Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Dandywalken posted:

Look at the lack of means to repair/heal units in Tiberian Dawn for instance. That poo poo wont fly in a more modern RTS.

Just use a repair bay after spending so much to get it. Or if you don't want to bother, use the building sell cursor over it to sell the tank or whatever instead!

Or get soldiers real close to sandbag walls, and use the building sell cursor on them :v:

Remember you can also command a guard tower to "stop" selling itself to generate extra soldiers which then get sandbag-sell-cursored into quick funds because the original games have neat bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

This is pretty cool. I wonder how my nostalgia will hold up with these things. I loved me some Red Alert and the ant mission were fun. I don't remember how the dinosaur missions worked, I played them and the dinosaurs were invisible, and buggy, but they had great sound effects which I'm pretty sure were just westwood employees making dinosaur noises.

I vaguely recall that being an issue with the demo version of the game

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Flannelette posted:

Someone explain how he looks the same as he did 25 years ago :tinfoil:.

He looks the same as he did 2000 years ago, my dude.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I'm loving it. Played a bunch of multiplayer for both, then fired up a GDI campaign. Fantastic. The funniest part was when I selected the helicopter in the commando mission as it flew in, which made it fly towards all the SAM sites and explode immediately.

One of the mods that's up lets you build walls in the modern way which could make them useful beyond stretching obelisks into the enemy base. I forgot how constricted it can be in the original game without much inherent building spacing.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Do you unlock more gallery stuff by doing all the variations of each mission? I have been doing all of them so far but I haven't been paying attention to see if it actually does anything.

Mouse over them to see what you need to do

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

VodeAndreas posted:

<DestroyWalls>false</DestroyWalls>
<ContentScan>false</ContentScan>

Does this mean you can't cheese with walls/sandbags on Hard?

What's the ContentScan one mean, any idea?

Ancient memories suggest it's whether or not the ai evaluated if that APC is full of engineers or not, things like that

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Stack those airfields from the bottom to the top, that's how we do it

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Pararoid posted:

I'm really surprised this is getting a positive reaction; the game chugging on Allies mission 1 on my RTX 2070 was easily enough for me to refund, let alone the half-assed upgrades that seem to both remove the classic feel while also addressing none of the actual issuee; mainly the utterly dreadful AI.

Another in the Warcraft 3: Reforged pile for me, unfortunately.

My 1080 runs it fine and my 2080 runs it fine. As to the rest, well, maybe you should play with original graphics on hard mode :)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Original game shipped with all the boxing graphics, too

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Using even the modem wall construction workshop mod disabled online play for me

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe there's a solution already posted in this thread, but I can't get RA to open. Black screen after I select it from the app launcher.

TD/reg C&C opens (though it did give me a black screen/not responding error once, but only once.)

Reboots and relaunches of Steam have no effect. Also verified files in Steam, nothing.

Saw some stuff online about disabling MSI Afterburner and Riva tuner, don't have those. Same re: GeForce experience.

It's Dell Latitude E5570, Intel Core i& and just integrated Intel HD 530 graphics.

I had this happen! After playing TD just fine, RA wouldn't launch. I verified files, still nothing. It turned out my hard drive that had RA installed on was critically low on space. I deleted some stuff, verified again, and then it started fine.

Twerk from Home posted:

The three factions could be Police, Antifa, and the National Guard!

C&C: Hardline

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

w0o0o0o posted:

Finally after all of these years I got to see the wrong cutscene

That sounds like a bug to me.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Oh my gosh that's right everything is green-screened and now we've got source video

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Hed posted:

Haha, I always remembered reading strategy guides (on Usenet probably) that at a high level, allied light tanks were more effective since you could basically dodge shots as long as numbers of tanks in the engagement were low.

edit: dude needs to spam X between shots.

The real strategy is plotting waypoints while managing engagement distances, not hammering X to hope for the best.

And keeping your loving V2 launchers from blowing their load early.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

One thing I remember as a kid was that the chrono tank sucked. I didn't remember that it cost 2400 credits though. :psyduck:

The part that sucks is they select-all instead of teleporting if you double click

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, it's pretty bad with Seth's briefing having maps that point to actively different countries than where you clicked. Just in case you didn't miss that the names were wrong. No wonder he's getting kinda pissed at you after a while: He tells you to go to point A, you go to point B, and Kane still loves your work!

Seth is a self interested rear end in a top hat first and foremost, and sometimes he's trying to get you to do the wrong thing or literally telling you what other more important people :smug: are doing and that you need to figure out the rest.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What Aftermath units are overpowered in multiplayer?

Tesla tanks are really good if you control them, iirc

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

obese retard posted:

PlanetCNC is still up? What the heck?!

No kidding, but I guess hosting is cheap

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Kane's Wrath and RA3 definitely were some of the best C&C play there is with good ideas about balance and what the gameplay flow is like, but RA2 also owns so very much.

The originals are like awesome junk food.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Flannelette posted:

TS also had my favorite unit, robot that just flies off into the fog of war and blows up one random enemy.

Me and me best friend from middle school were wrapping up a multiplayer thing when he got wrecked but escaped an MCV. I picked it up with a carry-all and spent what felt like easily five minutes running away from a loving hunter-killer that was chasing it, until I misclicked and started to land and it caught up and blew up his MCV.

So in conclusion who is to say if they are good or bad,

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

drunkill posted:

Here is the trailer I made... 14 bloody years ago to give to EA to show off at gamescom on a loop, goddamn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05cf2WPJ98w
Man, that was a long time ago. For content, here's the C&C3 executive producer holding a promo poster you made, from that very same event in Leipzig

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Narmer posted:

So other than the secret dinosaur/ant missions and the production videos, are there any other secrets or unlockable content in this?

There is also pre-release music, some photos of WW circa 1995; it's not all production videos although that's the vast majority.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

gary oldmans diary posted:

The stealth tank was a bit of a leap in technology for the terrorist group that doesn't even manufacture its own tanks. All of a sudden Kane is talking about his prototype being stolen by GDI and I have questions about the organization's infrastructure.

And don't forget the obelisks! Big geometric forms implied to be AI housings with somewhat otherworldly architectural details with powerful and unerring ray attacks. Contrast that with a couple guys in a tower aiming machine guns or targeting missiles like GDI gets.

It's almost like there's a lot more going on with Nod than you'd think from the early briefings.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I remember making migs faster in ra1, and they'd overshoot and just lay on the ground when you'd try to repair them

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Editing V2s so they're melee but carry nukes

This is an existing unit, though

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The best part has always been AI rocket soldier micro, who basically can shoot mid-run

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

...since when can Orcas shoot at airborne Chinooks??

Wait till longbows are hunting your hinds

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also I've posted this in other threads but IMO an acceptable alternate reading of Tiberian Dawn is that it is basically an unlicensed GI-JOE game, with NOD as COBRA.

At the time, Micro Machines military forces were also available in the same colors as GDI and Nod, so you could play along with toy medium tanks and Nod buggies.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Megaforce also had tick tanks!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Fallom posted:

I hate this for making me realize how weird the perspective is in TD/RA

Your brain wants to see it as something like 45 degrees but iirc it's really closer to 60 for buildings and 15 for infantry (and who knows what the gently caress is up with the GDI AGT).

The later isometric games were really a dimetric orthogonal view, at 30 degrees. So it's jarring as hell to put them together.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

Then Renegade went full Saturday morning cartoons with red and black Nod tanks, but TD itself made a token effort to base the low and mid-tier units on real-world designs.

The early previews looked a lot more gritty or grounded, but then there was a redesign and the original main character only exists as an oddly detailed NPC in the tutorial.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Mordja posted:

No clue if it's any good, but some guy's made a whole fan-campaign already.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2179635599

"Already?" Pfft, he's over twenty years late

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Mordja posted:

Big Dev Video on Renegade X Firestorm and it's looking pretty drat cool, and quite a departure from its predecessor. Shame I don't much like Renegade's actual shooting...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnX-OL6xpVc
I really like that Tick Tank redesign.

The team's willing to take some liberties in what look like very good directions. If you like the series at all this is going to be worth a look.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

YoursTruly posted:

Why the third faction didn't get anti air infantry is baffling to me.

In the expansion they did! Pretty good ones, too.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

Wasn't the expansion SP only?

Unfortunately yes :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

I also remember all the crazy stuff they promised would happen in TS that got cut for time.

Funnily nough everything I wanted TS to be, I got with Red Alert 2. That game and C&C 3 are the C&C games I am smashing for!

To be fair this is how the series worked. Everything feature they missed in one game, happened in the next. The terrain changes and gas and stuff was supposed to be in RA1 iirc.