Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ErrEff posted:

Yeah, this will quickly become a problem as more mods get released and they all start conflicting.

Yes, use this to open and extract all the files from MUSIC.MEG.

How are mods releasing? It sounds like there's room for a little tool that can manage mods, turn them off & on, and compile multiple mods into a single dll. All assuming that mod authors are willing to release their mods as source, or as a patch to be applied against the base open source release even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Red Alert is a vastly better game, but C&C 1 just has such incredible style. I really think that the sound is what drives it: music, sound effects, and voices.

I think I spend as much time playing Tiberian Dawn's demo as I did the full game when I finally bought it... on Sega Saturn. Whoever up-thread said they beat it on a Saturn, you must have been a lot more patient than me.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

fartknocker posted:

I haven't replayed any of the Soviet missions yet, but even after 20+ years, Khalkis Island is still burned into my brain.

The way I remember doing it was after clearing the mainland was just building a ton of Yaks and having them hit the command center & other stuff on the island. The AA guns would murder a fair chunk, so I'd try and time them with recon flights, as those would draw some of the fire away from the fighters. Aside from that, I recall the Allies would sometimes get a landing craft full of reinforcements on that beach to the Southeast, and they'd ruin paratroopers I'd try and drop ahead of any landing. I'd build up as much as I can, with subs slowly clearing the Allied ships, and then go full D-Day with several ships dropping troops on the Southwest beach.

Probably not the best or most efficient way to do it, but that's how 10-year old me did it.

Yeah, I threw infinite Yaks at this. I remember this mission.

I loved Yaks and Migs and would cover my entire side of the map with airfields.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

axeil posted:

I booted up Tiberian Sun last night (from The First Decade) and holy crap its borderline unplayable. Every unit looks like an ant and it's impossible to tell what's going on.

I imagine the games from Generals onward are less of an issue because they're true 3D and you can zoom the map.

You can use GPU scaling, just play it at 1024x768 and have your GPU scale it to your monitors resolution, ideally without stretch.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ErrEff posted:

I'm impressed at how they got around the animated cutscene limitations by simply re-enacting a bunch of the cutscenes in-engine. Like... it's horrible but they loving tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP3xhddUDKI

It's too bad about the music because the N64 supported audio streaming at that point in its lifespan but for some reason the game didn't use that tech, even though it was a Nintendo-published game.

This is absolutely insane. My mind is blown, what a creative different port.

About the sound, I'm going to guess that with all the voice lines, they already had a huge expensive cartridge and couldn't or didn't want to burn even more memory for music.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sheen Sheen posted:

I would take a Generals sequel. Or a Tiberium sequel. Or a Red Alert sequel. Hell, I would take any new RTS game with a fun single player campaign at this point, I think C&C3 was the last time I played one

Did you play Grey Goo? Or maybe Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak?

w0o0o0o posted:

I wonder how the War on Terror-era satirical/farcical elements of Generals could be updated for modern times?

The three factions could be Police, Antifa, and the National Guard!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Arrrthritis posted:

Doesn't the online in RA3 not work anymore? I remember trying to play it co-op with some buddies and we couldn't connect to each other.

A shame, because my favorite RTS co-op experiences are from playing the Allies campaign.

Did it never get a de-Gamespy patch? I bet that you could run it LAN mode over Hamachi or something.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

gary oldmans diary posted:

Every time I leave the temple for last they sell it when it's at about 75% health. At slowest speed setting I can get an Ion shot during the sell animation which I hoped would be an instant kill like a SAM site, but no dice.

Wait, what? You can beat the game by causing Nod to sell their own temple? Seriously?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

obese retard posted:

PlanetCNC is still up? What the heck?!

Wow. I posted there and noobstories a ton back in the day.

Someone should archive these before the rest of them rot: http://planetcnc.gamespy.com/View2be2.html?view=Essays.Detail&id=162

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Same. Every multiplayer C&C match I played was just a five minute tank rush and I do not find that fun at all.

Early C&C 3 multiplayer was about building cranes to your opponents base and then building static defense on top of them. I'm guessing that's why they nerfed cranes so hard it broke singleplayer.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I had physical disks, I should pick it up again.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

What the gently caress is "EA Play" and why would I subscribe to it to play a 1995 game made freeware in 2007?

Are the freeware copies still up? I grabbed Tib Sun when it went freeware but I think it's gone now.

I think it's actually really neat that they threw all the ancient stuff on EA Play. Populous is on there, as far as I have seen there's no other subscription services that have games from the 80s on them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Deakul posted:

What's the best way to play Tiberian Sun comfortably on a 1080p display without game elements being microscopic?

Same as with any other old games: use the GPU driver to do display scaling and run the game at 800x600.

I'd highly recommend using preserve aspect ratio and just living with the black bars too: https://www.nvidia.com/content/Control-Panel-Help/vLatest/en-us/mergedProjects/nvdsp/To_scale_my_desktop_-_Windows_Vista_and_later.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Orcas are probably the best unit design in the game, even more so than mammoth tanks for my taste.