Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
So is it out yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Tempted to reload my save and try destroying the airstrip since i burnt out on mission 7.

That's kinda where I'm at. The AI also gets particularly aggressive under attack - you can manipulate this in some ways by attacking and running. But also, it feels like they start producing units really fast/hard. Shooting the hand of nod turns it into a clown car, apparently.

I'm actually wondering if the AI plays by the rules in campaign - in mission 7 it felt like the AI had a nearly inexhaustible ability to pump out units despite only having one refinery.

It can get to be pretty frustrating with the AI’s ability to poo poo out units at an incredible rate, but if you just focus on hunting down their harvesters they will eventually run out of money. This strategy works particularly well for late-stage Nod missions, since you can quickly knock out the harvesters with rocket bikes, then when the AI sends all its units after the bikes you can lead them back to your base and fry them with obelisks. The AI will always prioritize replacing harvesters, which at like $1500 or so a pop means they will bankrupt themselves pretty quickly as long as you keep up the attack on the replacement harvesters. The AI can cheat in a lot of ways, but once they run out of money they’re just as hosed as a human would be.

Alkydere posted:

Don't attack the enemy harvester unless you're ready for the AI to mobilize it's entire army against you.

Yeah, if you’re gonna use this strategy you do need to go into turtle mode a little bit; make sure your base is well-defended!

Sheen Sheen fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 6, 2020

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

THE BAR posted:

The original had the AI not cheat itself to infinite money, which it could feel like at times, but rather it sold things at x10 the cost.

Nostalgamus posted:

Unless they've changed the AI, you just need one bike. Because recon bikes are flagged as squishable (though I've never actually seen it happen) the harvester will try to squish the bike, and it will never stop trying to that until the bike is dead. So you just shoot the harvester once and drive home to your defenses, and the harvester will (slowly) drive over to get killed along with all the units trying to defend it.

Alkydere posted:

On the other hand, if you use Orcas it cheese the AI and they don't retaliate. But you need like 6-7 orcas to one-shot pop a harvester.

...wow, I never knew any of these things. I swear I’m going to figure out how to crush a bike someday lol

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Man, the GDI campaign really doesn’t want you to be able to build tanks, huh

Super annoying that you can’t build tanks until more than halfway through the campaign but Nod can squish your soldiers with reckless abandon using light tanks by Mission 4

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Angry Lobster posted:

The thought process behind the design of both campaigns is basically annoy the player as much as possible, old school style.

I've just completed Nod map 6.c (Nigeria) and it was just a colossal pain in the rear end to complete.

It wouldn’t be so bad if it let you build rocket infantry a little earlier (I think I got access to them like one mission earlier than the medium tank), but as it stands your only anti-tank option leading up to that is grenadiers, and if they don’t get squished by the Nod light tanks they’ll probably blow themselves up by standing too close to their own explosions

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Vlex posted:

That RA mission was actually one of my favourite Soviet ones, however I'm 100% with you on how terrible those other two GDI missions are.

This mission always took me forever as a kid; I was always too slow so the AI would manage to build a massive base on the island, and the only way I could win was to build a fuckton of subs to clear the waters then build a fuckton of tanks to D-Day the island. The Allied naval advantage is largely useless in the grand scheme of things, but on that map in particular it really hammers home how garbage the Soviet subs are

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Is there a way to keep units in formation so the fast units don’t speed ahead of the slow ones and get massacred before my tanks can get there, or did this game predate that kind of option?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I imagine we’ll be getting TS and RA2 remasters at some point in the future (fingers crossed!), but what I’m really hoping for is that this whole experiment renews interest in C&C enough for EA to take it seriously again and maybe bring the franchise back from the dead with games that are actually good

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

power crystals posted:

How the hell does this place not have a monkey's paw smilie.

Hey, I put the “games that are actually good” caveat in there! :v:

I know EA sucks and all, but it’s not like there haven’t been any good C&C games since EA acquired the C&C IP; RA2/YR, which I consider to be the pinnacle of C&C and the RTS genre as a whole, was published by EA, and Generals, C&C3 and RA3 and their expansions are all well-regarded games even if they weren’t as popular as the games that came before it. The fact that EA allowed Petroglyph to make the remasters without meddling too much, and the fact that people seem to be buying the remasters, gives me a tiny bit of optimism for the future of a franchise I had thought was dead and buried.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I would take a Generals sequel. Or a Tiberium sequel. Or a Red Alert sequel. Hell, I would take any new RTS game with a fun single player campaign at this point, I think C&C3 was the last time I played one

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Did you play Grey Goo? Or maybe Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak?

I didn’t play either of those—since the remasters have me on an RTS kick maybe I should try them out. I also still own RA3 through Origin; I should probably get around to finally playing that too. I seem to recall Petroglyph made a Star Wars RTS a while back—how does that one hold up?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

I heard that for C&C3, the unit changes for multiplayer hosed up the campaign balance. Does that apply to RA3?

Is that why my go-to strategy of APCs with Rocket Troopers didn’t work nearly as well when I tried to play through the GDI campaign like a year ago?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

OneEightHundred posted:

IMO RA3 is pretty infuriating because it was designed for 2-player co-op and in SP half of your money goes to your worthless AI partner that does nothing but send units single-file into the wood chipper.

That’s part of the reason I never played it; all the previews were focusing on the co-op aspect of it and that’s something that I never really wanted in C&C. Also I know RA has the the reputation as being the “wacky” C&C, but something about the general aesthetic of RA3 seemed like they went overboard in the wackety schmackety direction.

But people say it’s good, and I own it, so I might as well give it a shot!

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
For the later Nod missions I always built way more obelisks than was necessary, if you build one or two of them close to the water they should take care of the boat

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Not that this is a situation that comes up very often, but I feel like a 1-on-1 rocket trooper vs. tank duel can actually favor the rocket trooper, as long as you can micromanage its movement enough to avoid getting squished

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I got the ion cannon cutscene and I left the temple for last, then finished it off with the ion cannon

Now I’m wondering what the cutscene would have been like if they added a unique ending for capturing and selling the temple :v:

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Is it just the advanced guard towers that can shoot down the cargo planes? (and SAM sites if it’s Nod vs. Nod in multiplayer)

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Sininu posted:

It's the most hilarious C&C game I've ever seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IJSDWOBmLk&t=698s
Timestamped to where it gets fun.

Lmao @ the dueling engineers

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I definitely think TS has my favorite aesthetic of the whole C&C series. I love the way the future tech and units look, and I love the whole bleak, pre-apocalypse (or maybe during-apocalypse) theme of everything. It’s still my least favorite of all the pre-Generals games for two reasons: an extremely brown color palette and the gameplay being a complete and utter slog. Everything moves at a glacial pace—the units moved slowly, the missions took forever and often demanded that you destroy every single laser fence post to win, and the maps were like at least twice the size of anything in RA. Every base-building mission played out the same: take forever to build up a slow-assed army, have it leisurely crawl over to the other side of a giant brown map, then ever-so-slowly dismantle the enemy base (don’t forget the fence posts!). When the devs for RA2 said that they emphasized speed in the lead-up to the games release I thought to myself “thank god they’re doing the polar opposite of TS”

tldr; I like everything about TS except actually playing it :v:

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Spookydonut posted:

TS had dynamic lighting.

Notice how RA2 didn't?

Is that why TS played at a snail’s pace and RA2 didn’t?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I also remember TS being considered a disappointment on release; was part of that because people were still riding high on StarCraft?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Doubt it. But I think it was the game's fairly muted palette that allowed the lighting to pop the way it did in Tib Sun- it would just have gotten lost in RA2's riot of colour

I don’t think TS’s “dynamic lighting” really enhanced the way the game looked at all. Like, my first reaction to the original quote of “notice how TS had dynamic lighting and RA2 didn’t” was “....no?”

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

drunkill posted:

TS lighting was supposed to have more game mechanics, stealth options with those light towers on base entrances playing a larger role in the game.

I do remember reading about this. In general a feel like a lot of games that came out back then ended up being significantly different than video game magazine previews would have you believe (like those crazy StarCraft images), more so than today. I think Fallout Tactics came out in the late 90s/early 2000s, and I distinctly remember in-game images on the back of the box and in magazines that 100% did not show up in the game (weapons, armor, and character models that were probably from an earlier build of the game).

I also remember the manual for C&C Generals said that the Chinese basic infantry had a bayonet melee attack that definitely was not in the final game.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Also apparently you can’t target or shoot down the Nod cargo plane anymore (I don’t think I ever managed to pull that off anyways)

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I know it’s fun to role play as a Nod zealot, but I’m not really sure where you’re getting the “Glorious Space Communists who are totally not a personality cult for a megalomaniac” from, they’re pretty clearly The Bad Guys what with...everything about them other than opposing the UN (and opposing the UN usually goes hand-in-hand with the worst kind of right-wing fascist trash, at least here in America)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
The whole “unit tries to wait until they are on top of an enemy to shoot at it rather than shooting from max range” makes naval units in RA super frustrating—it doesn’t matter which side you play as, because the AI will handle its navy units like ninja-snipers that will unload on your ships or subs the second they get into range while you furiously click on them and pray that your destroyers will actually shoot at the subs rather than try to move on top of them first