Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mordja posted:

The definitive ranking:

Generals/ZH>RA2/YR>TS/FS>CNC3>C&C/RA>RA3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TT

although on pure visuals I'd probably put C&C3 dead last

Generals is overrated as hell imo. Its most fondly remembered for memes.

I'd put it before RA3 and TT though too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What mods? Genuinely curious because RotR was in a weird incomplete state last month when I checked it out. Mid East Crisis was good too tho.

MO for RA2 has set an insurmountably high bar to clear.

Sorry if my first post was overly dismissive, just woke up :(

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 7, 2020

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Archonex posted:

CnC TS also has a pretty hefty mod community.

Twisted Insurrection (Basically a "What if Kane actually won the campaign?" bad future.) has a campaign, all sorts of new stuff, along with new music by Frank Klepacki. Apparently they managed to get him to come back to CnC and produce more music specifically for that mod. In fact, unlike every other mod it has multiple soundtracks of original music produced for the mod.

Pretty sure it might be standalone now too. So you don't need to own the original game.

Kinda not sure how these games will hold up given the modders efforts over the years.

Twisted Insurrection is excellent too. Totally forgot about that one.

Honestly I think the remasters outright won't hold up to the mods we've seen. They are pretty much nostalgia for us.

Look at the lack of means to repair/heal units in Tiberian Dawn for instance. That poo poo wont fly in a more modern RTS.

Has there been any word on modability for the remasters anyway?

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 11, 2020

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thats loving terrific news

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im super impressed so far.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pussy Cartel posted:

So does anyone know if rules.ini editing works in the Remastered collection?

Edit: also was about to ask this lol

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Same on speed. 4/6 is most playable.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gabriel S. posted:

Is the game even balanced enough for multiplayer? If I recall, Allies always won with medium tank spam or some such similar thing.

I thought it was the opposite? Allies lose unless cruisers save the day.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

CitizenKain posted:

Its impressive how good this, and a great reminder on how far RTS games have come, because holy hell I forgot how terrible the AI and pathfinding is in the game.

Yeah really hope modders can implement pathfinding improvements down the road. Thats the biggest weakness currently imo.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Same now that I've hosed with it. Are we unable to define new Warhead classes though or am I doing it wrong?

Tried to create a HEAT class that was for rocket dudes but they refused to fire their weapon after I assigned it to them.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I assume source code access should allow the user to make their own new Warheads though before compiling ?

Also GDI 4 (defend the village about to be attacked) is loving rough. Finished the objective with a red health humvee and grenadier left.

Got to the Commando mission but died to the enemies surviving the third SAM site I blew up lol. I'll try tomorrow and quicksave before each.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Spookydonut posted:

Okay the new map editor is amazing it tells you the trigger names on the units/buildings:

I guess I need to do a new LP now where i just deconstruct every mission in the remaster

You would be declared a hero

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Honestly not terribly impressed with this so far. The actual gameplay graphics look nice but the FMVs somehow look worse. I know they didn't have much to work with, but now it looks like everything is wrapped in cellophane. They should have given the option to keep the scanlines from the originals.

Gameplay wise, I'm frustrated by the lack of modern RTS amenities. They added some things, like production queuing, but other things like rally points and attack-move are conspicuously absent. Not having those things at the time was OK because we didn't know any better, but it's not very fun 25 years later.

Real tough guy!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

drat so Nod Longbow rush is legit lol

Was that 5 for con yard kill?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Katamari Democracy posted:

Im a mechanical man

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah YR was when unique voices came.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Trying out Tiberium Essence mod for CnC3 now actually. Orcas with miniguns are all I ever wanted:(

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Katamari Democracy posted:

I first played this game on Sega Saturn and learned one neat trick to unlock everything. Y A B B A (Down) A B B A (Down) (Up)

The joke in that cheat was Fred Flinstone's trademark "Yabba Dabba Doo"! But for Sega Saturn cheats. I usually just did that and the money cheat and blasted my way through the missions to learn them at first. Then I did that sandbag cheat haha

Hell yeah. It unlocked the SSM launcher too which never appeared otherwise. Forgot if it unlocked chem troopers for Nod though.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Nod Spectre artillery in the CnC3 Tiberium Essence are annoying as gently caress in the GDI campaign

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Guys Ive got bad news about Nikoomba....

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im on the last GDI mission now myself. Codename Delphi was probably the hardest so far.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Silos needed

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sininu posted:

I want to see him go against Bikerush

Same that would rule

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

I am 99% true this is false. The guy who mentioned elite ifvs being broken is 100% right though. Actually, Elite anythings are hilariously strong. I absolutely love it

Yeah RA2 elites were amazing. Any mod that nerfs em deserves a slap.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I get mad when the version of In Trouble without lyrics plays on the jukebox.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Stealth tank needs double its hp to be good. Its pathetic atm imo and thats a she for something hyped up as Nods super weapon.

For AI harvester ganking I just use like 6 recon bikes.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mordja posted:

So are repair pads actually worth it?

They repair 4 hp a tick but the big WTF is repairs cost 50% of unit cost in TD.

RA2 has it at 15% iirc which is much better.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Escape Goat posted:

The best pathfinding/logic is when you ask artillery or V2 launchers to attack static defence and they just casually roll up right in front of it and get obliterated.

Lost 6 artillery to this bug last mission using a mod that supposedly improves path finding lol. Its the worst.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Its splash damage on the depth charges being miniscule coupled with ballistic inaccuracy iirc

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Longbows definitely could use an hp nerf

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

...since when can Orcas shoot at airborne Chinooks??

Always could :sicko:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

nexus6 posted:

The Veterancy mod for TD just updated (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2157643234&tscn=1594486072) to add in configurable building distance, A* pathfinding and rally points. I'm really enjoying using it as it now gives you a reason to keep units alive instead of replacing them. Units can also fire out of APC, like in Generals, and an APC full of rocket soldiers is a murder machine

Hot drat, this owns

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Twisted Insurrection is alot of fun

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TS on a 28k modem was my first MP RTS experience. I... lagged out..............

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

KWs weak spot was campaign map design since it was (iirc) skirmish maps, but the factions and story ruled. And yeah, 3 def merits playing still.

Forgot the CNC3 mod that added a bunch of poo poo from TS, but it was a blast too. Theres a mod to restore Vanilla 1.0 balance settings too which is a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mordja posted:

So, is there a C&C4 apologia community yet?

I believe so. They're burning in Hell ofc.