end-of-Midgar events ended with Motorball and they just went merrily on their way.

I would be so loving pissed lmao, especially if the weird twists end up actually working and being good

Like by that point I'd be into it and then to have it go "actually Cloud was dreaming and the rest of the story will play out as normal lol" would be that one final about-face that would probably just break my mind and I'd just laugh for a day straight

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

God drat it I'm actually hyped again

Nojima-san's and Nomura-san's Wild Ride, let's go

I'm expecting this to be weird and dumb as hell but I'm excited for the dumb poo poo as much as anything else

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't loving wait to see how they handle Cait Sith in the next part

Sometimes I forget that the original had more than its fair share of incredibly dumb poo poo, too, like how one of the main party members is a robotic cat riding a robotic moogle-bear thing remote controlled by a Shinra executive. And then this robotic cat dramatically sacrifices itself and everyone treats it as a serious sacrifice even though it's just a remote controlled doll and doesn't even have artificial intelligence or anything, it's just a remote controlled toy and everyone knows that by this point, and another one shows up like five minutes later

It rules so much

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You go on a snowboarding adventure 20 minutes after one of the most iconic death scenes in video game history, it owns.

Back when the game first came out some other kid on the school bus I rode wanted to spoil me to be a dick even though he hadn't played the game himself (his brother had) and he told me that you go snowboarding

I was like halfway through disc 1 and thought he was full of poo poo

Good thing he wasn't able to spoil me about Aeris. Of course the strategy guide did that for him, but hey :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Watch there be two intersecting love triangles in part 2: Tifa and Aerith with Cloud, and Cloud and Zack with Aerith

And then it turns out Zack is from an alternate timeline or has been resurrected by Jenova or some poo poo and has to be killed to preserve this timeline or something

My best friend and his brother at the time weren’t allowed to own video games or watch tv outside of the weekend and for a while whenever they came over all they wanted to do was play the snowboarding and g-bike mini games at the gold saucer lmao.

This reminded me of how another friend of mine couldn't beat Safer Sephiroth and knew I'd beaten the game, so he brought his memory card over so I could help him beat the final boss. His whole setup and materia and everything was garbage so it was really hard but we got there eventually.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The FFXIV team regularly tells compelling stories but, well, they're working on FFXIV and not FFVII Remake.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I keep hearing good things about XIV and I enjoyed the trial period I played but hoo boy the time investment / grind required to get to the endgame for a new player sounds awful. Did they ever end up implementing that "skip to the end" function they were talking about a while back?

I believe the next major patch, 5.3, is supposed to come with a significant rework of the level 1-50 content (the "A Realm Reborn" or ARR stuff) which will cut out a lot of the filler and improve the pacing. Not sure if that's still coming in 5.3 or not, but it's something they're working on because they're aware there's a huge barrier to entry right now.

Hopefully if they do that well, it won't feel like a grind to catch up so much as feel like you have four Final Fantasy games' worth of story you get to play through, with two of the expansions (Heavensward and Shadowbringers) being among the best stories in the entire series.

The game does a lot to incentivize players to play older content with new players, too, so you won't be playing alone the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For people playing: how's the Enemy Skill materia?