Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Just beat it. Well, that was certainly an ending. So...Zack jumped the rails on his scheduled Crisis Core death, and we are presumably left with the fallout of where the hell he's been from the end of that game and this one, and how being Not Dead somehow did not interrupt Cloud getting to where he is right now in life. Or did it?

My head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The Hojo thing was honestly hilarious. The ghosts spend so much time making sure people die as they should, and then they carry Hojo off like "Oh you idiot, you're gonna get yourself killed"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

FF12 travel makes the most sense. You are open roaming the world map, except the world is a bigger corridor than usual.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The general idea (as I took it) was that Sephiroth was baiting the party into killing Destiny. So he stabs Barret and goes "Alright, so save him then, hero."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Well, Tseng might or might not have kicked out of the Stone Cold Masamune, but that whole scene in the original was very confusing

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Honestly now that it was brought up, Sephiroth going "Dang, I really messed up killing you, Aerith" and then stabbing Tifa *feels* like a Sephiroth thing to do

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Marle even has Marle's hairstyle, if she got old and stopped giving a poo poo about it

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

They'll put the original Final Fantasy 7 in as a Gold Saucer game. Sephiroth will hover over your shoulder the entire time. "Oh, you died to Carry Armor again. That's just like you....Cloud."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Hojo getting rescued by the Dementors makes me realize he's almost certainly smart enough to cotton to what happened, and that he'd probably be very amused by abusing it.

Rubrum: We gotta go, Hojo's throwing himself off the tower.

Viridi: Again!?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

There is one track in the game I frigging adored, it plays when you get to the end of the High Flyers combat sim mission. I don't know what the name of it is, but man, it made me want to punch everything in the face

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

If anything, it's pretty interesting that the one glaring failure of the Whispers is that they *tried* to kill Wedge, but apparently he was Just Too Thicc for a cinderblock falling on him from the sky to do it. Unless they got him on the second effort, the game very much leaves that up in the air.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

You get to Chocobo Racing, Joe is replaced by Roche on his bike

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Flopsy posted:

We get a wedding sequence at the end of the game and both Roche and Roche's bike wear wedding dresses. :3:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I really just want a great big dive into how much Zack surviving changes the cast's personality. Like, if he actually made it to Midgar dragging Cloud along, that should fundamentally change *everything*. Cloud can't exactly go into a delusional Zack cosplay if Zack is still there. Tifa can't cover up that cosplay with her denial until it ultimately bites everyone in the rear end and Cloud helps summon Meteor in a psychotic fit. I presume he would have gone to see Aerith, so *she* doesn't have as much reason to string Cloud along like she did.

I halfway suspect something else will happen to Zack before any of this, because the ramifications are...yikes

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

They very subtly foreshadowed that some kind of death balancing act needs to take place with Tseng's conversation with Reno. Paraphrasing, "Maybe the plate falling was the planet demanding a blood sacrifice for all the blood we leeched from it." "You serious?" "Am I?"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

If it makes you feel better, it looks like the party killed the personification of Destiny so hard that it retconned Zack's destiny way back before any of this mess. So they probably won't be dealing with any more ghosts. Probably

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Y'know, it never made a ton of sense just *why* Cloud was so insistent on fighting Rufus one on one, at least in the original game. "Barret, go! This is the real battle for the planet!" Okay, so kill Rufus with your army of a terrorist, a local florist and a labratdog. At least here it was fairly clear that if Cloud didn't do it this way, the ghosts would quickly be there to go "Oh yes you are"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Well, individually they weren't much. Reno could be counter Punished to death, Rude was hilariously vulnerable to the Nail Bat. They got much tougher as a team

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Costa Del Sol was such a great setpiece, mainly for the timing. You just get off of that haunted boat where Jenova killed a bunch of people, and then suddenly it's Barret being a teddy bear wearing a marshmallow and kids kicking a ball at Red. I will be very sad if all that doesn't make it back.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Incidentally I glanced at the Aerith death scene on Youtube, and...yup, that is approximately seven seconds from the time Sephiroth rafter leaps and Aerith gets stabbed.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Me, I'm kind of entertained by the idea that it was only destiny holding Zack back from taking out 50 Shinra goons and a few missile launching helicopters. Of course he did.

Actually it even fits the context of Crisis Core. As I remember, the last "boss" in that game was waves and waves of goons. If you beat those, the helicopters turned up to go "gently caress you, blow up"

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 17, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Thinking it over, the whole Seven Seconds thing is definitely the time it took Sephiroth to kill Aerith in the original scene. I imagine with that foreknowledge, Cloud would be compelled to try a heroic save there. Which in all likelihood *would* get him killed instead. That would certainly be a thing to close a hypothetical second game on.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Would it? As I recall, she finished the Holy summon anyway before getting killed. It just didn't work because Sephiroth was still in the Lifestream blocking it up.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

That would be kind of awesome if Sephiroth did a "Save the girl or save the world, Cloud!" thing, Cloud saved the girl, and then everyone else spends the game giving him dirty looks

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Guy does something terribly stupid, then the next time you meet him he's your best friend and pretends it never happened. That might be the most realistic thing in this game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Really, what would have Zack done with Cloud's comatose rear end? He's too much of a good guy to just leave him somewhere.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Poor girl lives in a slum all her life, and this version is apparently aware that the one time she goes outside she's gonna get killed

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Replaying this on Hard and it's kind of funny just picturing how the narrative would have ran if the Plot Ghosts weren't there to make everyone behave themselves. Like Cloud would have split Reno like a watermelon very early on, which I imagine probably would have thrown off the plate drop a little. Or at least turned the fight there into the party versus Tseng and Rude.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Tifa and Aerith are straight up Giggly Girls with each other from their first scene

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The scene after the plate collapse where he more or less tells Cloud "I'm asking very nicely that you lie to me and say things are okay" was great

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I...thought he meant it's a pretty bathroom and the slums bathrooms aren't nearly as fancy, but who knows

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I mean I thought it became glaringly obvious there were Destiny shenanigans at play as soon as Wedge jumped the rails on his scheduled horrible death, then the ghosts showed up to try and Final Destination him

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

You probably want to be at 50 for Bahamut. Which you'll end up at in a real hurry if you clear a couple chapters in Hard

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

There's the Bahamut fight that gets you his summon, then he turns up again in Chadley's final VR challenge. I have yet to beat that one, mainly due to Ifrit pushing everyone's poo poo in while I'm frantically trying to deal with Bahamut

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Sephiroth killing Aerith was his biggest bungle in the OG story. He ostensibly thought he was doing it to prevent her from casting Holy, and it turns out shunting her off to the Lifestream was actually necessary to even make Holy work. Best guess is he's trying to get Cloud to save her this time, and as a consequence, Meteor can't be disintegrated quite so easily.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's not like Shinra told them they need to get to the pillar and push this button. They knew exactly what they were doing and did it anyways. gently caress em both.

Yeah, ultimately it doesn't matter if Reno was handwringing over killing 10,000 people and Rude was all "Killing 10,000 people is my job", end of the day it's *real* hard to reel them back after that poo poo. Particularly Rude

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Admittedly it was a funny moment playing the last battle and having Aerith drop a Thundega on Sephiroth's head. Over the last 20 years, she kind of became the videogame poster child for a Woman Stuffed in a Fridge

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I loved her completely breaking Rude's tough guy act over her knee.

Rude: Go home!

Aerith: You know I can't do that, right?

Rude: Bluh guh wuh? Bluh

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

As I recall the group was *going* to kill him on that beach, until he basically went "Oh what, you're just going to chop up an unarmed man on a public beach? That will go well for you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I was mainly confused that Shinra chose to go "Okay, we'll just roll with the take where Hojo tells us to gently caress ourselves, why not". They could have put up an Out of Order sign like some of the other exhibits.