Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

RA is definitely my preferred C&C, no question. But C&C was my only for 3 years or whatever until I could get RA, and those years were a lot of fun. I even did some dial-up multiplayer with school friends. It was such a pain in the rear end and took forever to actually work, but when it did it was joyous as hell. Also I played the original c&c and Red Alert on a 486dx 66mhz. It was SLOOOOOOW but when that's all you've got, you learn to deal with it as a kid. I beat both GDI, NOD, most of the Covert Ops mission, and Red Alert + the expansions. :allears:

I hear you on the 486dx2... I remember I could only run RA in DOS mode (320x200 or 240) and tried some “486 to Pentium” crap to get it to run on Win95. We would always fight for my dad’s real pentium when we would IPX LAN at my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does the new RA come with upscaled themes?

It would be sweet to run Windows 10 with this pointer:

The original Window 95 RA installer, as was cool to do at the time, came with themes to change your desktop color scheme, some main icons, and cursor/pointers for selection, window management, and all. Make your computer startup sound like a Tesla coil! The original Allied wallpaper had my friends asking wtf they were doing to that girl.

I spent entirely too much time carving up the original archive to extract the cursor for this post so here are the original wallpapers for fun:

Hed fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 8, 2020

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fallom posted:

Humvee is trademarked.

Are they still using the “Return to base immediately” clip from Paramount (Top Gun)?

Edit: yes I know trademark law is different than copyright. Just wondering how much lawyering is going on.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavik posted:

Found my old C&C strategy guide from storage for a read and to help with a mission or two. Its great with all the little bits backstory and world building written in it. As a bonus it has stuck on the inside and backside covers, printouts of GDI and NOD bases made in their respective final missions. I must of done this back around 1998 or 1999. Must have had a bit of free time time on my hands with the base layouts and that I had both sides construction yards at my disposal.

That's awesome, thanks for sharing :)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Insert name here posted:

With the current popularity of battle royale games it's finally time for C&C Sole Survivor to take its rightful place as the greatest C&C game of all time

I came here to post this unironically. Well, at least it would be fun as a game mode.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Haha, I always remembered reading strategy guides (on Usenet probably) that at a high level, allied light tanks were more effective since you could basically dodge shots as long as numbers of tanks in the engagement were low.

edit: dude needs to spam X between shots.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It would be cool to have the super mega tile size maps like in RA put into TD multiplayer now that the engines are the same.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yes but instead of “reinforcements have arrived” the AI voice says “comin’ in hot!”

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
drat I hope they roll out >4 player for TD and bigger map support.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Very excited for the 16th's "WEB BROWER GAME"

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
THAT is actually really cool, I was just making fun of the typo [WEB BROWER] in what looked like an official graphic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

YoursTruly posted:

Surely we'll be getting a Sole Survivor remaster next, right?

A few people in the thread are in agreement: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919118&userid=52140#post505580856
Especially with the popularity of battle royale games, maybe it could work.