Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Kakushigoto: My Dad's Ambition

Summary:

quote:

This story is about Gotou Kakushi, an artist who draws a somewhat vulgar manga, and tries to hide it for the sake of his daughter, Hime. A father-daughter tale of love and laughter.

A new adaptation of another Koji Kumeta work. The same author of Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei and Joshiraku. Expect puns, social commentary, and hijinks.

Our hero, Kakushi Goto. He's a mangaka who's famous for doing bawdy manga and wants to keep it a secret from his daughter. His name is a pun for "Secret"
(CV: Hiroshi Kamiya)

The daughter of our hero. Her name is also a pun for "Secret"

There are other characters whose names are also puns.

Funimation has acquired the series for streaming and is also producing a dub.

Official Website

Official Twitter

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

whoever's subbing this for funi seems a little bit outmatched, hopefully they get the hang of it better. really pleased with the direction though.

Kumeta's works are basically the sort of series that demand a Translator's Note page or addendum because of how much wordplay he does with stuff. All of the named characters have a pun or double meaning in their name just like in Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Professor Irony posted:

So is Goto dead in ten years or what?

I find the future scenes kind of a buzz kill :smith:

It's definitely an interesting framing device and without having read the manga, I'm not sure what the context is specifically. It definitely wants to add that element of mystery to what's otherwise a gag series + dad series

Edit: From what I've seen elsewhere, some of the punchlines are trimmed from the chapters used to make episodes so it might be a deliberate spin by the director

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 16, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Cops are already untrustworthy with billy clubs. Now you suggest we give them pole arms?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

2reachmu posted:

At least in the first episode they've plowed through enough visual references to characters in SZS.

I think as long as there isn't a wealth of white/chalk boards they should be safe.

Kumeta also reuses character designs and he's 100% self-aware of that and even pokes fun at it in one of his manga.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.doglistener.co.uk/humour/commandments.shtml

Here's the link for the 10 commandments for Dog ownership that they seem to be referencing. Presumably when it got translated into Japanese and used for the movie 10 Promises to My Dog it was a lot less dark and made more sad. Like there's a number of ones in the original that talk about animal abuse which is probably necessary but also makes it more grim than melancholy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

I hope the punchline is he's not dead, he just finally took a long vacation.

I feel like that's what it's leading up to. Dad's name got linked to his author name and he decides to hang up the pen and run away to escape the fans and paparazzi.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm not crying. You're crying.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

The whole series was just a slow-wind-up pun hidden in the pun that was the nominal premise for the series.

Kumeta really likes puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

macabresca posted:

Kakushi was also a manga artist while the grandfather was a """real""" artist? Maybe that's the reason. I remember that in one episode mr grandpa asked Kakushi if he'd let Hime date a mangaka and Kakushi replied that no way in hell or sth

I think that was more the case combined with the stereotypical father-in-law vs son-in-law rivalry