Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I'm legit excited for this. Really hoping that C&C 2/RA 2 are down the pipeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Chronojam posted:

Remember you can also command a guard tower to "stop" selling itself to generate extra soldiers which then get sandbag-sell-cursored into quick funds because the original games have neat bugs.

:aaa: I had no idea you could do that.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Pre-loading!

Also glad to see that there is a difficulty slider for C&C 1 now. That game was crazy hard without exploits.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 3, 2020

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Spookydonut posted:

it's trivially easy because literally everything is scripted, in a lot of maps if you rush a few units as far as you can it will stop some of the regular timed attacks.

I just remember running out of tiberium and money really fast and, units being so expensive, you had to do a lot with so little. Red Alert was slightly more forgiving in that respect.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Holy poo poo! This turned out good.

Played a bit of skirmish and it plays pretty much like the originals. Like others are saying: that installation intro was incredibly well done. I'm glad they found a clever way to put it into the remaster. The upscaled vids are a wee bit weird but I prefer them from the interlaced versions.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Fallom posted:

It's funny seeing people get reminded of how difficult C&C was back in the day. The missions where you just straight-up get a base to build up are the easy ones - everything else is kind of a murderously difficult puzzle.

Yeah I remember, as a teenager, having to slow the game down to the slowest level possible to pull of insane micromanagement attacks and dodges at times. That thing was the original difficulty slider.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Laterite posted:

A nice mod would be one that bumps up Tiberium regen a bit. Last night playing PvE I ran into the classic problem where everyone snarfs up the Tiberium so it's a combination of harvesters going all over the map to scrape up 1 or 2 blocks worth, and the armies being reduced to selling buildings for riflemen and whatever vehicles you have left just to sit in a stalemate.

I thought either that or Tiberium should be more valuable. Each haul brings in enough to build like two tanks at most.

Heck, making a second base in C&C 1 isn't that advisable on smaller maps because of the $5000 needed for an MCV, when that could buy you like 30 grenadiers.

For those struggling with the campaign: There is no shame in using the travelling sandbag tactic to block off the enemies entrances and to cordon off areas for tiberium to regrow. It's also a better way to build expansions and spaced-buildings than to build an MCV. To win without gaming the travelling sandbag strat, lots of save scumming will be involved.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 8, 2020

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

gary oldmans diary posted:

I'm makin the tiberium last doing a checkerboard pattern as long as I can and then doing the alternate squares once the first ones have reseeded.
:shepface: Tiberium takes over the planet earlier in my playthrough.

Oh god. Micro'ing the harvesters sounds dreadful.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sheen Sheen posted:

I imagine we’ll be getting TS and RA2 remasters at some point in the future (fingers crossed!), but what I’m really hoping for is that this whole experiment renews interest in C&C enough for EA to take it seriously again and maybe bring the franchise back from the dead with games that are actually good

I think someone mentioned there was a very vague hint that they're in production: In the Kane Lives vid, in the transparent background text to the right, there is a quote about Red Alert 2.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Spookydonut posted:

Surely thats a new bug.

Nope! Not sure if it is 100% reliable but the poster speaks the truth.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

:perfect:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

If you're able to destroy the GDI communications center in the Nod campaigns, that will also stop the airstrikes.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Just started playing some multiplayer TD games and they are stupid amounts fun. I suck at it and don't really take the games seriously but I like that things are much simpler compared to other RTS's and I find things are less stressful to handle. Games are only about 15 minutes long and units don't have spells and abilities that you have to micromanage.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Genuinely surprised for the TS love in this thread, granted its been twenty years but I recall Tiberian Sun being roundly disliked when it came out

Yeah I was surprised too that so many people look fondly at TS. I was pretty *meh* about it when it came out and didn't know that many other people played it. I recall that Red Alert 1 & 2 were more popular than the tiberium series.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Poil posted:

I just realized that the silo mechanic is actually a brilliant design decision to make players spend their resources instead of uselessly hoarding them. Probably accidentally because it was added long before rts multiplayer was a thing. Losing the game while sitting on 10-15k credits, gee I wonder why that wasn't a win.

If tiberium had more worth or faster growth, building a silo might be feasible. In Red Alert, the silos are merely a cheaper way to extend my base out.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

All in all I was pretty happy with the release. I beat TD and currently working on RA and all I can say is that I'm glad modding support was added so I could download some quality of life changes (like attack-moving). I also enjoyed watching the youtube videos that delved into the source code and talked about how the A.I. worked.

I'm really hoping TS and RA2 are next and get the same level of treatment.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I literally had no idea TibSun was even on OpenRA. I feel out of touch.

There is an OpenRA version of Red Alert II as well: https://www.moddb.com/mods/romanovs-vengeance

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

C&C 4 is still overpriced. Don't buy it even if its free.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Arrrthritis posted:

Isn't it also impossible to validate new games of it anymore?

Like, they shut down the server they used for validating CD keys?

Yup!

It should really be removed from the storefront.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 22, 2020

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Mordja posted:

Finally, the OpenRA game everyone's been waiting for has arrived. It's been years in the making, but they've finally done it, gentlemen, they remade Swarm Assault.

I've never heard of this game before. I went to watch a youtube video of a mission being played and What. The. gently caress.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Renegade Multiplayer was one of the most fun experiences I had way back when, only shadowed by Starsiege Tribes.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Mustached Demon posted:

Red Alert 2 remake when? Pinnacle of the series.

Petroglyph is currently working on [Unlisted RTS] for EA right after C&C Remastered was released, and it was also noted recently that C&C 1: Remastered was the "first" of the remasters. You can probably take a guess as to what's coming next.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Mordja posted:

Dune 2000 remake.

AI upscaled John Rhys Davies would be sick.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

I've been playing Tiberian Dawn again and it kind of comes off as a really weird game. It nails everything in art design and 90's culture at the time (cheesy FMV videos, kick rear end 90's style soundtrack, middle east conflict and tv news propaganda, lovely cyberspace sequences) and at the same time it's utterly insane. The story about a biosphere-destroying substance that people want to harvest instead of fix, soldiers dying from exposure to it like the use of white phosphorous and military burn-pits in Iraq, both sides of the conflict releasing 30 second tiktok CGI propaganda videos to the player between missions, and the economy only allows you to field small groups of over-priced, flaky and extremely fragile units whose each loss is extremely devastating. In fact it's not a bad strategy to sell all your buildings, down to stripping out the copper wire, just to eek out a few more dollars before attacking. The game predicted the state of military and political affairs of our current era.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 22, 2024

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Fajita Queen posted:

I really hope that we get better pathfinding and overall unit control in a TS/RA2 remaster. Those are the worst parts of TD/RA1 in the remaster of those and its not even close.

There is steam workshop mod for the remastered versions that implements A* (same pathfinding algorithm used for TS/RA2) for both TD and RS, on top of other QOL improvements. It should of been put in the remasters but it was decided to have it "true to the original" as possible in the retail release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Mordja posted:

Dawg, what, that thing's iconic.

I loved transporting that thing around in multiplayer games to pick off the opponents harvesters.