Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As a huge fan of the original, I’m glad the remake is turning out to be new and hopefully weird as poo poo, because that’s the “feel” of the original even if the story ends up being different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OctoberCountry posted:

I mean this all sounds pretty faithful to the original

Yeah I think people are forgetting how loving weird and confusing FF7 was when first released.

We’ve had over two decades to think about it and it’s still mildly bizarre. This game are sick.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

This game needs to be weird as poo poo and completely disorienting to capture the spirit of the original. I mean, remember trying to figure out what the actual gently caress Cait Sith is on PS1-era graphics? Or what those things were that wander around the Temple of the Ancients? Or the weird mumbling clones?

If you can play through it once and figure out what happened, it's a failure; a terrible, terrible failure.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1206740350938730497?lang=en

This tweet, but for FF7 instead of Cats, and unironically.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

As far as I know there’s still very little consensus as to what bugenhagen’s model is supposed to represent.

That's the perfect example of what I'm talking about. And so many of the locations in the original just make no earthly sense. Where is Seto? The caves are "sealed" and you have to go down into them, but then Seto is on a cliff which is presumably accessible from somewhere else.

And why was the Gold Saucer built above a desert which is also a prison and accessible by a propeller-powered cable car, but from a destroyed community?

It makes no sense and that's what makes the original game so cherished! It doesn't have to make sense!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Black August posted:

:10bux: down that Zack becomes some kind of masked swordsman you gotta fight a buncha times because he's now a mind-controlled science project or Jenova puppet

... I like it, but it's not quite bizarre enough. It needs an additional twist like Cloud has Zack's memories implanted in him somehow and now Zack is fighting him to try and get his memories back.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

GreatMrPopo posted:

Ive only played the og ff7, have not tried the remake's demo or followed up/ anticipated much about the game since it was described as being episodic/ split up in different "chapters/acts". but it seems a lot of fans are gonna be pissed off, and this pleases me a little. fanboy rage has a strange, nourishing quality to its taste. dont have much high regard to the "deep" and "engrossing" story the og game had, so i look forward to how it's being "hosed up" according to fans. I might play it further down the road, im strongly in the "wait till its finished" boat, but now im kinda excited to see how they handle the motorbike and snowboarding sequences, and might buy the second game just for those, and to see where this whole aeris dies/lives? thing goes.

It's true, I worried they would make the remake bad by half-assing the translation of the original game into a new format, but now it looks like they're going to make the remake amazing by just going completely off the loving walls tripping on acid, and that's very good. And I'm a huge fanboy for the original in a lot of ways, I would've been happy with a faithful translation of the original game into a new format, but it looks like this is going to be so much better in every way. It should stomp all over the sacred cows of the original and turn them into hamburger.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

The blood trail sort of happens, though the context is VERY different. (Spoilers where I basically lay out the President's death scene: The Turks don't capture you, you actually see Sephiroth/a clone retrieving Jenova and you follow a purple trail of Jenova blood to the Presidents office. You actually find the President alive and Barret has a quick-but-cheesy standoff with him where they rant about their differing moral codes and you get to witness the moment of the president's Masamune-stabbing, Barrett also gets stabbed by Sephiroth and the party fight "Jenova Dreamweaver" and then MYSTERIOUS FORCES save Barret's life because he is not ordained to die there. Then a bunch of other stuff happens that basically means the whole scene plays out very differently to how it did in the original while reaching basically the same endpoint.) I liked the scene, though anyone who doesn't like the plot going off the rails probably won't much. The main downside is Rufus doesn't make his inauguration speech to the party in this version.

God that sounds loving amazing, I’m so stoked.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Reddit seems like a boundless source of the mentally unwell, both in this specific case and also in general.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

Square really is playing with fire here a bit. I mean, think about just how anticipated this is, how excited people were for a remake of Final Fantasy VII believing that it would be faithful to the original, after years and years of people hoping this day would one day come. And even though we all thought it would be terrible, the E3 2019 gameplay reveal and the demo showed that actually it seems like it's going to be good, holy poo poo!

And then

Well, here we are.

I'm expecting some truly apocalyptic nerdrage here. Probably not as widespread as The Last Jedi rage but I'm betting it'll be more intense and longer-lasting. And don't get me wrong, it'll be dumb as gently caress, but oh boy. Hardcore FFVII fans got built up so high and there's gonna be a very sudden drop.

I knew they were never going to do it "right" by these people's definition of "right." But having seen the reviews and reactions, I am satisfied that they did it Right in a way I could've never imagined.

I'm a huge FF7 fanboy, I spent hours torrenting Advent Children and trying to get the lovely subs to work before it was released in North America, but one time I tried, more as a writing exercise than anything, to write a novelization of FF7. And I tried a number of different ways to do it. It never worked, and the reason it never worked is [that I'm a poo poo writer but also] that it's fundamentally impossible to perfectly re-create what made FF7 magical at the time, or even the nostalgia that made it magical on replays. It's a fool's errand to try. The only way forward, to make more than the pale shadow of what came before (with glorious graphics or otherwise), was to make something new, and polarizing, and batshit insane.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

This game are great.

It threads the needle between nostalgia and novelty in the way that the Star Wars sequels failed to do. Everything is familiar, but also new and, goddamn, I am here for it. Also, hard agree that Cloud needs to get some. What the gently caress, devs? Let him get his bone on fer gently caress sake.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Flopsy posted:

Subtle ain't square's speciality. It's more or less canon you beat the piss out of the representations of Loz, Kadaj and Yazoo.

What’s the fourth whisper then?

Also, I’m watching a speed run of the original and I just noticed there’s a giant mechanical hand on the way to Sector 5. Chekov’s lovely loving hand, waiting to vex us with a slow and not particularly fun puzzle mini game 23 years later.

Edit: the hand was okay, but they should’ve cut out either the first or second one because by the end that poo poo was getting old. That actually applies to many aspects of the Remake: they were good in principle but went on just one step too long. That’s the only serious criticism I have of the game.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Qrr posted:

Do they actually call Jenova an ancient anywhere in the remake? Like, they have this video presentation about the ancients where they just kind of look human, and Jenova... really doesn't.

I don't believe they do, actually.

EDIT: Also what the person above me said.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hard mode would've sucked rear end without the normal mode being a tutorial of sorts, and having everything that you need for hard mode trivially available would also have been less satisfying, I think. So while hard mode may have been the way the designers wanted you to play the game eventually, I don't think the normal mode was pointless by any means.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jetrauben posted:

Where did you get it? I can only find the CD.

iTunes Store, Canada.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sephiroth and JENOVA are the most terrifying villains because the thing that's infinitely more scary than an external threat is one that robs us of our agency and our sense of self.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

*in extremely nine months ago voice*

I hope FFVIIR keeps the weirder monster designs like Hell House in the game when and if it finally comes out but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I really love how they completely, enthusiastically, leaned into the weirdness of the original game.

Hell House was glorious (though a bastard to fight), and Wall Market/Honeybee Inn was just... are there even words to describe how perfect it was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

They really knocked it out of the park with how absolutely loving detestable they made Hojo.