Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Good afternoon all, I will get right to it:

Problem description:

Ever since I built this computer in December, my computer has rebooted in an unpredictable manner that I cannot replicate. Sometimes it doesn't happen for a week, sometimes it happens a couple times a day:

I can't figure out a pattern. I'm usually playing a game when it happens, but I'm usually playing a game on the computer most of the time anyway. It has happened even in games that aren't very stressful on the system. Final Fantasy XIV on low settings, Path of Exile, and it doesn't happen any more frequently if I jack up settings to max on games like Destiny 2.

And now the past two days I have gotten complete lock ups. Everything freezes and I have to click the reset button. This happened when I wasn't even at the computer doing anything.

Attempted fixes: I know PSU is the culprit in 99% of these situations, but I swapped it out for another (from my previous computer which never gave me issues) and I continued to have the problem.

I have also:
Run extensive RAM tests.
Stress tested GPU and CPU.
Updated all possible drivers and even flashed most current BIOS.
Fully reinstalled graphics drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller.
Run all manners of drive scans, virus/malware scans.
Re-seated graphics card and RAM and checked for any loose cables.
I usually use two monitors but I even attempted to keep one off in case me running two monitors at different frequencies was an issue.
I don't have another graphics card to try as I gave my previous one away. My roommate is building a new system soon so maybe I can try her old one.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's more that I can't think of.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?

The whole system is brand new. That event log up there where the first crash is in December is shortly after I put it together.

System specs:

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Extensively. But "I crash sometimes" is a bit vague for Google, especially since almost everyone says "PSU".

So, not a lot to go off of, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Adus posted:

Attempted fixes: I know PSU is the culprit in 99% of these situations, but I swapped it out for another (from my previous computer which never gave me issues) and I continued to have the problem.

What's the old PSU and how old is it? If it's too old/underpowered it could cause the same rebooting/freezing.

Try using onboard video if possible. That would narrow the issue down more.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Zogo posted:

What's the old PSU and how old is it? If it's too old/underpowered it could cause the same rebooting/freezing.

Try using onboard video if possible. That would narrow the issue down more.

It's a Corsair CX750M and it's not even 2 years old. My PSU was the only thing I had to replace in my previous machine so it wasn't that long ago that I got that one, relatively. I can't rule out that they both have the same issue but it didn't give me any problems on the other machine.

Onboard video does exist but man it would suck having to be without my graphics card for however long it takes to figure out if anything is 'fixed' since it can go a week or so before I encounter the reboot. But it is definitely not something I thought about trying before now at all.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Adus posted:

Run extensive RAM tests.

Did you use W10 memory tests or ones from http://www.memtest.org/ ? I'd try running memtest overnight at some point if you haven't yet. Also, you can try using one stick of RAM at a time.

Adus posted:

Onboard video does exist but man it would suck having to be without my graphics card for however long it takes to figure out if anything is 'fixed' since it can go a week or so before I encounter the reboot. But it is definitely not something I thought about trying before now at all.

Yeah, it looks like you went the entire month of January without having an issue.