Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Domus posted:

Welp, I gotta admit that was the last thing I was expecting. Horror games so often have a horrible ending. This one was nice.

I’m curious about the tree. Do we ever learn anything else about it?

Well, there seem to be some hints that this ending is too good to be true.

- We suddenly are able to talk again, nobody is disturbed by our appearance.
- Our wife somehow knew we would be back and left soup for us, with us turning on the oven in what feels like a callback to our hideout ovens cooking that scented compound that was to protect us / cooking mushrooms into mutagens to inject ourself with.
- The credits claim Pirotrek managed to fly out of the galaxy in his rocket, but we found his rocket (or someone else's? but who else would make a rocket?) crashed and broken.
- The credits also claim that Wolfie after eating the chicken lady's sister is just full now and content to spend the rest of his life chasing his tail.

edit: efb on Tylana's post just beforehand.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

It does seem convenient. A lot of the characters seemed to live in their own little worlds, could be this is ours.

Were there other choices we could make at the end there? Turn around and go back to the Wood, maybe. Anything else?

I like that they didn't give us an explanation. The mystery is more compelling. I'm still thinking about what's going on there.

I've enjoyed this lp so much that I had to buy the game, even though I'm less sure I'd enjoy playing it. Wanted to give the devs something for the good times, though.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Some of these are EXCELLENT points, and I might give the video a once-over for anything funny, but I do want to say, I’m pretty sure Piotrek’s ending is describing him being happy as he smashes into the ground.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Yeah, I'm cherry picking ending texts too in retrospect. Many of the characters' endings (the elephant people, the snail person) are definitely not happy ones.

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
Well that's a nice ending.

I don't trust it, too bad we didn't check out the building a bit more before heading to bed.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Piotrek's says the stars move away from him, which is him falling, pretty sure.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I dunno what I was expecting, but that felt really unsatisfying, it's too nice. The coming-of-age-movie 'snailman grew up to become the new math teacher' text felt really out of place, too, with how coy the game has been about telling us what's happening up till now.

Thanks, Bacter, I really enjoyed this despite my feelings on the ending, and I think your added IC thoughts really strengthened the game!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean the ending seems too good to be true that we're back to normal, can talk, barely been gone. But if the ending is true then maybe our time in the woods was the unreal part

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The days barely last. Time speeds up at night. We didn't need to eat, drink or sleep the entire way. How long were we really in the woods?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Either the stranger was only shortly in the woods, or he's still in the woods... perhaps as one of the petrified people on the road towards the exit, living in a dream. He's been in there for so long and changed so much, could he even physically live outside the forest?

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
You guys might wanna take a look at the last vid again.

I think just burning it down would save everyone in the forest.

really hoping that was subtle enough if its not I can edit this.

ComicsandSlushies fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 25, 2020

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Huh. So we somehow got the best ending. Congrats goons!

Abused children and innocent woman eaten alive is "best" huh? :v:

I am looking forwards to seeing how horrible a decision leaving the chicken lady's sister with the Musician ends up being though. Because you just know it will be.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Thanks Bacter for the great (main) LP.

I liked the ending. They managed to have it be "good" at least for the main character. He finds peace, returns home, gets some proper rest. A lot of parts in it are confusing, and conflicting with what we had learned about our guy, or what we've come to expect due to his apparent mutation (or was it mostly perceived by others in the forest as such?) and his dependency on mushrooms and strange powers.

To be honest, I was expecting a team of scientist waiting for us in the outskirts of the forest. Or some Men in Black type of force.

But I liked the ending text. A lot of it would have been clearing up stuff for me, had Bacter not pointed it out during the LP (like Snails fate, the bittersweet / tragic ending of Pyotrek). It also must have been a fast way for the developers to point out the stuff that could be changed in the game, if we had made different decisions. Instead of having the cutscene style of the prologue that is -- which I wouldn't prefer because I remember that being more confusing for me about what was happening.

The text did not mention the doctor's fate, did it?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

ComicsandSlushies posted:

You guys might wanna take a look at the last vid again.

I think just burning it down would save everyone in the forest.

really hoping that was subtle enough if its not I can edit this.

No, that's good!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Oh I know this ending ain't it. It can't be. It's too convenient. I just don't know which kind/type of :unsmigghh: is lurking here.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

It's hard to say.

Well, it's not, but, you get the idea.

Hey! So! Things Seem To Be Happening, my droogs.

TL;DR THREAD IS BEING COPIED TO THE LP BEACH, WHICH WILL BE OUR NEW HOME IF THINGS EXPLODE HERE. BOOKMARK IT!

here

I truly love these games, and LPing them, and I've found that my videos tend to get roughly the same number of views if I've posted on here or not, which means I think many of you are already subscribed to my channel. Good! If not, you may want to do so.

That said, I Am But A Man - posting and talking about the game itself really is more than half the fun, and for me to keep going, I want some DISCUSSION.

I don't know what's gonna shake out, forums-wise. If they get transferred and life goes on, that's great. If not, I'm told here is a new place where LPs may be posted. I'll be moving there, as well as the LP zone

Otherwise, I'm on twitter @BacterTwit - I'd like to think about other ways to keep in touch with the vast filthy mass of all of you - I'm not REMOTELY done wanting to show off games, and literally the day before all this happened, my best friend Mzbundifund made some gestures towards starting something I've wanted for... just YEARS, at this point.

Thank you all so much, and let's not have this be the end of NOTHIN'.

(I'll keep posting here until such actions become infeasible)

Bacter fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 25, 2020

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Also, food for thought:

This image is GENIUS, and INCREDIBLE.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
The forest extending a winding tendril towards the character. Definitely not a fun thought. Well, that's what thermonuclear fire is for.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bacter posted:

Also, food for thought:

This image is GENIUS, and INCREDIBLE.

Here's my next question: Does this ending change at all if we never touch the mushroom/flesh/etc.?

Is our very presence in the forest a death sentence for humanity if we leave, or is it only if we consume the gunk that grows there?

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Is the forest a death sentence for humanity? Maybe it is for humanity as we know it.

I forgot all about the tendrils, I was confused wondering how a well-tread path managed to snake from the forest to our window, it being a tendril makes much more sense.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Oh yeah I caught the umbilical cord reference. That's good stuff.

Sensible
Mar 10, 2013
I got the tendril visual reference metaphor but I interpreted it physically as a river of some sort. Does playing on Nightmare unlock some kind of special secret ending?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Darkwood is slightly more than $5 on Steam!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/274520/Darkwood/

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I just picked up a copy

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'm glad you did! Sorry for the delay - I've just finished MOVING, so next bit is still on the way!

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Glad things are still on, I'm looking forward to seeing where things go in some of the other routes.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Can't wait to see more of this!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Happy to oblige!

Now that I'm through moving (though not through with trips to IKEA, which I'm beginning to think of like The Old Woods), I've finally had a moment to get rolling on the first of OUR ALTERNATE PLAYTHROUGHS!

There are set to be two of them - this one, in which I go as opposite as possible every decision we make in the main playthrough.

That means:

- Kill the pig
- Give musician the key
- Let Wolfie sabotage Piotrek's craft

so far. There are more to come in Chapter 2. There's really a surprising amount of content in the game! I've cut most of the identical stuff out - we're just catching the main story beats here. Hope you enjoy!

(needs time to load, o' course!)

Bacter fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 14, 2020

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:toot:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

it's up!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Can you "finish off" the Musician's parents before giving him the violin? And if you can, does that change the outcome of things?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Kid just can't catch a break, sheesh.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Can you "finish off" the Musician's parents before giving him the violin? And if you can, does that change the outcome of things?

Yep! If you don’t put the drawing into the mother’s inventory, they change into chompers as you leave, and you have to fight them.

Then, after he “visits”, the weeping musician refuses to talk to you further, and starts to bury them as you leave!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
But what happened to the pretty lady? Did the musician visit her at all?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

She is 100% unchanged, and the chicken lady has no dialogue about her, so, no, either he never visited or the chicken lady is more concerned with the dead pig:

Incidentally, i missed her dialogue after you kill the pig, which is basically “even if they come after me, I won’t give up my chickens!”

I’m sure that’ll go great.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

The subtitles near the end kinda freak out, some of them staying onscreen for longer than they're relevant. It makes things kinda confusing.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nice catch! Should be fixed

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh boy oh boy oh boy... it's time for some LOVELY setpieces! I think we did my favorite path the first time, but you really miss out on some fun stuff in the swamp, so let's show it OFF!

And then, once you've seen that... once you've become... illuminated.... let's move on. Let's see what happens in

the end

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
holy poo poo!

That was uh, one hell of a finale. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
So that good ending that the first run got so to speak is only so much if you let your guard down, and ignore all the weird warning signs. If you do absolutely nothing to investigate and revel in the comfortable dream, you are taken by the forest.

That is definitely completely tonally appropriate as far as this game goes...

Some things can't be saved, only purged. And through the sacrifice, those who remain can finally receive salvation.