Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Pollyanna posted:

I just got Yuffie in the original and I forgot how hilarious her portrait is.

:madmax:

I wonder what they're gonna do with her this time around.

I'm playing through the original too and it's gonna be interesting to see how, exactly, she's going to join your party, given the really arcane mechanics of how to get her originally.

Personally cannot wait for the mass spontaneous combustion that's going to happen when Vincent shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Rhonne posted:

Why did Sephiroth just leave his sword behind back then?

I don't think he was thinking about it that much considering...you know.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
About Tifa being really avoidant about all the fucky things going on, I had a thought about her nervous behavior around Cloud, but is she afraid that Cloud would have a similar violent episode to Sephiroth's if he gets too upset?

I've been thinking about how Cloud would look from her perspective, and really just think about it. She hasn't seen him ever since he joined Shinra (that she knows of) and then he comes to Midgar a bit before the game and he's...different. He's acting like a completely different person and insisting that he WAS a first class SOLDIER, but he quit and he's a merc now. I don't think she thinks that he's lying since he's clearly Mako enhanced. What would be weird to her is that he didn't contact her at all about this and is telling her this now, after he quit. It's beyond bizarre for Cloud to not at least write a letter to her about achieving a childhood dream. But still, Cloud's back! She wants him to take a job with AVALANCHE since, you know, she hasn't seen him in years. He can earn money, they can hang out at her bar. Things might be looking up!

Then Cloud starts acting weirder. Having flashbacks, headaches/shaking fits. 7R adds full blown hallucinations. Cloud almost actually killed a defenseless neighbor! If the flashbacks and weird episodes were happening before the game even started, what is that going to look like to Tifa? Is she just assuming that this happens when you get injected with Mako? Cloud even has worse signs that something's wrong than Sephiroth did. To her, there was no lead up to Sephiroth getting really upset and then murdering everyone. He got upset, isolated himself for days, then boom. What the gently caress is she supposed to think when Cloud is more obviously not okay? Every time she asks if Cloud is okay after another fit, if he insists he's fine, she doesn't push it because what would happen if she does? She's also notorious for not being totally upfront about her feelings either, and she could just be shy or nervous about her feelings, but I get the feeling that she also assumes she has to treat Cloud with kid gloves or keep an eye on him all the time. That implication might have always been there in this original but they might me making that more obvious here.

I can't wait for when they get to Kalm and Cloud tells his story and Tifa's just sitting there like

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Oxxidation posted:

hojo: "feelin cute today might sin against nature <3"

hojo: *takes a selfie with a catatonic Cloud while injecting him with horrible little alien cells*

Onmi posted:

Remember the big issue Tifa's dealing with is knowing she can't trust her own memories. Yes, she doesn't remember Cloud being there 5 years ago... So... How the gently caress does he know events he wasn't present for? Yes, his recollection of events conflicts with hers, but from her perspective, he shouldn't even know the first thing about that! So is SHE the crazy one?

Yeah, that's another part of it. I agree with the animator dude who made that analysis video that watching her facial expression during that scene (assuming it even happens) is going to be insane. This whole time Tifa just doesn't know what to do about any of this. Like constantly feeling like a deer in the headlights.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 26, 2020

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
https://twitter.com/SuperButterBuns/status/1254435512133332998

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I refuse to picture a young, sexy Hojo. You can't make me do it. He emerged exactly the same as the greasy frog man we see here. Too many men from this game turned me gay without me even playing the drat thing when it came out. I don't need to add the horrible science man. :colbert:

DeathChicken posted:

Let's just check in on what Will It Breed looked like during his salad years

....aye

See? Not even Square Enix would go that far.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

His weird rear end mouth has been consistent across the entire series.

Thanking Christ that Sephiroth didn't get the weird rear end mouth.

I do kinda like the running joke that Hojo still has an inexplicable sex appeal.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

exquisite tea posted:

Wow, I suddenly remembered that internet story from 10 years ago about the FF7 house with the woman who wore a labcoat and started calling herself Hojo.

What kills me about that story is that she wasn't even the worse of the two. :stare:

Flopsy posted:

I'd like to know what the gently caress is wrong with women in the FF7 world that they see what amounts to Dr. Mengele sans the hygiene and charm and think to themselves "Ah, yes that's a desirable mate right there." "The way he mutters to himself and stares unblinkingly off into the distance before giggling about the possibilities and breeding subjects. Hawt as fuuuuck."

Mulva posted:

The sheen around Hojo is his body giving off powerful gently caress pheromones.

By which I mean both that the pheromones themselves are powerful, and also that pheromones indicate he is a powerful gently caress.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

The other called herself Jenova. They both also refused to bathe and encouraged orgies.

And it still felt like "Hojo" also got roped into "Jenova"'s nonsense, just way earlier than the others so it was too late for her. :(

God I just remembered someone else involved was trying to start a Suikoden cult.

Anyway, back to FF7R.

https://twitter.com/EENlX/status/1254449350014496773

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Can I just say I really love how they nail the tone of that Shinra VR commercial? Like it totally comes across as one of those commercials where you're not sure what's going on at first, or it looks like it's going to be a PSA or something, and then it comes in with "Here at Shinra, we strive to blah blah blah." It's so perfectly scummy.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

I have to confess it would've been even better if it was in the tone of one of those early morning infomercials where the actors are completely non-functional human beings. Just a close of up of your everyday consumer slipping and falling into a mako reactor, getting mauled by monsters or being held up by a gang "Old Midgar just not what it used to be? Well do we have the solution for you! "

And then Sephiroth stills hacks it at the end and a meteor flattens Midgar.

That's his solution. :getin:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I guarantee that, if the implications of Zach at the end are anything to go by, the timeline(s) might start to break down and we're gonna have people switching consciousness between them, kinda like with Zero Escape. Cloud will hallucinate that he's back in Midgar with Zach only to figure out that they're not hallucinations and it goes from there.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

Can I get a gently caress to the no please? Ain't gonna lie that sounds like the kinda poo poo that would make me hate this thing. I'm willing to buy an alternate timeline Zack made it, that's fine. Hell i'll even accept it if some how he even shows up in this one. But timeline shenanigans and brain switching? No. no no no noooo I've never seen a piece of media where that was done that I haven't hated with everything I am.

I dunno, I'm more curious to see if they could pull it off. You probably could if you don't literally switch brains and make it a really surreal moment, maybe Cloud just sensing or knowing about other poo poo going on with Zach and not knowing why.

Hell, considering that Cloud is so resistant to even hearing Zach's name, it could easily be like another Cloud talking to Cloud scene but as a playable segment.

cock hero flux posted:

sephiroth never appears in midgar

his name is mentioned a couple of times and you find his sword in the president's face but you never see him. The first time you see him at all is the flashback and I want to say that the first he shows up in the present is on the ship(or if you want to get all "actually" about it the first time you see him in the present is the North Crater).

I think they mean that, at this point, Sephiroth (or the Jenova meat suit he's using) is definitely in Midgar, the party just doesn't see him then.

Ineffiable posted:

That does seem likely. It's like a kingdom hearts 2 where you're playing as someone else for a while but you try to uncover why things seem 'off' and then you kick back to the real protagonist.

Oh god, what if you actually get to play as Zach???

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
So like, is this whole plan of Sephiroth's just him grappling with the concept of mortality? I keep thinking about it, and that has to be what it is, especially if Aerith is supposed to be his foil here. Like let's say the planet dies of natural causes outside of Meteor, and he's like, "Oh no! I don't want that." And then he has a mega big brained moment because he remembers that Cloud killed him like twice (three times if you count Advent Children), and he's like "Wait! If Cloud could do that to ME, he must be special just like me. And it always seems to happen when his suffering is at his highest. If I increase that suffering early enough, he could become so powerful. We could both stop this. I am such a loving genius," but he doesn't realize that this is a Power of Friendship story and he should probably be more worried about Aerith.

I....love this? I love when villains are so close to figuring out what they're doing wrong but completely miss the actual solution because they don't realize how far off the rails they've gotten. It's fascinating. Especially since Sephiroth doesn't want to become part of the life stream anymore and reincarnate because he's already "perfect". So the entire game is happening because he refuses to move the gently caress on like the other Final Fantasy villains had to. It's so good. I can't wait for him to fail and have a giant man baby fit about it.

Oxxidation posted:

you spelling it like that is making me picture cloud as francis york morgan

and it kind of works!

Ah poo poo, I keep confusing the spelling.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

anakha posted:

In the Easy Allies FF7R discussion with Maximilian Dood, they postulated that the Sephiroth that was loving with Cloud's brain in Chapter 2 onwards has actually been Sephiroth post-Advent Children, using the same things you mentioned above. He knows he lost in that timeline and wants to prevent it.

He refuses to be a memory. :tinfoil:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Harrow posted:

I think the biggest "mystery box" elements are:

- Why does Sephiroth seem to know the future? Why did an Advent Children music cue play after his first appearance?
- Why does Aerith seem to know the future? What does she know that she isn't telling us?
- Is Zack alive in our timeline, or is he in an alternate timeline? Did the different Stamp suggest a different timeline, or a serious retcon to our own? In either case: why? What does that mean for part 2?
- What did Sephiroth mean by "seven seconds till the end?" What does he want from Cloud this time around?

Wouldn't these count as just sequel hooks here?

Weird thing to say considering what game they're remaking, but I will say that all of this weird poo poo made me actually want to buy the game and see for myself instead of just going, "Eh, I have a port of the original so I don't know if it's worth getting."

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I think it's at least pretty clear that Sephiroth doesn't want to die, Advent Children reference or no. "But I...will not end," is him admitting that. We just don't have any elaboration on how he's doing this, which is gonna be answered later. I'm not sure if he just doesn't want to be murdered by the party in the future or if he wants to...conquer death or entropy as a concept? It seems like the latter is where this is going, to me.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

This goal kinda confuses me because technically Sephiroth could've gone on living munching on lifestream in the northern crater and experiencing the world above through his proxies with no problem. Stirring poo poo up the way he's doing now is literally putting his life in danger. What a weird goal.

What if the planet's at risk and he can't hang out in the northern crater anymore? I think that's what's gonna be answered next.

I think he also kind of...likes fighting Cloud? He seems like he's having a lot of fun at the end there. ....Good for him.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

I'll flat out say it; I'm sure they didn't intend for it to come across this way but Sephiroth really looks like a desperate ex. trying convince his old bf they really belong together.

They are absolutely doing this on purpose. They know. They've read the fanfics. He's acting way too desperate for it to not be on purpose.

Pollyanna posted:

So I think I missed something, is it explicitly shown that Aerith has knowledge of the future as opposed to visions and premonitions?

I also can’t find lines of dialogue of the same for Sephiroth.

Aerith says things that imply that she's kind of afraid of leaving Midgar and tries to spend as much time with Cloud as possible. There's this cute bit where if you leave the church without talking to her first, she talks to herself that's actually trying to ask Cloud to stay by going like, "BOY....I SURE DON'T HAVE MUCH TO DO EXCEPT TAKE CARE OF THESE FLOWERS. WOW. JUST SO MUCH TIME. IF ONLY I COULD HAVE SOME HELP. WITH THESE FLOWERS. THAT WOULD BE REALLY COOL...." Then Aerith has the idea of evacuating people from the Sector 7 slums, which Tifa thinks is suspicious because they're supposed to stop the plate from falling. Why is Aerith acting like it'll fail?

Sephiroth, meanwhile, is way more pushy about it. Saying that when Cloud killed him was "The crowning moment of our time together" (wow dude), he's clearly not talking about when he was yeeted into the lifestream in Nibelheim. He's talking about the end of the original game. He lures Cloud into an alley so he misses bumping into Aerith, but the ghosts force her to stay there until he shows up.

Neither of them can really come out and say, "By the way, we totally know what's gonna happen" because they'd come across as insane, so do other things to convey that in their own styles.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Harrow posted:

Sephiroth was always a manipulator in the original, and this time I think they're really leaning into how he plays on Cloud's insecurities while trying to pull on Cloud's lingering obsession with Sephiroth. Cloud has defined himself in relation to Sephiroth since he was a kid and has a ton of trauma all wrapped up in that definition (not to mention his Zack delusion), and Sephiroth seems to know just how to play with that.

What I think is interesting is that Sephiroth seems to have some sort of twisted affection for Cloud, too. Is that genuine, or is he using that as a tool in his manipulation of Cloud? Why not both?

It kind of reminds me of that bit in Stardust Crusaders where Hol Horse actually tries to kill DIO, fails, and DIO is like, "Wow, you actually tried to kill me. You're....pretty cool." Sephiroth grew up pretty isolated too and maybe someone able to get to his level is interesting, and he falls back on his mentor role to help Cloud but he's so far gone, he's just like, "Hey.......remember when I killed your mom? Pretty hosed up of me, right?"

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Veib posted:

Canon isn't real, it can't hurt you

-Sephiroth, probably

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I just assumed it was another Blade Runner reference, what with taking Japanese and Western stuff and smashing them together for Midgar.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

HD DAD posted:

Remake Barret handsome as gently caress, tho

I could just stare into his eyes all day. :allears:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Oxxidation posted:

is it actually stated anywhere in the original game that all SOLDIERs got jenova-cell treatment instead of just mako infusion

It's a little after Sephiroth insists that Cloud is a replicant, poo poo uh, I mean "clone". Cloud does say that all SOLDIERs get Jenova cells shoved in there. If not all SOLDIERs, then at least first class rank.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Toebone posted:

In my head it's not "Remake" the verb, not the noun. Stress on the "make" - Final Fantasy 7 reMAKE. Next two games will be Rebirth and Reunion.

Final Fantasy 7.77: You Can (Not) Remake

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Cannot unsee the Biggs looking like Charlie Sheen from Platoon thing.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Sinteres posted:

That was my first thought, I assumed it was meant to be a clear reference.

Oh for sure it is, it's just stunning how much he looks like a young Charlie Sheen.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

I've been mulling this over and feel free to call it dumb wishful thinking but I wonder if instead of beating the living poo poo out of Sephiroth in the lifestream/his own mindscape Cloud beats him by actually appealing to his humanity. Hear me out I already know this idea is off-putting and saccharine sounding as gently caress.

If we're going by any kind of canon, in Crisis Core Sephiroth was originally not an evil dude, withdrawn and somewhat socially awkward but not evil. His mental break came at the long end of a series of emotional traumas capped off with sleep deprivation and learning yeah he was totally a loving experiment. The Sephiroth we see in game generally behaves within the classic "a God am I" mindset until the very end at the edge of creation where he actually (blinks!) and speaks normally to Cloud. This actually some intense poo poo because it's the most human he's behaved in years. Seeing as what's becoming a reoccurring theme with this guy is he'll never truly be killed so long as he wants to keep this whole vengeance campaign against Cloud going maybe the answer is....actually talking him out of it. Like getting him acknowledge Cloud honestly had nothing to do with all the poo poo he went through and the constantly haranguing him isn't getting him anywhere in any timeline except stuffed back into the lifestream to pool resources and try again later. I'd be interested to see once Cloud gets his poo poo together if he actually talks Sephiroth down and "defeats" him by getting him to let go of his whole campaign and just reunite with the planet. I'm sure Jenova or what's left of it will emerge as a final boss fight if that's the case but it would be a very interesting take on finally putting him out of commission. Instead of violence just pointing out the fruitlessness of his actions and how it's not really getting him anywhere.

Not only does he actually blink, he kind of winces when Cloud refuses to join him. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

I don't think this is leading up to a "BUT HELP ME FIGHT THIS EVEN GREATER EVIL" thing. I think the tables are gonna turn with who admires who. Like yes, he is trying to rile Cloud up to defeat the Big Boy Whisper, but he seems to think he's being a mentor? Like he's falling back on his old role and the fight is a test at the end. The "suffering will make you stronger" quote makes it seem like he's projecting very hard onto Cloud in the same way he was like "YOU'RE A SCIENCE EXPERIMENT TOO, YOU'RE NOT A REAL PERSON" in the og. I think that's more where his fascination comes in instead of just obsessively hating him, like he's treating Cloud as an investment. Helping him realize that letting go and returning to the lifestream would be a nice bookend to how the Omnislash fight would normally play out too. In the same way he used Cloud's obsessiveness with him in the first game, Cloud could turn the tables here when he gets his act together.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

UltraRed posted:

I like how we portray people who discover they are the result of as a science experiment as kind of mentally breaking, but in reality they'd probably all just post Reddit AMAs.

I think it would have gone slightly better if he were just told, "Yeah, you have human parents, we just stuck alien cells into the womb to see what would happen." Not, you know, coming to the conclusions of "Here's your mother, The Thing. You're also the same as these humans turned monsters."

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

UltraRed posted:

I don't remember that part from the original. It has been decades, though.

I think they're kidding but like, bitch me too.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Immensely funny to me that not even Hojo's AI son likes him.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Speaking of Hojo

https://twitter.com/Saltbeast_/status/1255165055156412416

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Luceo posted:

Seph shishkabobs both Tifa and Aeris.

edit: and Yuffie

Actually wouldn't be surprised if he goes after Tifa this time around, considering. He's really been laying on making Cloud look unstable when Tifa's around and if that doesn't work, well....

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It was always odd to me that he never actually grappled with the truth in any way - I guess it doesn't really matter to him anymore after he decided to be a god and his incorrect assumptions were only the catalyst for that, but it would be interesting to see if finding out that he was mostly human after all had any impact at all.

I feel like that's part of the point. He may have been a legendary war hero, but part of that means no one corrects him or pushes back, even when he's acting normal. Both him and Cloud had this "I'm so much better than you" kind of isolation as kids, but Sephiroth was a little spoiled about it. I'm not sure he would be able to relate to normal people even when he's stable. ("How does it feel to be back here? I don't have a hometown, so I wouldn't know.") And people idolize him so they can't relate to him either. He has been told that he was a special big boy child from day one, then of course after an existential crisis he's like, "I see, clearly I am an Ancient/an alien/etc". Are you gonna tell this guy that he's wrong? He can't be wrong, he's Sephiroth, the hero! He's entitled to this special destiny from his birth, like a hero is!

And it looks like he's doing the same thing here in the remake, making these assumptions about Cloud but taking a different angle this time. He'll still miss something, but it'll be interesting to see how he tries to "fix" things this time.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I enjoy the violin plucking at the beginning of the first Those Chosen By the Planet but yeah, I miss the heartbeat sounds. The plucking might be hard to hear without headphones, though.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Sinteres posted:

It's weird though because that's part of a hallucination by Cloud, so maybe it's just symbolic.

Or is it? :tinfoil:

Actually, I kind of want Sephiroth to have moments that mess with the player (arguably what he's been doing during the remake for old fans). Like in the Temple of the Ancient where you're watching him with Tseng and he shows up and goes into the vision but he stops and looks at the group, and it looks like he's looking at you too? It can be subtle like that. Or weird poo poo during the Nibelheim flashback when you try to unequip the Masamune.

Flopsy posted:

Aerith telling Sephiroth to get hosed is hands down the highlight of the remake.

Hell yeah.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Next time

https://twitter.com/racheljpierce/status/1255552604832219137

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

cock hero flux posted:

he does just offhandedly shank barret in the shinra tower

it's too early to actually stick but the intent is there

Oxxidation posted:

i'm sure he did that knowing full well the whispers would just rez him again

whatever he's planning it's dependent on cloud continuing to pursue him, and getting rid of his allies early just makes it less likely he'll survive whatever else gets in his way

So this was roughly around the same time in the OG where everyone sees Shinra dead with a sword in his back and clearly Sephiroth did this, so Barret asks, "Wait, is he a good guy?"

I'm saying that this time, Seph stabbed Barret before he could ask, like as a joke.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
https://twitter.com/yououuii/status/1255125740422483968

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

Am I the only one really craving a "The Thing" esque flashback showing what happened after Jenova first landed and started going after the Cetra? Because that would be both amazing and horrible as gently caress. Like really emphasize this a unknowable barely sapient creature from beyond the stars and Hojo has the absolute worst hard on for injecting poo poo with it's cells.

That would be sick. I hope they amp up the horror in general next time, but I think they'll do a good job of that even if the Shinra sequence didn't have the exactly same horror flavor to it.