Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Generals 2 had a number of development issues IIRC, both with trying to wrap F2P mechanics around a competitive RTS and with trying to shoehorn RTS mechanics into the FPS-centric Frostbite engine. I suspect it wouldn't have been all that good if it did somehow escape into the cold, unforgiving light of day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Insert name here posted:

With the current popularity of battle royale games it's finally time for C&C Sole Survivor to take its rightful place as the greatest C&C game of all time

I came here to post this unironically. Well, at least it would be fun as a game mode.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
I wonder how the War on Terror-era satirical/farcical elements of Generals could be updated for modern times?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sheen Sheen posted:

I would take a Generals sequel. Or a Tiberium sequel. Or a Red Alert sequel. Hell, I would take any new RTS game with a fun single player campaign at this point, I think C&C3 was the last time I played one

Did you play Grey Goo? Or maybe Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak?

w0o0o0o posted:

I wonder how the War on Terror-era satirical/farcical elements of Generals could be updated for modern times?

The three factions could be Police, Antifa, and the National Guard!

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Did you play Grey Goo? Or maybe Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak?

I didn’t play either of those—since the remasters have me on an RTS kick maybe I should try them out. I also still own RA3 through Origin; I should probably get around to finally playing that too. I seem to recall Petroglyph made a Star Wars RTS a while back—how does that one hold up?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

w0o0o0o posted:

Just needs somebody brave enough to make America the bad guys. Or at least as equally bad as every other faction.

Nothing will ever match Doctor Thrax though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sheen Sheen posted:

I didn’t play either of those—since the remasters have me on an RTS kick maybe I should try them out. I also still own RA3 through Origin; I should probably get around to finally playing that too. I seem to recall Petroglyph made a Star Wars RTS a while back—how does that one hold up?

Kharak is an awesome, if short, playthrough and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a recent-ish RTS. I thought Grey Goo was well-produced but felt pretty miserable to play.

RA3 is definitely worth a playthrough, and so is Star Wars: Empire at War.

I'll throw Battlestar Galactica Deadlock out there, too. The strategy layer is pretty simplistic but the gameplay is a ton of fun.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fallom posted:

I heard that for C&C3, the unit changes for multiplayer hosed up the campaign balance. Does that apply to RA3?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
nah, ra3 is fine.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Unlucky7 posted:

I heard that for C&C3, the unit changes for multiplayer hosed up the campaign balance. Does that apply to RA3?

RA3 is a totally different game in terms of how patch integration and everything worked, as far as I know nothing they changed ever touched the campaigns.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

Is that why my go-to strategy of APCs with Rocket Troopers didn’t work nearly as well when I tried to play through the GDI campaign like a year ago?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Nod Spectre artillery in the CnC3 Tiberium Essence are annoying as gently caress in the GDI campaign

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Maybe there's a solution already posted in this thread, but I can't get RA to open. Black screen after I select it from the app launcher.

TD/reg C&C opens (though it did give me a black screen/not responding error once, but only once.)

Reboots and relaunches of Steam have no effect. Also verified files in Steam, nothing.

Saw some stuff online about disabling MSI Afterburner and Riva tuner, don't have those. Same re: GeForce experience.

It's Dell Latitude E5570, Intel Core i& and just integrated Intel HD 530 graphics.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Psycho Landlord posted:

RA3 is a totally different game in terms of how patch integration and everything worked, as far as I know nothing they changed ever touched the campaigns.

I ought to play RA3 sometime then. It is one of those games that I probably bought on sale but never really played. I remember funny tanks in the tutorial though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Sheen Sheen posted:

Is that why my go-to strategy of APCs with Rocket Troopers didn’t work nearly as well when I tried to play through the GDI campaign like a year ago?

Yeah, i went googling for an answer recently and it's been partially solved, but only if you have a copy of the game on CD.

Basically there are files that you can copy from the disc which enable you to set which version you're running. Those files are simply missing from the Steam and Origin versions.

I've not had a chance to test this yet though cos i can't find my old disks.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe there's a solution already posted in this thread, but I can't get RA to open. Black screen after I select it from the app launcher.

TD/reg C&C opens (though it did give me a black screen/not responding error once, but only once.)

Reboots and relaunches of Steam have no effect. Also verified files in Steam, nothing.

Saw some stuff online about disabling MSI Afterburner and Riva tuner, don't have those. Same re: GeForce experience.

It's Dell Latitude E5570, Intel Core i& and just integrated Intel HD 530 graphics.

I had this happen! After playing TD just fine, RA wouldn't launch. I verified files, still nothing. It turned out my hard drive that had RA installed on was critically low on space. I deleted some stuff, verified again, and then it started fine.

Twerk from Home posted:

C&C: Hardline

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I get the black screen thing but I just click and it starts with the intros. Not sure why.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Twerk from Home posted:

i would probably tweak the factions to make them more "cartoonish" and idiosyncratic, go for more of a RA1/RA2 vibe than a Generals vibe, but this actually seems workable

instead of having it directly be "the cops vs. antifa vs. the army," have it be a civil war between a horribly corrupted fascistic government force, a popular leftist uprising, and the last remnants of the "old" government. fash are unambiguous bad guys, leftist uprising are unambiguous good guys, old gov remnant are sort of stuck in the middle. fash have best vehicles but their infantry sucks (highly funded, poorly trained) and their superweapons are geared towards area denial/control rather than alpha-striking the enemy base, leftists have the worst individual units outright and esoteric/gimmicky superweapons but can rush those units fast and cheap (maybe a mechanic where they can produce their basic infantry for free, but what they're armed with is randomly rolled and you have relatively low chances of getting big guns, to simulate that they're essentially volunteers bringing their own kit), old gov remnant has good infantry but relatively bad vehicles (better-trained but worse funded) and direct drone strikes as the backbone of their superweapons.

come up with a Bizarro Kane for the leftist uprising and get Joe Kucan to play him, make up similar OTT aesthetics and characters for the other sides, and voila, you've got yourself an RTS

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Insert name here posted:

With the current popularity of battle royale games it's finally time for C&C Sole Survivor to take its rightful place as the greatest C&C game of all time

I was just thinking this the other day. Isn't Sole Survivor a very early example of that genre?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Chronojam posted:

I had this happen! After playing TD just fine, RA wouldn't launch. I verified files, still nothing. It turned out my hard drive that had RA installed on was critically low on space. I deleted some stuff, verified again, and then it started fine.

Def have plenty of free space, hundreds of gigs, and it's an SSD.

Edit: Did a full uninstall and reinstall, RA launches just fine now, but I can't get it to go to windowed mode. I choose the option, hit ok, and nothing happens, just puts me back to the RA main menu, even after exiting and reloading. Tried putting it at a lower resolution first, that works, but still will not go windowed.

As before, regular/TD C&C can go into windowed mode just fine.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 10, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Fallom posted:

Kharak is an awesome, if short, playthrough and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a recent-ish RTS. I thought Grey Goo was well-produced but felt pretty miserable to play.

I'll throw Battlestar Galactica Deadlock out there, too. The strategy layer is pretty simplistic but the gameplay is a ton of fun.

I never realized Star Wars: Empire at War was from Westwood alums. It reminded me of a more interesting/fun version of Star Wars: Rebellion which was a game I sunk hundreds of hours into as a kid.

Kin posted:

Yeah, i went googling for an answer recently and it's been partially solved, but only if you have a copy of the game on CD.

Basically there are files that you can copy from the disc which enable you to set which version you're running. Those files are simply missing from the Steam and Origin versions.

I've not had a chance to test this yet though cos i can't find my old disks.

See below for info on how to fix C&C3

I also found a patch for both CNC3 and CNC3: Kane's Wrath that revert the multiplayer patch changes so the single player campaign isn't maddening while keeping all the bugfixes.

CNC3 Vanilla:https://old.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/fytsgu/cc_3_tiberium_wars_is_too_bloody_hard_i_just_give/fn1y90i/

quote:

Here is the mod: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai9P494k5Pw3hM1IkdyA0T0u5ICT3A?e=P0yfSq

To install for the Steam / Origin version on Windows 10, you first need to install Bibber's Fixed Launchers: https://www.dropbox.com/s/96bfdwv7owdzw4b/cnc-ultimate-collection-launchers.zip?dl=0
In Steam, right click on CNC3 > Properties > Set Launch Options and enter '-ui'. This can also be done in the 'Target' field of any shortcut.
Unzip the contents of the zip to %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars\Mods. If the folder(s) does not exist, create it.
Launch Tiberium Wars. A second launcher should pop up instead of the game. Choose Game Browser and navigate to the Mods tab. Select the mod and launch the game!

For this make sure your mods folder is set up so the path is"..\Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars\Mods\TiberiumEssence". You also might need to unpack the .big file. If so use this: http://www.cnclabs.com/downloads/details.aspx?id=240

CNC3 Kane's Wrath: https://www.moddb.com/mods/kanes-wrath-classic/downloads/kanes-wrath-classic-100-v2

This also requires the WrathEd mod launcher because for some reason the game doesn't come with a mod launching system like the base game does. Link: https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=58707

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 10, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
edit: quote is not edit, double post

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
IMO RA3 is pretty infuriating because it was designed for 2-player co-op and in SP half of your money goes to your worthless AI partner that does nothing but send units single-file into the wood chipper.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

this happened like three or four patches in during the games release, probably less than six months after release it was virtually impossible to beat some campaign missions (esp. GDI Croatia) due to unit nerfs

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

OneEightHundred posted:

IMO RA3 is pretty infuriating because it was designed for 2-player co-op and in SP half of your money goes to your worthless AI partner that does nothing but send units single-file into the wood chipper.

Definitely hated that portion as well

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mazz posted:

Definitely hated that portion as well

So is it like certain missions or is the entire game like that?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

OneEightHundred posted:

That’s part of the reason I never played it; all the previews were focusing on the co-op aspect of it and that’s something that I never really wanted in C&C. Also I know RA has the the reputation as being the “wacky” C&C, but something about the general aesthetic of RA3 seemed like they went overboard in the wackety schmackety direction.

But people say it’s good, and I own it, so I might as well give it a shot!

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I also felt they were negatively effected by esports/SC2 at the time, trying to be all "esport pro skills" making every single unit have a secondary function. Sometimes I just want a simple unit to go click click boom boom. RA2 / Generals had that aspect done perfectly.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

That’s part of the reason I never played it; all the previews were focusing on the co-op aspect of it and that’s something that I never really wanted in C&C. Also I know RA has the the reputation as being the “wacky” C&C, but something about the general aesthetic of RA3 seemed like they went overboard in the wackety schmackety direction.

But people say it’s good, and I own it, so I might as well give it a shot!

I mean, that wackety schmackety tone gave us this glorious thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

this happened like three or four patches in during the games release, probably less than six months after release it was virtually impossible to beat some campaign missions (esp. GDI Croatia) due to unit nerfs

Isnt the fix for this just not to turn on patches? I had no issue on my recent playthrough via Origin

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Isnt the fix for this just not to turn on patches? I had no issue on my recent playthrough via Origin

How would you turn those off in Origin? I was under the impression it just downloaded whatever the latest version was rather than the base which is then updated?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

So is it like certain missions or is the entire game like that?

The entire campaign is designed for co-op. Every map has two allied bases. From what I've seen you can clown on it pretty easily with two people because the difficulty was kept low enough that a solo player would not be held back by the AI. It was still a fun campaign solo though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kin posted:

How would you turn those off in Origin? I was under the impression it just downloaded whatever the latest version was rather than the base which is then updated?

I.... have no idea, sorry. I'll look into it, but yeah, I installed TW when I built my pc, so two years ago, and had no issues playing through the campaign. I haven't modded it or anything so :shrug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fishbus posted:

I also felt they were negatively effected by esports/SC2 at the time, trying to be all "esport pro skills" making every single unit have a secondary function. Sometimes I just want a simple unit to go click click boom boom. RA2 / Generals had that aspect done perfectly.

I mean you can still do that. Using abilities just made them more effective.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I.... have no idea, sorry. I'll look into it, but yeah, I installed TW when I built my pc, so two years ago, and had no issues playing through the campaign. I haven't modded it or anything so :shrug:

Well, right now origin is such a piece of poo poo that it wont even launch the game for me. I found an option to turn off autoupdates but from what i've read about it, the version it downloads is the latest one. It doesn't get the base and then install patches.

The single player campaigns isn't unbeatable with the balance changes, it just gets hard on certain missions IIRC, so you might not even have noticed if you never played the base version.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just buy the game on Origin and download the ISOs somewhere. I have like three retail copies lying around and licenses on Steam and Origin so I feel no shame.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I mean you can still do that. Using abilities just made them more effective.

For sure, it's just that I find it puts more emphasis on micro.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kin posted:

Well, right now origin is such a piece of poo poo that it wont even launch the game for me. I found an option to turn off autoupdates but from what i've read about it, the version it downloads is the latest one. It doesn't get the base and then install patches.

The single player campaigns isn't unbeatable with the balance changes, it just gets hard on certain missions IIRC, so you might not even have noticed if you never played the base version.

Nah I played it when it first came out way back when and I don't recall it being significantly harder now. For some reason I thought singleplayer remained unchanged but hell I can't remember

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I’d definitely recommend playing RA3 coop. Ts clearly designed for that. They went overboard with the wacky stuff but it’s still fun for a playthrough with a friend. It helps paper over some of its shortcomings.

RA3 is sort of like the later seasons of the office where a lot of the cleverness is substituted with zany or absurd humour. It just isn’t quite right, the shark has been jumped, but it’s competently made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
RA3 is probably my least favourite C&C game but it's still decent enough.