Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
cthulhu didn't die though

it could still come back at any time and there's no actual way for us to kill it for good
that is in fact the same tone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

StillFullyTerrible posted:

it could still come back at any time and there's no actual way for us to kill it for good

I'd rather die under the blazing fist of an undead elder god than refrain from throwing the first molotov

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I think we should get out and contact civilization. Become a test subject, provide information about the nature of the forest.

Maybe we have the potential to spread this curse. Maybe exposure to the real world will kill us if we leave the protective embrace of the forest ecology. Maybe society will be hostile to what we've become.

But we have been filled with a desire to escape from day 1, and I feel that we would have naught to accomplish in life by simply staying put and waiting to become one with the forest.

I think it is useless to consider harming the forest. You would need nuclear power or a genetically engineered disease or incredible feats of engineering to affect it. Anything less, even just conventional weapons, would likely do nothing. If humanity truly sees the forest as a danger, then the best they can do is attempt to contain it, until they figure out how it truly spreads.

I have a feeling that the petrification is part and parcel of the outside world's response to the forest's growth. I hope I'm wrong. If this is indeed the case, then it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things in regards to what we really do with anyone else in the game.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Nope nope nope. gently caress this, gently caress that, gently caress all those folks. Even our attempts at doing good have blown up in our face. Leave, don't look back. Get as deep into urban sprawl as humanly possible and never think or speak of this again. :colbert:

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Man, I don’t know what we want. There was a vision of us in a peaceful house, with a sleeping partner, do we want that? I have a feeling we won’t get it, if it was ever even real. I kind of wonder about the outside world, is it still there? I’ve got this crazy idea that maybe things outside the darkwood are even more messed up and that tree we burned was like a woody evangelion, a way for something of humanity to survive whatever is happening out there. There’s not really any evidence of that, just a hunch.

We do want to survive though, that’s one thing we know. Even if it means merging into some kind of posthuman tree hybrid abomination.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I don't think this guy wants to survive if there's no Barq's root beer in Poland.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

barq's is a bad root beer that tries to compensate for its taste with the gimmick of added caffeine, our friend is better off without such frippery

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Part of me wants us to walk up to the last door, get asked for something we won't give up (or be unable to say the password) and just sit down against the last door and turn to stone/wood/mold, sealing it shut.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

You just gotta get a fleet of icebreakers and have them constantly doing Figure Eights over C'thulhu's head, constantly punching him out.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Would it even work a second time? I figure Cthulhu getting hit by the steamer is like when you get up in the morning, step on a plug and just go straight back to bed because gently caress off, today

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Crane Fist posted:

Would it even work a second time? I figure Cthulhu getting hit by the steamer is like when you get up in the morning, step on a plug and just go straight back to bed because gently caress off, today

Start spilling booze behind the icebreakers so that he dozes off more easily as well. Either he stays asleep, or he realizes that this place is uncomfortable and leaves to make his home on some other planet without the weird creatures who keep leaving LEGOs on his bedroom floor.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

hahahaha, what genre do you think we're in

if you nuke the forest it will just grow back, but now it'll be radioactive

Oh, I'm well aware. I am merely answering the question that was asked: what do I want us to do?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
You DO wonder why they haven't tried some massive firebombing.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Incidentally Bacter, what does the Polish (I assume) you put at the beginning of your videos mean?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
After all the misery of this game and what the character has been through, I just want the protag to find what they were looking for or to find happiness and peace. A happy ending is not something I'm expecting from this game. I'm not talking about a universal happiness either, just for the main character, you can't ask for too much.

Has the whole world been decimate already? Can the forest be stopped? Those questions are too big for us.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
We want out.

We also want answers - which we haven't found inside the forest. Everything we've accomplished has been in leaving.

As others said - report what we've seen, be studied, tell others what is going on inside. Possibly they will kill us because we're infected, but the forest is death by chompers or worse things.

Maybe no one is left outside? Or maybe once you've been exposed to the forest, you can't leave or you petrify. All those petrified people were running away.

But turning back now doesn't get us any more knowledge than we have now. And even if things will never go back to what they were, at least we will have some greater perspective on what we've been through.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
If I were in the protagonists shoes at least my first thought when having the chance of finally leaving this loving forest would be to basically find the nearest city that is nothing but concrete and asphalt and never ever even think of even the concept of trees again. I mean sure, eventually there would be thoughts of "maybe leaving some kinda hellforest completely unchecked" would pop up and we can hopefully provide some help by telling people of what we know, having scientists perform experiments (hopefully with our consent :v:) on whatever our body became now or at the very least by scaring the bejeezus out of the first guy we meet hard enough that they call the government/military and convice them to just carpet bomb that place into ashes. But I feel right now at least my priority would be to find a place of relative safety where I can rest without worrying about getting attacked by monsters during the night and from there figure out any further actions.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The reason there's been no firebombing is because the entire loving country is currently collapsing along with the entire Warsaw Pact and the dudes with the helicopters and the relatively few soldiers we've seen are the best that could be muster in response to the forest.

Honestly whatever this entire eldritch thing is picked a pretty good time and place for its... emergence? Manifestation?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Firebombing seems like a weird go to when we have no idea what the situation is outside- it's possible the rest of the world is normal and all that's happened as far as they're concerned is that someone in backwater Poland was like "hey, those woods are looking a bit weird. Maybe send a couple guys to have a look sometime"

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

They did burn the church, and a few more houses, too. I think they tried firebombing but the wood just wasn't having it. Maybe banshees/bird attacks brought down the choppers, planes… and rockets?

That's kind of why I think we're not on the side of truth and justice. It was our people that killed most the villagers. Because we were afraid of what the wood had done to them, like what it has now done to us.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I think we just need to move on. We can't stop the forest, and honestly our efforts have largely made things worse. We don't even really understand it, it just feels alien and hideous to us which drives us to want to destroy it.

Let's see what kind of help we can get for our condition, if it's even possible. If outside society rejects us I guess we go back to the forest or live as a woodsman and some other lest mutant forest. If we have to go back to the forest we kill wolfie, that's the one character I think we should have purged from the forest in our misadventure.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rawkking posted:

I think we just need to move on. We can't stop the forest, and honestly our efforts have largely made things worse. We don't even really understand it, it just feels alien and hideous to us which drives us to want to destroy it.

Let's see what kind of help we can get for our condition, if it's even possible. If outside society rejects us I guess we go back to the forest or live as a woodsman and some other lest mutant forest. If we have to go back to the forest we kill wolfie, that's the one character I think we should have purged from the forest in our misadventure.

I agree with just letting the forest be.

If the forest is attempting to create its own ecology, then I think we should leave wolfie be, and let the forest take care of him (or "take care" of him) in whatever way it wants.

What would life as a woodsman be, I wonder, if we lived for decades in the forest?

I consider technology to be incompatible with the forest, and eventually the gasoline will run dry and the metal will rust and disappear. In a hundred years, the only resources will be wood from the trees, mud from the swamps, and stones from the quarries. History will be scrawled on wood, or passed down orally. That is, if there continues to be no contact with the outside world.

We see very few children, so maybe humans will die out. In that case, will the forest see humans as essential to its survival and create a simulacrum of humanity's function in the forest? Or a complete facsimile?

At least, the forest will have zero carbon footprint (unless there's something else about the forest that we don't know about)

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Glimpse posted:

It was our people that killed most the villagers. Because we were afraid of what the wood had done to them, like what it has now done to us.

And given everything we've seen, they were right to be afraid.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Current wild, unsupportable theory: None, or at least very few of the people we we met in the Darkwood are 'real'. They're all replicas born from the trees. The petrified ones on the road just got too far from the wood (the white substance loses it's shape-changing property when isolated from the roots). We're about to find out if we're the real or not (have we died canonically in this playthrough?).

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I'm not sure how that squares with the voice driving us to leave, unless… we're a seed?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Klaus88 posted:

Shame you can't buy those in cold war era Poland.

A kabanos and some orangeade

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Glimpse posted:

I'm not sure how that squares with the voice driving us to leave, unless… we're a seed?

the idea that we're a "seed" sounds amazingly plausible

although, I had assumed that the mechanism by which the forest grows would be more akin to cell division than using seeds. Of course, we can't exactly mimic cell division if cells are entirely stationary...

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

If I had to survive something so horrible, I'd want to make sure that the forest dies so that no one will ever have to experience that again. If we have to die, so be it.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Get out of the forest, for the love of everything holy. No one wants to spend the rest of their life trying to battle the kind of stuff we’ve been fighting. Then get outside help to go evacuate anything mostly human. Rescuers should spend as little time as possible in the forest. We know where everyone is, so we can make a map to guide others.Then burn the forest. It’s kind of impossible to see the forest as anything benevolent. It needs to be gone.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

azren posted:

Incidentally Bacter, what does the Polish (I assume) you put at the beginning of your videos mean?

It says is intended to say "Welcome back, friends!"

Incidentally, it's kind of a tradition of mine to change my avatar/quote if I'm enjoying a LP to be something relevant. This certainly counts, so the picture is the wolf from the cartoon that the electronic game we found was about, and the quote is a traditional Polish phrase, that reads "Don't call a wolf out of the woods", and is the rough equivalent of "let sleeping dogs lie". The "you lunkhead" on the head (glupku) is my own addition.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I'm down with the seed theory. Right now, we are a walking plague, and we definitely should not go near anyone else. In eastern european style, life will be a constant parade of suffering until we :suicide:. Shotgun time.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

lofi posted:

I'm down with the seed theory. Right now, we are a walking plague, and we definitely should not go near anyone else. In eastern european style, life will be a constant parade of suffering until we :suicide:. Shotgun time.

Your avatar is very fitting.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

This av fits p much every post I make, I love it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:toot:

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Unironically, everybody, how close the polls are in this game is maybe my favorite part of the LP.

I think having that shows that the game is really doing something right - it means there's some tension. It SHOULDN'T be obvious what the next right move is!

And... we've decided what that is. And here it is.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR WATCHING!

This is absolutely one of my favorite LPs to date - it was a blast, I think we showed off the best the game has, and we've come to the end.

BUT WE'RE NOT THROUGH YET!

We still have

1) The winding path - where we do basically the opposite of everything we've seen here,
and
2) Genocide Joe - wherein things go very, very poorly for the forest dwellers.

Thanks again! I'm down to discuss this game in intricate detail forever, and now I finally can talk to you all about it without worrying about spoilers. Let me know what you think!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Our first interaction with a dog and it's filled with love and famiarity, not aggression and despair

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:woof:

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Huh. So we somehow got the best ending. Congrats goons!

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Welp, I gotta admit that was the last thing I was expecting. Horror games so often have a horrible ending. This one was nice.

I’m curious about the tree. Do we ever learn anything else about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I find it so hard to take this ending seriously.

Suddenly we can talk and no-one comments on our face?

We lived right next to the woods and came out in the right area.

After all the tunnels and numbered doors and in the crashed helicopter(s?) there's no perimeter or evacuation around the forest?

After being missing for almost a month your wife still has a note and soup left behind.